Ruckus is the worst: A 5-ish week challenge

Ruckus

Hey...so...I dropped off the face of the Rebellion for a while. And an email with a PM from the Tin Man made me realize I should probably come back.

My goal is still to finish the 2015 Distance Medley, and I'm 1/3 of the way done with that (or 3.1/22.4 if we're talking miles).

(sorry not sorry), we went through the worst winter since they've been keeping records. My office moved out of the city, so my commute tripled, which is killing my desire to run when I get home. I'm #NotWeatherproof, so I may or may not have taken most of the winter off from stadium (but I've been going more recently!). I ran the BAA 5K in 26:01, which is slower than I was hoping for. I went to the Marathon Expo with some November Project people and got to try on expensive sneakers and run in a giant hamster wheel (something everyone should do once in their lives). And I volunteered at the marathon near mile 23, so I wasn't with the big November Project group, but we still had a good time at the course crossing despite the weather.

Anyway...goals:

1. Run. I'll settle for once a week at this point with all the life stuff I've got going on. But I've got a 10k at the end of June that I need to train for, so there's that.
  2. Eat clean(er). I'm going for paleo-ish, since I love cheese too much to give it up just yet. Also sandwiches, because I haven't figured out how I'm going to do lunches just yet.
  3. Stadiums. Go to NP Wednesdays every week barring injury, illness, or unsafe weather conditions.

Life: Get back on the German tree. I haven't practiced since January and one of my goals was to finish the tree on Duolingo by the end of the year so...do that every day.

And, finally, be around here more. I feel like I'll do better if I actually post more regularly or be more active around here.

Cheers!

Scout / Assassin. Ich spreche etwas deutsch.

Strava || Duolingo
Challenges: 2015/06/08 (current) | 2015/04/13 | 2014/11/10 | 2014/09/15 | 2014/07/28

"You just have to run to the end of the block. It's not as hard as you think it is."
--Leonard Fisher (12 and Holding)

Hi and welcome back.

I'm glad you listened to Tinny although that can be a chore in itself.  :playful:

Looks like consistency is the rule of the challenge, huh? Well, there's definitely a major desire for that from lots of folks this challenge. The mini is even set up to help with that if you're interested. You can hop into a group by clicking on the spreadie link in the first post and finding a group that fits your needs and then finding their accountability thread and ask to join in.

I hope posting on your challenge thread helps keep you focused and we are more than willing to help out as we can.

Best of Luck. Hop into the Tavern if you haven't already.

Cheers

Oh and click the 'follow this topic' button up top so you know when folks are posting here.

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Consistency is definitely the name of the game. On that note...

I skipped stadium this morning. I was feeling a little off yesterday, but I probably could've gone this morning. Next week is PR Day, so I'm definitely going (#verbal).

Eating today was terrible, but I'm planning on cooking tomorrow (if I don't go run, since I tend not to eat much after a run). Zucchini noodles instead of pasta. Will report back since I've never done this before.

• Like 1

Strava || Duolingo
Challenges: 2015/06/08 (current) | 2015/04/13 | 2014/11/10 | 2014/09/15 | 2014/07/28

"You just have to run to the end of the block. It's not as hard as you think it is."

I said I'd report back on the noodles. I think I overcooked them a bit, but they're not bad. I did manage to cut myself (again) with the mandolin, but it's not bad, just inconvenient.

Strava || Duolingo

Damn those mandolins. My nephew just cut his hand at work the other day as well. He's a pizza chef.

I too did a little cooking experiment, pizza actually, but I under-cooked my crust. We'll just keep experimenting, right?

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Damn those mandolins. My nephew just cut his hand at work the other day as well. He's a pizza chef.

I too did a little cooking experiment, pizza actually, but I under-cooked my crust. We'll just keep experimenting, right?

I'm into it. Have you considered a meatza (provided you eat meat)? Definitely something you don't want to undercook though. Tonight I attempted a quinoa dish, which took FOREVER, but I've got 3 days worth of leftovers and no injuries. Overall not bad.

Today was spring fling at the alma mater, so I caught up with some college friends, and they're all pretty impressed with my athletic side, which is pretty cool since I was the less-fit friend while we were in school. (hello, run-on sentence)

Didn't practice the German yesterday because I ended up going out. I also impulse bought new running shoes because New Balance was running 20% off. I've still got at least 100 miles left in my current ones...whoops.

Tomorrow I'm planning on running with BBR before I head out for my 5.4-mile leg of a canoe relay with the company team.

If someone told me a year ago where I'd be today, I probably would've laughed in their face. It's not really worthy of a success-story post, but I'm pretty proud of myself.

Strava || Duolingo

Oh I beg to differ!

Success is yours when you earn it and you DEFINITELY earned some serious gold medals!

Ooh have fun canoeing. I really want to get on and in the water this summer.

Keep kicking booty!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Post canoeing update: my body hurts. Overall we didn't do too well, but my leg passed 2 teams during the starting portage and another 3 in the water, so I'm pretty satisfied.

Didn't end up going to BBR as I didn't sleep well. The "5 more minutes" turned into "oh s*** it's 9:30."

Picked up my car today, so hopefully that means I'll be adding hills on Friday mornings with November Project. Just have to determine if I can get to work on time.

• Like 1

Strava || Duolingo

Hey...so...I dropped off the face of the Rebellion for a while. And an email with a PM from the Tin Man made me realize I should probably come back.

My goal is still to finish the 2015 Distance Medley, and I'm 1/3 of the way done with that (or 3.1/22.4 if we're talking miles).

Since I been gone (sorry not sorry), we went through the worst winter since they've been keeping records. My office moved out of the city, so my commute tripled, which is killing my desire to run when I get home. I'm #NotWeatherproof, so I may or may not have taken most of the winter off from stadium (but I've been going more recently!). I ran the BAA 5K in 26:01, which is slower than I was hoping for. I went to the Marathon Expo with some November Project people and got to try on expensive sneakers and run in a giant hamster wheel (something everyone should do once in their lives). And I volunteered at the marathon near mile 23, so I wasn't with the big November Project group, but we still had a good time at the course crossing despite the weather.

Anyway...goals:

1. Run. I'll settle for once a week at this point with all the life stuff I've got going on. But I've got a 10k at the end of June that I need to train for, so there's that.
  2. Eat clean(er). I'm going for paleo-ish, since I love cheese too much to give it up just yet. Also sandwiches, because I haven't figured out how I'm going to do lunches just yet.
  3. Stadiums. Go to NP Wednesdays every week barring injury, illness, or unsafe weather conditions.

Life: Get back on the German tree. I haven't practiced since January and one of my goals was to finish the tree on Duolingo by the end of the year so...do that every day.

And, finally, be around here more. I feel like I'll do better if I actually post more regularly or be more active around here.

Cheers!

Ohai! Glad to see you back, I have struggled myself with not being around NF as much as I would like to. Nice 5k time! And I would have been very amused if you said you were at mile 18...we could have met and not known it!

Hi and welcome back.

I'm glad you listened to Tinny although that can be a chore in itself.  :playful:

HEYWAITAMINUTE

Next week is PR Day, so I'm definitely going (#verbal).

Noted. 5:30 group, I assume?

Tomorrow I'm planning on running with BBR before I head out for my 5.4-mile leg of a canoe relay with the company team.

If someone told me a year ago where I'd be today, I probably would've laughed in their face. It's not really worthy of a success-story post, but I'm pretty proud of myself.

I still need to connect with BBR. I love the NP folks but still don't really know many of them because our Tribe is so large. Smaller groups like TBC and BBR seem like a great way to get to know fellow Tribe members. Heck AgentSka, aka Mr. November Project, said he didn't start to get to know people that well until TBC.

And something that starts with "If someone told me a year ago where I'd be today, I probably would've laughed in their face" sounds like a success story to me! You've changed what is often the most difficult thing to change - your self-perception.

Post canoeing update: my body hurts. Overall we didn't do too well, but my leg passed 2 teams during the starting portage and another 3 in the water, so I'm pretty satisfied.

Didn't end up going to BBR as I didn't sleep well. The "5 more minutes" turned into "oh s*** it's 9:30."

Picked up my car today, so hopefully that means I'll be adding hills on Friday mornings with November Project. Just have to determine if I can get to work on time.

ooooh hills...you can't hide in a 5:30 group there!

• Like 1

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

In attempt to answer all of that in order (trying to break up the quote is way too much effort):

• I kind of wish I was at mile 18 since I heard it's a party. Hopefully volunteering this year will get me in next year. If not, to the cheering station!
  • Yup 5:30 group. However, I forgot about the concert I'm about to go to (The Wombats) when I posted that, so I may or may not break my verbal depending on when I get home.
  • BBR is the best. We're a little slower than TBC, but I like it that way (for now...?). I definitely agree with AgentSka, as almost everyone I actually know is from BBR with maybe 5 exceptions.
  •  

You've changed what is often the most difficult thing to change - your self-perception.

That sounds like it belongs on a cheesy motivational poster, but I like it. Thanks!

• I guess I can't hide at hills. Maybe I'll see you there?

Strava || Duolingo

@The Tin Man -- No offense my dear Tinny.  :loyal:

@Ruckus -- sounds like the canoeing went well for your team, great. I truly hope sleep gets into a better pattern fro you. Mmm.. hills!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Glad you had fun, though We Missed You.

Friday is a maybe for me. #notaverbal

Sometimes I'm glad that I don't show up enough to warrant an appearance on the Wall of Shame.

Classic #notaverbal. Did you end up going? I never actually #verballed for Friday, so I don't feel too bad about not going. Been dealing with some personal stuff (that will hopefully be resolved soon), so maybe I'll get 2 days of NP in this week, which hasn't happened since November (kind of, I left after the warm-up one Monday because work). #notaverbal.

My plan is to get a run in tomorrow since it looks like it's FINALLY nice out (for real this time).

Strava || Duolingo

Oh today is gorgeous here in Vermont. I have been outside maybe half the day or more.

I hope tomorrow's run is under the sun and that you have a grans time.

:onthego:  :onthego:

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Sunday run wasn't spectacular, I would've gone today but I had to do some serious laundry. I did end up wandering around Mayfair (they shut down Harvard Square for a music/food festival) for like 5 hours. I got a wicked sunburn, which I must say was worth it because it was absolutely gorgeous out.

Things are looking up and I'm shooting for 2 days of NP this week. Major FIMO from today's deck, it looked awesome.

• Like 1

Strava || Duolingo

Sometimes I'm glad that I don't show up enough to warrant an appearance on the Wall of Shame.

Classic #notaverbal. Did you end up going? I never actually #verballed for Friday, so I don't feel too bad about not going. Been dealing with some personal stuff (that will hopefully be resolved soon), so maybe I'll get 2 days of NP in this week, which hasn't happened since November (kind of, I left after the warm-up one Monday because work). #notaverbal.

My plan is to get a run in tomorrow since it looks like it's FINALLY nice out (for real this time).

I did end up going. I wore my NP shirt too, realizing that we never coordinated how to actually meet. I had a suspicion that you weren't there because at hills it's hard to miss people since you're always criss-crossing. Hope personal stuff is resolving okay...

Sunday run wasn't spectacular, I would've gone today but I had to do some serious laundry. I did end up wandering around Mayfair (they shut down Harvard Square for a music/food festival) for like 5 hours. I got a wicked sunburn, which I must say was worth it because it was absolutely gorgeous out.

Things are looking up and I'm shooting for 2 days of NP this week. Major FIMO from today's deck, it looked awesome.

It did look awesome. Decks are least likely for me to get to them, unfortunately. Stoopid Monday rest day. I did not know about Mayfar. The gf and I had our run go through Harvard. Big mistake. Then we bumped into the Walk for Hunger along the Charles. People everywherrre. We were fortunate to have used sunscreen before going out because we also putzed about town and checked out the RunBase. And by "we were fortunate" I mean "she made me and yes I admit I'm glad she did".

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

I did end up going. I wore my NP shirt too, realizing that we never coordinated how to actually meet. I had a suspicion that you weren't there because at hills it's hard to miss people since you're always criss-crossing. Hope personal stuff is resolving okay...

The personal stuff has resolved itself, which is awesome. I wasn't feeling great yesterday morning so I skipped/kind of broke a verbal to a friend (do you need to use the word #verbal for it to count officially? If so, then no verbals were broken). I fully intend to show up tomorrow.

It did look awesome. Decks are least likely for me to get to them, unfortunately. Stoopid Monday rest day. I did not know about Mayfar. The gf and I had our run go through Harvard. Big mistake. Then we bumped into the Walk for Hunger along the Charles. People everywherrre. We were fortunate to have used sunscreen before going out because we also putzed about town and checked out the RunBase. And by "we were fortunate" I mean "she made me and yes I admit I'm glad she did".

Decks are also hard for me since I need to be able to park nearby. I know you're not supposed to drive, but I wouldn't be able to get to work on time otherwise, and we're weirdly strict about that. But rest days are important.

I had heard about Mayfair, but I forgot about it until I left for my run through Harvard around noon. It was slow going but it smelled delicious. Ended up going back afterward and met up with the aforementioned friend I may or may not have verballed to. I wasn't planning on being out in the sun for 5 hours, and I don't actually know if I own sunscreen (should probably fix that...). Your girlfriend is a smart lady.

It's entirely possible we crossed paths since I caught up with part of the Walk for Hunger on my way back home. The RunBase is pretty cool. I'll have to check it out again since I went during marathon weekend and it was crazy packed.

Strava || Duolingo

Getting up in the morning is hard so (once again) I didn't go on Friday.

I'm shooting for the full week this week since #deck is near Longwood (which has parking near the T that hopefully won't be full at 6:30 AM). I've decided to #verbal every day on the tracker, which I've done for Monday already, with the hope that it will keep me motivated to show up. I'm also going to BBR tomorrow morning. #accountability

There's now a deadline for me to finish my Duolingo challenge since my boss approved my Eurotrip: September 1, 2015. I fully plan to impress/confuse my mom with my surprise German skills when we get to Berlin.

• Like 1

Strava || Duolingo

I didn't end up going Monday and (once again) I plan on going Friday. I've agreed to drive a new recruit tomorrow, so I guess I'm definitely going.

• Like 1

Strava || Duolingo

I WENT TO STADIUM GUYS. And my friend came with me. He was crushing it at first, but his pace caught up to him (He definitely did well over 19 sections, the newbie minimum). He says he'll come back, and he also might go with me on Friday.

Today's workout was an out-and-back, where we turned around after 22:30 and had to try and make it back to section 37 in the remaining 22:30. I only reached the top of 35, but I'm ok with that since I took a quick break to try not to throw up (I didn't!). Grand total of 34 sections in 43:45, which is pretty close to my PR pace.

• Like 1

Strava || Duolingo

So I didn't end up going on Friday because my legs were still ridiculously sore. I did play some pick-up soccer this afternoon, which was a nice change of pace.

Tomorrow is graduation at the alma mater. I might try and run in the afternoon, but I guess it depends on when I get back.

Strava || Duolingo