Weightlifting belts

Hi forumites.

Long time, no visit :( Life stuff got in the way.

Anywho.....

I've now regained my lifting mojo and am back on the weights. I have my own gear, ans train in my workshop, so any info I need has to be gleemed from you folks.

At what point would you start using a belt for dl? I'm back upto 100kg (220lbs).

Many thanks

Karl

Now probably, if it's challenging. A belt is only going to help your midsection get stronger. If you've got a small enough belt that allows you to get your back into extension(hard for some shorter torso'd people on DLs) I'd use it right away. That whole, belt keeps your core from getting strong is nonsense. If anything it helps it get stronger by giving your valsalva maneuver something to brace against. 

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun." - Mark Rippetoe

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB

People have gotten strong with a belt and strong without a belt. It's personal preference really, if you feel like you can't get tight enough and that you need the extra support to keep your lifts progressing, then go for it, but don't get a belt just for the sake of having one.

• Like 1

"No-one tells a T-Rex when to go to sleep".

- Jim Wendler

When to buy a belt is a pretty arbitrary discussion. If you think you want one then get one. If you do decide that it's time then I can't suggest loudly enough to get a quality belt from the beginning. Inzer, EliteFTS P2, and Best belts all carry a lifetime warranty and would likely be in good enough shape to pass along to your grandkids when you're in the dirt. Just one rung down from those three in quality is a very big quality difference without much cost savings.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

When to buy a belt is a pretty arbitrary discussion. If you think you want one then get one. If you do decide that it's time then I can't suggest loudly enough to get a quality belt from the beginning. Inzer, EliteFTS P2, and Best belts all carry a lifetime warranty and would likely be in good enough shape to pass along to your grandkids when you're in the dirt. Just one rung down from those three in quality is a very big quality difference without much cost savings.

perfect, this answers my very next question.

Not sure what options there are in the UK. But Best Belts is on back order right now. I haven't even heard production has started on mine and it's been six weeks. They acknowledged the order, but I'm still waiting. 

A bunch of guys on the SS forums have gotten a few belts from www.generalleathercraft.com and seem to have been pleased. They have a rep that's active over there and has made some personally for them. I'm thinking about getting their 3" deadlift belt that is just treated leather with no suede. 

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB

Not sure what options there are in the UK. But Best Belts is on back order right now. I haven't even heard production has started on mine and it's been six weeks. They acknowledged the order, but I'm still waiting. 

A bunch of guys on the SS forums have gotten a few belts from www.generalleathercraft.com and seem to have been pleased. They have a rep that's active over there and has made some personally for them. I'm thinking about getting their 3" deadlift belt that is just treated leather with no suede. 

General Leathercraft makes the EliteFTS P2 but last I looked EFS sold it a bit cheaper.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

I'm not sure what this has to do with a belt. Ctrl+F didn't return even one instance of the word belt. 

• Like 1

Get a belt if you want one but there's no set weight to put one on. I've seen guys pulling 260kg+ beltless. 

As for places to get belts in the UK, avoid Strength Shop unless you want to replace it in a year or two. InzerNet.de is really quick for delivery usually, apparently. Pullum are the best source for Titan belts.

If you want something effing special, hit up Wahlander for an Eleiko belt without the label. I'm lusting after their gold leather belt for Wonder Woman lifting. :D

Thanks for all the replies.

Super Sundae - lots of nice expensive belts on those sites..... :)

So final question - single prong, twin prong or lever? What are the differences?

Cheers

Karl

Powerlifting belts are mainly important if you're powerlifting and IPF is the best-represented federation in the UK. If you compete with IPF (GBPF) then you need an approved belt. Those belts also tend to have a good lifespan.

If you have no intention of ever competing, check out the belts from SS Health foods.

Single prong or lever are preferable. Twin prong gives limited benefits with maximal faff.

Lever belts can be fastened tighter but have to be adjusted with a screwdriver if you wear your belt differently for squat and deadlift.

Prong are easier to adjust but harder to do up tightly.

Single prong or lever are preferable. Twin prong gives limited benefits with maximal faff.

?

I think it's just preference. I feel more stable in my double prong vs the single prongs I've tried.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I love my P2 lever. From loose to locked up in 3 seconds. I've never been particular enough to care about different tightnesses between different lifts or clothing layers though.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"