• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DarK_RaideR

The Campfire | Recipes for Ranger delicacies!

OKAY Here is the Turkey Sweet Potato Hash:

Serves 6-8

24oz lean ground turkey

2 T garlic powder

2 T crushed red pepper flake

1 T Thyme

1 T sage

1 C chicken stock

Salt and Pepper to taste

8oz diced apple

15oz sweet potato

6oz diced onion

Cook turkey with spices until browned but not finished - set aside. Add onion and sweet potato to the pan with chicken stock and cover to sweat until sweet potatoes soften. Add the turkey back to the pan and finish cooking through. Add the apple in the last 2-3 minutes (just so it warms but doesn't lose it's crispness). Enjoy!

Okay, I finally got around to making this recipe today. I used spicy sausage instead, though. And I also used excess vegetable broth from my ratatouille. And HOLY MOLY THIS IS SO GOOD! Sweating the potatoes takes longer than I expected, but man, is it worth it. Mmmmm yum. Thank you, therealkat!!!

• Like 1

Made this super simple tinfoil salmon last night.

So, take a salmon filet.  Put it on some tin foil.  Bit of EVOO, salt and pepper.  In a bowl, mix together some chopped tomato, chopped shallot, small splash of EVOO, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, and/or whatever else.  Dump it upon the salmon.  Fold up the tinfoil into a neat little parcel, tight on all sides to ensure whatever it is this method is supposed to ensure.   :tongue:

Bake at 400 for 25 minutes.  Unfold.  Devour.

Simple as can be.

tinfoil%20salmon_zpst7hrayxa.jpg

• Like 6

OKAY Here is the Turkey Sweet Potato Hash:

Serves 6-8

24oz lean ground turkey

2 T garlic powder

2 T crushed red pepper flake

1 T Thyme

1 T sage

1 C chicken stock

Salt and Pepper to taste

8oz diced apple

15oz sweet potato

6oz diced onion

Cook turkey with spices until browned but not finished - set aside. Add onion and sweet potato to the pan with chicken stock and cover to sweat until sweet potatoes soften. Add the turkey back to the pan and finish cooking through. Add the apple in the last 2-3 minutes (just so it warms but doesn't lose it's crispness). Enjoy!

Finally got a chance to throw this together for the family.  Used a 24oz Turkey breast though, cut into 1x1 cubes.  The wife, who normally hates sweet potato, loved it.  The daughters, who are generally wary when I cook new recipes, asked for seconds, which is NOT something they normally do when there fresh berries from the garden to be had for dessert.

All the leftovers were gone by the next day at lunch.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Quoted from my challenge thread

As far as liver is concerned, I usually just grill it plain on a non sticky skillet/pan. Last night I fried it in a spoonful of olive oil, can't say I was excited with the outcome. If you find the taste too bitter, try finishing it off with a bit of wine. Also, here's a handy dandy yummy recipe from my home isle you should totally try out. It's made with pork liver, probably because the place is too rocky to support cow herding, but I suppose you could give it a try using other animal livers as well. It's the technique that matters

Ingredients

1 (pork) liver. Lungs and other similar internal organs are optional

1 cup of all purpose flour

Salt

Olive Oil

Rosemary

A splash of vinegar

Execution

Spread the flour on a sheet of cooking paper or a plate. Cut the meat in chunks about as big as a tangerine. Wash it, sprinkle with salt, tap it around on the flour for a light coating (doesn't have to completely coat the entire piece) and immediately fry in plenty of olive oil. Only wash/salt the liver immediately before cooking it, as otherwise it will become stiff and hard. Temperature has to remain high, so don't flood the pan with meat because it will result in a sudden temperature drop. Turn around for even cooking but be careful not to overcook. Store cooked pieces on a non-plastic platter. Once all the meat is cooked, add rosemary and vinegar to the remaining oil, stir for about a minute and pour it over the liver.

Turkey Sweet Potato Hash

I tried the turkey sweet potato hash for dinner, and didn't quite love it.  But it was AMAZING for lunch the next day.  Definitely a keeper.

Thought I'd share another sweet potato recipe I've been digging lately.  This one is vegetarian (but I add BACON and think that makes it even better :playful: ).  I imagine it would work without the tortilla for less carbs, too.  It's the spicing up of the sweet potatoes that I like best.

BLACK BEAN & SWEET POTATO BURRITOS
Serves: 4-6

INGREDIENTS
1 large yam or sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 small or ½ large onion, cut into a large dice
2 Tbsp taco seasoning (about ½ a commercial packet)
olive oil
1 (14.5oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 Tbsp minced cilantro (optional)
10" Tortillas
Favorite toppings: lettuce, tomato, lime wedges, salsa, sour cream, cheese etc. for serving.

INSTRUCTIONS
In a medium bowl, toss sweet potato, onion, taco seasoning and about 2 Tbsp olive oil. Stir to coat well. Spread mixture out on a large baking sheet.
Roast at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring half-way through the cook time, and adding more olive oil if necessary.
Toss black beans and cilantro with roasted vegetables and scoop into tortillas with favorite toppings. Roll to seal burritos and grill if desired.

swpotburro4.jpg

Full step-by-step instructions can be found here:  http://www.onelovelylife.com/black-bean-sweet-potato-burritos/

• Like 1

Breakfasts?  Call out for recipes.

Tired of protein shake, apple and hardboiled egg.

Any recipes are appreciated.  Super fast.  Plan-ahead.  Mass production for a weeks worth of morning rations.

Anything.

Thanks.

Rahk

My batch cooking always includes omelette for the week's breakfast, either eggs+potato or eggs+sausage, depending on the macros. Milk or yoghurt is another decent option. Might throw in a banana in the mix if I'm still low on the carb end

022.jpg

Omelet muffins.  Add eggs and any fixings you want into a muffin pan and bake.

Other favorites around here are oatmeal with peanut butter, pork chops with an egg cracked over them, and canned herring over a bed of fried vegetables.

• Like 1

In today's edition of Cooking with Rurik, allow me present the newest culinary masterpiece in my repertoire...

5-ready-to-bake.jpg

Which became this...

Baked-Greek-Chicken.jpg

Except I used chicken breasts rather than drumsticks, and packed them quite a bit tighter in a smaller dish to maximize the distribution of sauce.

1 kg chicken breasts

3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt

2 tbsp Greek seasoning

2 tbsp garlic powder

2 tbsp lemon juice

1 tbsp olive oil

Mix ingredients in a Ziploc bag.  Slice chicken shallowly, allow seasoning to marinate.  Bake for approximately 45 minutes.

• Like 8

Question about the egg muffins - mine seem to be always soggy and . . . "poached-y" on the bottom, not at all the nice golden I see in all your pics. Do you grease the pan, or use silicone cups, or some other way? I love eggs, and I love the idea of the muffins, but only the "muffin tops" of mine are edible.

Here's some Soggy Bottom Boys as a pre-Thank You"

Let me think this through...

Quickly grease the muffin tray.  Scramble my eggs and veggies/meat in a bowl, pour into tray.  Bake.  I'm pretty sure that's all I do, and I've never had them 'soggy.'  Maybe you didn't cook them long enough maybe?

I tend to follow the philosophy that anything can be overcooked safely, and is therefore delicious!

• Like 1

Breakfasts?  Call out for recipes.

Tired of protein shake, apple and hardboiled egg.

Any recipes are appreciated.  Super fast.  Plan-ahead.  Mass production for a weeks worth of morning rations.

Anything.

Thanks.

Rahk

I use one of these:

5648.zoom.a.jpg   11196280_1439624102999793_18826037755074   20593_1462800990682104_56700214306257717

35 seconds in my microwave and it's ready for to be an egg sandwich or breakfast burrito. If I'm truly in a hurry, I'll sling a spoonful of salsa on top and eat it straight from the container. I can make breakfast for both myself and my husband in under 5 minutes with this thing: by the time the toast is done for two sandwiches, two eggs have been in and cooked, and I've already applied the mayo/ketchup to the bread. For especially tasty eggs, I do this before I cook them:

11701038_1466071207021749_53591956503504

As you can see, I break the yolk first to keep it from exploding.

I suppose you could use it to mass-produce breakfast sandwiches, but you'd probably save more time doing the egg-in-muffin-tin thing. Still, this little gadget is great for a quick "holy shiznit, I have 10 minutes to be out the door and I still haven't eaten breakfast yet" meal.

• Like 2

As you can see, I break the yolk first to keep it from exploding.

I will never forget the time one of my aspiring-healthy-eater coworkers attempted to hard-boil an egg in the microwave without enough water.

The look on his face when the egg went off like a hand grenade... priceless!

• Like 3

i like to follow the food threads. i like food!

as a price for allowing this warrior to share in the food noms, i give you my egg casserole recipe that i make every sunday for weekday breakfast!

egg%20casserole.png

Ingredients:

• Around 1 lb of meat, use whatever meat you have on hand. I've used kielbasa, ground beef, bacon, ham, sausage, ground pork, ground turkey, etc. Turkey bacon did not taste good in the casserole. This recipe makes 8 small servings so use as much meat as you think you need for 8 servings. Remember there will also be lots of egg happening so you don’t need as much meat as you would for a regular meal
  • 8-9 whole eggs (large)
  • 1 cup egg whites (from the carton) - you can do 10 or 11 whole eggs here if you want. Using the egg whites cuts down on fat.
  • A ½ bag of frozen broccoli; I've used fresh spinach, frozen spinach, fresh green peppers, and other frozen veggies. Use whatever you like/have!
  • 1 onion
  • 1 tbsp of minced garlic - I use it from the jar. You can use more or less depending on your love of garlic.
  • 1/3 cup milk variation - I use almond milk, use whatever milk you have
  • Salt, pepper, or some sort of spice blend - We love Mrs. Dash salt free table blend but it's expensive.

Recipe:

• Preheat oven to 350F
  • When I use real pork bacon, I bake the bacon in the oven first. I line a baking sheet with foil (fold up corner to save grease for later stovetop cooking, mmmm) and lay all the bacon onto the sheet, it's okay if they're smushed. I think I baked it at 400F for 20 or so minutes.
  • If you are using hot dogs or kielbasa (any pre-cooked meat) then chop it up. Smaller pieces help distribute it more evenly in the casserole dish.
  • Put a skillet (that will fit onions and meat) on the burner with some grease (any oil, pam spray, whatever) and put onto medium heat.
  • Chop onion. If you are using a precooked meat, then put the onion and garlic on the pan first. If you are using raw meat (ground beef, sausage, etc) then put meat, onion, and garlic into the pan together. Season with your spice blend.
  • While that is sauteeing, put the frozen veggies into a microwaveable bowl with a tbsp or so of water and cover. I cover my bowl with a cover from a piece of tupperware. Cook for 3 mins in the microwave.
  • Check on your meat and onions. Cook until onions are translucent and meat is cooked through (or has some nice heat marks on it if pre-cooked).
  • Drain excess water from bowl of veggies.
  • Add eggs, milk, and more spice blend to a fairly large bowl (you'll be adding everything into this). Whisk together.
  • Grease a large baking dish. I think the one I use is 9x11. I use leftover bacon grease, or excess grease from the skillet of meat I just cooked, or pam spray.
  • Add the meat and veggies into the egg mixture bowl. Stir.
  • Pour everything into the greased dish and bake for 35-40 minutes.

Once it's cooled I cut them into 8 servings, wrap them in tin foil, and put them into the fridge for later. To reheat - just microwave for 1-1.5 mins. I've eaten a hot one in the car before like a breakfast sandwich and they're good cold on the go too. You can probably pour this mixture into muffin tins as well but I'd watch the cooking time closer.

The recipe with ham and broccoli has the following nutrition facts per serving:

Cals: 173

Protein: 20g

Fat: 7g

Carbs: 6g

Fiber: 1g

Sugar: 2g

• Like 2

I will never forget the time one of my aspiring-healthy-eater coworkers attempted to hard-boil an egg in the microwave without enough water.

The look on his face when the egg went off like a hand grenade... priceless!

Exploding eggs batman !

This sounds like something I need to try !

Now that my blood sugar levels are in check and that the metabolism works much better, I introduced some starches and more carbs back into my diet (doctor gave me the go ahead even if I wonder if she actually listened to what I was telling her, oh well). And guess what's the first treat, the first carb heavy thing I mass cooked for my breakfast? I was born in the northernmost city of Morocco, Tangier, that faces Spain which is only 13 kms away across if you're a good swimmer, and grew up with huge Spanish influences in my culture. SO I MADE A TORTILLA. Simplest, and most delicious thing to start the day with. It's also easy to come up with variants for it if you get tired of the traditional recipe.

Look at that beauty:

rw83l4.jpg

Dump thin-ish slices of potatoes in EVOO and let them fry (don't be too shy on the oil or it won't work), stir until they soften, but don't let them become crispy.

Take them out and get rid of like half the oil that's left in the pan.

Batter a bunch of eggs, add salt and pepper. Put the potatoes back in the pan, dump the eggs over them.

Try to make sure the eggs get between the slices. If the slices are too thick you won't have a nice potato/egg ratio. Let it cook until the bottom is firm, and flip the tortilla using an oiled plate or another pan.

Let it get just firm and then serve.

Simple as F. You can add onions when you cook the potatoes and parsley to the eggs, and a bunch of other things and spices, but this is the base.

• Like 6

Now that my blood sugar levels are in check and that the metabolism works much better, I introduced some starches and more carbs back into my diet (doctor gave me the go ahead even if I wonder if she actually listened to what I was telling her, oh well). And guess what's the first treat, the first carb heavy thing I mass cooked for my breakfast? I was born in the northernmost city of Morocco, Tangier, that faces Spain which is only 13 kms away across if you're a good swimmer, and grew up with huge Spanish influences in my culture. SO I MADE A TORTILLA. Simplest, and most delicious thing to start the day with. It's also easy to come up with variants for it if you get tired of the traditional recipe.

Look at that beauty:

rw83l4.jpg

Dump thin-ish slices of potatoes in EVOO and let them fry (don't be too shy on the oil or it won't work), stir until they soften, but don't let them become crispy.

