Iceburner burning... fat, actually... wouldn't make sense to burn ice here

Hi,
I'm Iceburner, well actually Thomas, 37, living in Sweden. I just look for a way to get in shape again after I had a very lazy phase last year... ok, I had a lazy year, and a job that includes sitting in front of a computer... actually I could also stand, since the height of the desk is adjustable... as I said it was a lazy year.

For years my weight increased slowly but steady towards the magic 100kg mark (Not so magic 220 lbs). The last 2 years or so I kept it a stable 98-99 kg. Last year my doctor told me to lose 10kg. Start of this year I crossed the 100kg line. So the time for a change had come.

So while browsing and looking for ways to start over again I found the 5:2 diet and in my search for more information got from there to Steve's blogpost on intermittent fasting. I remembered reading something about Nerd Fitness a year ago (or so), but at that time I was trying a different approach already. Anyway, I read up on Nerd Fitness and decided I want to do that

So I joined NerdFitness Academy directly about 4 weeks ago and so far I have a blast! I read tons of articles on diet/training/health/otherStuff and now watch my diet, log all my food and have scheduled and started my workouts. I already feel that I have more energy during the day and I started my first 6-weeks challenge.

So far so good, I'm already down in weight, but more importantly in waist size. I want to continue and try out many different kind of exercises to find the one that suits me best (probably it has to be versatile).

Nice to meet you all!

• Like 1

Iceburner

Lvl. 7 Human, (Lvl. 5 Assassin, Lvl. 2 Rebel)

STR: 13.25 ~ DEX: 6.5 ~STA: 14.25 ~ CON: 9 ~ WIS: 15 ~ CHA: 10

Current Quest: #9 - Finding the balance in mind and body

Battle Log

Finished Quest (challenge): #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7, #8

Aborted Quest (challenge): #6

"Kaizen!!!" 

weight loss goal (92kg -> 87kg): |----------------------->| (currently 86.3)

waist loss goal (109cm -> 94cm): |--------->____________| (currently 103)

pull-ups (0 -> 10): |->____________________| (currently 0)

push-ups (0 -> 50): |------>_______________| (currently 12)

Hi,

it's me again! Haven't been here for a while (about 2 years).

A few years back I joined the NerdFitness Academey in order to help myself to loose 10 kg (22 lb), get fitter, get healthier.

I started to build new healthy food habits which already by themselves helped had a positive effect on the numbers of my scale. They were dropping.

Additionally I started to follow the NF workouts which slowed the weight loss and partly even reverted the effect, since I was building muscles.

In the end I got from 100kg (220lb) down to 89kg (196lb), had a lot of energy and felt great. Mission completed.

Now a few years have passed and I more or less kept my healthy habits. I eat a lot of veggies and just now and then the occasional pizza or pasta. I stopped my food logging though since I found it kind of not worth the effort anymore. But it was no problem since I know what's good for me and what's not. And over the last years my weight just shifted up by 3kg (6-7lb), which is acceptable.

Lately though unhealthy habits (especially candies) crept up from behind. Additionally my training has come to a complete stop over the last 3 months.

So it iwastime!

Time to start once more all over and this time even more ambitious.

So I went over to the NF Academy and started all over. I read through the mindset module again and started to check the first quests, cleaned up my character sheet and created new epic quests. One of them is a pretty ambitious 90-day workout program and I am psyched.

Probably it will take a lot of willpower (probably more than I have) but I planned for a lot of good loot that I want and the last lootable item will be a thing that even my wife wants. So she is basically my backup willpower. And of course: This awesome forum with many, many accountabilibuddies that can help me.

Enough words, let's start!

• Like 2

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Thanks for the inspiration and the reminder that like everything else in life being healthy is an ongoing cyclical kind of thing that we always have to put our attention to if we want it be the way we would like.  And good for you to recognize things were shifting back to a place you didn't want and actually doing something about it.  Remember, you've already succeeded at this before, so of course, you can succeed again : )

• Like 1

Thanks @sylph, @TruebornJester and @Vron

So far I kept my commitments. Overstrained my back on Saturday thanks to our leaking washing machine, so I took my resting day on Sunday and got back into the game on Monday.

Can't wait for the next 4w challenge to begin :)

• Like 1

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Good for you for knowing when to give your body a rest and for not letting that be an excuse for giving up.  It made me think of the story I read on NF about the guy who couldn't do exercise for 6 months.  But he kept walking at least and also ate well and still succeeded.  Like they say, you can't outrun your fork!

I posted this in TrubornJester's thread but thought I'd add it here too:

If you like Indian food at all, I just tried a recipe for Butter Chicken (the surprise is there is no butter) yesterday and it turned out amazing.  The only things I changed was I only used 1/2 tbsp of chili powder and didn't add the cream.  I also used 1 tsp of garam masala instead of 2 tsp.  It says the garam masala is optional, but in my opinion it makes the dish so I wouldn't skip it if you decide to try the recipe.  Also I didn't feel like waiting for brown rice to cook so I put mine over some whole wheat linguine.  You could use cauliflower "rice" if you do Paleo.  It made enough for me to freeze two portions and have dinner for 3-4 nights.

Ha, now that I've posted this info on two people's threads it occurs to me I should just start my own thread of recipes that turn out good!  Off I go...

@Vron Thanks for the recipe, I loooove indian food!

@TruebornJesterIn the top right of this page select your username -> account settings -> signature and add the following without the ''' : '['spoiler']' some text '['/spoiler']'

• Like 1

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

On 1/23/2018 at 2:24 AM, Iceburner said:

Hi,

it's me again! Haven't been here for a while (about 2 years).

A few years back I joined the NerdFitness Academey in order to help myself to loose 10 kg (22 lb), get fitter, get healthier.

I started to build new healthy food habits which already by themselves helped had a positive effect on the numbers of my scale. They were dropping.

Additionally I started to follow the NF workouts which slowed the weight loss and partly even reverted the effect, since I was building muscles.

In the end I got from 100kg (220lb) down to 89kg (196lb), had a lot of energy and felt great. Mission completed.

Now a few years have passed and I more or less kept my healthy habits. I eat a lot of veggies and just now and then the occasional pizza or pasta. I stopped my food logging though since I found it kind of not worth the effort anymore. But it was no problem since I know what's good for me and what's not. And over the last years my weight just shifted up by 3kg (6-7lb), which is acceptable.

Lately though unhealthy habits (especially candies) crept up from behind. Additionally my training has come to a complete stop over the last 3 months.

So it iwastime!

Time to start once more all over and this time even more ambitious.

So I went over to the NF Academy and started all over. I read through the mindset module again and started to check the first quests, cleaned up my character sheet and created new epic quests. One of them is a pretty ambitious 90-day workout program and I am psyched.

Probably it will take a lot of willpower (probably more than I have) but I planned for a lot of good loot that I want and the last lootable item will be a thing that even my wife wants. So she is basically my backup willpower. And of course: This awesome forum with many, many accountabilibuddies that can help me.

Enough words, let's start!

Wow!  It's great that you got back on the horse.

How things coming along?