The Bees' Knees - Challenge #1

beesknees

Newbie here! And late to the game (whoops!) Trying to find a way to keep myself accountable to working towards a healthier lifestyle.

Main Quest:

Ideally and just generally: I just want to feel better and healthier about myself. I'm currently in graduate school and working full time. I have about 2 years before my program is over, and it seems like the right time to keep in mind that: this time is going to pass whether or not I am in this program, and this time is going to pass whether or not I make a commitment to a healthier lifestyle. Might as well take advantage of the last couple years of my life in my 20's and shape up!

More specifically:

1. Lose around 15 pounds by late August

2. Eat more home cooked and less processed meals (and go for the salad/lighter options when out and socializing!)

3. Drink less beer! I love love love beer, but no need to have a beer at the end of the day on a Tuesday when I could just have a glass of water, might as well save that for a Saturday evening treat. I want to reduce my consumption to Fridays and Saturdays if I plan on having any.

SIX WEEK CHALLENGE #1

(Ok, not sure if I can keep up this point system because maybe it's complicated and maybe I'm going about this all wrong, but I'll see how it goes)

• Ride my bike to work when it's not raining at least 3-4 days out of the week.

1 point for every day I ride my bike. Total points possible per week = 7

• Only consume alcohol on Fridays and Saturdays (if that)

3 points each week I stick to this. -1 point each time I break this. Total points possible per week = 3

• Reduce eating out to 1-2 meals per week. This should also save me money!! :)

3 points each week I stick to this. -1 point each time I break this. Total points possible per week = 3

• Incorporate strength building into my routine (specifically, try out the beginner body weight work out).

​1 point each time I practice the BBWW. Total points possible per week = 7

TOTAL POINTS POSSIBLE PER WEEK: 20

> 18/20

B > 16/20

> 14/20

> 12/20

< 11/20

Rewards:

Working this out...suggestions welcome!

Side Quest:

I feel so much better when my home is clean and calming, but I don't make the time for it, especially when I get home so exhausted from work and school. I want to keep my home tidier, make my bed every day, and take my dog on longer walks in the morning. The latter part will require me waking up earlier, which is something I know will prove difficult. I want to start small by extending the amount even by 10-15 minutes per day at the beginning.

Welp. I guess that's it. Here goes! Cheers to the first 6 week challenge (even if it's a bit late)! To document where I'm at right now:

I'm 5'4" and about 170 pounds which is the most I've ever been. I hovered around 145 for a long time when I felt fairly good and pretty active, even though that may not be the best weight. It's time for change! When the weather is nice (which it finally is!) I try to ride my bike to work as often as I can. I'm pretty sedentary due to working full time in an office, but have a dog that gets me on my feet. I walk a lot as a city dweller, but not nearly as much as I should. I'm ready to feel stronger and healthier and more energized!

Challenge accepted!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

:very_drunk: Weekly Points:

Week 1: Late to challenge....

Week 2: 12/20...D?

Week 3: 13/20 D again...even though I feel like I'm doing sort of ok.

Week 4:

Week 5:

Week 6:

• Like 2

Here's my first challenge!  B)

Decided to sign up for NF emails. I was initially avoiding that because I get to much crap in my inbox and didn't want to add to that but I'm really glad I did. I'm going to start the beginner body weight work out tonight and see how that goes! I'm excited, and it seems like something I can keep in my routine. I'll report back tomorrow! Is anyone else doing that on a daily basis? How's that working out for you?

Ok I did the beginner body weight workout yesterday and it was great! I really want to keep it up. For now, I had to adjust the push ups because I don't have a lot of strength in that area. I do them on my knees and only do half each rep. Maybe I can up it by one extra each time?

Anyways, so far I am feeling good. I've cut down a bit on unnecessary snacking, am drinking more water, and no weeknight beers. I haven't ridden my bike this week due to blustery and rainy weather. Ho hum. Hopefully the weather will get better tomorrow and this weekend!

I'm not doing the paleo diet, but I am trying to consume less processed food and carbs. I'm also a vegetarian (ok ok I eat fish sometimes). Are there other veggies out there that are trying to better their diet and get a bit more active? Want some accountability and recipe swapping?? ...  :encouragement:

-   :bee:

I'm impressed to see you came up with a point system so easy to establish and maintain to keep track of all that! I'm a noob here, but I've been keeping health/weight/exercise journals forever and never thought of such a fun way to track progress. 

I signed up to the emails before I got the courage to sign up for the forums. Getting the e-mails every day felt so good, even if they were automated, it managed to make me want more support but from real people this time.

I also just started doing that beginner bodyweight workout, yesterday was my first time. I don't want to say I miserably failed, we'll say I didn't manage to complete it :tongue:. But I'll get back to it tomorrow, since half my muscles were reduced to a pulp yesterday, the rest today feels more than just necessary. I will go for walk though, there's no DOMS that can stop me from that.

Good luck for the rest of the week, you seem to me motivated and in the right attitude :).

Hi, I like your goals and points system. Hopefully the weather starts cooperating with you a littl bit more so you are able to enjoy riding your bike to work. I like the idea of adding the body weight work out to my routine every day as I have a hard time making it to the gym to lift heavy things and this would at least help gain some strength back.

I am also working on a graduate program and will be back to work full time in the fall, it is busy and hard to balance.

cliplynn

level 0 | recruit

STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | CON: 0 | STA: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0

Challenge #1:  Beginnings of an Upward Spiral

Day #2 of the beginner body weight workout. 2 reps, 6 pushups (1 more than yesterday!). Feeling a bit sore from yesterday. Will this get easier? It makes me feel so weak. For others struggling to get through routines - what do you think about or do to keep yourself from giving up early on a specific exercise? How do you get yourself to do those last few pushups or lunges?

I'm impressed to see you came up with a point system so easy to establish and maintain to keep track of all that! I'm a noob here, but I've been keeping health/weight/exercise journals forever and never thought of such a fun way to track progress. 

I'm a really new noob as well, and a lot of the point systems kind of overwhelm me so I'm testing it out with a semi-simple one and see how that goes this 6 week time around. And thanks for the encouragement! Keep up that beginner work out! Right now I'm not doing it to the fullest extent (push ups on my knees, and only 6 of them as opposed to 10. trying to up them one each day, and only did 2 reps this time because I was a bit sore). We can do this!

Hi, I like your goals and points system. Hopefully the weather starts cooperating with you a littl bit more so you are able to enjoy riding your bike to work. I like the idea of adding the body weight work out to my routine every day as I have a hard time making it to the gym to lift heavy things and this would at least help gain some strength back.
I am also working on a graduate program and will be back to work full time in the fall, it is busy and hard to balance.

Good luck with the rest of your grad program! :)

Visualization is key for me. When I want to give up I picture what I want to look like or I think of something that motivates me. Last night I was running and I wanted to stop, usually I run with my husband and daughter but last night I had to go alone. As I was nearing the end I wanted to stop so bad but I pictured my husband pushing my daughter in the stroller saying "come on mama!" like he usually does and it got me through. When I'm at the gym I like facing the mirror so I can see what I look like and watching myself finish those last few reps always helps. Just tell yourself its pain with a purpose! 

Great job keeping up with your workouts, even if you have to break for 30 or even 90 seconds try to get 10 pushups! You can do it! 

Hey Shynnee, I agree, visualization is generally pretty great. I have some weddings to go to in August, so I can keep visualizing that :D

This weekend started off pretty good - healthy dinner last night, healthy breakfast this morning, and already got my BBWW (2 reps only still...) out of the way for the day. Hopefully a break from homework with a bike ride or walk to the park with the pup.