Batter a bunch of eggs, add salt and pepper. Put the potatoes back in the pan, dump the eggs over them.

Try to make sure the eggs get between the slices. If the slices are too thick you won't have a nice potato/egg ratio. Let it cook until the bottom is firm, and flip the tortilla using an oiled plate or another pan.

Simple as F. You can add onions when you cook the potatoes and parsley to the eggs, and a bunch of other things and spices, but this is the base.

Gorgeous! My family is Basque, so I also think "egg and potato" first when I hear "tortilla!

I've been adding smoked paprika- it gives a nice "bacon-y" flavor (I'm ovo-lacto veg). Also spinach!

• Like 2

Look at that beauty:

this looks amazing! do you have a typical amount of potatoes and eggs that you use?

also love the idea of adding paprika and spinach. mmmmmmm

• Like 1

Look at that beauty:

rw83l4.jpg

This is the default "omelette" where I'm from. Although we use at least a dozen eggs.

• Like 1

Gorgeous! My family is Basque, so I also think "egg and potato" first when I hear "tortilla!

I've been adding smoked paprika- it gives a nice "bacon-y" flavor (I'm ovo-lacto veg). Also spinach!

Basque cuisine is amazing. Yeah there's a Catalan version of it with spinach, it's so good! 

this looks amazing! do you have a typical amount of potatoes and eggs that you use?

also love the idea of adding paprika and spinach. mmmmmmm

If I want a good slice to eat in the morning (I cut that "pie" in 8), I usually use like three medium motatoes, or two big ones. I guess like a pound of potatoes. With that I'd use 8 eggs so it gives me a nice thickness. But that depends on the size of the pan you're using, this was done in the biggest pan I have, so I used about 600gr of potatoes and 12 eggs

This is the default "omelette" where I'm from. Although we use at least a dozen eggs.

Oh so I've been having greco-spanish breakfasts then? Awesome. More eggs = thicker = yum!

You folks are putting me to shame.  I'm going to have to come up with something new and exciting to spice up the cuisine this week.  I've fallen into a bit of a rut eating (more or less) the same thing lately.

Made a tasty little dish tonight. Took 1.5 cups of greek yogurt and blended it with half a bell pepper. Used it instead of sour cream to top our tacos, I'm also going to take it to work tomorrow to dip cucumbers in instead of my usual potato chips. We both like it quite a bit, it is a little watery, so I'm going to use a bit less pepper next time. 

• Like 2

Made a tasty little dish tonight. Took 1.5 cups of greek yogurt and blended it with half a bell pepper. Used it instead of sour cream to top our tacos, I'm also going to take it to work tomorrow to dip cucumbers in instead of my usual potato chips. We both like it quite a bit, it is a little watery, so I'm going to use a bit less pepper next time.

Nice! That's good idea for a simple dip for when I'm in a hurry. Thanks!

I took all of yesterday evening and finally made up a giant batch of muffin tin egg frittattas/mini-quiches/savory breakfast muffins/whateveryouwanttocallthem. I chopped up one whole red bell pepper super-fine and sauteed it with two fistfulls of prepackaged spring mix, then let them simmer while I chopped up the ham. I had read on several sites that the best way to ensure the end product didn't come out of the oven all watery and mushy was to pre-cook the veggies - definitely worked for me. Everything turned out fluffy and moist and delicious. :) After the veggies were cooked (and COOLED!) and the ham was chopped, I cracked in 18 eggs and added salt, pepper, and onion powder ("to taste" - aka, whatever seemed like a good amount at the time). I swirled everything around until the eggs were scrambled, then used a measuring cup to pour the mix into the muffin tin. I probably could've put the ingredients into the tin separately, but... that idea didn't occur to me at the time. :tongue: Baked both batches at 400 degrees (Farenheit) for approximately 20 minutes, which is to say that I assumed they were properly cooked by the time the tops started showing a nice golden-brown color. After letting the tin cool for about 10 minutes, I popped the individual egg-things out (which was ridiculously easy, I think because I buttered the cups despite the fact that it's a non-stick pan) and let them cool completely while I poured in the next batch.

All told, I ended up with 2 dozen egg-things that I then cut in half (because they were too puffy to put in a sandwich directly) and sandwiched between English Muffin halves, wrapped in parchment paper and shoved into cheapo sandwich bags for a grand total of 10 premade breakfast sandwiches. I then made 12 breakfast mini-burritos by quartering the left over pre-halved egg-things and putting them on small corn tortillas with some salsa (also wrapped in parchment paper and stuffed into snack-sized sealable plastic baggies). And I still had egg-things left over!!! But I was tired and it was already 19:00, so I just bagged the rest plain and called it a night.

11817199_1471702213125315_60209289902490

11811362_1471703729791830_50490544186195

• Like 7