• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gogor

what is your ultimate MONK image idea?

The first person that comes to mind is Yoda.  I'd have to spend some time thinking about why, exactly, but he's definitely on the top of the list.  

Yoda_Attack_of_the_Clones.png

• Like 1

One of my teachers, Sensei Diane is the MONK for me. She inspires me with her passion for learning and teaching the art of Jujutsu. She's also just badass and it's so cool to see her take down a guy twice her size. 😎

• Like 1

Ultimate monk?  I'll put the random memory ranting here:

Thanks for triggering a nostalgic trip through my happiest gaming / video monking memories!

ddc28b376d105d88731a79e2ff74dbeb.jpg

My oldest monk memory is Sabin from FFVI – Not my ideal, but I loved punching in the Blitzes and the brotherly banter with Edgar...

1a5d2d3d0a37537d4f907f4df92d2e74.jpg

The next monk in my life was Kenshin. Ruthless assassin turned wanderer. Gentle spirit, slow to anger, fights when necessary. And, come on, “Oro!?†Can I give a monk bonus points for cuteness?!? Probably not... I also love how he had to learn to value his own life from his master before he could go take on his final enemy.

15e8e709d511f5c39555443770aa0a27.jpg

Rock Lee scores a spot here for ruthless determination, unshakable loyalty, and for showing how hard work can overcome limitations. His terribly awkward comments / actions are so awkward it hurts... Definitely not my top pick, but you gotta respect the indomitable Will of Fire in that one.

91e9b5a620e9fccf6d0d3eedaf6f15a2.jpg

My current top pick is Ip Man from the movie with Donnie Yen. No idea how historically accurate they were with the movie, but the character Ip Man is a top-notch monk in my mind. I love how he respects others, especially his family. Not easily provoked, he fights when necessary and when he does it's just SO fast! And efficient! Well, at least to my untrained eyes he seems to not waste any energy taking out his opponents. Plenty of movies show flashy kicks and combos. What I remember about Ip Man is that he gets the job done like a boss. I just found out there is a sequel while looking for this picture. Looks like I have plans for Saturday night!

• Like 1

Ultimate monk?  I'll put the random memory ranting here:

Thanks for triggering a nostalgic trip through my happiest gaming / video monking memories!

ddc28b376d105d88731a79e2ff74dbeb.jpg

My oldest monk memory is Sabin from FFVI – Not my ideal, but I loved punching in the Blitzes and the brotherly banter with Edgar...

1a5d2d3d0a37537d4f907f4df92d2e74.jpg

The next monk in my life was Kenshin. Ruthless assassin turned wanderer. Gentle spirit, slow to anger, fights when necessary. And, come on, “Oro!?†Can I give a monk bonus points for cuteness?!? Probably not... I also love how he had to learn to value his own life from his master before he could go take on his final enemy.

15e8e709d511f5c39555443770aa0a27.jpg

Rock Lee scores a spot here for ruthless determination, unshakable loyalty, and for showing how hard work can overcome limitations. His terribly awkward comments / actions are so awkward it hurts... Definitely not my top pick, but you gotta respect the indomitable Will of Fire in that one.

91e9b5a620e9fccf6d0d3eedaf6f15a2.jpg

My current top pick is Ip Man from the movie with Donnie Yen. No idea how historically accurate they were with the movie, but the character Ip Man is a top-notch monk in my mind. I love how he respects others, especially his family. Not easily provoked, he fights when necessary and when he does it's just SO fast! And efficient! Well, at least to my untrained eyes he seems to not waste any energy taking out his opponents. Plenty of movies show flashy kicks and combos. What I remember about Ip Man is that he gets the job done like a boss. I just found out there is a sequel while looking for this picture. Looks like I have plans for Saturday night!

I'm not sure if you already knew or not, but Steve wrote an article on Wing Chun(Ip Man's martial art): http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/23/kung-fu/

• Like 1

post-18833-0-59827800-1429928777_thumb.j

King Arthur would be my ultimate ideal, the picture of chivalry and the chivalric code. Even though most of my time is spent in Japanese martial arts I live by chivalry instead of bushido.

• Like 1

Thank you for the amazing answers, all of you.

What are the characteristics of an ideal monk ?

Also, one of good examples for me is this man:

osensei2.jpg

O sensei Morihei Ueshiba, founder of aikido.

Not only he led a life dedicated to dilligent practice,

but I was amazed by the amount of hard work that he did!

For instance, one of the things is that he made a village.

Made. A. Village.

..let that sink in for a bit.

• Like 1

I feel like this would not be a very popular opinion, but ... Yuri Boyka from Undisputed. Trained for a long time in harsh conditions, his body has become a machine, he never gives up, even when his leg is broken (which is kind of a retarded scene, but still)

tumblr_msnpdq7f9G1s26ur6o1_400.gif

*But yeah, Bruce Lee would've kicked his ass* 

I'm not sure if you already knew or not, but Steve wrote an article on Wing Chun(Ip Man's martial art): http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/23/kung-fu/

I hadn't seen that one!  I wish there was a school near here...

King Arthur would be my ultimate ideal, the picture of chivalry and the chivalric code. Even though most of my time is spent in Japanese martial arts I live by chivalry instead of bushido.

Yes!  Chivalry is not dead!

Made. A. Village.

..let that sink in for a bit.

I wonder how many kids today would immediatley think of building something in Mine Craft when they're told this...  We have a bit of a disconnect from reality and our idea of "doing" something is a bit skew...

I hadn't seen that one!  I wish there was a school near here...

Yes!  Chivalry is not dead!

I wonder how many kids today would immediatley think of building something in Mine Craft when they're told this...  We have a bit of a disconnect from reality and our idea of "doing" something is a bit skew...

Wing Chun actually offers online courses, taught by the Ip Man lineage of masters. I have not actually used it myself so I can't attest to it's credibility, but if you're interested you should check it out: http://www.kwokwingchun.com/about-wing-chun/about-sam-kwok/long-distance-learning/

Wing Chun actually offers online courses, taught by the Ip Man lineage of masters. I have not actually used it myself so I can't attest to it's credibility, but if you're interested you should check it out: http://www.kwokwingchun.com/about-wing-chun/about-sam-kwok/long-distance-learning/

Learning a martial art online sounds a little scam-ish, though we do form checks and stuff on the forum here so there is a place for that as a resource in your tool box.  Thanks for the link.