:bee:

• Like 1

Hey Shynnee, I agree, visualization is generally pretty great. I have some weddings to go to in August, so I can keep visualizing that :D

This weekend started off pretty good - healthy dinner last night, healthy breakfast this morning, and already got my BBWW (2 reps only still...) out of the way for the day. Hopefully a break from homework with a bike ride or walk to the park with the pup.

Great start to the weekend...yay

~ C

c4cherry

~~ Level 1 ~~

Challenge 1,  Challenge 2

"Eventually all things will fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moments, and know that everything happens for a reason" ~ Anon

~~~~ STR 2 | STA 3 | DEX 2 | CON 1.5 | WIS 1 | CHA 2 ~~~~

Welp. Saturday was my day I was allowed to drink alcohol and I went a bit overboard. I also should have just ordered the salad when I was out with friends...I felt bloated and sick after an unhealthy meal.  :neglected: Need to keep that in mind next time. Plus, it's not like I DON'T like the healthy options at restaurants (they are usually delicious), I'm just conditioned to not order them for some reason... I'm not beating myself up about it, just reflecting and trying to figure out ways to avoid this same thing next time.

I did ride my bike though so that was good. Picked things back up today with a healthy breakfast. Planning to do BBWW later this evening and playtime with the pup.

Welp. Saturday was my day I was allowed to drink alcohol and I went a bit overboard. I also should have just ordered the salad when I was out with friends...I felt bloated and sick after an unhealthy meal.  :neglected: Need to keep that in mind next time. Plus, it's not like I DON'T like the healthy options at restaurants (they are usually delicious), I'm just conditioned to not order them for some reason... I'm not beating myself up about it, just reflecting and trying to figure out ways to avoid this same thing next time.

I did ride my bike though so that was good. Picked things back up today with a healthy breakfast. Planning to do BBWW later this evening and playtime with the pup.

Totally get what you mean by going 'overboard.' I find it's more out of habit. Time to re-condition I guess. Have you figured out any ways to avoid this in the future? Perhaps, have your friends remind you that you want to eat healthy (this can be tough though!) Or even better, why not ALL of you'll eat healthy!

Yay for your bike ride and eating a healthy breakfast.

Have an awesome week :)

~ C

c4cherry

~~ Level 1 ~~

"Eventually all things will fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moments, and know that everything happens for a reason" ~ Anon

Thanks for the encouragement C! Definitely time for reconditioning!

I tallied up my points for last week. Maybe I'm making it too harsh? I think the weather and not being able to ride my bike really brought things down. I got a D! 3 points for keeping my no drinking except fri and saturday goal, and 3 points for eating out no more than 2 times. But then only 4 points for the BBWW and 2 points for bike riding, so 12/20. I also realized the BBWW should be done every other day instead of every day. What do others do? Maybe if I plan on this I should rearrange my point system. I guess I don't care that much about the points but really about changing my habits, and those are a good way to sort of gauge what's going on.

ANYWAYS, already on track to step it up this week. Rode my bike today and yesterday and it FEELS SO GOOD. I can already feel the hills getting slightly easier (that is, unless I'm riding against the wind the entire time...I could even feel the resistance to picking up speed going DOWN the slope on the bridge...spring weather.... :onthego: )

• Like 1

But then only 4 points for the BBWW and 2 points for bike riding, so 12/20. I also realized the BBWW should be done every other day instead of every day. What do others do? Maybe if I plan on this I should rearrange my point system. I guess I don't care that much about the points but really about changing my habits, and those are a good way to sort of gauge what's going on.

ANYWAYS, already on track to step it up this week. Rode my bike today and yesterday and it FEELS SO GOOD. I can already feel the hills getting slightly easier (that is, unless I'm riding against the wind the entire time...I could even feel the resistance to picking up speed going DOWN the slope on the bridge...spring weather.... :onthego: )

