DreamDancer dreams of walking gracefully

DreamDancer

Introduction: Hi I am DreamDancer and this is my first challenge.

I like to dance , but I can hardly walk at the moment. (Half a city block at a time, tops.) It's painful and I limp. I also weigh 170 lbs - and one of my life goals is to be 5ft tall. (... Only 1.5 inches to go...)

I have a job (painting objects) that requires heavy lifting interspersed with 7.5 hours of sitting. In 2001 my car was T-boned by an SUV. The other driver was uninsured and my insurer paid out as little as they could get away with for physical therapy.

I opted not to get another car - and instead moved to a place where I could easily access public transport and walk to my destination. I have also been working with Egoscue's 'Pain Free' exercises since. (The exercises aren't pain free. If you do them they are supposed to balance your muscles etc so you don't experience pain - i. e. I did a self supervised pt program .)

I am also a certified massage therapist - but dropped my state licensure after the first accident. So I also do self massage. I was doing pretty well with that - but then was hit by a pick-up truck on my way to work last October.

I joined the rebellion because I was a bit over weight before the first accident - then gained 20 lbs- and another 20 lbs after the pedestrian accident. (I started eating paleo two weeks ago at 178 lbs)

I also joined the rebellion because it seems to me that I was released from physical therapy with instructions to stretch but not strengthen my muscles - and I think it leads to a problem because it feels like my left leg collapses. (and also at pain level 5 out of 10.) Plus every week or so I make some small movement, and wind up racked up again - at pain level 7-9.

The pt concentrated on neck and lower back with little to no attention to my left leg and hip (impacted by the truck), my right foot (dragged under the truck until it stopped) or my knees (which took most of the impact with the pavement. You usually get hit at least twice when you're a pedestrian - first by the vehicle and next by whatever you land on.) I bought an inversion table and so far hanging in it has been the most help in straightening out my legs.

I also have a DX of fibromyalgia, Sjorgrens syndrome, reynaud phenomenon and hypoglycemia.

Main Quest: To get through one full day without pain in six months or less, and lose 55 lbs by the end of the year

Quest #1: to be somebody who eats breakfast including vegetables every morning before work. I will eat the largest percent of my calories in this meal. This is to start breaking up my day, which has become one long 'grazing' meal, into sections of times not spent grazing and times eating a meal mindfully.

I will eat breakfast each day for 2 weeks in order to establish it as a new habit. I will eat at least one egg with 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/2 cup of broccoli, 1/2 sweet potato and a few tbsp of guacamole by the end of 6 weeks, adding each portion as I conquer adding the previous one.

Batcave= rearrange the kitchen and fridge. Keep Microwave dish, for breakfast eggs with turmeric, smack in the middle of an otherwise empty counter and other portions in the freezer/food-dispenser. Lunch and dinner portions to be prepared on the weekend. Assess and remove tempting non paleo food.

----

Quest #2: to be somebody that walks without a limp or my left leg buckling. Better yet - I will be somebody who walks gracefully.

I will invert (in the inversion table, henceforth known as *the rack *) for 10 minutes without a break, every other day, with 20 minutes + of self massage, stretching and trigger point therapy on alternating days - in order to break up adhesions (concentrating on my left leg and right foot. ). I will work up to a full 10 minutes of continuous inversion by increasing the amount of time I invert by 30 seconds each time. (Currently able to invert 3.5 minutes x 2 + >1 minute at a lower setting.)

Batcave: put the *rack* and implements of massage torture (golf balls, tennis balls, marbles, foam rollers, paint rollers, pvc tubing and theracane) in easy-access, dedicated spots. Assess and remove distracting elements and place in storage or give them away.

----

Quest #3: be somebody who can get through a basic bodywork warmup in less than half an hour. (This is based on the warmup on the website warmup, not the Academy warmup.)

I will start with walking up and down the stairs, starting with one flight. I will increase the number of flights by one, every two days, until I am able to climb/decend stairs for a full 10 minutes. After I am able to to able to walk it in the allotted time, I will start decreasing the time limit for each set of stairs until I am able to add another set of stairs.

Batcave: yet to be determined.

Life Quest: Complete the 'Code Louisville' course and get a decent (non-poverty level) job.

Motivation: At the end of the quest I get to buy myself a Nerd fitness tee shirt. And I want to learn to belly dance.

Measurement etc - yet to be determined.

• Like 1

My current 6 week Adventurer challenge - DreamDancer Respawns

Previous challenges - #1 - #2  - #3

My NF introduction post

website

Goal: to be "20 pounds of crazy in a five pound bag."

