How about Greyskull LP?

I'm new to strength training and was looking into Greyskull LP. Anyone have any experience with Greyskull and care to share?  My interests are building strength with a beginner-friendly program while burning a little fat developing some extra muscle. I'm not interested in becoming huge, but I do like being functionally strong and want to have a trim, hard body someday. I'm probably 20% body fat right now, I can't put numbers to any lifts but I've never been particularly weak.

I'm Ranger-curious. STR-0; DEX-0; STA-0; CON-0; WIS-0; CHA-0

I don't have experience with Greyskull.

I do have some lifting experience with a couple different programs. Stronglifts, Wendler, and Madcow are the programs I've used/am using.

I recently looked at Greyskull, as another forumite posted about it. It looked interesting and I can see the draw. I'll probably try it in the future, after I complete my current program. It seems well thought out, but I won't really know until I try it.

With the goals you mentioned and the experience level you mention, my suggestion would be to start with Stronglifts 5x5, which is a very good beginner program/progression. With it's focus on the primary lifts only, it gives the opportunity to gain a lot of strength and practice form regularly.

Hope that helps.

I don't have experience with Greyskull.

I do have some lifting experience with a couple different programs. Stronglifts, Wendler, and Madcow are the programs I've used/am using.

I recently looked at Greyskull, as another forumite posted about it. It looked interesting and I can see the draw. I'll probably try it in the future, after I complete my current program. It seems well thought out, but I won't really know until I try it.

With the goals you mentioned and the experience level you mention, my suggestion would be to start with Stronglifts 5x5, which is a very good beginner program/progression. With it's focus on the primary lifts only, it gives the opportunity to gain a lot of strength and practice form regularly.

Hope that helps.

I will definitely give Stronglifts a closer look. I do want a basic program that will allow me to master a few essential lifts.  I wish I had a lifting friend where I'm at who could watch me and give feedback. I can't afford a trainer. Thanks for the response.

Been slowly working into it, using just the bar to practice squats and bench presses. I could try and get some video, though I'm at a gym and am unsure how well that would work. Using a broomstick doesn't provide a very good mock-up for me so if I could find a way to weight it down with 45 pounds I could shoot a couple clips at home.

If you can't afford weights, PVC pipe and sand will give you the weight you need.  There are millions of videos online to help you get started.  Good luck.

Remember, anything worth doing is worth overdoing. It's the American way.

LV 1 RANGER
STR 3/DEX 2/STA 2/CON 3/WIS 2/CHA 3

CrossFit LV 1 Coach, CrossFit LV 2 Coach
Certified CrossFit Olympic Lifting, CrossFit Strongman Certified
CrossFit Gymnastics Certified, CrossFit Kids Certified
 American Kettlebell Concepts Certified

Level 1 and Level 2 Ultimate Sandbag Coach

Certified Underground Strength Gym Coach

Mike Boyle Certified Functional Strength Coach

Tactical Strength and Conditioning Survivor/Coach

I'm not interested in becoming huge, but I do like being functionally strong and want to have a trim, hard body someday. 

Becoming huge (from muscles, anyway) isn't something that happens quickly or by accident, so don't worry about it. OTOH strength is fairly strongly correlated with muscle size, so depending on what exactly you mean by functionally strong you may need to build some lean mass to achieve your goals.

This is a pretty simple Greyskull variant, in the same vein as Starting Strength or StrongLifts - 5-rep sets, focused on a few big compound lifts for a full body workout three days a week. Note that while the program recommends Yates rows, the author has come around to preferring Pendlay rows, so if you're googling for form videos look for the latter. Greyskull's big advantage is auto-regulation - the AMRAP sets tell you when to add weight or when to deload, so the program does a better job of handling the stops and starts that many people experience in place of the theoretically ideal straight linear progression assumed by SS and SL.

"Curtain's up. Everyone's waiting for the hero to take the stage. And the spotlight's on you now." - Alfred, to Dick Grayson, Batman and Robin #2

Current Challenge