Hi fellow Assassins! I'm Godnattish. If you don’t know me, I’m the young, somewhat cocky guy with huge goals :rolleyes-new:. Welcome!

Here is a link to my previous challenge. I did some pretty awesome stuff, but nothing compared to what you’re about to witness!

My Main Quest: "To Free My Body"

Everything society and our environment tells us is making us less free, we are slaves, and it's getting worse every single second you're not actively doing something to prevent it. If you just go along like everyone else, work 9-5, get wife, achieve kids, buy what society tells you to buy, watch what you're told to watch, YOU ARE A SLAVE. You need to break free. 

This is my quest, and it's not something you ever reach, because the moment you think you achieved it and consider yourself "done" or "content", you are by definition a slave again. It's a process and the closest you can ever come towards the goal is to keep pursuing. 

Free your body.

The practical application and pursuit of this is to improve myself every day, in every aspect. To do something that takes me towards my goal, and be done with it, wake up the next day without any worry about yesterday, do something that moves me towards my goal, and be done with it.

A necessity for this is to be open-minded, there is NO progress or improvement if you're not open-minded. It's so easy to get stuck in comfort, in a routine, a lifestyle etc. If you ever find yourself doing the same thing every day, CHANGE IT COMPLETELY. There is nothing worse than being stagnant.

I’m in a weird phase of my life. I worked as a (bloody) salesman for a couple of months last year, and earned way too much money (using skills, not lies, I might add). Luckily, I’m a clever young man, and I got out of the business before I got stuck. This has resulted in me not â€having†to work. I plan on studying (Sports Science) this fall. So for now, I train. That’s it. I invest all my time & energy into growing as a human being, physically & mentally.

I’m happy to say that my previous challenge made me a full-on Assassin. I was the gym guy lifting weights, but somewhere during my last challenge I completely fell in love with training outdoors. I’ve been training outdoors 2x/day for weeks now, and I certainly won't stop! I also fell in love with using gymnastic rings, and I’ve seen great progress with them, so expect a lot of my challenges to be connected to the almighty rings :rolleyes-new:

I do, however, still fucking love lifting heavy shit. The more I fall in love with training outdoors, the more I love the feel of the barbell back at the gym. I believe I’ve found the perfect training recipe (for me). I use rings for upper body, and I use weight & plyometrics for lower body (for strength training, that is). As Ido Portal says: â€The upper body craves complexity, the lower body intensityâ€. I have found this to be very true. I will use weights for my lower body training, and I will have some goals for this, as-well!

I’m following GMBs programs at the moment. Ring training, floor training (hand-balancing, tumbling etc), movement practice, stretching. All GMB. I love GMB:D. 

Well, I’ll stop ranting and get into my goals for this challenge. Brace yourselves.

Yang:
Goal 1 - 200kg (440lbs) Deadlift. (2 STR (+1 CHA if done beautifully, decided by you!))
The deadlift is my favorite lift, which is convenient, since it’s also (by far) the most important. I’m a strong deadlifter. For a couple of months I’ve been working with sub-maximal weights to develop my deadlift speed (mostly because of my focus for the previous challenge). 
My all time PR for the deadlift is 190kg (418lbs), that was back in February when I weighted 86kg (190lbs). I weight around 78kg (172lbs) now. I don’t want to â€grind†a 200kg deadlift, I want it to look pretty, and FAST. That’s what I’ve been working on since February, and now it’s time to get back to lifting heavy & pushing my boundaries, while maintaining the explosiveness & speed. LET’S GET IT!

Goal 2 - Rebalance myself using Front Squats. (2 CON, 1 STR, 1 CHA)
I realized that I've been doing the low-bar squat exclusively for almost a year. The low-bar position works the posterior chain. This coupled with deadlifts (which also works the posterior chain mostly) has developed a pretty bad imbalance. I also realized that deadlifting & squatting very heavy each week is more detrimental than beneficial considering my other goals. My goal for this challenge will therefore be to work the Front Squat. The front squat is superior to the back squat for posture, flexibility and teaching proper form. It's impossible to do the Front Squat if you're imbalanced, it will highlight your weaknesses big-time! I want to become very good at front squats, because that will carry over greatly when I go back to heavy squats again, and will ensure I have proper form and no imbalances! The goal is not necessarily to increase the weight on Front Squats, but to learn absolutely perfect form, then increase the weight while maintaining that perfect form!

