Becoming a Personal Trainer

For a long time now I've been thinking about becoming certified personal trainer. I work in tv/film so a lot of my work is freelance and temporary, and when I'm not doing that I work part time for a bar association office. It's a very low stress job and I'm thankful to have it, but it pays little and I'm bored out of my mind. Fitness is such a big part of my life and I think I would enjoy being a trainer, especially for children and teens (groups I've already worked with in the past). 

Has anyone else thought about doing this or is on their way to becoming a PT? I thought about doing it online via ACE, but my local community college has a 5 week summer course that offers hands on experience (plus has it's own AED/CPR class).

I thought at the least it's something I could do part time and that I would actually enjoy. The big issue is $$$, but if it's worth it (both mentally and financially) I'm going to do the summer course to try to get certified. 

I'd love any words of wisdom/advice! Thanks!

"If you die, you die. A man must constantly exceed his level." - Bruce Lee

I'm doing an online class (NCCA approved at 100 bucks is near impossible to beat based on what I've seen). I'm doing it to supplement my knowledge as I'm taking a nutrition class as well and hope to build a career in Wellness. 

I don't think I'd ever be able to fall back on it as a career though unless I had to. Lots of sales and too many people who don't listen for it to be as fulfilling as I want it to be. 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

You know, I've been thinking about how I want to spend my retirement...

Hmmm... That would sure beat Walmart Greeter.

One of my favorite trainers at my gym is a PT on his 'second career' after retirement.Dude is incredible, 70 years old, PT and has Parkinsons. Says that a healthy lifestyle and promoting a healthy lifestyle are the best ways to counter the effects of his age, disease and stay happy. 

Here is an article on one of his clients: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/fit-at-102/2013/03/12/786a7e96-8346-11e2-b99e-6baf4ebe42df_story.html

Unfortunately Mr. Clark recently passed, but was still an inspiration still working out at 103.

Here is the Livingsocial deal: https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1439210-online-certificate-of-personal-training-course?pos=0

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

I was considering it as a side job until we had the baby. Ain't nobody got time fo dat now though.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Awesome, thank you so much!  I bought it cause if I don't think I'd enjoy it I only spent $100, and if I do then I have a cert! 

I did the same exact thing haha. Well it's 100 instead of 500- plus the 75 or 25 dollar fee wherever you get the test administered.....and if nothing else I spent 100 on resources and things to learn!

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

I did the same exact thing haha. Well it's 100 instead of 500- plus the 75 or 25 dollar fee wherever you get the test administered.....and if nothing else I spent 100 on resources and things to learn!

I looked for courses through community college; $725 + $100 textbook. But the test was included. Thanks loads.
  • Like 1

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...