Observations on Going to the Gym

Having just joined the local Gold's Gym and started Stronglifts, I've noticed a couple things about gym attendance.

There's one guy there who either lives there or is following me.  He was there a few weeks ago when I visited the gym to look around on a Saturday afternoon, he was there Saturday morning at about 9:00 am, and Monday at 5:00 am.  He wasn't there this morning though.

I forgot to get some shower shoes, I need to rectify that ASAP.

Apparently some guys wear shorts to shower, even though the showers all have doors (not a communal shower).

Women "accidentally" walk into the men's locker room far less often than indicated by Letters to Playboy.

Some people's parents apparently never made them pick up their toys.  Dude, it's bad form to leave 45 pound plates on the bar when you're done with it, while I can handle them the next person may not be able to.

While every station OUGHT to have a set of 2.5 lb plates, NO station needs more than a pair of them.  In fact the only plates you DO need more than one pair of are 45s.

It would be nice if you racked the plates with the smooth side IN, so those of us who are beginners can identify the weights from the outside.  Also, why the (expletive deleted) did you put the spring collar on the rack pin, then cover it with three 45 pound plates?  Do you LIKE having people say unkind things about your relationship with your mother?

There's no need to feel guilty about pressing in the squat rack if the other squat rack and the power rack are both empty.

In fact I hope free weights don't catch on, because I've yet to have to wait for a rack.

The one thing I wish the gym had was more open floor space for things like rows and deadlifts.  Maybe if we got those silly Smith Machines out.....

• Like 1

I've never really been a gymgoer before, but I'm thinking about starting StrongLifts in the fall. What's Gold's Gym like, as far as equipment needed for SL goes? There's one in my area, and it seems to be the best price next to Planet Fitness, which I have heard is useless for SL. (And just a shadey company in general.)

The one near me (Paramus, NJ) isn't too bad, one power rack, two squat racks, a few benches, barbells on all of them, and plenty of plates.  As for clientele it's been pretty empty when I've been there, a few suburban housewives doing treadmills, and people on the machines.  Only a handful of people doing free weights.  They're very proud of their "Cardio Cinema", a movie theater where they have treadmills, ellipticals,bikes instead of seats, and they play movies while you do cardio.  Locker room is kind of old, but clean and things work. I'd recommend visiting the one by you though, I've heard they can vary by location.  The price was right ($30 a month, and another $20 if my wife decides to join), they had a web-only special for a $1 enrollment fee and $39 a year.  It's also close enough that I can get there when they open, work out, shower, and still get to work on time.  I didn't take the membership with classes, since I mostly won't be around at the times they have them and not too many interested me anyway.

While every station OUGHT to have a set of 2.5 lb plates, NO station needs more than a pair of them.  In fact the only plates you DO need more than one pair of are 45s.

It would be nice if you racked the plates with the smooth side IN, so those of us who are beginners can identify the weights from the outside.  Also, why the (expletive deleted) did you put the spring collar on the rack pin, then cover it with three 45 pound plates?  Do you LIKE having people say unkind things about your relationship with your mother?

I agree with everything but these. You need either an extra set of 10's or an extra set of 5's to bridge the 15 lb gap between adding 10 and adding 25 lb to a side. How else to add 20 lbs to a side?

Smooth side gets racked IN often because when picking up the plate, many do so with their fingertips gripping around the raised edge. When they bring it to their chest this way, the smooth side is facing them and that's how they slide it on.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I agree with everything but these. You need either an extra set of 10's or an extra set of 5's to bridge the 15 lb gap between adding 10 and adding 25 lb to a side. How else to add 20 lbs to a side?

Smooth side gets racked IN often because when picking up the plate, many do so with their fingertips gripping around the raised edge. When they bring it to their chest this way, the smooth side is facing them and that's how they slide it on.

Point taken about the plates you need pairs of.

I'd accept your explanation if smooth side in vs out if I didn't find 2.5 lb plates facing in.

And of course the collars under the plates just shouldn't ought a be done. Put them on the FLOOR until you're done racking.

I'd accept your explanation if smooth side in vs out if I didn't find 2.5 lb plates facing in.

I take it then your 2.5s don't have raised edges?  Cuz where I'm at they totally do.  And I still grip them at the edge.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

This morning I considered the wisdom of buying my own clamps and bringing them with me.  I had to hunt for clamps this morning, then when I found one it must've been bent so it didn't fit smoothly on the bar.  Searching for the 2.5 lb plates is bad enough (and finding SIX of them on one plate tree of course).

I've never really been a gymgoer before, but I'm thinking about starting StrongLifts in the fall. What's Gold's Gym like, as far as equipment needed for SL goes? There's one in my area, and it seems to be the best price next to Planet Fitness, which I have heard is useless for SL. (And just a shadey company in general.)

I go to a Gold's Gym, although it is not the greatest, it is WAY MORE suited to strong lifts than Planet Fitness. Almost all GG's I have been to sport at least a handful of squat racks, some have olympic platforms as well. Most have a selection of bumper plates in addition to traditional plates. There will definitely be plenty of benches.

I think that the OHP in a rack is fine, especially if the other ones are not being used. There are definitely worse things to do in the rack.

People do need to properly rack their weights after. And put the clips somewhere accessible. Very valid points.

Maybe I'm showing my ignorance - but I almost always do OHP in the squat rack. Is there another way to start with the bar at chest level without cleaning it at the beginning of every set?

• Like 1

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Wayne Gretzky." - Michael Scott.

I go to a Gold's Gym, although it is not the greatest, it is WAY MORE suited to strong lifts than Planet Fitness. Almost all GG's I have been to sport at least a handful of squat racks, some have olympic platforms as well. Most have a selection of bumper plates in addition to traditional plates. There will definitely be plenty of benches.

Maybe I'm showing my ignorance - but I almost always do OHP in the squat rack. Is there another way to start with the bar at chest level without cleaning it at the beginning of every set?

Not ignorant at all, the squat rack is the most convenient place to OHP.  Just that the squat rack is CALLED a squat rack for a reason, and (back) squats can only be safely done in a squat rack or power rack.  For OHP you have the option of cleaning the bar, not really an option for squatting.

I guess you COULD squat with bumper plates, so you can dump them if you get in trouble.  There's still the issue of getting the bar on your back though.

It is very interesting watching someone get a bar on their back from the floor. I have seen it only online. They lift up one side until it's [near] vertical, then basically position their shoulders to the bar and lower it back to horizontal.

I searched and found they have a name - Steinborn squats.

It is very interesting watching someone get a bar on their back from the floor. I have seen it only online. They lift up one side until it's [near] vertical, then basically position their shoulders to the bar and lower it back to horizontal.

I searched and found they have a name - Steinborn squats.

It's how the old time strongmen did it for shows. It's hell on the lower back. I've tried it and it's a damn impressive skill with higher weights.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I go to platnet fitness and I see similar things, people leave the weights all over the place and when they do place them back, they are not in order so you get one and then have to go look for the pair. Similar with the other free weights area where the row and cables are. There are only two bench for press and all that, I'm not familiar with the name so normally I have to make a line to use it which is why I use mostly machines.