Goal 3 - Bent Arm Stand. (2 STR, 1 DEX, 1 WIS)
I’m a member of GMBs â€Alpha Posseâ€. They have monthly challenges with awesome prices. This months challenge was just released and I quickly decided that I’m going to win. The challenge is on the Bent Arm Stand. Most progress in 4 weeks wins. The challenge ends 30th June.
350x350_bentarmstand2.jpg

Goal 4 - (Ring) Muscle-Up -> L-Sit -> Shoulder-Stand -> L-Sit. (2 STR, 1 DEX, 1 STA)
This is the big one. I see little to no use in having a single skill if you can’t apply it probably. This is the basis of GMBs philosophy. The last phase of every GMB program they have a couple of weeks called â€flow masteryâ€. This means putting everything you learned from the program together into a â€flowâ€. This mini-flow starts at the bottom. You do a Muscle-Up to get above the rings, then go straight into a L-Sit, you immediately â€roll†back into a full shoulder stand, then back to the L-Sit. Very beautiful, very impressive, very hard. I look forward to being able to do this!
3o85xJD1AfgfMsWCrK.gif

Goal 5 - Improve overall conditioning & 60m time. (1-4 STA)
I’ve been slacking on my conditioning lately. It’s still great, don’t get me wrong. 2 session daily with gymnastic style training goes a long way conditioning wise, but I want more. I’ll be combining sprints with longer distance running. I’ll measure my time before the challenge in a 60m (65yards) sprint. Stat points awarded depends on my progress!

Sprint time. Before: 8.9s, After:
giphy.gif

Yin:
Goal 6 - 30s Freestanding Handstand. (1 DEX, 1 STA, 2 WIS, 1 CHA)
What’s strength if you can’t control your own body? I believe balance is the most underrated aspect in fitness. I follow GMBs â€Floor 1†which is all about motor control. Tumbling, jumps & hand-balancing to name a few aspects. I’ve seen great improvements in my handstands lately. I was very scared to do them a month ago, now I can kick-up against the wall with ease and â€float†of the wall for 5-10s. I’ve yet to nail the freestanding consistently, but with all the preparation work GMB focuses on (holding a perfect handstand 60s+ against the wall before progressing etc), I’m certain I will get good at a freestanding handstand once it's time for that progression, and all the drilling of the basic will pay off.  
handstand.jpg

Goal 7 - Pistol Squat. (1 DEX, 1 CON) 
My ankle flexibility sucks. It has improved lately, but it’s still my weakest link. Working towards the Pistol Squat forces me to get good ankle flexibility, hence, it's a great goal for me.
pistol.jpg

Goal 8 - Front Split Progression. (1-3 CON)
My previous flexibility oriented challenge was the Full Bridge, I nailed it. I feel like it's time to tackle them splits. It will be completely humiliating but I want to achieve both splits this year. For this challenge I'll start working on the Front Split. It's certainly nothing you achieve in 6 weeks, so I'll award stat points depending on my progress. Expect before & after photos!
Split3.jpg

Goal 9 - Meditation. (2 WIS)
I want to meditate more. For this challenge I'll meditate 2 times every day, preferably after each of my training sessions (as part of cool-down, after stretches). No set time, but aiming for above 10min per session!
meditation_sun.jpg

Side goals:
Get & stay below 7% body-fat
Very straight forward. I track my body-fat weekly & count my macros daily. I’m currently at 7.4% body-fat (not accurate numbers). My goal is to get below 7% (on my caliper) and stay below for the entire challenge.

Find an apartment for this fall
As I mentioned above, I’m going to study this fall. I want to find my own apartment in the city where the school is located. I’ll know if I’m accepted to my program by June/July, and I’ll start looking for an apartment right away! 

Finish another round of Elements
Elements was the first program I did from GMB. It's the foundation, the very basics that you then build upon. I've chose to restart this & really master & perfect the basics. The importance of having a bullet-proof foundation cannot be stressed enough! 

There it is friends! Same as last challenge, a video (of me) demonstrating every single goal must be uploaded on this thread prior to 19th July for me to pass this challenge. 

I'm honored if you choose to follow me for this challenge! I promise active updates with videos of me and my progress towards my goals. 

Let's smash this!

Godnattish!

• Like 3

Level: 3 - Assassin || STR: 4 | DEX: 9 | STA: 0 | CON: 7 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 9

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge - The Verdict

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.†- Friedrich Nietzsche 

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Samuel Johnson

Yep, exactly what I thought; your challenge is pure badassery. ^^

If you push through with the same intensity as your last challenge, you'll destroy this challenge too! Will be following closely, firstly because your goals are awesome and also because your challenges are super motivational.  :D

Best of luck! :D

• Like 2

Assassin - Level 3 

STR: 6 | STA: 3 | DEX: 1 | CON: 6 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 1

Challenge 1 - RESTART -  Challenge 2

You know what to expect by now!!  :onthego:  :peaceful:  :playful:

Same intensity as last challenge? Hell no! I always turn things up :rapture:

It means a bunch that I can be inspiring & motivational! It's also another reason for me to push a bit harder! 

Thanks for your support friend! It goes right back to you!  :rolleyes-new:

Current Challenge

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.†- Friedrich Nietzsche 

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Samuel Johnson

So many goals! So much wow! Many swear! 

Much following.

QUbpcfv.gif

*I promise never to post on your thread in doge-speak again. 

• Like 1

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

STR 0 | DEX 0 | CON | STA 0 | WIS 0 |CHA 0 

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

A MILLION BILLION GOALS.

But that's okay cause you'll blow them away.

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

So many goals! So much wow! Many swear! 

Much following.

*I promise never to post on your thread in doge-speak again. 

Yey! Glad to have you here salambander! Doge language is allowed on this thread btw :redface-new: ! 

