Form check - BS - now with shoes

Hi guys - I'm back! I've been testing out my new kicks, and working weight back up after taking a little vacation. This is my second or third time squatting in the shoes and I like them - but thought I'd seek out some input on form again now that I'm using them. I ended up continuing up in weight to 175# before I failed the SL progression, only completing 24 of 25 required reps. Now deloading to 150# - but weight in this vid was 170#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3BgrXx8Lww

For funsies, the first form check video I posted without lifting shoes, 165#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXuE3WErCCw&feature=youtu.be

75%
75%

Current DL: 225 lb Goal DL: 300 lb

78%
78%

Current BS: 175 lb Goal DL: 225 lb

Let me start by saying that your form looks good. I wouldn't stop in the gym and think, "Oh there's a problem." You're at a good weight and with mostly good form. That said, here are a couple things to consider:

- In the second video, your placement looks like high bar but your back angle looks more like what I would expect from a low bar squatter. This all depends on your segment lengths, of course, but I would expect a more upright back angle would help keep the bar on the right path if you really are trying to do a high bar squat.

- This back angle/bar position relationship may be why the bar seems to slip forward of mid foot sometimes. Whatever the reason, I would work on the bar path not drifting forward, whether it could be fixed with a back angle adjustment or just not letting your chest fall downward as you start to raise the hips. I'd think about something along those lines.

- Finally, I think you should watch your first vid and think about the differences between the first couple of reps and rep 3. In rep 3, your hips fire out of the hole much more quickly and in the first two, it's almost like you're pausing. It's really important to maintain tightness in your hamstrings, etc. all the way down to just the right bottom position and then spring back up using that tightness in your favor. If you relax to get to depth, that makes your rep so much harder and slower. (ETA: and 4th and 5th reps you can see hips shooting back instead of up)

Overall, looking good. Bar path and tightness are things that plague almost everyone from time to time.

The iron never lies.

Thanks so much Mgage - that was actually exactly what I was looking for, is help in figuring out what is the same and what is different. And quite a bit of what you pointed out is new and/or phrased in a new way that makes a bit more sense to me. You are correct that this is [my version of :P] a high bar squat - I've never been taught to low bar squat and haven't really pursued it. I hear mixed opinions about when you should consider a low-bar squat, but have heard it is better for some body conformations. 

I have been noticing that my reps get "slow" as you noted for some of the first video. I haven't been able to figure out how to fix this, as I don't feel like I am at all relaxing my hamstrings to get to depth. On the higher weights, I think I at least partially slow the rep to make sure I hit a below-parallel point but don't bottom out my squat / go ATG -- I try not to do this latter point because its nearly impossible for me to get more than 1-2 reps at this depth when I'm moving up to my "heavy" weights.

75%
75%

Current DL: 225 lb Goal DL: 300 lb

78%
78%

Current BS: 175 lb Goal DL: 225 lb

Form breaking down on reps when you're pushing best effort is somewhat to be expected.

Have you tried front squats? I find them to be a good assistance to the high bar. Hips shooting up typically means your quads are lacking compared to your butt and hams, and front squats are all about the butt and quads. You also get immediate feedback/punished when your torso is tilting way too much.

If you're not too keen on messing with the Stronglifts template and adding in something else, you can always just be *really strict* with your form and consider any deviations to be a failed rep. Stay as upright as possible, don't sit back, and think of your quads. Play around with your stance width.

Oh, and try working on ankle flexibility. The more you can put your knees out there, the more upright you can get and the less good morningy your high bar squat will look like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No body, no mind.

My Battle Log: A Weightlifting Story

Just to kind of parrot what everyone else said. Looks like the bar is drifting pretty far forward of mid foot and you're struggling to stay as vertical as you need to with a highbar squat. With that said, try letting the knees slide forward a bit more and keeping your torso just a hair more vertical. Your depth looked better I thought in the newest one vs the first video. 

Keep at it and good luck!

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun." - Mark Rippetoe

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB

Yeah, solid work. In an attempt to stay more upright think about pushing your knees out and sitting straight down onto your heels for the descent. Remember we squat between our legs, not on top of them. This will feel weird for a minute and probably won't be manageable at your heavy weights right off the bat but it will pay off down the road. Also note that your hips will still go back a little, which is fine, but within the intent to remain as upright and "tall" as possible you'll end up with a better squat.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Yeah, solid work. In an attempt to stay more upright think about pushing your knees out and sitting straight down onto your heels for the descent. Remember we squat between our legs, not on top of them. This will feel weird for a minute and probably won't be manageable at your heavy weights right off the bat but it will pay off down the road. Also note that your hips will still go back a little, which is fine, but within the intent to remain as upright and "tall" as possible you'll end up with a better squat.

The biggest thing is that it will involve your adductors more. Definitely drop the weight to practice it. I didn't when it finally clicked, and ended up pulling both of them.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf