Makeup free

Hey ladies!  

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this but I wanted to share my experience here in case it helps someone else.  I only joined NF recently, but have been working diligently on my fitness level since last Thanksgiving.  I’ve also been trying to “streamline†my life by discarding unneeded items, simplifying my wardrobe, etc as I am presently living out of a suitcase.

One of the things I noticed when I sat down and looked at my life was that I wore more makeup when I was in situations that made me nervous or in situations that I felt inadequate due to lack of fitness/inexperience/whatever you like.   I wore it to conferences or to bars or whatever, and I would think to myself “I may be a little tubby but at least my makeup looks great!†and that would give me confidence. 

Even though I bought a reasonable brand (Clinique) I was still putting a lot of crap on my face back – I traveled with two kinds of foundation, BB crème, eye liner, shadow, mascara, eyebrow pencils, lipstick, blush, bronzer, a Bare Minerals fixing powder – I didn’t wear all of it all of the time but I liked to think of it as my “armor†and I alway put it on before leaving the house.

The idea that my confidence was superficial pissed me off, so I decided to go one month without wearing makeup... I want my confidence to be genuine and 100% my own.  That was in January – now it’s almost June and I haven’t gone back to my makeup wearing ways save a few fancy dinner nights.  I do still wear eyeliner and mascara and sometimes use my eyebrow pencil, but that’s about it.  I clean my face with a Garnier shine-control gel and am using a bit of scar-away type stuff on old acne scars, but other than that I leave my face alone.

I have noticed:

---I used to put makeup on before leaving the house even if I was just running down to the grocery store… now I regularly work without foundation.  I'm no longer feeling the need to hide behind my makeup mask -- mostly because when I stopped wearing it nobody seemed to notice at all.

---My face has completely stopped breaking out...  I mean, I turned 30 last year and it was ridiculous that I was still acne-prone, but I always just assumed I had oily skin and was doomed to dealing with it forever.  I wish I'd cut products ten years ago!

---This has turned into a super positive cycle, where I don’t want to wear makeup because my skin is better without it, then I feel more confident, then I don’t feel a need to wear makeup, then my skin stays good, etc etc etc…

---I go to the gym more --- ditching makeup nuked one of my excuses.  I used to avoid going to the gym when I knew I’d have to go out afterwards because I didn’t want to redo my makeup.  Now I don’t hesitate to get all sweaty, shower, throw on a little more mascara and head out the door. 

The only real drawback I've seen so far is that since I always wore SPF foundation before, I have to be much more careful in the sun now -- let's just say I wear a lot hats .  Still, it's a small adjustment to pay for the clearest skin I've had since I was thirteen.

• Like 9

:: wanderbound ::

Level 2 Gryffindor half-elf assassin & rider in The Wild Hunt

STR: 4 |  DEX: 2  |  STA: 2  |  CON: 0  |  WIS: 4  |  CHA: 1 

..... current (2nd) challenge! ..... epic quest! .....

“When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too.†― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Oh, this is brilliant -- I'm not sure how that hasn't occurred to me, but it sure hasn't!  Thank you so much for the idea!!

“When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too.†― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

I did this a few years ago, and I agree completely. My reasoning was part expense, part my hot, hot job making my makeup run and cake. My skin is a lot better, and I've found that wearing Bare Minerals on rare occasion doesn't do any damage. For the first few weeks, my skin wasn't great, and people asked me if I was feeling OK, but the transition was pretty minimal.

• Like 1

Yep, same here, made the transition a couple years ago, and my skin never looked better. Although I still use some foundation rarely, and just a liiittle eye makeup like twice a week if there's the occasion, it's great not to be a slave to the products anymore.

• Like 1

I did this a few years ago, and I agree completely. My reasoning was part expense, part my hot, hot job making my makeup run and cake. My skin is a lot better, and I've found that wearing Bare Minerals on rare occasion doesn't do any damage. For the first few weeks, my skin wasn't great, and people asked me if I was feeling OK, but the transition was pretty minimal.

I think I might roll over to Bare Minerals entirely for foundation.  i always thought Clinique was a solid hypoallergenic choice but it's expensive and was still making my face break out.   And my fixative stuff was Bare Minerals and I did really enjoy it.

Yep, same here, made the transition a couple years ago, and my skin never looked better. Although I still use some foundation rarely, and just a liiittle eye makeup like twice a week if there's the occasion, it's great not to be a slave to the products anymore.

Totally!!  Particularly with foundation, that stuff is expensive... and as soon as I stopped wearing it I stopped needing it, grrrrr.

I wish someone had suggested to me when I was younger that daily makeup is a waste of time and money.  It can be fun to apply but I always assumed the people around me were wearing as much makeup as I was and never stopped to consider how much stuff was being put onto my skin. XD

• Like 1

Weird, I've had Clinique for three years now and it's the best I've ever tested. Even when I used to wear a lot of it, it didn't make my skin breakout like every other foundation I has tested. Oh well, everyone has it different. It's still cool not to have to battle to find a discount on the the expensive little tyrant of an object that costs 46 euros and rules your life and self-esteem before your current bottle finishes :tongue:. *inhaler*

• Like 1

Weird, I've had Clinique for three years now and it's the best I've ever tested. Even when I used to wear a lot of it, it didn't make my skin breakout like every other foundation I has tested. Oh well, everyone has it different. It's still cool not to have to battle to find a discount on the the expensive little tyrant of an object that costs 46 euros and rules your life and self-esteem before your current bottle finishes :tongue:. *inhaler*

I've always had problems with Clinique. They make a lot of claims but their stuff is harsh.

I suspect Clinique changed their formulas about five years back -- I know their mascara changed, because used to be able to wear it and now it gives me SUPER awful swollen-eyed allergic reactions.  At the time I wrote in asking to know what had been altered because I wanted to know what I was allergic to but never heard back.

I also have less of a reaction to their matte powders than their liquid foundation, and their BB creme seems to be the worst for me... but yeah.  Everyone is different, I'm glad it works for you, Ilham!!

At any rate, I'm totally up for any thoughts on alternatives for those rare occasions I do need to wear makeup...

• Like 1

I did the transition, too :)

I had been thinking about that a lot. I took courage when I was leaving job for three weeks for medical reasons. When I got back with only mascara and blush, at first they kept asking me me if I was too tired / feeling sick, but now they begun telling me "hey it's good to see you with such a good complexion. Sure you're feeling good now".

Thanks, it's just my skin breathing.

• Like 1

• Ladygazza  :lemo: 

Race: Lightfoot Halfling | Class: Assassin

[Level: 1 | STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1 ]

​Current quest: Lemons!

Battle log: Le cahier de Mme Pie aka The Ladygazza

Accountabilibuddies: Aspiring Assassin Apprentice Accountabilibuddies

I only wear makeup for special occasions. I started oil cleansing my face with avocado oil mixed 2:1 with castor oil. I put a little in my hands and rub it onto my dry face before I get in the shower, then I take a washcloth and get it wet with hot water and lay it over my face until it's cool, repeat once, then use the washcloth to rub the oil off. It leaves my skin really smooth, and makes it less oily than it used to be. My job is also behind the scenes away from customers, so I don't feel like I need to wear makeup most days.

When I do wear makeup, I use Every Day Minerals. It's like Bare Minerals, but cheaper. The ingredients are just mica and mineral powders. I haven't worn mascara in a long time, but I'm planning to make my own with charcoal and various oils as I'm very sensitive to chemicals.

• Like 1

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

Wow I thought I was the only woman who doesn't wear makeup, so glad I'm not alone! :D I never went through a transition phase though, I was just never interested in it - always seems like way too much effort for an aesthetic only benefit, and I'm pretty lazy. Sometimes I'm curious as to what I would look like with full makeup, but because I was never into it, I would have no idea what to do, and then anything I bought to try out it would end up going to waste after that anyway. :P

• Like 3

Challenge 3 | Challenge 2 | Challenge 1

L3 Elf: | 0 STR | 1.6 DEX | 7.4 STA | 6.8 WIS | 8.6 CON | 3.8 CHA |

Overall Weight Loss Goal:

33.3%
33.3%

SW: 153lb CW: 142lb  GW: 120lb

This is so refreshing to read!

I wear bare minimum make up to work and stuff and then absolutely nothing at the weekends because I'm most likely sitting around the house anyway. I've never been a fan of the stuff, I don't have a steady hand and I'm not very good at it! 

A total contrast to my sisters who cake it on and puzzle over their terrible skin and then pile on even more to cover it all up!

• Like 1

Forest Pixie - Level 3 Monk

STR 3 | DEX 0 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 8 | CHA 1

Current Challenge | 32 | 1

I don't usually wear makeup other than lip gloss or lipstick and, sometimes in the darker months, blush (to be honest half the time my blush is actually lipstick used as blush.) I've never been a big makeup gal, which makes me the opposite of my sister (former Lancome lady.)

• Like 1

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

I wear makeup sometimes, but pretty much all I use is eye shadow. I have a bare minerals one that's really shiny gold, and I like putting it around my eyes sometimes :) 

But anyway. I don't care for the full-face, complicated makeup much. I was never allowed to wear it when all the other girls started wearing it ("you want people to see the real you", "if people don't like your actual face why would you want them to like your make-up-ed face?", &c, which I totally agree with). And by the time my parents allowed me to wear it, not only did I not have the first clue how to do it, I just wasn't interested. It was too much time. Also, my girl friends at the time (high school) did nothing at lunch but sit around yapping about this drama and that drama and "can you believe what he said to her?" and touching up their makeup, even when it looked fine, and it drove me nuts! They were so superficial. So I guess maybe I associate that excessive kind of makeup with that a little bit, now. 

• Like 1

Wow I thought I was the only woman who doesn't wear makeup, so glad I'm not alone! :D I never went through a transition phase though, I was just never interested in it - always seems like way too much effort for an aesthetic only benefit, and I'm pretty lazy. Sometimes I'm curious as to what I would look like with full makeup, but because I was never into it, I would have no idea what to do, and then anything I bought to try out it would end up going to waste after that anyway. :tongue:

Same here! :D I do wear make up when I have to go somewhere really formal but other than that I don't. I can't imagine including it in my morning routine for example. I know how to do the basic stuff (foundation, eye liner, mascara, blush and lipstick/lip gloss) but very badly. Once I had a professional do my make up because I had to go to a very formal event and I was too scared I'd mess it up. :redface:

• Like 2

Level "I have no clue" Warrior

Current challenge

Battle log

I also don't wear makeup. The most I wear is tinted moisturizer, and that's not everyday because it will still make me breakout if I wear it all the time.

I just never really got into it when I was a teenager. I think I had maybe one year where I wore it and a month or so where I would refuse to leave the house without it. But that stopped when my brother and I were headed to the grocery store and when I ran upstairs to apply it he yelled up the stairs "Really?! We're just going to the grocery store to pick up milk!" My mom also never wore makeup due to sensitive skin so I never watched her applying it growing up and she never pushed me to wear it. My only exposure was through friends. If you gave me something other than foundation to apply I would have no idea how to use it. I have a friend who use to work at Sephora and gave me a bunch of samplers that I now have no idea what they are let alone how to use them!

• Like 1

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

I used to wear heavy emo-like eyeliner. It was my armor against the world.

You might say I do the same thing with my pink hair now.

I stopped wearing eye make-up (the only make-up I typically ever wear) and it took some time for me to feel comfortable with a bare face. It didn't give me any miraculous insight though. The best thing I ever did from my self-image was buzzing my head!

• Like 1

I never really got into wearing much makeup, but every once in a while I'd freak everybody out by wearing makeup, curling my hair, and putting on heels.  I did that once to go out to dinner with my parents when I'd been off work for a week and a half due to a concussion, and Mom's reaction was to tell me I must have hit my head harder than I thought.  Bare Minerals is the only brand I've found that doesn't start itching after an hour or so, but I haven't exactly gone trying to find something new as I wear it so rarely.

That being said...I have a friend who has run a marathon in full makeup, no joke.  If you want to play with makeup, ex-pageant queens have EVERYthing.  :playful:

• Like 1

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. - Joan Gussow

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. - Cicero

Current Quest Previous 1 2 3 4 (formerly known as Twibble)

I never really got into wearing much makeup, but every once in a while I'd freak everybody out by wearing makeup, curling my hair, and putting on heels.

Haha, I do the same! Though I didn't even play around with that until after high school. I was put off completely from makeup in middle school (and why exactly do middle schoolers even need makeup??), after a rather upsetting girl scouts meeting. I had always been an outdoorsy type and this troop was super disappointing in that department, most of the girls preferred to sit around and gossip about boys. One day we had one of those Mary Kay ladies (sorry, I don't remember their real title) come to do a makeup tutorial with us, and it was my first time ever doing something like that. When we were done putting all the stuff on, one of the other girls turns to me and says "Wow, you actually look really pretty with makeup on."

It was the "actually" that helped me decide that I had zero fucks to give for any of them or for their makeup.

A few years later I got past the teenage angst phase, and decided that it could be fun to dress up from time to time. I learned you don't always have to spend an hour caking a mask on, but a little can go a long way for situations such as looking professional for an interview, dolling up for a party, etc. I'm just glad that despite that stupid comment I still grew up comfortable and confidant with my good ol' naked face!

• Like 1

[Currently training for the Hunger Games]

Captain's (Battle) Log • Challenge Log

I also don't wear make up every day. I used to when I was younger, especially in college. I was definitely wearing it as armor, but it made my face so greasy! I had to buy those oil absorbing papers and use them constantly (of course, this was prior to the whole Bare Minerals thing). Then I had kids and got a job where I have to be at work at 5 am and I decided that I am far too lazy to wake up early enough in the morning to do my hair and make up. I still do it when I am going somewhere or if I have a performance (I'm a bellydancer, so I have to wear it), but my husband is so used to my bare face, he hates when I get made up. I do wear mascara daily, only because I have light eyelashes.

• Like 1

I don't wear a lot of make up anymore either. I have freckles and I LOVE my freckles. I wear an oil-free sunscreen for my face, and my go-to make up is eyeshadow and mascara from Pacifica (vegan, and cruelty-free without all the extra junk of other makeup) Days when I want to feel a little dressier, I add eyeliner and tinted lip balm. Now my freckles are free to sing, and I'm not checking my face in the mirror all the time to make sure my face isn't sliding off during a hot summer day.

I love that other women here have described make up as armor. I definitely feel that sometimes when I put on make up and get dressed. I'm hoping as I get Fit as a Nerd, I'll feel like I'm strong enough and don't need to put on my Batwoman mask :)

• Like 1

I started this year with the goal of simplifying my beauty routine. 

I used to be the type of person that wore makeup daily. I wouldn't leave the house without it and it was definitely armor for me. 

Now I really limit makeup to a very basic natural look for work, and nights out. I own my own business and I look at makeup as a tool to help me present myself as a polished professional: the same as a man would trim his beard or pull out a power suit, I think it's worth it to put on a minimal amount of makeup in business settings. I use Bare Minerals foundation + MAC eyeshadow and I can do my entire makeup routine in about 5 minutes. For a night out I'll go a little more dramatic because it's fun. 

It is so freeing to be able to go out in the world without makeup on though. It felt so weird at first, but I slowly realized that nobody was really looking at me to critique my clothing/face at Costco (or anywhere else for that matter). 

• Like 1

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Respawn. | #1 | Current Challenge.

Man, all these responses are so inspiring.  There are definitely times I feel like I'm in the minority, but my sisters in clearly have my back! :D

• Like 3

I did a makeup fast a while back. I like the fun that you can have doing eye makeup. But when you feel you HAVE to wear it, it really becomes constraining. Now, I generally wear tinted moisturizer (actually I blend Aveno face moisturizer with SPF 30, and Aveno CC cream tinted fair), occasionally use a stick concealer under my eyes if I've been skimping on sleep, shimmer eyeshadow that makes me happy and mascara. I have really bright lip stick for occasions where I want pizzaz, but it's always been, for me, something fun.

But I HEAR you about the gym thing. Make up (and hair - let's be honest, I hate having to blow dry my hair) are two reasons I don't go to the gym on my lunch break. I need to sort our a reasonable alternative. 

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 10 | CON 7.5 | WIS 13 | CHA 12

Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
Battle Log

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot