Language-Learning Programs/Software/Apps

First things first: check with your local library. Some libraries have subscriptions to language learning programs, and offer it as a free service to their patrons. :)

My library used to have Mango Languages, which was really good, and is available for purchase individually too.

Now it has Rosetta Stone, but I haven't had time to check it out yet.

Duo Lingo is pretty good for being free, but I don't think it has quite the selection of languages to pick from as others (though it's been some time since I've used it).

The biggest tips I have:

Consistent time.  20 minutes a day is better than four hours once a week.

Find a target-language station on TV or tunein.  Play this station all the time when you are doing something that allows for background noise.

Repetition is better.  Studying a list of vocab words hard for a couple hours once is not nearly as effective as reading them over twice a day for a week.

I don't like Rosetta Stone- they make a big deal about "learning language like a child" while ignoring the physiological differences between a child's brain and an adult's.  Children acquire languages, but adults must learn them. 

I really like Pimsleur for the basics, though I haven't used the Spanish one.  It's repeat-after-audio, leading quickly into producing your own sentences based on the grammar structures and vocab.  It's very effective and structured well, but doesn't do much for writing or reading.

The more methods (visual, physical, audible, oral) you can use to learn, the better it will stick.  I used to practice Chinese vocab lists by playing the audio file and repeating the words out loud while physically writing them (and looking at them) on a whiteboard.  Over and over and over.

• Like 1

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

Best software I've found for vocab is Anki, the 'droid app is great. I'm working on French; it'll definitely be in my next challenge. 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I can help you with Spanish. It's my native language.

Thanks!  Not sure I'm actually ready to start working with a native speaker, but I appreciate the offer (and will take you up on it when I can say more than "Hola")!

Best software I've found for vocab is Anki, the 'droid app is great. I'm working on French; it'll definitely be in my next challenge. 

Sweet.  I'll add it to the list.  Thanks!

I'll throw in a vote for Duolingo as well! I'm currently using it to teach myself a bit of German. For me at least, it's been a great starting point to build up a knowledge foundation, it's free, and the app is very easy to use.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a language learning quest for the next challange as well. :rapture:

[Currently training for the Hunger Games]

Captain's (Battle) Log • Challenge Log

I'll throw in a vote for Duolingo as well! I'm currently using it to teach myself a bit of German. For me at least, it's been a great starting point to build up a knowledge foundation, it's free, and the app is very easy to use.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a language learning quest for the next challange as well. :rapture:

Du solltest! Deutsch ist so schön. Und, wenn du ein Tandem-partnerin willst, schreib mir an.

My grammar isn't great, but I'm always looking for practice so I don't lose it!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

Schreib mir fur Deutsch auch an!  My vocab has regressed to probably a 2 year old level, unfortunately, but practicing is the best help! Case in point, I can NOT figure out where "fur Deutsch" should go in that sentence.  Also how the heck did you find umlauts?

Embembol

Level 0 Wood Elf

Str 0 | Dex 0 | Sta 0 | Con 0 | Wis 0 | Cha 0

Current Quest

Hey look, I figured out how to embed a link right ^  Neato!

Schreib mir fur Deutsch auch an!  My vocab has regressed to probably a 2 year old level, unfortunately, but practicing is the best help! Case in point, I can NOT figure out where "fur Deutsch" should go in that sentence.  Also how the heck did you find umlauts?

haha, like I said... grammar isn't my strong point.  Ich spreche auch wie ein kleines Kind!  

I have German and French keyboards activated/installed on my computer. It's a quick Alt+Tab to change languages. If you're using Windows:

1. Open Region and Language by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, clicking Control Panel, clicking Clock, Language, and Region, and then clicking Region and Language.

2. Click the Keyboards and Languages tab, and then click Change keyboards.

3. Under Installed services, click Add.

4. Double-click the language you want to add, double-click Keyboard, select the text services options you want to add, and then click OK.

I have been doing a combination of Duolingo, Mango and an old tv program called Destinos for about 6 months for Spanish and it works fairly well. If you want to practice pm me, Im in serious need of someone to talk to to help build up my skills

Argent, canton gules, chief dexter lion rampant or, armed and pizzled argent langued gules, sinister ramshead gules.

Shotokan Karate, Danzan-Ryu Jiu Jitsu, Fiorie Armizare

I'll cast another vote for Duolingo and I think you should definitely take up the offer to study with a native speaker :)

Concerning that, I wanted to offer to anyone who wants to learn german to add me in Skype if you want to speak/write with a native speaker from Austria.

Also if you don't have Umlauts on your keyboard you can substitute with ue for ü , ae for ä and oe for ö. That's common practise and completely allowed.

Achillessehne

Human Assassin Lvl 2 

Feel free to add me in skype "mearuwankel", just mention nerdfitness.

I just re-booted my DuoLingo for bringing my French work back online. I forgot how much focus it takes to pick up language... it's time to start scheduling time! 

Has anyone used FluentU? The video thing looks useful (watching people speak a language is helpful to me), but don't know where their "free"-ness ends. 

Concerning that, I wanted to offer to anyone who wants to learn german to add me in Skype if you want to speak/write with a native speaker from Austria.

Ich werde, danke schön! Wo genau wohnst du? 

ITalki is a great site for connecting language teachers and learners. If you value a more fave to face experience. I've used it to have Cantonese lessons with a teacher in Hong Kong via Skype. It's great to have someone to correct you on your pronunciation and answer your questions. Pretty reasonable prices depending on the reputation and qualifications of the teacher.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Level 10 - Ironborn sellsword        Weight loss goal: 90kg --> 70kg      Endurance goal: non-stop 5km       Power goal: 10 full form pushups

Find me: My Fitness Pal | Fitbit | Feb 16 challenge

"I don't want to have a dozen sons. I want to have adventures" ~ Asha Greyjoy

Duolingo is a great app for Spanish. I also recommend free websites like iTalki and fluentU. FluentU uses videos to help you learn, iTalki is more community base like the NF forums to help you learn. They also offer lessons but those you have to pay for. There's also SpanishPod101.com. I haven't used that site, but I have used their sister site, Japanese Pod, which is really great. Memrise is a great website and app for learning and memorizing vocabulary words.

Fayrn

Mermaid Assassin Lv 7

| STR 9.75 | DEX 10.5 | STA 13.5 | CON 15 | WIS 11.75 | CHA 14.25 |

Current Challenge

Past Challenges: {1st}{2nd}{3rd}{4th}{5th}{6th}

Character Profile

Books Read

20.94%

20.94%

Money Saved

25%

25%