• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DarK_RaideR

The Campfire | Recipes for Ranger delicacies!

In today's episode of "Raiding the pantry" : Beef with snow peas

IMG_20150804_214323.jpg

Ingredients (single serving)

- About 300gr of lean beef, cut in cubes

- 3-4 cups of snow peas. I used the frozen pre-chopped version

- A tomato

- An onion

- Olive oil

- Salt and pepper

- Garlic is optional

How to

Pour the olive oil into a pot, preferrably with a wide bottom, and heat it up. Don't just cover the bottom, this is gonna take a good amount of oil.

Finely chop the onion and cook it. If you're lazy or in a hurry, you can chop it in a food processor, but that induces a penalty of 10 burpees.

If you don't like garlic, skip this step. If you love it, add some to the cooking onions. If you're on the fence about it, add the garlic to cook and remove it once it's contributed the smell and taste.

Add the beef and stir often. Do not lower heat yet. The idea is to "fortify" the exterior of the meat and contain the juices within as it cooks later on. This will take some time, beef is not the softest of meats. Also, don't forget to stir lest it gets stuck on the bottom to burn.

Add the snow peas and stir. Then grind the tomato and add it to the mix. if you're using fresh tomato, add a pinch of sugar to contain the natural sourness of it. If you're using tomato sauce or paste, skip the sugar.

Lower the fire and let it cook until the more watery liquids of the tomato are gone and you're left with a thick sauce. Stir the entire pot occasionally but never with a utensil, as it will inevitably mash the ingredients. The longer and slower you cook it, the yummier it will turn out.

Once done, serve and set aside for a couple of minutes to rest. The more it stays, the tastier it becomes as the flavors blend. You can even have it the following day, especially if you make a larger dose and it's even good straight out of the fridge with no need for a re-heat.

• Like 3

How have I not been on this thread? Whatiswrongwitme?

I need meat grenades in my life. 

I've seen a number of posts about breakfasts and bulk breakfasts in particular. 

I have the same thing every week day for breakfast - a fatty protein smoothie loaded with veggies. This sucker fills me up until lunch (I eat breakfast around 8:30 and lunch at 12:30), has a fair amount of protein, and ensures that I at least get *some* vegetables in during the day. We've recently been upping the avocado content and playing with adding turmeric root, to good success. 

These keep in the fridge fine for 2 days (the longest I've tried keeping them), though they do tend to thicken up upon standing so I would suggest pre-portioning. I drink mine with a straw; the DH gulps his. 

• Like 1

Beets are awesome and if you don't like them, try this out:

1) Grab some pre-boiled beets. I got a jar of 500gr but they also come in void-packs. Alternatively, you can get fresh ones, boil and peel them.

2) Chop or cube them to your preferred size, depending on how much of a crunch you want in the final product.

3) Crush a handful or two of walnuts. Food processor is also an option.

4) In a large bowl combine beets, walnuts, two cups of greek yoghurt and a bit of ground garlic. A splash of vinegar is optional, I tend to skip that part.

5) Mix everything really well until you achieve a Barbie pink effect

6) Leave in the fridge for the flavors to blend, at least 2 hours. The color will probably get darker too.

Serve cold on its own, on top of a green salad, next to grilled meats or as a side dish

Remember: Beets are full of natural colouring substances. Expect unusual results in the bathroom and do not freak out.

• Like 7

Hey guys- I wanted to post this recipe for some protein cookies I make. I call them "Apollo Cookies".

1 cup of sunflower butter

2 bananas- mashed

Add in a scoop or 2 of protein powder

1 egg, whisked

1/3 cup of honey

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp of vanilla extract

1/4 tsp of cinnamon

Pinch of salt

1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips

... And wait for it,

2-3 strips of cooked bacon! The bacon is something new I've added and it's it's just wonderful. Obviously.

Preheat the oven to 350- mix all the ingredient except cooked bacon and dark chocolate chips. Add those in after you've stirred it up well.

94f0a68b1b6dc7a7a12e6e6c2676a021.jpg

If you have an ice cream scoop, use that to glob them on a non stick pan or I like to use coconut oil spray if you need something. Cook for about 15-17 min and voila!

fbb329adf844cf727be4a0f9a132a694.jpg

cc9b3e38b25540ce60ae725e525840d4.jpg

I hope you guys enjoy!

Wolf

"Let the Boomstick do the talking."