Yeah maybe you're harsh with yourself a bit, but perhaps that's the only way to force yourself to go back on track? I'm a bit biased because I've been one of those people that get super guilty after just eating one piece of candy, and when I was obese, I was so ashamed of eating in front of people that food almost became a problem, even when I was alone. (I'm better now don't worry :tongue:). I think it's good to know where you fail, as long you don't drag it behind yourself for too long, keep this point system until the end of the challenge, and maybe change it for the next challenge if in the end you realise it is really to harsh and hard to follow? 

Also, I am definitely skipping days when it comes to the BBWW. I remember an article by Steve saying you need at least 24 hours, up to 48 between those - my muscles yell at me if I have a go at them too soon anyway. I actually have a routine like this that both makes me feel like I am not a lazy blob, and allows my muscles to rest:

Every day: 1 mile walk before breakfast, no matter what, even with DOMS.

day 1: BBWW

day 2: intervals

day 3: long slow walk, about 5km or more.

and I repeat the cycle. 

If you start doing the BBWW three or four times a week instead of expecting yourself to do it every day, maybe you'll feel more inclined to go on the bike and be better at your other goals as well. Maybe the point system wasn't the problem!

Thanks for the encouragement C! Definitely time for reconditioning!

I tallied up my points for last week. Maybe I'm making it too harsh? I think the weather and not being able to ride my bike really brought things down. I got a D! 3 points for keeping my no drinking except fri and saturday goal, and 3 points for eating out no more than 2 times. But then only 4 points for the BBWW and 2 points for bike riding, so 12/20. I also realized the BBWW should be done every other day instead of every day. What do others do? Maybe if I plan on this I should rearrange my point system. I guess I don't care that much about the points but really about changing my habits, and those are a good way to sort of gauge what's going on.

Yep, I'd say focus on changing the habits as against the points - you have it right there ;)

Hurrah for riding your bike

~ C

c4cherry

~~ Level 1 ~~

Oh jeez. I am SO EXHAUSTED this morning. I got at least 8 to 8.5 hours of sleep so I don't really have an excuse. My whole body feels just wiped out. Is it just adjusting to more activity? Am I not eating right or enough? I've only been sort of ball-parking my calories in my head just to make sure I don't go crazy overboard but maybe I'm not getting enough protein or something. I'm struggling with that because I am trying to do a semi-paleo diet, or eating with the paleo diet in mind when I make my choices. However, this is adjusted for vegetarianism so I gotta allow myself some protein from non-paleo foods. But now that I'm eating less beans and tofu I'm struggling to find good protein sources (but I do eat fish sometimes!) Anyways, aside from being completely wiped out today I am doing pretty good.

We shall see. BBWW this evening and back to biking tomorrow.

I have been actively avoiding posting anything. Not sure why since I don't feel like I'm toooo off track. Generally eating pretty healthy. Riding my bike. I splurged a little by allowing myself delicious tacos on Sunday. Been good about only drinking on Fri and Sat. I'm not keeping up with the BBWW as much as I should...riding my bike but I need to work more on my upper body! I feel like I'm just halfway motivated in this whole thing right now...losing steam.

I have been actively avoiding posting anything. Not sure why since I don't feel like I'm toooo off track. Generally eating pretty healthy. Riding my bike. I splurged a little by allowing myself delicious tacos on Sunday. Been good about only drinking on Fri and Sat. I'm not keeping up with the BBWW as much as I should...riding my bike but I need to work more on my upper body! I feel like I'm just halfway motivated in this whole thing right now...losing steam.

Noooooo. You can do it, I'm sure. I can give you steam, lost of it, but I'll stop talking about that because it looks like a bad fart joke. Seriously, that BBWW won't do itself, GET BACK TO IT.

You're almost there, you've hit a wall and you need to just push through it. After you do it'll be smooth sailing! Don't think about what you aren't doing, focus on what you are doing and improve on that until you're ready add more! 

Awww....Perhaps, take a moment to REFLECT and do some thinking. We all need some "thinking time ~ alone time" and when you come back, we'll be right here ...looking to hear from ya.

