Terah becomes a warrior

Terah

This sounds very familiar...! Do you feel like you're deprived of something if you try to limit your eating? I used to have huge issues with "I can do whatever I want with my food!!", and it took a long time for that rebellious side to learn that it can do whatever it wants, but it always shouldn't.

How do you feel about calorie counting? Do you feel like it tells you how much you can still eat (limiting you, possibly), or are you taking the calories as statistics (like a scientist, "let's see what this amount of calories will do")? The latter has helped me to get curious about calories. I'm simply observing the results of certain amounts of calories, instead of letting them "limit" me. If it doesn't work, it isn't me that's failed: it's the method (the amount of calories). Then it's time to try something else.

It's possible that I haven't understood you correctly at all, but ummh. I like writing? o__o

You understood me perfectly :)

Calorie counting does feel like I'm restricting myself, and I really don't like restrictions (yes, I'm a rebel ;) ). I did learn from counting though: Less fatty stuff, more veg and fruit is in order. 

I think I will count on occasion, just to see how I'm doing, not to restrict myself. Thanks for the suggestion :)

• Like 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

You understood me perfectly :)

Calorie counting does feel like I'm restricting myself, and I really don't like restrictions (yes, I'm a rebel ;) ). I did learn from counting though: Less fatty stuff, more veg and fruit is in order. 

I think I will count on occasion, just to see how I'm doing, not to restrict myself. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Same here: hang the code, hang the rules! D8<

No need to write your answer here if you don't want to, but just to consider: what might have made you so rebellious about eating, exactly? I basically grew up being told, "don't eat that, or that, you're already overweight. PUT THE COOKIE DOWN" Years and years of this, and it just made me anxious, and when I'm anxious, I eat. Neat! (Not.) At some point I didn't see these people as much, but I kept thinking, "now I can eat whatever I want, and no one is judging me!" If these people were around, I'd get even more rebellious: I would eat some more, just to show them! Sure, it felt good being able to show them!!, but did I lose any weight or get healthier? Nope.

At some point I had to face the fact that eating myself heavier wasn't a great revenge. Setting their house on fire, on the other hand... And being rebellious actually made me sabotage my quest for a healthier me - it restricted me from seeing the bigger picture. So, I just made a deal with my inner rebel to strive towards bigger things than getting to do what I want. To be exact, to strive towards the things that should be done. (Well, actually, I do want to lose weight. So... I still get to do what I want!) The inner rebel is a great ally these days, not giving a hoot about anyone who has done me wrong anymore :D

Again, I don't know you or your reasons for acting the way you do, and I hope you don't think I'm trying to simplify you. Just sharing my experiences with the same issues :) Your inner rebel is a huge source of energy. Use it well!

• Like 2

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

Thanks for that post Ensi, it really makes me think :)

My mom didn't make any rules regarding eating. She herself went on diet after diet and binged in between. At the age of 8 I was send to a dietitian. It was very confusing for me. I was never thought to listen to my own body ("You're full? Just wait a few minutes, then you will be able to eat more." and the day after that: "no, one apple is enough" and "no more than 2 sandwiches").

Now I'm trying to make my own rules and when I don't want to anymore I stop following them. Not very constructive, I know ;)

But on the other hand: I'm handling intermittent fasting for two months now and that is going very well. A few hick ups in the beginning, but it feels great now. So I can follow my own rules, just not all of them...

Ok, I need to think about this some more. Maybe I'm just the rebellious type ;)

• Like 3
Spoiler

Thanks for that post Ensi, it really makes me think :)

My mom didn't make any rules regarding eating. She herself went on diet after diet and binged in between. At the age of 8 I was send to a dietitian. It was very confusing for me. I was never thought to listen to my own body ("You're full? Just wait a few minutes, then you will be able to eat more." and the day after that: "no, one apple is enough" and "no more than 2 sandwiches").

Considering all this, it's very understandable you hate rules...! But it sounds like you're on the right way: listening to your body is a wonderful way to establish a healthy relationship with food :) Forget about all the confusion, dieting and rules. Make your own strategies instead, draw a map to where you're going! I try to think about my eating as a strategy or a method, rather than a set of rules. I'm sick of rules, when it comes to eating. Following a strategy/method is completely up to me, where as rules feel like something you have to go by.

Changing your ways always takes time, but you can do it, if you keep trying and remain kind to yourself!

• Like 2

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

That's really interesting.  I'm trying to set an example to my daughter.  She's 9 and really only a little overweight.  I'm not as strict with them about carbs and grains but i try to encourage fresh freggies and lots of protein to balance out the carbs.  But I do fall into those habits of rule making.  Like the other day she had made 4 pieces of toast.  4!  I maybe freaked for a second.or two.  It's hard to know how to encourage them to build healthy habits that will last a lifetime without being strict about them.  

My mom was the opposite.  She was overweight and ate what she wanted.  At one point she had a boyfriend that told her she needed to go for walks and eat better.  So we would 'go for walks' and then go sit at the park for awhile... and order pizza whenever she wanted and just hide it from her BF.  Equally not healthy but the eat whatever you want, whether you're full or not is what got me here in the first place.  

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Changed Quest 1B. No more calorie counting. I eat what I'm hungry for when I'm hungry. No more rules, just a new strategy (thanks Ensi :) ).

Quest 1B: Meal time

Max 3 meals a day. A meal is anything that fits on one plate, and isn't just fruit or vegetable.

(So fruit and veg are good snacks, but only if hungry. A piece of cake or chocolate is a meal.)

Measurement: A = 37-42 days of successful IF, B = 31-36 days of successful IF, C = 24-30 days of successful IF

Reward: A = +1 CON, B = +0.5 CON, C = +0.5 CON

Score for today (Thursday): 
14 hours of fasting (after that binge that ended at 22:00 yesterday, breakfast was at 12:00 today)
1 hour zumba (fasted, since it was at 10 am)
Had two meals (12:00 and 17:30) with only fruit in between.
  • Like 3
Spoiler

Wow Terah, I had a very similar experience being brought to a dietitian at 6 or 7. Being on a diet as a kid has a lasting effect doesn't it!?

I remember being told what I couldn't eat then watching kids at school eat whatever they wanted. For the longest time I thought that meant something was wrong with me. I never believed I could be fit and healthy cause obviously I can't eat like a normal person can. No one mentioned exercise to me EVER. It was all about what I couldn't have.

I don't look at dieting like that anymore. Isn't that I can't eat ice cream because it isn't paleo, it's rather that I can choose not to because I know what ice cream does to me. I use diet as a guideline but the choice is always mine to follow the guideline or not.

• Like 2

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

Wow Terah, I had a very similar experience being brought to a dietitian at 6 or 7. Being on a diet as a kid has a lasting effect doesn't it!?

I remember being told what I couldn't eat then watching kids at school eat whatever they wanted. For the longest time I thought that meant something was wrong with me. I never believed I could be fit and healthy cause obviously I can't eat like a normal person can. No one mentioned exercise to me EVER. It was all about what I couldn't have.

I don't look at dieting like that anymore. Isn't that I can't eat ice cream because it isn't paleo, it's rather that I can choose not to because I know what ice cream does to me. I use diet as a guideline but the choice is always mine to follow the guideline or not.

With my two boys one is tall and thin, but not strong, while the other is short, stocky, a bit overweight and very, very strong! I fell in to the "normal" don't eat that, can't eat that, then took stock these last two, three months, and now I tell them what the sugar, gluten flour, etc. does to them, and that they should rather exercise. So we all finally got the message that I won't stop loving you if you eat wrong, but you'll get sick and it is our responsibility to look after our bodies - we only have one to live with. I'm trying to get them to exercise with me, but also to do sport they enjoy, not just to exercise for health, but to actually like what they are doing! In my case if I eat that chocolate, I know I need to exercise more, so if I'm willing to do that, then ok.

• Like 4

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

With my two boys one is tall and thin, but not strong, while the other is short, stocky, a bit overweight and very, very strong! I fell in to the "normal" don't eat that, can't eat that, then took stock these last two, three months, and now I tell them what the sugar, gluten flour, etc. does to them, and that they should rather exercise. So we all finally got the message that I won't stop loving you if you eat wrong, but you'll get sick and it is our responsibility to look after our bodies - we only have one to live with. I'm trying to get them to exercise with me, but also to do sport they enjoy, not just to exercise for health, but to actually like what they are doing! In my case if I eat that chocolate, I know I need to exercise more, so if I'm willing to do that, then ok.

I like this.  I try to do this at times but this will be my focus going forward...  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

I try to teach my boys the same things. But since they are so small I do have a few rules. Like no chocolate sprinkles on your bread during week days, and they have to taste everything on their plate (but they don't have to finish it if they are full). And my eldest has a normal weight, but isn't very strong and the youngest is a bit overweight (but growing out of it) and very strong. 

It is so important to teach your children to have a healthy relationship with food. But first you have to have one yourself. In Dutch we have a great word for that: "voorleven". It means live your life like you would want your children to live theirs.

Yes, exactly :) I started "dieting" on my own when I was 14/15. What I actually did was starve myself. I did become thin. Until I had enough of it (I was 17) and gained again.

