Probably not eating enough, but not hungry either?

Something has been worrying me a bit of late.

See, I'm still fairly overweight (Don't have access to a scale, but I'm guesstimating I'm around 90kg/198lbs at 175cm/5' 8'') and my diet's not been great these last few months while I was finishing university (no portion control, plenty of biscuits/cookies and chocolate), and I have only been readjusting the way I eat for about two and a half weeks now. I also do the beginner bodyweight workout 3-4 times a week. The aim for the moment is really just weight loss, btw. I'll tackle everything else when I'll get to it. As far as I can tell, things are going well.

The problem is, I've started to count calories last week and was rather shocked to find that the way I've been naturally eating now I'm averaging between 900/1000kcal a day, which according to the internet is almost dangerously low. The thing is though: I'm neither hungry nor fatigued. As in, at all. While uni was still stressing me out I could have eaten half a cow by myself, but yesterday I was struggling to make myself eat a packet of grapes just to meet 1200 calories for the day, despite the fact that it was a workout day.

Any idea what's going on? Should I just continue to do my thing while I'm feeling alright, or should I attempt to at least get to the 1200?

Jelly's Quest for a Healthy Weight

(Heaviest 140kg | starting weight 93kg | goal 74kg)

0%
0%

Babyfish's First 6 Week Challenge

Level 0 Recruit | 0 STR | 0 DEX | 0 STA | 0 CON | 0 WIS | 0 CHA

Honestly? This is going to sound harsh. If you're losing weight and you're not feeling fatigued at that low calorie count...

You're likely not accurately counting calories. Do you weigh your food? Use measuring spoons when cooking in oil/using spreads? I used to do the same thing. I thought I was eating 900 calories eyeballing portion sizes based on the labels. And then realized that my oil measurements and peanut butter intake was WAY over what I thought a portion was- that was an under-reporting of 600 or more calories. Crazy how many calories small things like oil and peanut butter have. 

Lastly if you're not fatigued don't push yourself to eat more. If you start feeling fatigued/dizzy then the first thing to look at would be intake and looking to increase it but if you're not feeling those effects then you're fine. 

Edit: I also don't know your stats- this is an assumption that you're over 5 feet tall and over 95 lbs, as the safe deficit for a person 5 foot 95 pounds is about 1,000 calories. 

• Like 2

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Thanks for the reply!

I do meassure and weigh everything I cook, although my scales are mechanical rather than digital, so that should count for some inaccuracy. However, I also tend to round up measurments when counting, just to be on the safe side. Perhaps I should just double check using another calorie counting thing? These past days I've been going with the NHS website.

Also, does the fact that I'm very sedentary outside of my workout days matter greatly in this context?

As I said, I'm 5' 8'' and at least 198lbs, which is why I'm so worried about this.

• Like 1

0%
0%

No need to worry, don't eat more if you feel fine is the rule of thumb. Are you losing doing what you're doing? If so keep at it, if you start losing a lot fast and start feeling light headed and woozy it's time to re-evaluate. Do you eat foods you don't weight (dressings, whole fruits, breads, etc.) 

I use this calculator, I under reported my exercise to not eat calories back but it has a sedentary setting too so that should work.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

That's what I thought initially. It's not like I'm purposefully starving myself, I just make sure I snack on vegetables and such if I am hungry during the day and don't eat bread anymore.

I must admit I don't usually weigh fruit, but go with estimates found online instead. However, I don't usually have more than one piece of fruit a day, so I don't think it'd be adding up to ridiculous numbers. 

It's a bit too early to tell how things are progressing, as I only started watching what I eat again about two weeks ago and don't have access to scales.

• Like 1

0%
0%

That's what I thought initially. It's not like I'm purposefully starving myself, I just make sure I snack on vegetables and such if I am hungry during the day and don't eat bread anymore.

I must admit I don't usually weigh fruit, but go with estimates found online instead. However, I don't usually have more than one piece of fruit a day, so I don't think it'd be adding up to ridiculous numbers. 

It's a bit too early to tell how things are progressing, as I only started watching what I eat again about two weeks ago and don't have access to scales.

Yep I'd take it in stride, measure when you get a chance (tape measure is the best way tbh if you're looking for a cheap and more accurate way to measure progress!) and then re-evaluate in a few weeks!

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG