Am I eating enough,too much, too little?!

Maiwen

Heyo!

So I have recently discovered my passion for powerlifting. There is such exhilaration in lifting something heavy that most people would think is impossible for your to do. 

A little background on me:

I went from 200lbs to 159lbs (I usually hover betwen 155-160) and I am 5'6" 26 Y.O.

I find it incredibly difficult to figure out if I am eating the right amount of food. I want to get stronger but I don't want to put on any BF - if anything I want to lose more fat/ get leaner. 

Information online is so contradicting on how much I should eat... I don't know if I am doing it right or not.  

I am currently doing stronglifts 5x5 3x a week and on off days I am usually doing some running/biking/swimming/yoga. I'll usually save one day a week for rest/active rest. My daily intake of food is usually around 1900-2000 calories at the moment.

I am eating lots of veggies and meats, fruits and quinoa/oatmeal. I just want to know what I should be aiming for. I'm getting different numbers from 1600 to 2600 calories?! Some say I should eat more on lifting days and less on days I don't do as much... 

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated! 

Cheers,

Maiwen

MaiwenRace: Human | Class: Warrior

Battlelog | Instagram | Twitter

Some Goals

Deadlift 2x Bodyweight  x 5 reps | Current: 1.43

Squat    1x Bodyweight x 5 reps  | Current: 0.90

"I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

Hey Maiwen,

You can keep getting stronger whilst losing weight/fat (at the beginning at least). Given you're already tracking, what is your weight doing?

Do you track macros as well as calories? What are you hitting on an average day?

Don't worry about what anyone says about how much you should eat in terms of calories, just see what works for you. If your weight is going up when you want it to go down, eat less; if your weight is going down when you want it to go up, eat more.

I'm a similar-ish height and weight (63kg and 166cm/139lb and 5'5.5") and eat around 2600-2700 on average (c. 130-150g protein, 80-100g fat and 300g carbs) but that wouldn't be ideal for everyone. I eat more on lifting days and less on rest days because I use an activity tracker to calculate my calories each day.

Anyway, I hope that's helpful.

Sundae

• Like 1

What Sundae said.  At your size and weight, you're way past the "one size fits all" advice and now you are into.. "What works for me, makes me feel good, allows me to achieve my goals" territory.  

Experiment.  Change something, collect data, analyze, decide if you like the result.

Just don't change a whole bunch of things at once.

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Thanks for the tips guys!

I will be paying close attention to my strength and weight in the next few weeks to ensure I am eating enough. 

Sundae, to answer your questions - yes I am counting my macros also. I am aiming for a 40-40-20 approach and always trying to eat my weight in protein.

Some Goals

I've been lifting weights for quite some time now. However, I was doing more bodybuilding routines and cardio. I am new to the powerlifting world  :redface:.

But now that I am more focused on strength; I'l pay close attention to my body and see if things are working for me.

Some Goals

A woman of 150lb doesn't need 200g+ protein. Studies suggest 1.4-2.2g per kg of bodyweight for strength athletes, so 0.65-1g per lb.

Sure, you can eat more and it won't harm you, but it won't really help recovery or growth. If you're not recovering then there are other issues that protein to concern yourself with.

I'm going to be giving paleo a try starting next week (being a shift worker next week is Friday for me). Slowly giving away the stuff in my pantry and fridge away so there's no temptation. I was eating pretty close to it anyway minus the occasional lunch or dinner out.

Being In the military I can't always control what I eat but when I can I'll definitely be going as paleo as possible.

I'm hoping that cleaning up my diet even more and closely tracking my food will help me get a better understanding of what my body needs.

I'll be opening up my food diary on MFP for accountability so hopefully that'll help too! I'll always be aiming for 1g/pound for protein but I think I need to up my carb intake quite a bit if I want to make some strength gains!

I'll keep y'all updated. Again, thanks for giving me your opinions!

Some Goals