• Like 2
Spoiler

A big win for me today:

I went and lifted weights in the gym! And it was ok. No, I wasn't as thin, muscular or strong as the others there. But two of them actually came over to help me do my squats right. They were so kind to me :)

Oh, and I fasted for 18 hours. I feel so much more free now I'm not counting :)

superwoman_flexing_by_reitheneko-d32sv7t

• Like 6
Spoiler

Yes, exactly :) I started "dieting" on my own when I was 14/15. What I actually did was starve myself. I did become thin. Until I had enough of it (I was 17) and gained again.

I did exactly the same thing. I was 17 too! And now I think I ruined my metabolism by starving myself and think it's because of that I ended up much heavier overall.

Reading all of your experiences of raising children with a healthy attitude to food is really interesting. It must be a minefield, what with the standard western diet being so poor and temptations all around from the food industry who are just trying to get your kids to want their unhealthy products. I don't envy you in this but it sounds like you're all doing a fantastic job with it. 

Well done on facing your fears and lifting in the gym! You're a superhero! 

• Like 3

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Week 1 Friday:

18 hours of fasting

3 meals (one excisting of just ice cream :) )

Lifted weights

Week 1 Saturday:

16 hours of fasting

3 meals (one excisting of cake at a birthday party )

The scale is moving the right direction again! It looks like I'm on the right track now.

Reading all of your experiences of raising children with a healthy attitude to food is really interesting. It must be a minefield, what with the standard western diet being so poor and temptations all around from the food industry who are just trying to get your kids to want their unhealthy products. I don't envy you in this but it sounds like you're all doing a fantastic job with it. 

It is a minefield. And now my eldest son is going to school it is that much more difficult. The teachers don't know much about healthy nutrition and the government doesn't do a good job in promoting healthy food choices  (promoting things like margarine, fruit sprinkles (sugar and coloring agents), lots of bread etc. ). He is "lucky" to have food allergies so I can control his food more (let him take a snack with him when he is going to play at a friends home for example). *exit rant* :P

Well done on facing your fears and lifting in the gym! You're a superhero! 

You made me blush  :orange:

• Like 2
Spoiler

Week 1 Sunday:

15 hours of fasting

3 meals

Went to the swimming pool with my boys to teach them how to swim. 

I'm meeting two friends at the gym tomorrow. Hopefully we will keep each other motivated :)

• Like 2
Spoiler

Fasted workout at the gym. There are not many people Monday morning, and the ones there are spending at least halve an hour on the cardio equipment, so I had the free weight section to myself. I experimented with lifting with a bar. I loved the bar for the dead lifts, but not for squats. I did a goblet squat with one dumbbell. When the dumbbell is to heavy to lift I'll change to Romanian squats (I don't have a lot of power in my arms yet).

One of my friends tried the seated leg press, started with 40kg's and told me the machine was stuck. I changed it to 30 kg's and she got the machine moving. I was done in the free weight section, so I thought to give the seated leg press a try (it had been a while since I tried that) and I felt like such a badass when I easily pushed away 130 kg's ;)

• Like 5
Spoiler

"It's stuck." I snorted when I read that :). Glad you were there to help your friends out. Nice to hear about more women messing around with weights. And good job on the leg work!

LOL me too! Brought back some memories from when I went to gym, except the lady on the machine wasn't a friend, just an acquantance and she had such a thick layer of make up on! Her "friends" were over in another corner, also heavily painted, and ignoring her trouble, "using" machines but chatting more than anything else...

• Like 1

First KM category done! A small one, just to get started: cutlery

Above is before, below after. 

FotorCreated_zpseur1oqjm.jpg

• Like 3
Spoiler

Wow, that's some delightful organisation going on there. I'll be keeping an eye on what you're doing for some tips ;)

That's a great effort at the gym. I think half the fitness battle is a mental one - building confidence in all those things that have proven to be intimidating in the past. I'm so glad you had positive gym folk there too - it really helps with the enjoyment factor, which will help keep you even more motivated :)

• Like 2

Level 2 | Adventurer | Lycan

Little by little, a little becomes a lot. 

How the story begins..     Doodlie Buddies

Challenge 1   Challenge 2

Str: 1      Dex: -       Sta: 4       Cha: 1       Con: 5       Wis:  4

First KM category done! A small one, just to get started: cutlery

Above is before, below after. 

FotorCreated_zpseur1oqjm.jpg

LOL, I had our cutlery sorted like that as well with the kiddie spoons, forks, etc. with the adult ones, and the boys both protested! They wanted their own "hole" for their cutlery. They didn't mind sharing, but their stuff had to be separate. Yours looks good ;)

LOL, I had our cutlery sorted like that as well with the kiddie spoons, forks, etc. with the adult ones, and the boys both protested! They wanted their own "hole" for their cutlery. They didn't mind sharing, but their stuff had to be separate. Yours looks good ;)

Luckily my boys don't mind. I don't have the room to store them separately (well, maybe when I'm done KM'ing the kitchen ;) )

• Like 1
Spoiler