"With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts." ~~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Take care and have an awesome weekend ;)

~ C

c4cherry

~~ Level 1 ~~

Thanks for all of the encouragement everyone!!! Really helpful :) traveling for work this weekend and feeling good about coming back to the hotel after my meetings are done and getting back on that BBWW bandwagon.

Aaaand I also want to say that some work pants I have been avoiding because they were uncomfortably tight and not flattering now fit the way they used to!

Longer update on its way.

Thanks again everyone!!

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the encouragement everyone!!! Really helpful :) traveling for work this weekend and feeling good about coming back to the hotel after my meetings are done and getting back on that BBWW bandwagon.

Aaaand I also want to say that some work pants I have been avoiding because they were uncomfortably tight and not flattering now fit the way they used to!

Longer update on its way.

Thanks again everyone!!

Hello, just popped in to say hi...and see how's it going?

Hope all is well

~ C

c4cherry

~~ Level 1 ~~

Hey bees! I just joined the forums recently, so I'm still finding my way around. I love your quest! It's a good stepping stone to a healthier you  :smile-new:

My fiance and I have been trying to eat better too and one website that I absolutely love is The Minimalist Baker. It's a vegetarian site, not sure if you're diet is that extreme, but the thing I love about it is that the recipes are made specifically to save you time and money. There are ones that only take half an hour, ones that only use one pot, and my favorite, ones that use 7 ingredients or less! It's the perfect site for people who have trouble getting motivated to cook (like me  :witless: ). 

Hope your trip went well!

• Like 1
Ken The Brave
Colorado Adventurer!

Lvl: 1  Current Quest: Justice League

"Every reaction is a learning process; every significant experience alters your perspective." - Hunter S. Thompson
"People eat meat and think they will become as strong as an ox, forgetting that the ox eats grass" -Pino Caruso
"Your life will be molded by the thoughts you have." - The Power of Concentration, Theron Q. Dumont

Wow you guys are great! :) Thanks for keeping in touch.

I'm struggling getting back on the BBWW. I can't figure out exactly why I am avoiding it, I was enjoying it for a while. I keep making excuses that I'll get back to it tomorrow. Maybe school is just wiping me out. Finals are almost over!!

But I am still doing the biking and overall more conscious and healthier eating! 2 pairs of pants fit much better now ;) So while I'm still only making D's on my weekly points, it's still technically not failing and I'm finding that I am changing small habits which is really making me feel better overall about myself. Sustainable!

My fiance and I have been trying to eat better too and one website that I absolutely love is The Minimalist Baker. It's a vegetarian site, not sure if you're diet is that extreme, but the thing I love about it is that the recipes are made specifically to save you time and money. There are ones that only take half an hour, ones that only use one pot, and my favorite, ones that use 7 ingredients or less! It's the perfect site for people who have trouble getting motivated to cook (like me  :witless: ). 

Hope your trip went well!

Thanks for that suggestion! I LOVE cooking but with school and work I often lose the motivation! :) Definitely gonna use this.

Aaaand now to get back to seeing how others are doing! Everyone here is so great and supportive :D

Wow you guys are great! :) Thanks for keeping in touch.

I'm struggling getting back on the BBWW. I can't figure out exactly why I am avoiding it, I was enjoying it for a while. I keep making excuses that I'll get back to it tomorrow. Maybe school is just wiping me out. Finals are almost over!!

But I am still doing the biking and overall more conscious and healthier eating! 2 pairs of pants fit much better now ;) So while I'm still only making D's on my weekly points, it's still technically not failing and I'm finding that I am changing small habits which is really making me feel better overall about myself. Sustainable!

Thanks for that suggestion! I LOVE cooking but with school and work I often lose the motivation! :) Definitely gonna use this.

Aaaand now to get back to seeing how others are doing! Everyone here is so great and supportive :D

Hope it's going well

Cheers,

~ C

c4cherry

~~ Level 1 ~~