Well it seems that it takes me about two minutes to climb 4 flights of stairs, going up only. And I am severely winded and in pain. I almost had to stop.

Today was my two-flight day : but the fire alarm went off. So I don't know how long it took to go down. (I had already stopped long enough to put on my skeletoes.I figured I probably shouldn't pause to set my phone stopwatch... )

One of these days the fire alarm will be for real? (This is the other reason I chose this quest - despite that this is the 2nd time this week that the alarm went off - if there really is a fire sometime - I don't want to be remembered as the smell of extra crispy bacon - who couldn't get her fat tuche downstairs.)

• Like 1

My NF introduction post

website

Mini challenge #1

1. Is your overall quest achievable (over a short or long period of time)? Is it reasonable?

<<To get through one full day without pain in six months or less, and lose 55 lbs by the end of the year>>

I meant to add get through a day without shakes, feeling like I would pass out - but I managed it before posting the challenge, so left it out. I have been pain free without meds before, just not since the October accident - so doable? Yes. Loose 55 lbs? That's 6 or 7 per month (and I already lost 8 in the past 2 weeks) so yes.

2. Do your 3 quests all build towards your main quest in little ways, or are you taking on too much? Do your quests have sub-quests or is it just one thing to focus on?

They build towards my main quest because preparing to work out, eating more routinely, and especially inverting /massage will all help with my pain level and ability to walk, which will in turn help lose weight.

3. Are your main goals realistic? Can you scale them to smaller steps to fit your life better, even if it will make it take a little longer to achieve them?

The goals I started with last week (prior to posting weren't doable (by me). I had to break them down more - and postpone one. What I finally posted is the revised list and I have already fit them in.

4. Are your goals able to be measured and tracked? What will you use to track them?

My boyfriend tracks the inversion - he spots me in the rack. I got a 'don't break the chain' app on my phone to track the rest. As I am able to increase stairs climbed etc I revise the 'link' of the chain to reflect what I am working on next.

5. How are you grading your goals? Are they pass/fail (“every dayâ€, “not even once over the six weeksâ€)? Is there a reward for the effort, or are you only grading yourself on whether or not you “lose the weight†or “run the distanceâ€?

Eating breakfast is pass /fail. I still have to calculate grades so I will add a bit of wiggle room.

6. What is your plan for continuing/altering/grading those goals if you become ill or injured?

Inverting - allow myself to do the inversions in sets as I am now but keep the total goal at 10 minutes. Stair climb could be backed off to 5 minutes or less sets of stairs. Eating breakfast - just make sure that I am eating something - even if I don't add veg.

7. Did you take into consideration any special occasions (Labour Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc) that may occur during the challenge? What modifications do you need to build into your goals for those?

The first part is taking place during Derby - so none of the goals involve going outside my building - except to get groceries - because it's difficult to get around downtown during the two weeks of festivities.

8. Do any of your main goals conflict with each other? Will one goal make it hard to do another?

Eating a bigger breakfast helps with inversion if I invert at night - because I won't have to wait until dinner is digested. Inverting should help my ability to walk straight and strengthening muscles with stair climbing should help the straightening stick. Massage alternate nights should help break up adhesions so the inversion and stairs are more effective and increasingly less likely to be reinforcing an altered walking gait.

9. Do you already have the time in your schedule to actually complete the goals you’ve set? If not, what are you planning to do to make time for them?

I will rearrange the batcave (and watch a few less Criminal Minds marathon reruns. ) if I can't eat the eggs before work I will pack them up and eat as soon as I get to work. I can also go up and down the stairs at work. I arrive about 15 minutes early most days.

10. Are you trying to build multiple habits, or is all your energy focused on your main quest? Your mini quest: Make sure your goals are definitely SMART.

I am building multiple habits but mostly by making them a higher priority than watching tv or rearranging when I do them (like eating)

My NF introduction post

website

Modifying Quest #3

Replace with : Quest #3:

To be somebody who walks 10,000 steps per day.

I will keep a record of steps each day, increasing the amount I generally take (5000) by 200 every day until I a able to walk at least 10,000 steps.

Batcave: keep barefoot shoes someplace unavoidable. Walk in the morning before breakfast. Walk around the block to get to the bus stop. Walk up and down the stairs instead of taking the elevator. Don't allow myself to come up to my apartment until my goal is completed that day. Remember to keep my phone in my pocket! Keep an extra battery charged!

It turned out to be a bit too many habits at a time.

My NF introduction post

website

Revising Quest #3 yet again. (I think I will allow myself a pass-fail on this one - - I pass if I manage to figure out how to make this one SMART by the end of the challenge.)

