Hi NerdFitness, 

I'm new here. This is all a little confusing to me, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I'm 29 years old. I'm turning 30 on May 16th. I started my journey on February 14th, 2015. Shortly after, I found the courage to get rid of an unhealthy relationship in my life and it's been fairly good since then. About 2 weeks ago I started eating paleo with the intention of making it more long term than I have in the past. I've done a Whole30, but I want to fit this into my life in a way that works for me. I don't want to stop at the 30 days, I'd like to keep going this time.

Since 02/14/15, I'm down 19lbs. I have one of those scales that measures body fat %, I don't know how accurate that is so I won't post it here. I'm planning on getting an actual reading at my gym within the new few days. I do know everything is starting to fit loose. The weight doesn't come off as easy as it used to when I was 25, so that's been an adjustment. 

I came here after doing a search for sluggishness and paleo. I've hit a point where my energy level is really low and I want to figure out if that's normal and how I should adjust my diet to fix that. I haven't worked out for the last couple of weeks because the energy isn't there. I want to change that. I want to go over to the weights side of the gym, but I'm a little nervous about that too. 

So, that's where I'm at. Thank you for having me here. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the rebellion!

Good on getting out of an unhealthy relationship. About your lack of energy, are you eating enough calories? It's easy to under eat when doing paleo. Count your calories and, if you find you are too low, up the intake a bit. Nuts are a good way to boost them.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Welcome to the rebellion!

Good on getting out of an unhealthy relationship. About your lack of energy, are you eating enough calories? It's easy to under eat when doing paleo. Count your calories and, if you find you are too low, up the intake a bit. Nuts are a good way to boost them.

Good luck and keep us posted!

A friend of mine brought that up. I think it might be a big part of it. I also might not be drinking enough water so I'm going to pay more attention to that. I know my carb level is significantly lower than it was before. My diet was just full of processed foods. I log on MyFitnessPal and my calories do seem a little low. I'm going to try throwing some more nuts into my diet. I can't seem to eat enough while I'm adjusting to the volume of food, so that might help. I imagine avocados might help too?

Avocados are good!

Here's a little something to help you: http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

Adjust the settings to your situation. You are going to get two numbers: Basal metabolic rate (BMR) and Total energy expenditure (TEE). Avoid going below your BMR, and try not to cut your TEE by more than 1000 calories. More than that and it can get risky.

Good luck!

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

First of all welcome iamnotjess, to the rebellion! We're all here to help you! let us know if you have questions about things or even stuff! 

That being said, Hey Basement Cat, how would one practically apply the knowledge gained from the above mentioned calculators, I was wondering/hoping if you could educate me, or refer me to an article that would. whatdya say?

•      Awful                                                          Not so good                                                                          Getting better                                                        Super Stud                                       He-Man                                  Artie Strongest                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              man.... In The World
  • 61%
    61%
  • Valerius the level 2 Human

STR 3|DEX 3|CON 2|STA 3|WIS 2|CHA 2

Current challenge

•  
  • " If you think you can do a thing or you can't do a thing, you're right."
  • - Henry Ford

First of all welcome iamnotjess, to the rebellion! We're all here to help you! let us know if you have questions about things or even stuff! 

That being said, Hey Basement Cat, how would one practically apply the knowledge gained from the above mentioned calculators, I was wondering/hoping if you could educate me, or refer me to an article that would. whatdya say?

Well, what do you mean by practically apply? You mean design a plan from it?

I use it to determine how many calories I must cut to maintain a 1000 calorie deficit during my weight loss quest.

Here's an explanation: http://50flightsofstrong.tumblr.com/bmr

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Thank you for the input! 

•      Awful                                                          Not so good                                                                          Getting better                                                        Super Stud                                       He-Man                                  Artie Strongest                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              man.... In The World
  • 61%
    61%

Current challenge

•  
  • - Henry Ford

I think I got confused from the hi-tech gadgety thing. I kind of already knew that, I just hadn't heard of it being expressed like that.

• 61%
    61%

Current challenge

•  
  • - Henry Ford