• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

thist514

Greater Detroit Area?

Hey everyone! 

I'm just checking in to see if there are any rebels in the greater Detroit area.  I'm new to NF and am looking for a support group.  Hit me up if you're in the area and are looking to connect.

Thanks!

Greetings NF friends!

This is my first post.  I discovered NF a little over a week ago and have been nerding out to it since.  Seriously, I have probably read over 50 of steve's articles ("multi-tasking" at work).  B/C knowledge is power. 

I live & work in the Farmington Hills area of Detroit.  I have gotten 2 of my close friends interested in NF too, one from the NE side of detroit (hopefully moving to Ferndale soon) and another in Grand Rapids.

• Like 1

So I didn't realize I had to follow my own posts... Sorry for not getting back soon :)

I definately want to do some local stuff with some people.  In particular I would like to schedule an event to go to the ropes corse in Birmingham.  Not sure if you guys are interested in getting together, but I need friends who like to do physical things.

Let me know what you guys think!!

Also Ann Arbor, but mobile.  Member MTGA (Michigan Trails & Greenways Alliance), AABTS (Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society).  I used to train at THRIVE on Jackson Rd. in A2.  --Tombo

That's awesome!!  I'm just now starting to get into more outdoor activities.  I've participated in the Slow Roll Detroit which was fun.  I think I'd perfer more of a trail environment but it was cool to go on a bike ride with 3000+ people. 

I generally do "trails only" -- it's just safer.  MTGA has a great resource:

http://www.michigantrails.org/sites/default/files/public/PDFs/LowerP%202015%20Trail%20Dir-25%20x19-2.pdf

... and it also publishes a glossy Michigan Trails *magaizine* every year, which is a picture-fest of maps and contact information.  Check your local bike shop!

I've ridden the St. Clair Co. "Bridge to Bay" route a couple of times, occasionally on the bike ride there called "Blue Water Ramble."  Closer to home we have the Border-to-Border Trail (washtenaw County) and, staging from South Lyon, a series of trails that run to Kensington Metro Park.

The biggest "invitational" I've ridden has been the AABTS' very own "One Helluva Ride," which is the second Saturday of July every year.  We top out at about 2000 riders for that ...

Maybe see you on the roads!  :)  --Tombo

• Like 2

That's awesome! I grew up in that area and am super familiar! I wanted to start biking Stoney this year. The 6 miles is a little intimidating though, not gonna lie :)

• Like 2

The trail around the lake isnt hard at all. Dont be intimidated :). Plus you can always just do part of it. Its a great place to be outside. You can do it ;)

• Like 1

Thanks!  We just got the BF his bike and a bike rack.  We biked from the Harbors (on hall and heidenreich) to the Meijer on Grosbeck and Cass.  It was intense but awesome! 

I have thrown the disc golf course at stoney before and paddled around the lake.  It is a ways from my place, but a beautiful park! 

• Like 2

I feel like we should have a South Eastern Michigan Nerd Fitness Bike Ride!  Or maybe try and do a Slow Role meet up or something.  It seems we all like biking :)

• Like 1

Since 8/23 is this weekend and there hasn't been any response I'm going to go with a "this won't be happening". I'm still open to doing a group bike ride. If anyone else wants to try and set up a day/time I'd be game.

Thanks!