Spring report!

Sunmage

Hey,

another 6 weeks are over! Congratulations!

You have successfully completed this challenge!

Yes the fact that you are reading this, were in the challenge for 6 weeks and now post a reply is already a success!

These six weeks were full of sweat and trouble. It is always a special time when spring comes and conquers our nature.

Everything turned green and vital and you finally can spend more time outside again.

Now its time for a report.

How do you feel?

What about your goals?

What else did you accomplish?

Do you feel more powerful or energetic?

Did your mood change?

What did you learn this challenge?

What are you going to do after this challenge?

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

From my challenge thread:

And another challenge is done. I had no strict goals foxed, but I reached my weekly tasks, so it is a succes.

I freaking graduated. And I started a real "adult" job. Awesome!

But the real adult paycheck vanished quite fast. need to do something about shopping when frustrated ;)

I gained some insights during this long weekend.

#1 is that I will join a crossfit gym again. While working out at home is cheap and effective im a lazy procrastinator who won't move his butt until its bedtime. Working out in the morning would work for me, but I do not want to get up even more earlier than with

#2 I need to do more for myself. I have a bunch of awesome excercises, especially meditation, energy work and eye training. But I always say I do it in 5 minutes.

So I will create a window of awesomeness that forces me to do something good every morning

#3 I need to put more emphasis on my stomach. I already started with cutting out gluten and feel much better. I will do that for the future, too. I will buy glutenfree bread tomorrow.

• Like 1

"
I am the storm."

How do you feel? I feel quite proud that I actually finished a challenge.

What about your goals? 2 goals started strong and kind of petered out as time went on, but I kept up with them best I could. The third started off with difficulty but really went over the top well the last two weeks. I am happy with my progress, wish it could be a little more, but satisfied nonetheless.

What else did you accomplish? I finished something.

Do you feel more powerful or energetic? I feel encouraged that I can continue to build on my goals.

Did your mood change? I had vast mood swings during this challenge, so yes. I wouldn't say it's settled down yet.

What did you learn this challenge? That I am capable of taking time to do things for myself and the world doesn't end.

What are you going to do after this challenge?

Level 2 Human Druid

3.375 STR / 1.375 DEX / 0 STA / 2 CON / 3.75 WIS / 1 CHA

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was within me an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly." - R. Buckminster Fuller

Introduction - Daily Battle Log - Challenges 1 - Current

COPYPASTAAAAA!!1 The following is from my thread:

HOLY SHIT. HOLY SHIT GUYS. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I'VE EVER DONE AN ACTUAL END-OF-CHALLENGE REPORT!

The goals were:

1.1 - Cut down on coffee: 91%
1.2 - Hydrate: 88%
1.3 - BIG-ASS SALAD: 70%
2.1 - Basic financial literacy: N/A (soon!)
2.2 - Number cruncher: 53%
3.1 - Five minutes of mindfulness: 42%
3.2 - Hand control: in the end, pass...FOR NOW!
3.3 - Epic fingernails: fucking WIN!

^ This thing that I wrote in the original post at the very beginning to recap my goals came in very handy to minimize report efforts. Copypasta ftw!

To elaborate...

1.1 - Cut down on coffee: 91%

I have never gotten a score above 90 ever during NF challenges. I also thought that coffee was my life blood. Problem moments were a) Saturdays, and B) early gym days where I have a coffee right when I wake up (helloooo, 5 AM!) and then want another one during breakfast after I'm done working out. It was a fail during the challenge, but now, a day after, I did the early workout thing and am having a decaf with breakfast.

NEW HABIT UNLOCKED! Or lack of an old habit? Having a lot less coffee will also save me a lot of money in the long-run, because I'm assuming that my workplaces will not always have on-tap coffee, and I no longer want to pay for it, especially since I now feel like I don't need it that much anymore.

1.2 - Hydrate: 88%

Totally a pass. Again, problems were Saturdays. I think I also failed this mostly when work was mad busy and I didn't have time to drink enough water at work.

New habit mostly unlocked, especially since I'm having less coffee--I need to be drinking something ;P

1.3 - BIG-ASS SALAD: 70%

New habit mostly unlocked here also. Weekends and traveling usually screwed me on this goal, however. There were also several times where I had a pile of vegetables instead of an actual salad, which I didn't count (if I had, the grade would have been 76%). Had it not been for the surgery, this would likely have been a lot higher.

I'll keep something like this goal around for the next challenge, mainly because I feel like the habit is almost here to stay, but enough slacking will break it. I don't want that to happen, especially since I need to heal and can't work out lol. Maybe the next one will involve all vegetables, or even *gasp* cooking.

2.1 - Basic financial literacy: N/A (soon!)

This course starts on June 1st. Will be too busy until then cramming for thesis defense. Knew this was coming ;P

2.2 - Number cruncher: 53%

Better than usual! Even though the grade for this isn't very good, I did start to develop one thing: not caring. It's like the math anxiety is slowly going away just because I forced myself to play Raindrops as much as possible. I need to continue doing this. NOT HAVING GRADE ANXIETY ALSO MAKES IT SO I CAN GET LESS-THAN-STELLAR GRADES ON SOME PARTS OF THIS CHALLENGE AND NOT FEEL LIKE SHIT, which is a big plus considering that I used to freak right on out whenever I didn't get 100% on a test. If I don't have this perfectionism and fear of failure bullshit holding me back when I do things, I should be able to go through life a lot more easily. Steve's articles on the NF blog also helped out with getting over the fear of failure, a lot.

This goal was going wonderfully until I left town for a few days, then I just...stopped. D'oh! Will likely keep it for the next round.

3.1 - Five minutes of mindfulness: 42%

Well...it was better than the last challenge? This will be staying for challenge 41. Again, I was doing okay with this

3.2 - Hand control: in the end, pass...FOR NOW!

I was doing terrible at this until the surgery. Then I wasn't able to raise my arms for a while and could not pick at my face. After that I still did not pick at my face (also because long fingernails makes face-picking a bit terrible). I totally want to keep going with this, because it's a terrible habit that I want to break.

Instead of picking, I generally just look at my fingernails now, and pick at them so they're clean. Double win.

I didn't do much of the Mudra/hand yoga stuff that I mentioned in the original post, but oh well. I can still do them next time. It'll be like hand control, lvl 2!

3.3 - Epic fingernails: fucking WIN!

Not a single one broke. I even had to trim them a few times because they were getting too long, and when they get too long they bend at the same spot all the time and end up breaking. I've even been told a few times that my nails looked terrifying.

Excellent B)

I should probably mention that I've been rocking the long-ish nails ever since I was like 8 so I have ample practice, but still. The other thing to keep in mind is that I mainly want epic fingernails because 1) well, epic fingernails, and 2) so I can have a more legit Balem Abrasax cosplay. Character-wise, Balem dislikes effort and is rather useless at things like fighting and physical tasks, hence why he can have the long fingernails and not break them--he never does anything. Balem also has like 50,000+ years of life experience, compared to my 32. So I managed to also get epic fingernails while I still doing things like lifting barbells, handling 45lb plates, and doing workouts and stuff, all without breaking any nails.  Expectations exceeded!

This makes me wonder, though: how the fuck does he maintain shredded abs if he doesn't do shit? Whatever technology or genetic manipulation it is, I want it.

Wow. What a challenge.

I faced a series of monumental battles early on in the challenge, took a whole new approach and laid the battle field out flat. It was epic.

I leveled up on everything, as well as discovering and implementing Whole30, quitting drinking, and quitting smoking by the end of the challenge.

It's a bright and shiny world.

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | Year 9: 

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Good Lord!  The threads for the next challenge are already up and I haven't even posted my current challenge wrap up! 

FINAL GRADE = B

But here's, the thing.  The grade is a "B" based on the spreadsheet numbers, however, in my mind - I would probably give myself a "C-" because I did minimal to attain the "B" grade.  I had a total of 21 points for exercise, however I don't really think that I challenged myself in any way that would justify a "B" grade, thus why I dislike any grading system.  When I use a grading system, I only do what is barely required to get that shiny, pretty grade at the end, but throughout the six weeks, I'm not really doing anything outstanding.  Minimum efforts yield minimum results.

Some things I've learned:

1 - Weekends are my nemesis as far as food goes.  I do GREAT Monday - Friday, and then all hell breaks loose.  The reason, I've discovered, is because I don't have any kind of schedule on non-work days, so I don't remember to eat until it's too late and then feel the need to eat all the food NOW!  I must make sure to have healthy foods planned and prepped on Saturdays and Sundays as well as the work week.

2 - I have an all or nothing mindset when it comes to exercise.  I feel that if I'm not going to run all the miles or do all the lunges, then working out isn't worth it.  That's just stupid.  Even if I take a nice relaxed walk, it's so much better than napping on the couch.

3 - I want to look good naked, and eating doughnuts on the weekend isn't helping.  Seriously, LittleTurtle, calories still count on the frickin' weekends, so stop with the bullshit!

4 - My stats from the beginning of the year are almost identical to now.  That's just sad.  Six months of challenges and no improvement.  On the plus side, I've maintained, so I guess that's something!  :frog:

Until next time, my friends!

• Like 1
Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

Maintenance can be demoralizing, but think of the great foundation you have for when you ramp it up a notch!

No donuts, even on weekends, and a little more exercise will yield some nice results when built on this foundation.

(If I can give up cigarettes and alcohol, you can take up walking, right?)

• Like 1

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | Year 9: 

Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

I actually finished a six week challenge! - never done that before. And it feels pretty great. Technically I think it's an achievement all by itself. And I like achievements, aka DID IT! :)

Shamelessly copy/pasting from my challenge thread.

Reviewing the past 6 weeks: the hard

• Not renewing my monthly public transportation card was a good wallet choice, but not a good choice as in the sense of getting things done that is not at home. Meaning that the goals of  print making (Underground) and schoolwork (University) suffered more than it should have because of bad weather and laziness. When it takes at least forty minutes of walking (in the rain) to get somewhere, and I don't have to do it, I simply stay put and dry instead of going outside. 
  • Being social = getting glutened. Need to find a way of making this not true.
  • I simply do not practice [anything] in front of others, preferably not even in hearing distance of others. This used to be a huge problem back in the day when I was studying music, and I hated knowing that everyone could hear all my mistakes. On the other hand I knew I was being silly, that it was a part of a pattern [social anxiety and being a perfectionist] and did not matter much. So I simply made myself play, and as a result was on the constant brink of a panic attack. These days however it simply manifests that there simply is no time for ukulele playing nor unicycling on weekends, because boyfriend's home. And May has a lot of holidays as well... So I guess I practiced over all like every other day or something, on average.
  • The week everything fell apart. It lead to a lot of diversion tactics, aka ways of coping with overwhelming pain and heartbreak. Ways of running away from myself, and still managing to somehow stay present. Staying present at running away, and noticing when I went all into my stuffs and started taking care of everyone but myself. I didn't manage to stop myself from doing so, but at least I recognized what was going on. So much pain, and perceptions of never ever being good enough, and never becoming good enough. Even though I know this is not the whole truth.
    I am still recovering.

Reviewing the past 6 weeks: the awesome 

• I am not afraid of my unicycle anymore!
  • I DID make some prints! AND some really good pictures that I am looking forward to printing.
  • Even though I kinda doubt I can pull it off right now (just got the flu :'( ) flash prep was conquered by the end of week three. At least on a good day...  :)
  • The ukulele loves me, and perhaps I will be playing publicly at one point.
  • I can haz friends and birthday parties! Need to remind myself of this more often.
  • Leveled up my cake-making skills twice! 
  • I have a coffee grinder! As I am living in Norway's coffee capital one might say it was about time.
  • I do love Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. Possibly because I am Ravenclaw, can't help it.
  • Smaug!  :D - and he's the cutest thing ever.
  • Finally I do know for sure I've watched all of Star Wars. Achievement unlocked. 
  • My good vs. bad day ratio has finally tipped in the right direction. Even though I sometimes doubt it, I do have more "good" than "bad" days now (whatever people might put into these labels vary) and there is a fair chance that will actually translate into getting more things done. Eventually. I just need to remember that "little by little one travels far" more often, which is one of the reasons I am here at NF.

How much sparkle?

*drumroll*

251 sparkle points collected!

:D  :D  :D

I am already planning what's next. Yays!

• Like 1

From the North, I am. Grammar applys here not.

Forest Elven Lightstalker Lv. 3

“Little by little, one travels farâ€.― J.R.R. Tolkien.

42%
42%

% of Available Sparklepoints Collected, Current Challenge

<p>

Congratulations!

This looks very good.

You are right, finishing and feeling better on a greater part of the time is everything that counts!

Hope to see you next time ;)

"
I am the storm."

Challenge Summary

1. Healthy Eating

Only succeeded on point 3, where I bought 2 extra packets of sweets.

In total I have lost 6 lbs since I started weighing myself postpartum, which is also Snowdrop's birth weight!

2. Physio Exercises

Have been regularly doing a number of exercises on my fat yoga mat.

3. Self Care

Various factors have interfered but I am happy with progress overall, even though tooth brushing is the only one I have stuck at.

4. Past, present, future

Made progress on a number of these, plus I started learning to drive, which is going well.

What with everything I am going through at the moment I think I accomplished quite a bit this challenge. 

• Like 1

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Good work Eirlys!

• Like 1

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Another challenge essentially bombed...

Mission 1 : study math or programming

I scrapped it early on because it wasn't happening and the stress of failing it was making me avoid it more.

I did, learn how to install a linux OS and how to write/run a java program (hello world), so a few mini baby steps were taken.

Mission 2 : go to bed on time

Out of the 12 times I was shooting for, I managed a whopping 3. I still won't make this a priorety. I must be addicted to staying up too late.

I noticed a major difference in my morning productiveness when well rested.

Mission 3 : set 4 goals at night for the next day

I like how this goal went. I wouldn't say it was wildly successful, there were good and bad weeks, but it gave me a small sence of control in my life, something that I have been missing.

Mission 4 : meditate

I never did it before, and mostly this ended up as a great pre-nap relaxation, but despite that, I now can see the benefits. When I was consistent, I had a less negative inner self.

Next challenge:

I will be organized/premeditative in my goal tracking.

I will bring back my mini goals in some capacity.

And I think more gifs, gifs are fun

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself