SomeGuyFromScotland II: Come See Me Burn

Hey, fellow Adventurers. I've had this written up for a week or so, just waiting to get it out. Might as well get a stake in the ground early.

Introduction: I joined NF a week before the last 6WC started. At that point, I was five weeks into a new workout routine, and nine weeks into attempting to eat better. There are links to my introduction/origin story and my first challenge in my sig below. Feel free to go rummage around in there. Anyway, my Recruit challenge went well, and now I'm ready to take the next step. Gone from 255lbs at the end of January, to 232 at the start of the last 6WC, to 223 as of right now. Work in progress. There's no specific weight number in mind (yet - this might change as the challenges go on), but I suspect it might be somewhere around the 170-180 range.

Main Quest: I'll lift this straight from challenge 1, it hasn't changed. Dress like a proper grown-up adult man, in clothes which actually look good on me, and make my wife proud to be seen with me when I take her out. The general aim is to overhaul my entire wardrobe by the end of 2015, getting rid of anything which falls into one of the following categories: baggy, sagging or ragged. My specific aim is to get properly fitted for one good quality, tailored, (possibly three-piece) suit, and get a good photograph taken wearing it. I'm sick of being disgusted when I look in the mirror or see a photo of myself.

Quest 1: Burn, Baby, Burn. - COMPLETED

In my last challenge, I set two specific targets. Get to the gym four times a week, and achieve 2 x 200 calorie cross trainer/elliptical burns in one workout (time limit 15 mins per session). The metric used is the Calories Burned display on the machine - it may not be accurate in terms of what I'm actually burning, but it's useful as a benchmark for my progress. When I started the gym at the end of February, it was taking me 30 minutes to burn 200 calories. At the start of the last challenge, I was regularly hitting 150-160 in each 15 minute session, one at the start of the workout, and one to close. By the end of the challenge, I was beating 200 in each session, every time, with a high score of 443 (218 & 225).

Target this time is slightly different, and a little more focused. It'll also let me play with those neat-o sig progress bars. I want to score a cumulative 10,000 in the duration of the challenge, still in blasts of no more than 15 minutes at a time. If I hit the gym four times a week, I'll need to average 209 each session, every workout, to hit that goal. Challenging but achievable.

Also going with the Spezzy Sliding Scale, rather than straight pass/fail.

Achievable Points on offer: +2 STA, +2 DEX

A - 10000+ (Points x 1) - Achieved July 14
B - 9500-10000 (Points x 0.75)
C - 9000-9500 (Points x 0.5)
D - 8500-9000 (Points x 0.25)
F - < 8500 (You get nothing. Good day, Sir!)

Quest 2: The First Squat is the Deepest. - COMPLETED

The mornings are bright and clear, and I wake up early. I will begin each weekday by getting out of bed and doing 3 sets of 8 bodyweight squats (1 set regular, and 1 set Bulgarian Split on each leg.) That's 6 weeks x 5 weekdays.

Achievable Points on offer: +3 STR, +1 DEX

A - 30 Days (Points x 1) - Achieved July 17
B - 25-29 Days (Points x 0.75)
C - 20-24 Days (Points x 0.5)
D - 15-19 Days (Points x 0.25)
F - <15 Days (No! Bad SomeGuyFromSquatland!)

Quest 3: Sugar, Sugar.  - COMPLETED

Last challenge had two separate food/drink challenges, to go completely cold turkey and break my addictions to chocolate/cake/cookies, and fizzy drinks (specifically, diet Coke, Monster, Rockstar, Relentless). Now that I know I can do without, let's see if I can display some restraint and self-control, instead of spiralling into EAT ALL THE CHOCOLATE. This challenge, the foods will be allowed, as long as they 1) are limited to no more than one in any given day, and 2) are accounted for in my daily overall calorie intake. i.e. if I eat one, I have to sacrifice something elsewhere to keep the numbers in check. Let's start being mindful of CI-CO, get a consistent deficit happening, and get the body fat down. The Monster/Rockstar/Relentless is still no-go. If I need caffeine, I'll have coffee (black, no sugar, which is how I take it anyway.) The official metric here will be Days With Deficit.

Achievable Points on offer: +2 CON

A - 41-42 Days (Points x 1) - COMPLETED
B - 40 Days (Points x 0.75)
C - 39 Days (Points x 0.5)
D - 38 Days (Points x 0.25)
F - <38 Days (Abject Fail. You X'd ALL the Y.)

Quest 4: You've Got a Friend! - COMPLETED

Pick a MINIMUM of five ten fellow Nerds to follow, encourage, cajole, creepily stalk, and - wait, what? Okay, maybe not the last one. Unless you're into that. In which case, call me. I'll bring the whipped cream and binoculars.

Achievable Points on offer: +1 CHA

Low points and no grading on offer for this one, because I'll end up just following tons of people again, anyway. It's barely even a challenge, it's a pleasure!

Quest 5: Do the (Book)Worm! - COMPLETED

In an effort to spend less time on pointless endeavours - I'm looking at you, phone and internet! - I will complete THREE books during this challenge, either on my Kindle, or in glorious paper.

They will be:
1. Neil Gaiman - "American Gods" - COMPLETED
2. Stephen R. Covey - "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" - COMPLETED
3. Jim Grassi - "Guts, Grace & Glory: A Football Devotional" - COMPLETED
Achievable Points on Offer: +2 CHA, +2 WIS.

A - Completed 3 books (Points x 1) - Achieved July 3
B - Completed 2 books (Points x 0.66) - Achieved June 30
C - Completed 1 book (Points x 0.33) - Achieved June 14
F - Complete none (You deserve none.)

Minis:
#1: BattlePlan - Done! +1 CHA
#2: Climb That Mountain - Done! +1 STR
#3: Something NEW! - Done! +1 CHA
#4: Limber Up - Done! +1 WIS
#5: Happy 4th of July! - Done! +1 CON
#6: Final Lap - Done! +1 CHA

Motivation: New clothes. I started this year as a 42" waist on my work trousers, a 19" collar shirt, and all of my t-shirts were XXL and even those could feel tight. Progress has been made, and slowly the fat clothes are being shed. If sufficient progress is made by the end of this challenge, I may head to the tailor and take the first step towards the main goal, by getting measured for my suit. If I'm still a little short of where I want to be in terms of measurements (probably looking to get to 34" waist, 15/16" shirt collar, 40/42" chest, around there somewhere) , I'll get some new jeans and shirts instead.

Kind of related to my main quest, I've also told SomeWifeFromScotland that at some point around summer's end, she and I will be going to get a decent "couple" photo taken. Our 17th wedding anniversary is the Friday before this challenge starts, and with us both fighting weight/self-image demons over the years, we haven't had a good photo taken together since our wedding day, just snapshots taken by friends or whatever. Time to rectify that. We've built a good life together, I'd like to have some tangible evidence of that hanging on our wall. So, at the end of this challenge, a line will be drawn in the sand. I'll be booking a photoshoot for us, a date will be set, and there can't be any excuses or putting it off.

Progress (Completed July 19):
Chall2_zpscwskuhjn.jpg

Chall2B_zpsqp7rzfgm.jpg

Sorry, a bit wordy, I know. I figured it'd be best to get as much detail nailed down as possible. No vague challenges here!

Feel free to follow, cajole, encourage, share grumpy cat gifs, PM, smoke signal, telegram, etc. Adventurers Assemble!

• Like 12

~~ VALHALLA, I AM COMING! ~~

Season 1 (2015): #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

Season 2 (2016): #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12  #13 #14 #15 

Season 3 (2017): #16 #17 #18 

.... --- .-- / .- -... --- ..- - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . ..--.. / .. / --. . - / .. -. / - .-. --- ..- -... .-.. . / .. ..-. / .. / ..- ... . / - .... . / -.-. --- -- .--. ..- - . .-. / - --- / ... . -. -.. / ... -- --- -.- . / ... .. --. -. .- .-.. ... .-.-.-

(http://morsecode.scphillips.com/translator.html)

• Like 3

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. - Joan Gussow

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. - Cicero

Current Quest Previous 1 2 3 4 (formerly known as Twibble)

.... --- .-- / .- -... --- ..- - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . ..--.. / .. / --. . - / .. -. / - .-. --- ..- -... .-.. . / .. ..-. / .. / ..- ... . / - .... . / -.-. --- -- .--. ..- - . .-. / - --- / ... . -. -.. / ... -- --- -.- . / ... .. --. -. .- .-.. ... .-.-.-

well-played-sir-well-played-indeed.jpg

Excellent challenge! Stalking you as usual, the only sort I know how to do is the whipped cream and binoculars variant so that'll have to do. 

Also, major coincidence here but American Gods is going to be my next book too! 

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

American Gods is a great book.  I enjoyed how they captured the essence of Odin as the Wanderer.  If you enjoy it I suggest you check out Age of Odin by James Lovegrove, I've alse read Aged of Zues and Age of Ra, but Odin was my favorite of them.  Might I suggest looking at effortlesgent.com for help on dressing like an adult without buying a bunch of superfluous clothes and packing your wadrobe with junk.

• Like 2

A true warrior does not train tirelessly to fight, or to kill. A true warrior trains endlessly that he may return home alive.
-R. Calloway

Maybe the ultimate wound is the one that makes you miss the war you got it in.
- Sebastian Junger

Challenge 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Battle Log

Doodlie PVP Johari Window

Epic Quest Character 

Awesome set up for challenge #2! Popping over to follow again, because you, sir, make me laugh almost as hard as Lizardpits. Wait, has she been introduced over here? Will saying her name cause her to appear?  :ph34r:

• Like 3

Level 4 Halfling Warrior

| STR 9.5 | DEX 0 | STA 4.2 | CON 6.68 | WIS 6.9 | CHA 4.3 |

Current Challenge

--

Get obsessed with consistency in the actions that feed the goal. Getting obsessed with the goal won't work and neither does having moderate goals. It's like thinking about laying down perfect brick after perfect brick rather than going nuts over when you'll see a building emerge.

-- Amir Siddiqui

Quoted in JC Deen's Staying Leaner Longer

Twitter | Instagram | DeviantArt

I shall endeavor not to disappoint!

Had to grab a new shirt for work tonight, I've been desperately recycling the oversized ones. Got a 17.5" collar, should be fine for now. I'm going to try not to buy any more at that size, though. I'll probably pick up a couple of 16.5" at the weekend, and if they don't immediately fit, they'll serve as motivational tools for the first few weeks of the next 6WC.

Chances are I'm going to at least partially start this next 6WC early. The eating part at least. 2 weeks off is too long, and too risky for someone with as little willpower as me. I recognize my limitations. I'll end up eating cheesecake in my underwear if I'm left unchecked.

Mmmmm, boxer short cheesecake....

• Like 2

sounds like you need my old shirts.

35091082.jpg

Quest number #4 is great.  I went from a average bro to getting a whole 8 people subscribed to my thread by just posting in other peoples threads.  Sometimes they say nothing back or its a one time returned post, but some becomes fans friends.  Best thing is it costs you nothing.

• Like 2

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

The general aim is to overhaul my entire wardrobe by the end of 2015, getting rid of anything which falls into one of the following categories: baggy, sagging or ragged.

Hhrmmm, I'm pretty sure I'd only have a few pairs of socks and a pair of shorts if I followed that...

Awesome.

Burn!

casketonfire.jpg

Pick a MINIMUM of five fellow Nerds to follow, encourage, cajole, creepily stalk, and - wait, what? Okay, maybe not the last one. Unless you're into that. In which case, call me. I'll bring the whipped cream and binoculars.

Just 5 for starters, eh? *looks at own post count*

coconut cream instead. Thanks!

The part that's important is within the first 35 seconds.

Okay, I've been having a tinker with the exercise tracker app on my phone, and the food log part is actually better than I realized. I'm going to go full stat-nerd and start logging all my food intake for the next challenge. It'll help keep me mindful and accountable, and more importantly, get that deficit happening. I got this.

• Like 3

First day at work with the smaller size trousers and shirt. I'm unsure if they're a little tight, or if it's just that I'm so used to wearing clown clothes. Either way, it's not the worst problem in the world to have. SomeWifeFromScotland sneaked a cheeky squeeze at my butt this morning while I was getting ready, so I'm willing to go with that being a good sign. :-)

Back on track with the food and exercise after last week's recharge (read: slacking). Food logging with the app has started in earnest, gym session is planned for tonight, and it's all systems go ahead of next week's 6WC kickoff.

• Like 5

Decent healthy dinner in the tank, I'll hit the gym around 9 tonight. Food tracking makes me realize how easy it is to over/underestimate what I've been eating. That app is going to be invaluable, I think.

• Like 4

Wow, this looks incredible.  You sound like you're going to do great in this challenge, man!  I'm rootin' for you!

• Like 1

Elliott - Alaskan Half-Orc, working toward benevolent polymorph spell |  Aspiring Warrior - Ranger

Level 1 Newb: STR 1 - DEX 1 - STA 1 - CON 1 - WIS 1 - CHA 1

Serenity and change, one day at a time. 

Okay, let's get nerdy with numbers.

My Mifflin-St.Jeor BMR is apparently 1832. Light session at the gym tonight to ease back into it after a week burned 350-ish. We'll be generous and call it 2200 total.

Food tracker says 1680 in. CI-CO deficit: 520. I think that sounds reasonably healthy. As a general rule, I'll probably try to eat and burn slightly higher than that, but if I can hit a daily deficit of anywhere between 500-1000, there should be a decent body fat reduction.

• Like 3

Okay, getting a good feel for what I can and can't do before the challenge officially starts on Monday. Went approximately 100 calories over yesterday, which would be a strike against my newly-revised and edited food target, but yesterday was also a no-workout day, so I'm not sweating it too badly. I'm thinking I might go full stat-tard (YOU NEVER GO FULL STAT-TARD!) and start spreadsheeting it up a la Doc Feelgood for this challenge. I like numbers and datas and pretty, pretty charts.

Gym tonight, the plan is. Burn the fat, I shall.

Oh, and Friday is my 17th wedding anniversary, and Chinese food in various forms shall be consumed. At least it's happening in an off week. I'll try to make good life choices.

• Like 4