• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DarK_RaideR

The Campfire | Recipes for Ranger delicacies!

I wanted to post this recipe before I forgot. This is a non-paleo meal because of the legumes (beans)

My boss had a birthday this past weekend and on Friday we did a huge potluck for her. I made her her favorite dish...like "This would be my last meal on earth" kind of dish. The funny thing, it's really simple. Yay for simple!

This is a crockpot meal, but can be cooked on the stove as well. Set crockpot for 4-6hrs

2 cans of white beans

2 cans of garbanzo beans

1lb of chorizo sausage-3x links if you buy them this way

4 strips of bacon (or ham hock)

1 large bag of spinach

Throw the beans in 1st. While that's starting to cook, get your bacon ready. I like cooking mine in the oven on 350 for about 12-15 min. Cover the beans and bacon in water, just below completely submerging them. Then, get your chorizo ready. Peel the thin layer on the sausage and fry up the whole batch on medium heat. Once that's good and cooked, add the whole thing into the crockpot. Put the lid on and let the magic happen. After the time has elapsed, your dish should be smelling pretty damn good. Before you serve, add in 2-3 handfuls of spinach. Let that simmer for about 10-15 min and voila! Apparently this is a Cuban dish my boss used to get when she lived in Florida. It was my 1st time making it but she LOVED it. I think she ate like 2 bowls of it lol. The combo of chorizo and bacon alone make this worth making. In fact, it's so good, I'm gonna make it again for my wife and kids this week!

Wolf

• Like 4

That sounds like a very cowboy dish and something I could leave for hours on the coals to cook while camping. Should try it out sometime

Sent via smoke signals from the Ranger HQ, hidden deep in the Fitness Forest

• Like 2

Well, I guess it's true then. Us Texans are really cowboy's at heart :) I got the boots...I got the jeans and plaid shirts..but I lack a horse, lasso, spurs and a cowboy hat. I can only take myself so far into it haha. More "Cowboy Cookin" to come in the future. YEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAWWWWW!

Wolf

• Like 2

This isn't really a recipe so much as I-threw-a-bunch-of-stuff-together-and-it-worked, but here it is:

Pork Dumplings:

• Ground pork (~1lb? I think the package was 450g)
  • Celery (a couple stalks)
  • Bell pepper (I had half of one left over)
  • Scallions/green onions (a couple or three I think)
  • Whatever veggies you want. I think spinach/greens would work well, maybe zucchini. Nothing too watery, I think tomatoes and cucumber would make the dumplings too soggy
  • Soy sauce
  • 5 spice
  • Ginger
  • Dumpling/wonton wrappers from the freezer section of the grocery store
  1. Mix everything but the wrappers together in a big bowl
  2. Put like a small handful (I have small hands, adjust accordingly) of the mix on a wrapper
  3. Fold up the wrapper however works for you. I folded it so it went from a square to a triangle, smushed the edges together, then folded the corners down on top
  4. Fry on both sides. If you end up with a side of the dumpling with only 1 layer of wrapper it'll be pretty see-through. The side with several layers went golden/brown. If you've cooked perogies you'll know when it's done
  5. EAT!

Optional: 

Make the Spicy Sauce from the Well Fed Egg Foo Yong recipe, adjusted for what's in my kitchen, and eyeballed instead of measured:

• 2 tablespoons Olive Oil Mayo
  • Some soy sauce
  • A bit less rice vinegar
  • As much garlic as you want
  • A pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
  • A pinch of cayenne pepper
  1. Put it in a bowl
  2. Mix it
  3. EAT!
Extra credit:
Banana dumplings for dessert
  • Bananas
  • Left over dumpling wrappers
  1. Cut up banana into as many pieces as you have wrappers
  2. Wrap banana in the wrappers the same way you did the pork. Smushing the banana a bit when you do this is good.
  3. Fry 'em up
  4. EAT!

These would probably be really good with chocolate or Nutella on/in them

• Like 2

Who loves tuna salad. Me loves tuna salad, that's who. Here is a quick and fairly easy recipe that has been a staple in my weekly menu for some time now. It is slam full of good protein, carbs, omega 3s, and awesome. The amounts are a bit inexact, but that's just how I cook.