• Like 4

Hey guys- I wanted to post this recipe for some protein cookies I make. I call them "Apollo Cookies".

1 cup of sunflower butter

2 bananas- mashed

Add in a scoop or 2 of protein powder

1 egg, whisked

1/3 cup of honey

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tsp of vanilla extract

1/4 tsp of cinnamon

Pinch of salt

1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips

... And wait for it,

2-3 strips of cooked bacon! The bacon is something new I've added and it's it's just wonderful. Obviously.

Preheat the oven to 350- mix all the ingredient except cooked bacon and dark chocolate chips. Add those in after you've stirred it up well.

94f0a68b1b6dc7a7a12e6e6c2676a021.jpg

If you have an ice cream scoop, use that to glob them on a non stick pan or I like to use coconut oil spray if you need something. Cook for about 15-17 min and voila!

fbb329adf844cf727be4a0f9a132a694.jpg

cc9b3e38b25540ce60ae725e525840d4.jpg

I hope you guys enjoy!

Wolf

Dear gods, those look GOOD!!!!! I can't tell if I'm gaining weight looking at them or losing it hyperventilating over them!

• Like 3

Dear gods, those look GOOD!!!!! I can't tell if I'm gaining weight looking at them or losing it hyperventilating over them!

Hahaha! Right on. Those bad boys are so good! The 1st time I made them they turned out kinda "muffin-top-ish". They were fluffy and oh so good! The "pizza" style pic was when I just made one giant cookie and cut it up into slices. That's also another easy way to bake a bunch a once- make ONE GIANT COOKIE.

I guess I wanted to be the guy that busted out cookies post workout instead of your traditional shake ðŸ»

#RangerGamechanger

Wolf

• Like 1

I need some help. I tried making curry and it ended up having no real taste/flavour apart from 'spicy' (although it is about the right level of spicy).

I used yellow squash as the base, then added an onion, bell pepper, hot peppers, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, coriander, chili powder, red pepper, ginger, and a splash of milk. It was a bit thin so I did cave and add rice to it.

Any tips or ideas on what to add to make it taste like something?

Check out the NF recipe for chicken curry - it has a really delicious spice palette in it that you could easily put into the recipe you're already using. :)

Whoa, that is convenient! I haven't read the newer blogs, which explains how I missed it.

Strange though. If we swap the sweet potatoes for my squash, the only things I didn't toss in are olive oil, chicken, cinnamon, and I used cow milk instead of coconut. I also just dumped the spices in instead of measuring, which should have put it in the over-spiced category. Maybe I really did under estimate it with the size of my batch? I'll try a little bowl with more spices (curry specifically) and see if I can use the small scale to better judge adding what fixes it.

• Like 1

Whoa, that is convenient! I haven't read the newer blogs, which explains how I missed it.

Strange though. If we swap the sweet potatoes for my squash, the only things I didn't toss in are olive oil, chicken, cinnamon, and I used cow milk instead of coconut. I also just dumped the spices in instead of measuring, which should have put it in the over-spiced category. Maybe I really did under estimate it with the size of my batch? I'll try a little bowl with more spices (curry specifically) and see if I can use the small scale to better judge adding what fixes it.

i would hazard a guess that you didn't use enough curry powder! that is usually the driving flavor in my curries. i also prefer to use half curry powder and half curry paste (thai kitchen is the only brand I've found without added sugar). curry paste will do wonders! annnnd i usually use a whole can of coconut milk which i'm sure helps to thicken it up and make it a bit more creamy than cow's milk. if you don't like coconut, maybe try a heavier milk?

I like this recipe but used diced tomatoes instead of tomato sauce, a can of pumpkin instead of the delicata, and left out the gram masala. I think i probably did something different than kale too, but it's a good base!

good luck!

• Like 1

Cucumber, tomato, cream cheese and chive Sandwich!

This delicious food stuff is only 225 calories per sandwich. The words I would use to describe the taste is "light and refreshing". One sandwich is pretty filling, but if that's  not enough you can always make a second one and your lunch will still be under 500 calories. And yes, I totally got the idea from Pinterest. :tongue:

Tip: Toast the bread and plop your cream cheese on one of the slices while it's still warm, then prep your veggies. The heat from the bread will soften the cream cheese and make it easier to spread by the time you're done slicing.

Ingredients:

• 2 pieces wheat bread (toasted)
  • Approximately 9 cucumber slices
  • 2 Tbls cream cheese
  • 2 tomato slices
  • Freshly chopped chives/green onion (to taste)
  • Salt (to taste)

11201494_1476341469328056_13070047872338

11891233_1476341435994726_80815774508837

11887912_1476341399328063_35992299036011

11891116_1476341379328065_32170128519739

• Like 4

Cucumber, tomato, cream cheese and chive Sandwich!

This delicious food stuff is only 225 calories per sandwich. The words I would use to describe the taste is "light and refreshing". One sandwich is pretty filling, but if that's not enough you can always make a second one and your lunch will still be under 500 calories. And yes, I totally got the idea from Pinterest. :tongue:

Tip: Toast the bread and plop your cream cheese on one of the slices while it's still warm, then prep your veggies. The heat from the bread will soften the cream cheese and make it easier to spread by the time you're done slicing.

Ingredients:

• 2 pieces wheat bread (toasted)
  • Approximately 9 cucumber slices
  • 2 Tbls cream cheese
  • 2 tomato slices
  • Freshly chopped chives/green onion (to taste)
  • Salt (to taste)

11201494_1476341469328056_13070047872338

11891233_1476341435994726_80815774508837

11887912_1476341399328063_35992299036011

11891116_1476341379328065_32170128519739

I need to make this - it sounds delicious.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

• Like 1

So I had half of cantaloupe that I needed to eat before it went bad. Took out the seeds and filled that gap with Philadelphia cream cheese. Glorious

• Like 4

I like to do cantaloupe with cottage cheese!  Also, another thing you can do with canteloupe is make soup!  I've made this recipe once or twice:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/cantaloupe-gazpacho-51175200

...and you can garnish with crumbled up BACON!  Yay summer!

(also evicious I am definitely doing that sandwich, looks SO GOOD!)

• Like 2

Cantaloupe with bacon or prosciutto rocks indeed. Confirmed. I'll have to try out that gazpacho next time I have some cantaloupe on my hands. For the record, once I ran out of cream cheese, I carved the rest of the cantaloupe with some tahini. It was... passable. The awesome was pouring the leftover juice into a glass and blending it with some tequila. Rangerly Cooking 101, make the most out of your food items!

• Like 2

i would hazard a guess that you didn't use enough curry powder! that is usually the driving flavor in my curries. i also prefer to use half curry powder and half curry paste (thai kitchen is the only brand I've found without added sugar). curry paste will do wonders! annnnd i usually use a whole can of coconut milk which i'm sure helps to thicken it up and make it a bit more creamy than cow's milk. if you don't like coconut, maybe try a heavier milk?

I like this recipe but used diced tomatoes instead of tomato sauce, a can of pumpkin instead of the delicata, and left out the gram masala. I think i probably did something different than kale too, but it's a good base!

good luck!

Okay, I tried more curry and ginger. I thought it was better in the pot, but then every other bite once I sat down had an aftertaste . . . I am not sure how to describe it other than artificial, not quite metallic . . . and was suddenly too spicy. I think it might have been some of the peppers I added the first time but now I don't think I can fix it even by just flavouring it with something else - except I have entirely too much squash, maybe throwing that in to dilute it and more tomato paste then just flavour with basil, oregano, and such? 

Rawr this is frustrating.

On that note - I am likely going to cook and pulverize a LOT of yellow squash and zucchini tomorrow and would welcome ideas of what to do with baggies of that (will be frozen) that preferably don't involve curry because that probably isn't a good choice for not wasting food.

Add egg and shredded sweet potato, make hash?

Puree and make soup?

Add ground beef and beans, make chili?

Zucchini fritters/pancakes?

• Like 1

On that note - I am likely going to cook and pulverize a LOT of yellow squash and zucchini tomorrow and would welcome ideas of what to do with baggies of that (will be frozen) that preferably don't involve curry because that probably isn't a good choice for not wasting food.

Add egg and shredded sweet potato, make hash?

Puree and make soup?

Add ground beef and beans, make chili?

Zucchini fritters/pancakes?

i second all those suggestions! i also make chicken and zucchini meatballs that are pretty delicious and you can freeze them once made. i'm sure you could also do burgers too. will make for a quick weeknight dinner later!

I'm making more ratatouille! I put beef kielbasa in it this time, to give it more substance. Nommmms.

Jealous of the cantaloupe! I quite enjoy sprinkling a bit of salt on cantaloupes, but I do have a crazy love affair with cream cheese, so that snack of yours sounds super amazing, D_R...

• Like 2