wykcira1 is late to the party

wykcira1

So I definitely missed out on the start of the challenge. Don't think that means I've been slacking off.

I am now in the home stretch of training for the Pittsburgh Half Marathon. Just a week and change as of right now.

I went to the local running store's weekly track workout. It was definitely intimidating going but my new running buddy (from the other store runs) was there and that made a world of difference. Funny how one familiar face and name can make all the difference.

I also took the kiddo for her first 5K on the 18th. It was on City Island in Harrisburg. It was far too hot. We made great time despite my having to pit stop and her getting moody in the last mile. I did have an unfortunate accident earlier that day, I mildly twisted my ankle. But we still ran the 5K. I took the next day off and now I'm back at full strength.

Work had been super busy so that means less time to post. But it means bigger pay check. Ebbs and flows.

A nephew has started a running series. He is in Kindergarten and the series is 1/4 mile. He came in first on the first race. It is Sunday night near Victory Brewery. So not only are we going to see him race but we'll have great food and beer too. what else can you ask of a Sunday?

that is about it for now.

• Like 1

Human Ranger Level 4
STR:  2
DEX: 3
STA: 10
CON: 6
WIS: 3
CHA: 2

"I love things that seem impossible"
  The Cat Empire

Hey, good to see you here!

Follow this topic when you get a chance.

So close! Are you getting excited!? I can't remember is this your first half?

Glad your ankle survived. And the little one only got grumpy at the last mile? That's awesome!

Happy training!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

Hey, good to see you here!

Follow this topic when you get a chance.

So close! Are you getting excited!? I can't remember is this your first half?

Glad your ankle survived. And the little one only got grumpy at the last mile? That's awesome!

Happy training!

Ankle feels great. =D

This is my first half Marathon. It is this weekend.  I had my last long run of my taper yesterday. Since Pittsburgh is known for hills I ran the hilliest course I could come up with around my neighborhood. We have a large number of hills or it was pretty easy to find as many hills as possible. I ran my favorite, closest hill. It is about .25 down and then of course .25 back up. I climbed almost 500 feet in total over 7 miles. The elevation on my garmin has almost NO level area. I was gaining or losing the whole time.

I did NOT hit my race pace BUT I had less sleep than usual (long night but no drinking) and the amount of hills was more than slightly excessive (maybe only 300~ feet elevation game for the half). But I did hit some good pacing through the middle. Traffic and safety seemed to get in the way the most. But I also made the decision to run the whole thing on the streets since it is a city half. I had been doing a lot of training on gravel trail. And I was at the tail end of being sick. So now that I have all of my excuses out of the way on the training run there is no reason I'm not going to kill it on Sunday.

But there is not longer time to train harder. It is all smooth sailing from here. I made it without (running related) injuries, I still had family time.

And as a side note as I stepped on the scale this morning I was down a total of 75LBS since Jan of 2013.

See you at the finish.

• Like 1

Human Ranger Level 4

The Cat Empire

So i'm just really bad at updates this challenge. Work has been super crazy (in a good way). But I do have a report on my Half. 2:06:36. With all the hills in Pittsburgh. I ran a GREAT race. My buddy fell off my pace around 5 miles but was only a couple minutes slower than me in the end. Such a great experience. I'm excited for the next one. I've been taking the week off. I did some light cross training yesterday but I've been a lump otherwise. I'll probably get a few miles in tomorrow.

• Like 1

Human Ranger Level 4

The Cat Empire

So just one last post before the end of the challenge. Please do not mistake my absence on this as a lack of commitment to improvement. I've been looking for my next half to complete my goal of running a half in under 2:00:00 before the end of the calendar year. It has been super busy at work but I've been keeping up going to the gym. I've cut down on the treadmill miles and increase the cross training. I might take up sessions with a trainer again to get the most out of my visits and stay motivated. One of them turned me on this site to being with, one of the is a holistic life coach, and one of the biggest segments of their membership is people coming in for sport specific training (golf swing, horseback riding, running). So it is basically their specialty. I did set a new PR for 1 mile without trying last week. It was just supposed to be a warm up mile and I was running by feel, when I was done Garmin told me I just set a PR for a mile. So maybe I'm holding myself back right now. I need to find a way to get out of my own head when running. I felt like I had been listening to my body but I think I've still been a little too focused on the wrong things. I'm not sure how to clear the hurdle but I'm confident that a breakthrough is on the horizon.

Human Ranger Level 4

The Cat Empire

This all sounds great. I have no doubt you're hooked on your running right now. Finding new ways of approaching the mental side of running can be tricky so just remember, experiment. You'll never know if you don't try, even if they seem a little out there. I have confidence in you.

Have you found a half yet or are you still looking?

Enjoy the rest of the week and see you at the next challenge!

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!