2 Large cans of chunk light tuna in water

1 Large head of fresh broccoli

1 Bunch of celery sticks

1 Lemon

1 Jar mayonnaise (extra credit if you make your own)

1/2 Cup roasted shelled sunflower seeds

1/2 Cup milled flax seed

Salt and pepper to taste

1 First chop up celery into smaller than night sized pieces. Now do the same with the florets from the broccoli. These will give you the crunch that tuna salad needs to balance with its creamyness.

2 Open and drain both cans of tuna. Drain them well because excess water will make your finished product all kinds of runny. Add tuna to greens and toss lightly.

3 Squeeze that lemon. Or if you must add in some bottled lemon juice. Though that's not very Ranger now is it. This adds a ton of flavor that pairs well with fish and pepper.

4 Now add in the seeds. The sunflower adds a bit of toastyness that crackers and toast would normally provide. The flax seed is about as super food as it gets so why the beck not.

5 Here comes the wet stuff. Spoon in and mix your mayo until the desired consistency is achieved. I like mine a bit drier but I'm sure there are some out there that like theirs on the sloppy side.

6 Last but so not least, salt and pepper. I recommend adding the pepper first. It has the flavor profile that goes with fish and you will end up using less salt in the long run.

Hope you guys like my little dish. Its really easy to up the proportions for a get together or cut them down for a quick lunch. Enjoy.

• Like 3

022.jpg

Omelet muffins.  Add eggs and any fixings you want into a muffin pan and bake.

Other favorites around here are oatmeal with peanut butter, pork chops with an egg cracked over them, and canned herring over a bed of fried vegetables.

I saw this post last week and immediately had to run to the grocery store and make them.

Omelet Muffins

I used: eggs, mozzarella, mushrooms, kale, onions, garlic (fresh chopped), tomato and bacon. Yum! I would probably replace the kale with spinach next time - the fibrous stalk that I love in a sandwich or salad was not as great in the muffin. I also got excited and made too much batter, which then overflowed. Oops.

Thanks for the recipe idea! Had great breakfast all week  :peaceful:
  • Like 3

Also, this is so simple it's barely a recipe, but:

Brussel Sprouts & Bacon

I had to use up the leftover bacon from my omelet muffins, so I cut up the bacon into little pieces and threw it on the pan with halved brussel sprouts. A little olive oil and salt (I use truffle salt, because truffle anything. Also good with garlic powder) @ 425 and voila! Cook until your desired level of crispy.
  • Like 6

You guys - this is amazeballs. 

I made my own ketchup and it's actually awesome. 

Here's the recipe.

11933448_10153094066338231_8003215858874

Also, if you're not opposed to cheese, this is the EASIEST soup EVER

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

11058492_10153097518333231_5284761705981

Boil lots of broccoli until it's fairly squishy. 

Remove broccoli from water and put into blender.

Add a bit of the broccoli-water, to help it blend (maybe 1/4cup for a head of broccoli)

Add salt and pepper to taste. 

Blend. 

Pour into pot and add cheddar cheese to taste. Stir until melted. 

Serve. 

Also, this is so simple it's barely a recipe, but:

I had to use up the leftover bacon from my omelet muffins, so I cut up the bacon into little pieces and threw it on the pan with halved brussel sprouts. A little olive oil and salt (I use truffle salt, because truffle anything. Also good with garlic powder) @ 425 and voila! Cook until your desired level of crispy.

Roasted Brussels sprouts are so good. I usually use more bacon, though. Then it's practically a meal on its own. 

1 pound raw bacon per 1 pound of sprouts.

Lightly steam the sprouts (10 minutes or so), then halve them and spread in casserole dish. Cook bacon until crispy and set aside. Pour bacon grease all over sprouts and stir with salt, pepper and garlic to taste. Roast at 425F for 30 minutes or so (like you said, "until desired level of crispy") and when you take them out, just stir in all the crispy bacon. They key for me is making sure everything is crispy. Crispy = awesome.

• Like 2

Roasted Brussels sprouts are so good. I usually use more bacon, though. Then it's practically a meal on its own. 

1 pound raw bacon per 1 pound of sprouts.

Lightly steam the sprouts (10 minutes or so), then halve them and spread in casserole dish. Cook bacon until crispy and set aside. Pour bacon grease all over sprouts and stir with salt, pepper and garlic to taste. Roast at 425F for 30 minutes or so (like you said, "until desired level of crispy") and when you take them out, just stir in all the crispy bacon. They key for me is making sure everything is crispy. Crispy = awesome.

Sounds like the gourmet version! I'm totally with you - the crispier the better.

Hey!  I just realized I could post something here. Yay.  Chorizo sweet potato peppers with a cod filet.  

Brown chorizo (2-4 links) then remove the excess grease

Add in and saute veggies

--1 large chunked onion

--1-2 red peppers

--1 orange/yellow pepper

--2 jalapenos

--1-2 large diced sweet potatoes

Spice to taste (I used chili powder, garlic and cayenne)

I baked my cod in the oven with a little salt/pepper then added it, but you could also steam it on the veggies or cook however and throw on top.  The cod helps soak up the spiciness.  It made me happy.

12027748_1035302949837179_58514261872980

• Like 6

No pictures, but today's experiment was Sriracha Turkey Burgers filled with coleslaw.

2lbs ground turkey

4 tbsp Sriracha sauce

3 tbsp Roasted Red Pepper & Garlic seasoning

1 Egg

Approx 1-2 cups of fresh coleslaw

Mix with hands, form into burgers, and cooked on the stove.  Drizzled with Blue Cheese Crumble dressing afterwards.

• Like 5

I attempted something different with my usual morning breakfast. I tend to make this Sweet Potato Hash and top it with fried eggs & bacon, but today I attempted to nest the eggs in the hash. It was a brilliant idea, but poorly executed on my part. The eggs cooked unevenly, even with the lid on, and one yolk broke, so my breakfast did not have my favorite, gooey, protein-packed dressing all over it. I will attempt it again sometime soon, but cook hotter for longer without the lid and add some Hollandaise sauce for extra dressing, just in case.

• Like 1

I wanted something sweet but with a bit of healthy in there too- so I had an idea.

I took half an apple, cut it into chunks, then put it in a bowl with ~1tbs brown sugar, some cinnnamon, and a spoonful of honey and stirred it all together until the apple pieces were coated. 

It was delicious but fairly low calorie for a sweet treat!

• Like 1

I wanted something sweet but with a bit of healthy in there too- so I had an idea.

I took half an apple, cut it into chunks, then put it in a bowl with ~1tbs brown sugar, some cinnnamon, and a spoonful of honey and stirred it all together until the apple pieces were coated. 

It was delicious but fairly low calorie for a sweet treat!

When I do this, I use butter, cinnamon, pecans, and a little honey (occasionally) and cook them in the pan until they get soft and warm. Best. Thing. Ever.

Just want to share that breakfast at 6:15am is back!

DSCN0030_zpsda7zqsja.jpg

• Like 2

I keep seeing this sweet potato hash pop up everywhere. I really need to try it, but I don't have a food processor. I wonder if another machine would do the trick...

This is my version of lazy: I would rather use my arm muscles and shred the potatoes with a manual grater than have to clean the food processor when I'm done. >.< That and that thing is LOUD at six in the morning! There are still people sleeping in the house when I'm awake.

Cheaper, and works just as well! 

330014201-2.jpg

• Like 2

This is my version of lazy: I would rather use my arm muscles and shred the potatoes with a manual grater than have to clean the food processor when I'm done. >.< That and that thing is LOUD at six in the morning! There are still people sleeping in the house when I'm awake.

Cheaper, and works just as well! 

330014201-2.jpg

This is my tool for making hash:

peeling_knife_medium.jpg?111277107938772

Takes a long time, but it's silent and I can make the pieces any darn size and shape I want. 

• Like 1

This is my tool for making hash:

peeling_knife_medium.jpg?111277107938772

Takes a long time, but it's silent and I can make the pieces any darn size and shape I want. 

You know, that's a not a bad idea. If the pieces are bigger, it would take a little longer to cook, perhaps, but that's not a big deal. 

• Like 1

This is happening right meow

12088153_10153158804808231_3046343896089

10410359_10153158803673231_8762412391736

12038267_10153158807483231_7980897280143

Cooking the chicken breast in chicken broth, lemon juice and taco seasoning.

Cut  up a rainbow of veggies

Guac: Avocado, tomato, salt, pepper, spring onion, lemon juice.

• Like 6