I want it to go towards a goal of fitness - somehow feed into the ability to do the basic workout or length of time I can walk. Yesterday I walked over 6000 steps - not because it was the goal but because I went shopping. I also walked a block more than I usually do, to get to a shop I haven't been going to since the accident. I had to stand for quite a while when I was rearranging the batcave too.

This resulted in such intense pain that I couldn't sit to watch TV later on and had to eat an egg with turmeric around 2 am. (Turmeric has proved to be a better anti inflammatory than any pill.)

My NF introduction post

website

Wow, you're so brave to tackle all these things at the same time. I don't think there's greater motivation than to free oneself from pain, and I hope you'll get there. You seem to be good at tracking everything you do, I hope you get to enjoy every little victory, it's the only way to keep the necessary motivation to get to your goal. Good luck!

Thanks for asking. I didn't manage to totally achieve any of the goals I set out to this round.

Goal #1- I think I officially ate before going to work exactly once, but I was more aware of eating meals instead of 'grazing'. So now I am not just eating all day.

Goal #2- I didn't quite Invert every other day. Almost though, and I have managed 3 minutes at a time. As I loose weight it's easier to hang longer. (lost 13 lbs since 6 April)

Goal #3- I finally got a clue what to do with this one about two weeks ago. I set up rounds of Egoscue's pain free exercises in an app called Gym Book. I still didn't manage to do them on the schedule I set out but sort of got a fix on what I need to do (for now).

I also got a Fitbug and have been able to walk 7000 + steps but when I do that much I spend a day recovering.

Also I noticed that when I start to feel better I tend to try to move too fast, or try to exceed the goal - and trip etc - then spend a day or two recovering.

A big problem with goal #3 was having so many trouble spots. Egoscue breaks down the body so that you do a certain set of exercises for ankle pain and another different set for neck pain, knee pain, hip pain, and so on. I have tried to hook all the exercises for the various body parts together and do them all every day. That didn't work - especially since it takes so long to do it that I look at what I set out to do before I start - and just give up.

But I read a fitness article on the Academy that mentioned working different body parts different days (so upper one day and lower the next.)

After that I added all of the Egoscue exercises to the Gym Book app, and then made a training cycle that rotates through the body parts. So feet exercises are on day one. Day 2 is neck, day 3 ankles, day 4 shoulders and so on.

That actually works! (the problem now being that I need to establish a habit of doing them routinely.)

Also - I might have a day where the pain is a lot less - and then slack off - but I need to do them every day until the pain is gone for at least two weeks (and then start integrating the bodyweight workout exercises - slowly by slowly!)

At least I didn't set a goal of trying to sleep earlier - it was in the mix of possibilities - but I knew it wasn't going to happen - with Letterman running til the 20th...

I also got an app (iPro habit track) that really helped track the habits.

I might not have really passed this challenge - but got a few big lessons about trying to bite off way more than I can chew, and how it tends to thwart advancement toward my goals.

• Like 1

My NF introduction post

website

Ah - I also did rearrange the kitchen and fridge. I came up with a plan that portions out food I need to take to work in order to eat paleo. I haven't had blood sugar spikes in a month.

I also devoted half of my apartment to the equipment (inversion table etc) I need accessible to carry out the exercise /massage plan.

I was having to eat the turmeric every day before the challenge - now I think I only had to a few times per week and the inflammation is a lot less.

And most days I am walking without a limp for the better part of the day - even when I go over 5000 steps. :D

• Like 2

My NF introduction post

website

I'm happy to see that even if you haven't exactly achieved your goals, you've worked hard on doing so and learned a lot about yourself, what you have to do to make things better, and equipped/organised yourself/house to help you achieve those goals. I think it's still a great success! I hope to see you around for the next challenge.

Also, another girl was asking if there were any people posting on NF with fibro, and I went ahead and told her about you. I linked your thread to hers, which you can find here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/65557-disabled-rebles/

Hope you had a good weekend!

• Like 1

I have/had (?) fibro.  It stunk and the doctor just wanted to drug me.  Changing my diet and moving helped immensely.  Also getting RA under control and getting off those drugs (I know I am fortunate despite a doctor describing it as moderate to severe and evening having the inflammation in my muscles) after 2 years was also immensely helpful.  I have a whole slew of autoimmune things that challenge me but no one really cares about that list.  Getting 5000-7000 steps is a great start!  

Ah tumeric for inflam is great.  I also make a tea using ginger (powder or fresh) and adding lemon because I love lemon that is my go to when I wake up and feel the inflam.  

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile