Ripple: Slow. Steady. Winning.

I crashed and burned in the January challenge and I've been licking my wounds ever since.

I know what my problem is. I have this all or nothing attitude. When I try to change habits I go all in... FIX ALL THE THINGS AT ONCE! 

Time for a new approach. For the rest of the year, I am going to focus on one primary quest at a time in one of three focus areas:  Eat. Move. Sleep. 

In addition to the primary quest, I've added some ongoing quests to support good habits that were established in previous primary quests. 

My only goal for the remainder of the year is to end 2015 in better health. 

2015 Ongoing Quests:  

Move:

From June - December I will hit the gym at least 9 times per month with the goal of reaching 100 workouts by the end of the year. 

Training at my gym is 50 minute circuit style strength + endurance workouts.

June: 5/9

Grand Total: 43

Eat:

I joined a $$ challenge to lose 20% in 2015. Whether or not I hit that target, my goal is to start each month a little better off % wise than the month before.  

May: 6.57% 

Current Main Quest (June 15 - June 30):  

Eat (Paleo 80/20): 

Ok, so there are 16 days left in June and I will be taking a main quest break from July 1 - July 6 because of a trip. My goal is pretty simple: to eat Paleo 80% of the days left between now and my trip, which means eating Paleo 13/16 days. However, there is more to it than this. I want my non-Paleo days to remain mindful... meaning if I choose to have a non-Paleo meal for whatever reason that doesn't necessarily give me license to stuff my face just because it's a non-Paleo day. This will be essential to my main quest goal of weighing less at the start of June than I weighed at the start of May. 

Grading: Pass/Fail (13/16 days full Paleo) 

Past Quests:

Move Baby Steps: A+ 

Workout at least 6x between May 12 & June 11. 

Sleep Baby Steps: F

Go to bed with no screens on weeknights by 11pm between May 12 & June 11. Only managed 1 time.

Whole 30: F

Complete a Whole30 between May 12 & June 11. Made it 24/30 days. 

• Like 1

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Respawn. | #1 | Current Challenge.

Wonderin were you went.

Haha yeah... I way overdid it in the January challenge and had too many things competing for my attention. As a business owner is is freaking difficult to find good balance between business health and self care and I failed miserably in the first half of 2015. The good news is I have over half a year left to turn things around! 

Week 1: Day 1 (5/12/15)

Eat:

1/30

Brunch: egg + spinach frittata

Dinner: turkey burger + grilled mushrooms

Snack: almonds

Move:

0/6

Sleep:

0/35

Thoughts:

Hmm. So sleep was an utter disaster. I missed my 10pm bedtime by almost an hour because I decided that getting a shower in was more important and procrastinated on hopping in the shower. Once I was in bed I did adhere to my no screen rule... but I stayed up reading until almost 3am because the new book that I started was a page turner. When I am in a pattern of healthy sleep habits, I have no trouble falling asleep after reading for a bit. Sometimes I fall asleep while reading my book. Last night I had to force myself to put my book down and I spent the the rest of the night tossing and turning and having weird dreams. I may switch tactics tomorrow and read one of the many business/industry related texts that are on my list to read. Surely reading a productivity book at night can put me to sleep... right? 

Win-Win. Either you learn a lot or you learn a little and sleep.

Ooh, I like this thinking! Also I'm so happy you found me so quickly - I was a teensy bit afraid that I'd have to start over with finding support since I've been gone so long... so glad I was wrong. I love NF! 

Glad you're back! I'll come back around and say more soon. Still nursing my wounds and working way too hard.

Take your time, love! I'm just happy to have you here and I know you'll be back to kicking ass and taking names soon! 

• Like 1

Week 1: Day 2 (5/13/15)

Eat:

2/30

Breakfast: scrambled eggs + 1/2 baked potato

Lunch: salad + chicken + homemade balsamic vinaigrette 

Dinner: mahi mahi + roasted spaghetti squash 

Move:

0/6

Sleep:

1/35

Ok, full disclosure. I did not make it to bed at 10pm, but that is because I ended up in an important conversation with my other half that I could not just walk away from. I'm giving myself the point because I feel that I adhered to the spirit of the challenge last night - I went to bed as soon as the conversation was over. 

Thoughts:

I continued reading my novel last night, just because I'm the type of person who can't really read more than one book at once. However, I started falling asleep around midnight and was able to easily put it down and go right to sleep. I slept until 10am today (yikes, that was not planned) so I am much better rested now. I really want to be mad at myself for sleeping in so late on a day that was planned to work in my business office, but I know that I need to learn to start prioritizing sleep. 

I'm not going to lie - before starting this Whole30 I fell really far off of the paleo wagon right back into old terrible eating habits. Instead of beating myself up about this, I've decided to focus on some positive things that have come from Whole30: 

• Diet Soda. I used to be a raging diet soda addict. I would drink a minimum of 60oz a day, sometimes double that amount. Yikes, right? Literally, if there was not diet soda in the house I felt that I didn't have anything to drink (except for coffee in the mornings). While diet soda did reappear in my diet between Whole30s, I'm no longer addicted to it and willingly choose iced tea or water over diet soda most of the time. At this point, diet soda is more of an occasional indulgence than anything and giving it up to start my second Whole30 has been basically a non-issue. 
  • Cheese. Oh my god I used to destroy cheese. Good cheese, crappy cheese, it didn't matter - if there was cheese in my house you'd eventually find me standing at the fridge eating it right out of the package with the door open. Just like diet soda, cheese has gone from being an addiction to an occasional indulgence. If I'm somewhere where there is an amazing cheese spread (and I'm not Whole30'ing) I'm going to indulge, but I can have cheese in the fridge at home and not mindlessly inhale it just because it exists. 
  • French Fries. I've figured something out about french fries. Most french fries suck. Like, 90% of french fries served at restaurants are not only not worth it, they are probably the least delicious side dish on the menu. While I still appreciate and love a really good pile of french fries, I refuse to eat shitty fries. Most of the time I opt out of fries entirely and go for something healthier, occasionally I opt out of fries and go for something less healthy... but the bigger lesson here is that if I'm going to indulge it damn well better be worth it. 

I'm sure there are more, but these are the major habit shifts that came to mind right away. I hope that my second Whole30 will bring more insight and habit change... it's pretty cool to realize that even as far as I've fallen off the wagon from my first complete Whole30 (which was in November 2014) there have been meaningful shifts in my habits. 

• Like 1

Okay that sleep thing...

I came to the realization tonight that a 10pm bedtime is just too big of a shift right now. For example, I was on the phone until after 10pm with my coach (more on that below) and I routinely have calls that I schedule for after mini-me's bedtime that are going to interfere with this rule. Since the goal is for this to be a baby step quest, I'm simply pushing this back to 11pm but otherwise adhering to the same rule set. It's not ideal, but it's a start. 

So... an addition to the old battle log. 

So, one of the awesome things about being a trained coach is getting to work with other trained coaches. I currently have a coaching partnership that has been really mutually beneficial in that we both get coaching practice and feedback, and we both get to be coached. Woo! Tonight I was talking with my coach about procrastination and we discovered that accountability is a big thing for me. I used my posting here as a way for me to stick to Whole30 as an example... there is just something about coming here in the mornings and reporting my success the day before to NF that makes me really happy. 

When I am being productive and things are clicking well for me, getting things done is almost effortless. However, when something throws a wrench into my life and I fall behind, I am prone to major procrastination. Overwhelm starts to consume me and my response is to spend hours dicking around on reddit instead of doing what I need to do. I'm currently stuck in the rut of a huge procrastination cycle and it's got to stop. 

With that being said, I'm simply going to add a daily accountability section to detail my accomplishments for the day. I'll hide the list behind a spoiler tag so that nobody has to read about me mopping my floor or scheduling my business social media posts for the week, but I think this will be really helpful for me. For some reason checking something off of my to do list really doesn't do it for me, but reflecting on my accomplishments does. It's not really going to be a part of my quest goals, so much as a tool for reflecting and accountability in a place where I already do a fair bit of reflecting and feel accountable. 

Week 1: Day 3 (5/14/15)

Eat:

3/30

Breakfast: slept through breakfast

Lunch: salad + chicken + homemade balsamic vinaigrette 

Dinner: pulled bbq beef + baked potato

Move:

0/6

Sleep:

1/35

Thoughts:

Oh good lord, where to even begin. Well, Whole30 is going swimmingly so far so there is that. That's about where things-going-right-in-ripple's-life ends, though. 

So sleep last night was such an utter spectacular fail it's almost comical. Well, it might be comical if I wasn't running on three hours of sleep and a high dose of anxiety induced adrenaline. As mentioned above, my call with my coach ran until about 10:30 which would have been fine, but I had work that absolutely had to be done after the call ended. Then, just as I was heading off to bed I realized that mini-me's school registration packet was due the next morning and I had absolutely zero time in my schedule to run out to her pediatrician for the medical form and the notary for some ridiculous thing I have to sign saying my 4 year old has never been expelled from a school for a felony. Cue massive anxiety and frantic googling to see if there was any way I could make it to all of the destinations I needed to hit to make this happen AND make it to my doctor for a very important post-surgery (precancerous cells in my cervix, serious stuff) appointment by 10am AND make it to my client today by noon. 

Needless to say instead of sleeping I spent the night trying not to climb the walls. Anxiety sucks. 

This morning I filled my other half (who peacefully slumbered through my panic attack) in on my complete slackerdom and the situation it put me in, and he took the morning off and took care of it all. What a good man. I think I'll keep him. But fucking seriously... he shouldn't have to rearrange his day because I can't get my shit together lately. (Side note: there will be lots of cursing in this battle log. Get used to it.)

I had planned on going to the gym today (my last opportunity this week as the group training is M-F) but since I can't seem to read a fucking calender lately I didn't realize that I have an appointment after my client today that will run too late for me to make it by the last class window. 

I need to get my shit together. Badly. This is getting ridiculous. 

Week 1: Day 4 (5/15/15)

Eat:

4/30

Breakfast: scrambled eggs + spaghetti squash 

Lunch: bbq beef + baked potato 

Dinner: 

Move:

0/6

Sleep:

1/35

Week 1: Day 5 (5/16/16) 

Eat:

5/30

Breakfast: slept through breakfast

Lunch: scrambled eggs + baked potato

Dinner: taco salad + paleo ranch 

Move:

0/6

Sleep:

1/35

Thoughts:

I'm going to start my accountability thing tomorrow. I also need to do my coaching homework... I'm writing that here so that I make it a priority between now and the next time I meet with my coach. It has to do with getting my shit together, so it's important that I make time for it. 

Whole30 has been a win so far, sleep and moving not so much. Grawr. 

Week 1: Day 6 (5/17/15)

Eat:

6/30

Breakfast: skipped breakfast

Lunch: hamburger + salad + roasted green beans + potato chips* 

Dinner: bacon + eggs

*So, I did a tiny bit of nutritional off roading yesterday, and I refuse to feel bad about it. More on that below in the thoughts section. 

Move:

0/6

Sleep:

1/35

Thoughts:

So, we went to my inlaws yesterday for a BBQ, and I made the decision to not worry so much about being perfectly Whole30 so long as I avoided the absolutely non-compliant foods (hamburger buns, brownies, ice cream, booze, sugar laden fruit salad) and stuck to food that was mostly compliant of which there was plenty. I chose the salad dressing that had the least amount of garbage in it, the green beans had some parmesan on them, I'm sure the hamburger seasoning had trace amounts of something that I'm not supposed to have, etc. Funnily enough the potato chips were the only thing on the menu that I knew to be made of 100% compliant ingredients (though they break the sex with your pants on rule): potatoes, sunflower oil, salt.  I had one plate of food (just like I would if I was eating at home), I was satisfied after, and I stopped eating. 

Now... I get why Whole30 is as strict as it is and if you are thinking about doing your first ever Whole30, I highly, highly, highly recommend that you do it to the letter of the law. I went so far on my first Whole30 to call ahead to restaurants so that I could make a gameplan for eating out and to make a completely Whole30 compliant Thanksgiving dinner, right down to the gravy. 

However, subsequent Whole30 plans have been derailed because I've had trouble navigating social plans and I simply don't have a block of time in my calendar where I don't have any of those for thirty days. I get so stressed about how I'm going to plan around them and stay on my Whole30 which usually means that I either don't enjoy the social event at all because I'm too much in my own head worrying about Whole30 compliance or I decide that I'll start over after the event and go completely off the reservation stuffing myself to the point of being uncomfortable with foods that aren't even all that worth it as far as cheats go. 

Enter the middle ground strategy. For this Whole30 I am allowing myself to make choices that follow the spirit of the Whole30 if, and only if, I am at a social event where someone else has prepared the food and I have no control over the menu. (I will still strive for 100% compliance at restaurants as it is much easier for me to avoid eating out on Whole30 or to steer eating out plans toward a restaurant that I know has compliant choices than it is to completely avoid social events at someone's home that coincide with a meal time. My last ditch strategy here is to pack homemade dressing and order a salad and I'm happy to do that with zero shame... my homemade dressing tastes better anyway.) As far as I know I only have one more social event coming up in the next 30 days and the theme is a luau which means there will be delicious pork (that likely has sugar in it) and other fresh food choices that fit the spirit of the Whole30 even if they are not 100% compliant. I will go, I will have a good time, and I will make the best possible choices I can given the menu choices. 

This minor tweak (which amounts to a total of two meals) eliminates 100% of the stress that I associate with a Whole30. Literally, the alternative is to let these two meals completely derail my Whole30 or to spend the entire thirty day duration worrying about how I'm going to navigate two meals while staying 100% compliant. The middle ground option takes all of the stress away but does not give me license to otherwise be anything but 100% compliant - it feels like just the solution I needed and navigating yesterday with success let me know that it is something I can do without feeling like I have license to go completely off plan. 

Seriously, every other aspect of staying compliant (cooking all of our meals, packing my own lunches when I am going to be out for lunch, navigating restaurants) is relatively easy and low stress for me at this point, so eliminating the one thing that threatens my success by introducing a minor compromise feels like the right thing to do. 

• Like 1

HCowdnRR.png

It sucked. I battled dizziness the entire time, as I do every time I take a hiatus. I missed one circuit out of six because I ran out of time. I still feel a little nauseous. 

But you know what? I. fucking. did. it. 

cfdO8vV.gif

It only gets better from here and I feel a stretch of beastmode coming on. Bring it. 

• Like 2

Week 1: Day 7 (5/18/15)

Eat:
7/30
Lunch: zucchini + summer squash soup, soft boiled eggs
Dinner: paleo tacos (We bake a potato and hollow it out, then season the shell with cumin and chili powder and bake it for another 10 mins. Better than a taco shell!) 

So, things are going well except for the whole skipping breakfast every day thing. I struggle to get enough food in my body during Whole30 as it is, skipping breakfast is muy bad. 

Move:
1/6

Went to the gym. Did not die. 

Sleep:
1/35

Still failing hard here, but I did fall asleep fairly quickly last night and I slept soundly, so that's a start. 

Thoughts:
So, I made my not-so-triumphant return to the gym yesterday. And yanno what? It wasn't awful. I survived. I was only able to complete 5/6 circuits as I fell behind the rest of the class due to dizziness (which is normal for me the first couple of times after returning from a hiatus) and even better I'm not even horrifically sore this morning... just normal sore.

Definitely need to work on eating more on Whole30. I'm not a breakfast person in general so I find myself falling into the bad habit of skipping breakfast on days I don't have clients. This is partially due to the fact that I'm struggling with sleeping in so by the time I wake up I figure I'll just wait until lunch. 

Sleep is still mostly a fail, though I did fall asleep easily last night once I went to bed, around midnight. 

Accountability (5/19/15):

So, I decided I won't hide these posts as it'll help me to see them, but I'll make them separate in case anyone is actually reading this and wants to scroll on by.

Work:

Today I finally reorganized my email. I tried undoing all of my filters and using the Gmail categories instead and it was an utter disaster, especially since the Gmail categories don't sync to my iPhone so it was hard to see what email was important on the go. I also got my inbox down to zero by setting up new filters for the unimportant stuff and scheduling tasks or doing them right away. Did a bunch of email tasks that I've been putting off including:

Scheduling time to be interviewed on a podcast. 

Downloading and organizing all of my documents for an upcoming course. (still need to print them)

Emailed a mandatory study group partner for the same course to set up our times to work together.

Confirmed a new client, sent her welcome packet and invoice. 

My desk/office is finally back in shape after being out of town for a week and sick for two more. I feel like I can breathe/work in this space again. I did the following:

Cleaned off my desk, put things where they go or tossed/recycled as appropriate. 

Took everything off desk and dusted/wiped everything down. 

Finally finished unpacking the rest of my conference stuff, put the new things away and put my suitcase & overnight bag away.

Dust mopped office floor.  

Home:

Met with roofer to discuss options for new roof. 

Chopped lettuce & carrots and made homemade dressing for dinner.

Ordered needle for new (old) turntable. 

Picked up breakfast room area: cleared off buffet, sofa table & kitchen counter and put items where they go. 

Okay, so I did more today than I thought which is awesome, but this list still seems sorta lame. Anyway, it's a benchmark... we'll see how things go from here. 

Week 2: Day 8 (5/19/15)

Eat:

8/30

Lunch: baked potato + grilled chicken

Dinner: turkey burger + salad + homemade italian vinaigrette 

Move:

1/6

Sleep:

1/35

Thoughts:

Slept through breakfast again yesterday, and yet again today. I'm not sure what is going on here with my superhuman ability to sleep 10 hours a night, but it's really cramping my style. It feels sorta like my typical winter funk (which definitely causes me to oversleep) but when I'm awake I don't feel particularly... umm... funky. Maybe it's the energy dip that typically comes along with Whole30? 

Speaking of Whole30 symptoms... I really don't have any other than the sleeping thing. My first Whole30 was complete torture on my system until about Day 22. This time around, it's been relatively easy to make the switch. I guess some of the lasting habits that stuck around long after my first meant that this time around it's less of a shock to my system? Not sure, but it's definitely awesome to be able to slip right back into Whole30 and not have to deal with paleo flu all over again. 

Gym soreness has gotten a bit worse, but that's ok. Planning on hitting the gym again on Friday - it's a busy day so I'll need to pack my gym bag and some fuel to get me through since I won't be able to go until 6pm - I'll wait to eat dinner until after because going with too much food on my stomach puts me at risk of vomiting. If I drive like a maniac I could hit the 5pm class too... we'll see how the day goes. 

I'm reading The Willpower Instinct. It has been on my to-read list for a long time now and it's fascinating stuff. The idea is to read a chapter a week and to work through the exercises week by week, but I think I'm at my capacity to handle new challenges at the moment. So for now I'm reading through the entire book once to absorb the information as a whole, then I'll circle back around to it later as a new battle log quest - perhaps after my big 4th of July weekend trip (which will involve very little willpower use on my part... bring on the deep dish pizza and the craft beers please). 

Accountability (5/21/15):

Work:

Made progress on a possible partnership project. Didn't get the answer I wanted, but didn't get a complete no either. 

Onboarded a new client. 

Set up a collaborative meeting. 

Finalized details with my study group partner and emailed administrator with details.

Kept my inbox at zero, completed all inbox tasks. 

Home:

Cleaned family room, dining room, playroom, & kitchen:

Picked up & put things away 

Had family go through DVDs and downsized

Dusted furniture

Swept/dust mopped floor

Vacuumed rugs

Cleaned downstairs bathroom sink, vanity & toilet

Gotta say, knowing I'd have to come here and report something made me get off my ass on that cleaning project. 

Week 2: Day 9 (5/20/15)

Eat:

9/30

Lunch: applegate farms hot dogs + zucchini & summer squash soup

Dinner: grilled chicken + grilled vegetable packets  

Move:

1/6

Sleep:

1/35

Thoughts:

Another day, another sleeping in past breakfast. Seriously... this is starting to make me downright angry. WHY AM I SLEEPING 10 FRIGGING HOURS A NIGHT?! 

Planning on hitting the gym tomorrow so I'm right on track there and other than skipping meals because I'm sleeping like a hibernating bear Whole30 is going just fine too. 

Week 2: Days 10-13 (5/21/15 - 5/24/15)

Eat:

13/30

Move:

2/6

Sleep:

1/35

Thoughts:

Hit the gym on Friday and have been sporting t-rex arms ever since. 

Whole30 is Whole30'ing right along.

Sleep is not happening. 

Two out of three ain't bad? 

EyPEmeE5.png

So, Friday's workout went much better. I was able to complete all of the circuits in the 50 minute time frame... though I've been paying all weekend with t-rex arms. 

Next week is looking tough for getting to the gym more than once or twice. I could go tomorrow if I go in the morning before my client. But... uhh... I'm afraid. You see, the last time I attempted to go during the day I had to quit halfway through the workout because it was much more intense and the people in the group were definitely miles ahead of me in terms of fitness which meant I had no hope of keeping up. I know that trainer is no longer with the gym but I'm not sure exactly who is doing daytime training right now and I'm afraid to just show up and find out. 

I know this is an issue of me vs. my own headtrash. Nobody cares if I'm slower than anyone else, and nobody is hurt by me skipping a daytime class except for me. 

Looking at the schedule now, nobody is even signed up for the 9am time frame, which would be my preference (enough time to get breakfast in me and let it settle before working out). I hate working with the trainer alone more than I hate being the slowest person in a group. Again, headtrash. 

You know what? Fuck it. Just signed up for 9am. If I limit myself to ONLY going at 4pm it's going to take me a zillion years to get where I want to be. 

And just for funsies, I'm going to ask myself a question I ask my clients all of the time: What is the worst that can happen?

I throw up. (Hasn't happened yet, I know when to stop pushing myself generally.)

I have to quit early.

I can't make it through all of the circuits.

Someone else signs up and is much faster than me. 

Yep, even if all of those things happen, I'm still better off than not having gone at all. 

• Like 2

Oh. kay.

So I faced down my fear of the daytime gym... sorta. 

Last night I had a panic attack. 

eadcb038d02282c622738af578398c9d92ac1611

It's not really as bad as it sounds, it's just something that happens to me once a month or so. If I was smart, I'd learn to take a freaking xanax at the first sign of a panic attack, but I always try to convince myself that it's not a panic attack and that if I lay in bed doing deep breathing exercises for long enough I will calm down. Then an hour goes by and I'm somewhat more relaxed from an hour of deep breathing until I look at the clock and my brain goes OH MY GOD YOU ARE DEFINITELY NOT GOING TO GET ENOUGH SLEEP NOW and my anxiety level immediately spikes back up to where it was and continues to get worse until the only way to come down from it and actually get some damn sleep is to take a pill. In case you haven't figured this out already, I really hate relying on medication to control my anxiety... even if it's only once a month. Hi, I'm a stubborn one. 

Sooooo... obviously I did not make the gym at 9am. I wasn't even out of bed at 9am. 

Now, this would have been the perfect excuse to skip the gym today. I mean come on guys, I had a PANIC ATTACK last night. Poor me. I didn't get enough sleep. I still feel a little wonky from the xanax I finally relented and took at 2am. I deserve to take it easy today. Going at 2pm is my only option left with my schedule today and that, like, disrupts my whole day. How will I get anything else done? And then I have to shower afterward so that basically kills my entire afternoon! There is no way I can do this today. 

Good thing the ass kicking long term goal oriented part of my brain stepped and simply said: That's a load of bullshit excuses. Get dressed and go. 

So, I went. 

14sy6VGAd4BdKM.gif

And, for more funsies let's revisit my worst case scenario: 

I throw up: NOPE. Didn't even get queasy. I think I'm getting better at planning my meals around gym time to make sure I have enough fuel (I get dizzy working out fasted) without being too full too close to workout time (cause then I feel like I'm going to toss my cookies). 

I have to quit early: Nope. 

I can't make it through all of the circuits: Nope. I did ask the trainer to modify a couple of the ending conditioning moves, but I made it. 

Someone else signs up and is much faster than me: Yep, I was the slowest of 3 people. And it was no big freaking deal. 

Unfortunately, I did ask who trains in the mornings and found out it rotates between the two gym owners. I've never worked out with them before... and they scare the shit out of me. Depending on my schedule this may be a fear to tackle next week, but in the meantime the 2pm slot is now something I feel 100% comfortable doing when it works with my schedule. Yay!