A Nerd Abroad: Trip to India

Hello fellow nerds!

I'm going to India this summer for about 3 weeks. The first week I have free for my own travel, the second 2 weeks I will be chaperoning a group of college students as they learn about global poverty and social innovation in Mumbai. I really want to go to Delhi and see the Golden Triangle sites - particularly the Taj Mahal, the Gandhi historical sites, and the Red Fort.

Do any of y'all have advice/insight on: 

1) travel arrangements for a single woman (I'm planning to book into a travel group so if you have suggestions that would be rad)

2) sites NOT to miss that wouldn't be on the beaten path

3) footwear/clothing for monsoon season (I lived in Cambodia for a summer, so I know somewhat but India's monsoons are a bit more torrential than Camodia's - also, I could reasonably live in my chacos for the whole trip or do I need close-toed shoes?)

4) Food advice? Being a total gringo, anything you'd recommend or avoid?

I figure the collective wisdom of nerd-kind is as good a place to start as any travel book.

Thanks!!

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 10 | CON 7.5 | WIS 13 | CHA 12

Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
Battle Log

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

Hi Brekketechie,

Not sure if you still need this advice but I'll put it out there for anyone who may want to go in the future. I am originally from India, Delhi actually, so I'm just going to state my life experiences there as my source. 

To answer your questions:

There is something very integral to India that you need to understand. In India they're exists 2 worlds, the first comprises of people who have grown up watching cartoon network and nickeloden (I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong), eating at McDonald's and basically living a life very similar to yours and then there is the other India, the one that is not so economically privileged and lives in an entirely different atmosphere. Both these worlds are merged and interlaced and distinguishing them is where tourists get hassled. They are used to seeing the things that they grew up with and hence ignore those things and focus on the novelty that they see, the economically depressed India. To a native Indian it normally pains them to see their country highlighted for the wrong reasons and I urge you to not look at India as the prototypical poor country and we it in its entirety. We have a history and culture that is millennia of years old. I'm sure your perception of how old a structure is to be considered ancient will definitely change when you are there. For examples sake, the Taj Mahal built by the Mughals in 1653 is considered a relatively modern monument despite being over 350 years old. India is home to the oldest existing religion, Hinduism, who some considere dates back to 4000-5000BC. And has been the birth place of many religions, like Buddhism, Sikhism and Jainism. We have had a multitude of dynasties rule what is modern day India however, each corner has its own history. Hence, I'm truly thrilled to welcome you to our country and culture.  

To answer your questions:

1. I would strongly urge you to stay at a hotel that is part of a chain, depending on your budget it can range from The Taj, Hilton, J.W Marriott (high) to Best Western (budget). I would strongly advice staying in stand alone hotels just because they aren't held to the basic standards that should be implemented for those catering in the hospitality services.

2. Sites not to miss- this is an extremely difficult question and depends a lot on where you are in the country. Near Mumbai- Ajanta and Ellora Caves are wonderful. In Delhi, the lotus temple, the akshardham temple, jama masjid and the old delhi market (right next to the red fort). Jaipur - Hawa mahal, amer fort. If you let me know where about you would want to visit I could let you know more places.

3. Your  chacos would be ideal, in terms of footwear. As for clothing, India ,as a society, is more conservative and the people you meet would appreciate if you went the extra mile by being respectful societal norms. For women, a cotton/khadi pant or a knee length skirt and a t-shirt would be ideal as it can get pretty hot and humid and you need something that is airy. For the men, the same cotton pant or below knee shorts and a t-shirt would do just great. Don't forget a strong sturdy umbrella (take it with you, even if they say its not going to rain, it'll protect you from the sun : Pro tip)

4. First and foremost, we Indian's love our spices. Honestly, a 10 on the spicy scale here is about how almost everything is served in India so make sure to mention "less/no spicy" whenever you order. Second of all, the street food is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G but if you have a weak stomach, don't go anywhere near them. If you are in Delhi, do try the Chat and mughali food. When in mumbai do try their bhel puri and gol gappa's.

Hope this helps.

I'd be happy to furnish you with anymore information that you may need.

Atithi Devo Bhava