The Great Hall: General Chatter

I could use a hug and a kick up my backside. You guys are all so awesome.

Here you go

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

(Can you tell what movie I went to see last night?)

• Like 5

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Less than two weeks left for this challenge, folks!

Just keep the end in sight and we can slog on through this last handful of days together, and we're on to to better and brighter things next challenge.

*think motivation thoughts!*

• Like 4

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Well... I'm out for the moment. 

A week ago, my left hip started popping to a pain level of 8/10.  It's been tense and sitting at a 2-6/10 since then with occasional popping despite stretches, massage, rolling, etc.  I have an appt with the doctor later. I'm thinking I need a physio, this problem has been building up since January.

Continuing with eating at a deficit... actually lost a pound while taking it easy.  I'm not sure what else to do.  Planks involve the hamstring and pullups still involve it for posture.  I'm hoping the doc has some advice.

It just might be a good time to take a break and work on maintaining. I have now reached my old maintenence weight before I blew up (nursing school). I am 187 lbs.  I want to lose 20 more pounds, but that can wait until my muscular problems resolve... (chronic cramping in calves, plantar fasciitis, tight piriformis, hip popping)  I hate this, but running has to take a back seat for a bit. I think I was overtraining?

Bonk.

Level 9 Tiefling Ranger/Scout

STR 9 DEX 16 CON 15 INT 10 WIS 13

Current challenge

Mordor: Hobbiton -> Rivendell (238/458 miles)

Water advice  Join the Circus!

Heyyy! Thanks for popping in :D I love the Angry Bird Workout, it's actually how I got started, too! I moved up to the Beginner Body Weight Workout once I felt kind of like I hit my max/gotten kinda bored with the Angry Birds, have you looked at that?

Two thumbs up right back at you for getting going with strength training!

Hey, guys, thanks for all the advice. Exactly why I decided to post something. So I was thinking that maybe mixing up my workout would be helpful, but I also have this chronic habit of starting a workout plan and abandoning it after about a month. I read somewhere that it's more efficient to find what works and stick with it than constantly be jumping around with workout plans. So what's the prevailing theory around here? Pick something and stick or go where the spirit leads?

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf

Hey, guys, thanks for all the advice. Exactly why I decided to post something. So I was thinking that maybe mixing up my workout would be helpful, but I also have this chronic habit of starting a workout plan and abandoning it after about a month. I read somewhere that it's more efficient to find what works and stick with it than constantly be jumping around with workout plans. So what's the prevailing theory around here? Pick something and stick or go where the spirit leads?

The thing about a lot of these work outs is that they are very similar. If you need a format change to boost your motivation that's fine. It's really about sticking with the working out (and type of working out like hiit vs strength vs ... Whatever else there is) less about sticking with a specific workout itself. Not that you can't do different types of working out but that when you're starting out its best to keep it simple I think is the point.

Sent by TARDIS delivery service. Apologies for typos caused by interactions with the time vortex.

Different things work for different people for sure. The 6-week challenge format works kind of well (for me)...you can try something for 6 weeks, then decide to keep it, up the intensity, modify it, ditch it...whatever, the next time around. It's not so much completely abandoning the old plan, but looking back, re-assessing and evaluating (we do tend to be pretty nerdy around here)

6 weeks can be kind of long for something totally new that you might not like. I often use the "bye weeks" (1-2 week periods between challenges) to try completely new things before committing to them for longer.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

^Yeah I think I need some of that too.

I could use a hug and a kick up my backside. You guys are all so awesome.

e60ab4275b91a20e33368d97aaf682d7.jpg

What's going on guys? If the problems aren't too serious, do a few burpees, lift something heavy, or do some gentle stretching. You'll feel better. Take a nice long shower, get to bed early, make yourself a nice breakfast in the morning and wear something that makes you feel your most fabulous. Tomorrow will be better.

• Like 5

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Different things work for different people for sure. The 6-week challenge format works kind of well (for me)...you can try something for 6 weeks, then decide to keep it, up the intensity, modify it, ditch it...whatever, the next time around. It's not so much completely abandoning the old plan, but looking back, re-assessing and evaluating (we do tend to be pretty nerdy around here)

6 weeks can be kind of long for something totally new that you might not like. I often use the "bye weeks" (1-2 week periods between challenges) to try completely new things before committing to them for longer.

The posters previous to me have the right idea of it, I think.  Don't worry so much about what sort or workout you're committed to so much as commit to some kind of workout.  Sticking to a particular program obviously means you'll start to reap whichever gains and benefits that program promises, but otherwise activity should be celebrated for activity's sake!  To elaborate, if you're looking to get stronger... stick to a strength program.  If you want to build up your body weight exercises... focus on those, right?

As an aside, I have to echo Xena.  These 6 week challenges are a thing of beauty.  I've tried many different tricks, plans, and nutrition tweaks now, each more or less with the passing of a new challenge.  I like to treat them as RPG quests and work on new traits for my life as if I were a character in a video game, but they're also an excellent time to try out new things with regards to your healthy living plans.  If you aren't committed to a particular workout style, try a new one every challenge until you get a feeling for whatever it is that you are passionate about... and then do that thing for as long as you enjoy it!

• Like 2

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Well... I'm out for the moment. 

A week ago, my left hip started popping to a pain level of 8/10.  It's been tense and sitting at a 2-6/10 since then with occasional popping despite stretches, massage, rolling, etc.  I have an appt with the doctor later. I'm thinking I need a physio, this problem has been building up since January.

Continuing with eating at a deficit... actually lost a pound while taking it easy.  I'm not sure what else to do.  Planks involve the hamstring and pullups still involve it for posture.  I'm hoping the doc has some advice.

It just might be a good time to take a break and work on maintaining. I have now reached my old maintenence weight before I blew up (nursing school). I am 187 lbs.  I want to lose 20 more pounds, but that can wait until my muscular problems resolve... (chronic cramping in calves, plantar fasciitis, tight piriformis, hip popping)  I hate this, but running has to take a back seat for a bit. I think I was overtraining?

Bonk.

Absolutely gotta take care of your health first.  Hope the doctor has good news and a plan for you to get back in the game.

• Like 1

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Old Challenges: #1(2015) * #2 * #3(push ups) * #4 * #5(food) * #6 * #7(2016)* #8(nerdiversary) * #9 * 10(animal) * Battle Log * 11(2017) * 12(garden) * 13 * 14(biking) * 15 * 16  * 17  * 18 * 19(2018) * 20(2019) * 21

one-week-left.jpg?w=360&h=212

Coincidentally One Week is also one of my favorite movies of all time.  Joshua Jackson is diagnosed with cancer and left contemplating the nature of life, so he purchases an old Triumph motorcycle and takes off on a journey of discovery across Canada.  Definitely a good flick if you're in for a journey of introspection!

• Like 1

Allow me an early celebration, it's almost my 1 year NF Anniversary

Have you seen big results since you started?

STYLAX

Pokémon Trainer Lv0

Link

< STR:            1               |               CHA:           0 >

< STA:            1               |               WIS:            0 >

< CON:           2               |                DEX:           1 >

Depends on how you define "big" results. I can definately say I look, feel and perform better.

- I've lost about 10-15kg. That includes fat loss and muscle gain, so it's more progress than numbers would suggest

- I'd never tried Jumping Rope before. By now I can do Double Unders (two skips in a single jump)

- I'd never ever managed a single Pull up. Last Friday I pushed my PR to 7 unbroken Pull Ups

- Check out the 7 minute burpee AMRAP PvP. On April I scored 67, yesterday I did it and increased my score to 70

- Signed up for my first 5k run and completed it. This September I'm doing my first OCR

- I've switched from the classic gym to Crossfit, which feels fun in comparison and therefore effortless to stick with

- I've formed habits that make proper nutrition and resisting the bad stuff require zero brain- and will-power

- I've tried new stuff like tricking and meditation, the latter transforming me internally

Plus a lot of other great things like inspiring people to do great things and conquering some of my life issues using the 20 seconds of bezerker mode, but those wouldn't classify strictly as "results". And all of that wouldn't have happened without support by some of the greatest people I've ever met.

FOR THE REBELLION!

rebel_sml.jpg

• Like 8

Lvl 58 Multitasker

Depends on how you define "big" results. I can definately say I look, feel and perform better.

- I've lost about 10-15kg. That includes fat loss and muscle gain, so it's more progress than numbers would suggest

- I'd never tried Jumping Rope before. By now I can do Double Unders (two skips in a single jump)

- I'd never ever managed a single Pull up. Last Friday I pushed my PR to 7 unbroken Pull Ups

- Check out the 7 minute burpee AMRAP PvP. On April I scored 67, yesterday I did it and increased my score to 70

- Signed up for my first 5k run and completed it. This September I'm doing my first OCR

- I've switched from the classic gym to Crossfit, which feels fun in comparison and therefore effortless to stick with

- I've formed habits that make proper nutrition and resisting the bad stuff require zero brain- and will-power

- I've tried new stuff like tricking and meditation, the latter transforming me internally

Plus a lot of other great things like inspiring people to do great things and conquering some of my life issues using the 20 seconds of bezerker mode, but those wouldn't classify strictly as "results". And all of that wouldn't have happened without support by some of the greatest people I've ever met.

FOR THE REBELLION!

Dang. I need to borrow from your list! Awesome stuff!

• Like 1

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

ALMOST THERE RANGERS!

The end is in sight!!

I hope everyone's still chugging along.  I almost fell off my wagon mid-week but I just kept holding on... bumpy ride... auuugghh.... ok, phew, now I'm good. :)

tumblr_n0e4nhonzk1tn18ozo1_500.png

• Like 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

I've got all of my ducks in a row for the rest of the week.  Everything that needs to be done is done, so long as I don't completely tumble off the wagon this challenge will end as a (more or less) resounding success.

Hoping the challenge forum gets set up for the next one right quick though!  I've already started incorporating some of my quests into daily life, so there won't be a major transition here.

• Like 1

I've got all of my ducks in a row for the rest of the week.  Everything that needs to be done is done, so long as I don't completely tumble off the wagon this challenge will end as a (more or less) resounding success.

Hoping the challenge forum gets set up for the next one right quick though!  I've already started incorporating some of my quests into daily life, so there won't be a major transition here.

I too have this week pretty much tied up!  Almost complete!!

I've got my theme and goals written up for my next challenge, just needs some final tweaking like adding stat points (and of course, appropriate GIFs) and I'll be good to go... muahahaha.....!!!!  

Excited to see what everyone comes up with!!

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

So after that Rangers versus the World 7-min burpee AMRAP PVP we just had, I was thinking we need to host more regular PVP challenges to get people engaged and involved.

What would the interest be in, say, HSPU, box jump for height, double-unders, etc, PVPs?  Just for fun sort of thing.  The challenges could be AMRAP or '4 weeks to your goal' format, depending on everyone's preference.

• Like 1

Eek! I can't believe 

A.) there's one week until the next challenge, and

B.) the entire challenge will cover my last two and a half weeks in Japan, and the three and a half weeks of road trip/traveling to see everyone back in the states before we "settle". (Kyoto, Osaka, Sacramento, Yosemite, Los Angeles, Sacramento again, Portland, Spokane, and finally down to Boise)

So I'll need to set up a more flexible plan than I've done so far. Has anyone done a "consistently travelling/on the road for several weeks" challenge? How did you combine accountability with flexibility?

giphy.gif

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

The very beginning of the next challenge will likely fall somewhere around my trip to the UK.  So I'm sure that'll be a wee bit a struggle.

Might have to factor that into my next challenge... I'm already looking for CrossFit gyms in London and Edinburgh so I'm not away from my crack cocaine gym for too long.

• Like 2