So, here is my thread for work between challenges. I'll keep track of any exercises and other work I do between challenges, and ruminate on ideas for the next challenge.

So far, I know I'm going to include financial health in the next challenge. Some of the things I'm already doing - limiting how often I buy coffee, taking breakfast bars with me when I'm on the run, etc. But the big thing I'm going to do is try to figure out which bills fall into which pay period, and figure out from there how much free money I have each pay period. And, to keep track of that, I'll use either play money or actual cash to track the free money - when it's out, I have no more. The end. Another thing I'm going to do is track my food every day, but give myself  6 passes. If I say I only need to track 4 days/week, I'll only do that, but I also don't want to set myself up to feel shitty if I go to a party or something. 6 passes is one pass per week, and I don't have to use them every week (because what if I have two parties in a week - I don't want to use them foolishly).

The next thing I need to do is figure out why I'm not losing weight. I had even higher fitness goals this time and I didn't lose any weight. I maintained, but no weight-loss. I even focused more on eating healthier, which I neglected last challenge. I'm bummed and a little frustrated. But there has to be something I'm missing if I'm not losing weight and working so hard.

A couple of things I'm thinking of - one is to cut down alcohol. I like having a glass or two a few nights a week, but those are empty calories. Another is to cut out snacking altogether, but that will be really tough. I get hungry between meals, and if I don't keep something around, I'm afraid I'll eat candy or end up bingeing. And lastly, I may use a calorie tracking app. I really, really don't want to do this. I have a  very unhealthy emotional relationship with food, and calorie tracking brings up a whole lot of my hangups. So... I'm wavering on that. It might be the only realistic way to get a handle on what I need to do to see some progress.

Finally, I'm toying of the idea with trying to use a theme for future challenges. I was thinking of using Tarot, and focusing on Pentacles/Coins for next challenge (perfect for finances and Earth, which is strength, stability, etc.). I thought of this once before, and then I had a nice title for next challenge that had nothing to do with Tarot, but I've forgotten it. So I'm back to Tarot. We'll see. (Yes, Chris, this is thanks to you.)

Forgot to mention - did my 1 hour belly dance video today. The stuff that was super difficult last time was much easier this time. I'll get those moves down!

• Like 1

- Sarah

"I am the beauty of the green earth and the white moon among the stars."

My Epic Quests:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/143011

Sarah, sounds like you have great plans for your next challenge. I'm feeling with you on the financial goals, that's why I was working with a financial goal last challenge. As for the weight loss, it could be that with the belly dancing and other activities you've been doing you are adding more definition. I know seeing the weight numbers not moving is frustrating but I know that it will improve over time.

I do like the idea of a theme :) At least for me, I'm thinking that using a theme will put me in a better mental structure to keep me focused on my goals. 

Awesome outcome with the belly dancing tonight!! The more we do the easier it should get. Glad to be seeing your progress!!

• Like 1

I think a theme will be fun, but I'm afraid it will take over time I should be spending actually doing the challenge; I'll keep it simple this time around. Though, I think I might do a 3 card reading every day to see what the day holds, and keep with the theme. Of course, I'll have to get up earlier to do that, so I'm not entirely sure I can commit to doing that every day. Anyway, I can get lost in a creative project very easily, and I don't want all my exercise time, or free time, going to writing *about* my exercise goals. For instance, I was updating a handbook for the Festival I volunteer for, and suddenly it was 7:30. So I did the half hour strenuous belly dance video. I tweaked my hip so I ended up having to take it kind of slowly. I have a night meeting tomorrow, so I'll have to take a day off anyway. Hopefully, it will give my hip time to recover.

So, I was thinking more about what I need to do to reach my weight-loss goal. I do think I've been snacking too much. I know that if I do not snack in the afternoon, I have the tendency to stop and buy some sort of drive-thru because I'm too hungry to make it home (or so I tell myself). So, I will restrict myself to only snacking then, and not also in the morning, which I tend to do. It's not necessary. Also, my sister suggested that maybe I should take measurements so I can see when I'm losing inches, even if I'm not losing weight. I think I'm going to try that, though I'm a bit reluctant. Still, if I'm making progress, I'd like to see that.

Oh, and as for my upper GI, the doctor said I didn't have to have it since I couldn't feel the obstruction anymore. That was good.

I'll get my meditation in tonight, too.

• Like 1

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

Ok, more thinking done. I may be eating too many carbs. I realized that most of my meals do have carbs, or are heavy in carbs because frozen meals are often pasta. So, I'm going to try and work on that. I did that some this shopping trip - skipped frozen fried fish for grilled or scampi. And next time I'll look for grilled chicken tenders. I also got some more variety because I'm starting to get bored and that makes me want to do a lot of snacking. And I may have to go ahead and do some calorie counting program because I discovered that some of the organic meals I like are higher calorie than I thought. Plus, it would be good to know what calorie intake I should be at. I'll have to talk to my doctor about that, I think.

As for my financial goals, I think what I'm going to have to do is take time each pay period and plan my bills and figure out what my free money is each pay period. Because I don't think doing it monthly will give me as accurate of a look.

5/28 - Did my walk with Kurai today.

Took my first stab at the financial goals. With my expected expenses for this pay period, I have $120 of free money. Knowing that will allow me to keep track of it.

• Like 2

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

5/29 - Did an hour of belly dancing.

I am debating whether or not I should focus on the belly dancing and (mostly) skip walking and weight training. Because, AC. I live in Florida, and it is hot. I might be more likely to do my exercises if I can do it inside; even though this wasn't a huge struggle last challenge, I did vacillate many days on whether I'd do them or not. Maybe this will help cut down on that internal struggle.

Anyway, for food stuff, I did blood work today so I'm sure I'll see my PCP next week, and I can talk about proper calorie goals. I'll have to find an app for my computer or phone to track it. So, although I've been reluctant about doing it, I really think it is the only way I can be sure that I am eating as healthfully as I think I am. If I discover I am eating right and don't need to change anything, I can always drop it. But I want to be sure. Also, I am terrified of needles and my veins are always collapsing and rolling and being difficult; today, though, the tech did it in one stick, completely painless! That rarely happens. The pain isn't what gets me, though. The longer the needle is in, the more I panic. Definitely did my meditation to keep myself calm through that.

As for tarot, I think I won't do a daily tarot, but a weekly tarot reading. I've always thought daily readings are too much - how much can really change in one day? I think that unless the point is to actually really study the tarot (like finding patterns over time, lessons that you need to learn), it won't do much good. And that's not my purpose here. I think it will tie in with my theme, and it can certainly help me with my goals - knowing what obstacles I may run into.

• Like 1

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

5/31 - Did my hour of belly dancing. Yesterday and today I started cutting down on carbs by skipping the burrito and having just scrambled eggs. I kind of blew it in the evening though since I have pretzels in the house from making Chex Mix. I will not do that tonight, though. I also discovered that coloring is my anti-snack. I colored for hours yesterday and did not snack when I was coloring. It was fun.

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

6/1 - I'm counting this as prep for the new challenge - sorted 2 years' worth of paperwork and reduced it down to a single box (from an overflowing 2-drawer filing cabinet). Out with old financial bad habits, and in with a more organized life. :)

• Like 2

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

6/3 - Went for my walk and destroyed my phone with boob sweat. Yep, really. Have a new phone, and tablet because of a deal Verizon is offering. I shouldn't have done it - I don't really have the money to spend, but I will get it back with a rebate (though it won't show up before next paycheck). However, I may be able to get work to pay for the additional service since we were just saying we needed a tablet. We'll see.

- Sarah

My Epic Quests:

6/6 - Work has decided not to use the tablet I bought. I thought about it, and I'll be taking it back today. The tablet itself works out to being free (with rebate), but I really don't need the monthly added cost for the service. In Florida, you have 3 days to retract an agreement (on a contract), so I should be able to do it without penalty.

- Sarah

My Epic Quests: