• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BoxingYogini

A Girl Walks into a Kickboxing Class...what should she...

There is a ladies' kickboxing class near me at a smaller gym and I am thinking about giving it a try. What should a newbie kickboxer look for in a class? Do newbies spar right off the bat? I could use some advice on how to evaluate the class. Thanks.

• Like 1

I can't speak for kickboxing but in most striking arts I have experience with you usually wait a month or two until you actually begin sparing. Other than that just remember that anyone can buy trophies and contracts are typically a sign of a poor school. 

• Like 2

I'm doing kickboxing right now (planning on moving onto Muy Thai) and no we do not start sparring right off the bat.  It also depends on the nature of the class too; kickboxing has become really popular form of cardio with strength training mixed in (punching and kicking a bag will add that) so if it's a fitness-centered class, definitely don't expect ANY sparring.  You'll probably start off on the bag and then after a while move on to hitting a partner-held mitt.

If you're interested in learning how to throw punch, proper kicking technique, I would definitely see how the instructor leads the class.  Do they come up to students and try to fix mistakes or show proper technique?  Are they just calling combos and then switching to burpees and jumping jacks?  If the class is small, do they pull students from the bag and then give individual demonstrations or technique practice? Do they explain the hows and whys of the technique or is that just skimmed over?  Stuff like that is what I would look for.

P.S: I am no expert and you'll probably get much better advice from the awesome monk folks.  Hehe just couldn't help try and give my own perspective :)

• Like 1

I am currently doing Muay Thai and I can say that it all depends on the instructors.

I used to do box before and the instructor there would just show us how to throw a punch and then sit at his desk calling the rounds.

My current instructor, while a relative newbie, is much more hands on. He'll pass by each of us showing us the proper techninque while on the bags. He also has one day a week dedicated to just technique.

As for sparring, he never forces us to spar. I was training for two months before I decided to try it out. Now I never miss it, unless I have an injury.

• Like 2

As stated above there is no reason any newbies should spar.  You haven't learned the proper way to throw strikes, nor would you have had time to learn how to defend against them.  For the people I've taught, I make them wait 3 - 4 months depending on their ability to determine if they are ready for sparring.  Now...there are a lot of BAD coaches out there, one aspect of them, is they try and force you into sparring well before you are comfortable to do so.  

That's one of the easiest ways to evaluate a class.  

Also, if they focus on putting speed and power behind strikes before learning the proper technique.  IF they do that, they pretty much are doing it to compensate for not knowing the technique properly themselves. 

• Like 2

Spar right off the bat? Probably not. Not unless you ask for it.

But hearing that it's a "lades' kickboxing class" at a gym, I'm about 80% certain that it's a group cardio kickboxing class (if not a self-defense class where they tell you to kick the balls and run away) and not a face-punching one, so there's nothing to worry about.

Spar right off the bat? Probably not. Not unless you ask for it.

This video, is bullshit. A guy would be blackballed from training, if he ever did something like that.

Agreed, strictly from the phrasing, it doesn't sound like there will be any sparring. They find that women, typically don't want to spar, so they tend to let you know, by putting women, in the title.

That is the norm, but there is a gym here, in Portland, called G.I.R.L.S. Gym. It's an all female MMA/ boxing/grappling, school. I think they need to expand into other states.

This video, is bullshit. A guy would be blackballed from training, if he ever did something like that.

Meh, not really. As long as the guy doesn't act like a douche about it. I've heard of quite a number guys doing this or something similar (and saw a few). I think the combat sports community has a bigger issue with self-promoted charlatans and mcdojos than sandbaggers.

• Like 2

Meh, not really. As long as the guy doesn't act like a douche about it. I've heard of quite a number guys doing this or something similar (and saw a few). I think the combat sports community has a bigger issue with self-promoted charlatans and mcdojos than sandbaggers.

The act alone was douchey. Pretending you know nothing, then turning it on and beating on someone. I was meaning more of, if it were against a female.

There are too many fakes out there, though. I make sure to try and get as much of a pedigree as I can on any instructor I train with.

• Like 2

The act alone was douchey. Pretending you know nothing, then turning it on and beating on someone. I was meaning more of, if it were against a female.

There are too many fakes out there, though. I make sure to try and get as much of a pedigree as I can on any instructor I train with.

There's been several times I've gone out of town and/or just tried a new gym and sandbagged just to see what level of training the gym offered.  Granted I wouldn't just turn it on and stomp my training partners, but until I see the quality of training a gym offers I'm notorious for playing dumb. 

• Like 2

There's been several times I've gone out of town and/or just tried a new gym and sandbagged just to see what level of training the gym offered.  Granted I wouldn't just turn it on and stomp my training partners, but until I see the quality of training a gym offers I'm notorious for playing dumb. 

I see no problem here.  

But there's a difference between playing dumb to assess a gyms training, and playing dumb to tromp all over some poor unsuspecting guy who is just doing his job.  

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just from a different school of thought having trained in Thailand for almost 10 years, but if I were serious about joining a gym as a beginner, knowing what I know now, I'd be disappointed if I was expected to wait 2-3+ months to spar. That's a little ridiculous. If you don't want to spar it is usually optional however if you want to take the sport seriously, even just as a hobby, you should find a gym that conducts controlled/technical sparring for beginners. There is no reason you can't go at 50% speed and power with another beginner under the watch of an attentive trainer. Sparring teaches you timing, improves your coordination and confidence, and most of all will teach you about control. I work at a gym and spar with beginners, especially women as there are only a handful of us, on a regular basis to help them improve (going about 30-50% myself and they are usually 70% speed/50% power). I barely hit them..just a few taps here and there so they can get used to it.

Bottom line is don't be afraid to spar. If you're going 2-3 times a week consistently you should be able to start with basic sparring in a month or less. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

we start in finland after two or three weeks. 6ix you are probably different than most of these western people. i've trained in thailand and the mentality there is very different than in anywhere else in the world. nonetheless around in usa and europe it's just a hobby for the most. they have no intention on competing and get their fix just by banging the pads twice a week. and those trainers are the one's that carry the most money into the gyms. that is why many gyms here move the start of the sparring forward a lot.

I see no problem here.  

But there's a difference between playing dumb to assess a gyms training, and playing dumb to tromp all over some poor unsuspecting guy who is just doing his job.  

If I remember right, at the beginning of the video they also say it was a joke for their new MT coaches correct?  Under normal circumstances I completely agree, tromping all over someone like that would show a massive lack of class and respect.  If it was just a joke to mess with them then, I see no harm in it.