A MILLION BILLION GOALS.

But that's okay cause you'll blow them away.

Yep! I'll need to stay very focused & cycle the goals to avoid getting overwhelmed!

I will blow them away indeed :rolleyes-new:

Current Challenge

Love the write-up, love the goals, and I would love if this challenge you would focus a bit in your updates on the GMB stuff you are doing. For Paris, which will still be a relatively long way from now, I won't have weights and I am VERY MUCH considering buying a few GMB programs. In fact, I almost entirely decided already to ask one for my birthday at the very least! So I would love to hear how you do on those programs!

• Like 1

Thanks!

GMB sure will be the biggest part of this challenge (by far). I follow 4 GMB programs at the moment! The only thing I don't follow from GMB is for my lifting, haha! So you're sure to get great insights on GMB in general and my thoughts on the programs!! :peaceful: 

(And when you see my progress, you'll buy the programs for sure :playful:  :playful:

Current Challenge

Checking in to follow along :) Certainly last challenge you didn't disappoint in terms of intensity and progress. I hope you have similar fortune this time and no setbacks. I'll be watching closely as we're working on similar things. Looking forward to it! :)

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Checking in to follow along :) Certainly last challenge you didn't disappoint in terms of intensity and progress. I hope you have similar fortune this time and no setbacks. I'll be watching closely as we're working on similar things. Looking forward to it! :)

Yey! Welcome friend! I certainly won't disappoint!  :pride:

Let's push each other & nail this together man! Looking forward to it as-well!  :rolleyes-new:

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Quick update!

I assessed my 60m (66 yards) sprint time today and it was 8.9s. Not very happy with that. My sprinting technique is really bad too. A lot of room for improvements though! I'm sure I'll get below 8s this challenge!

I also ran 800m, and unfortunately I got pretty winded (not like I didn't have anything left, but way more winded than I'd like to be after 800m). It was a very long time ago I ran long distances, so it will be a huge challenge to run a 5k later this week. I'll post my time for the 5k later this week (and the time I hope to get at the end of the challenge). 

Current Challenge

Like a 5k competition or just something you yourself said you'd do? I'm guessing the latter. Do you like running 5k? I think I would like sprinting FAR better than the relatively long distance! 

Like a 5k competition or just something you yourself said you'd do? I'm guessing the latter. Do you like running 5k? I think I would like sprinting FAR better than the relatively long distance! 

No I hate it haha :numbness:

But I feel like my long (aerobic) conditioning is a weak link in my overall fitness, and a 5k (I believe) is a good demonstration of that. I won't be running 5ks weekly, I'll do other things to work on my conditioning, and only use a 5k to compare my progress :rolleyes-new:.

And yes! Sprinting and other anaerobic activities are far more fun, and they are also what I'm good/better at :pride:.

Current Challenge

Some further changes to my challenge!

I updated Goal 5. I will not be trying to improve my 5k time, it's simply not in my interest. What I'm after is killer stamina and endurance. I'll be including light jogs (starting at 20min) 4 times per week. I'll also get creative and do intense "movement circuits" a couple times per week (I'll explain those further when it's time :rolleyes-new:). The 60m sprint challenge stays the same, though!

I also added a whole new goal! GOAL 9! Check it out :playful::pride:!!

Current Challenge

Yay, more meditation!

Yep! Can't really get to much of it! There's something very special to meditate after a training session! Especially if the sun is shining & you're happy with your performance!  :rolleyes-new:  :peaceful:

Another update to the challenge as-well haha! I completely changed goal 2 after todays heavy squats. Leaving my ego behind and focusing on what truly matters!  :panda:

Current Challenge

Ooh, it will be interesting to see how the front squat works for your... I always find it really uncomfortable on the shoulders whichever arm position I use :S

Have you had any physical adventures this week, or just planning?

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Ooh, it will be interesting to see how the front squat works for your... I always find it really uncomfortable on the shoulders whichever arm position I use :S

Have you had any physical adventures this week, or just planning?

Yeah! I havn't done them in forever, but back when I did do them they were very uncomfortable! It will be fun to see if they feel better now since I really worked on mobility etc since then! As I said, they really highlight your weaknesses, if your Front Squat is fucked up, you're fucked up :rapture:.

Yeah! I'm keeping it up as always, 2 sessions daily, one focusing on balance & mobility (Yin) and the other on speed & strength (Yang)! Seeing great progress overall but can't wait to start tackling my goals in a more focused manner next week! :peaceful:

Current Challenge

Alright guys!! It's finally time (almost). I'm EXTREMELY exited to get this started! I've made even more changes to my challenge the last days. I've completly changed goal 3 and goal 8, check out what these new goals are :rolleyes-new:!!

Let's get practical! HOW will I attain my goals? Like this:

Goal 1: Deadlift
I’m going to do something very, very different here. I’m not actually gonna follow a program. I have always followed a program to the T for my lifts. I’ve always known exactly what I was gonna lift weeks in advance. I feel like I’m at a point in my training where I know my body very well, and I’m experienced enough to know the principles needed to gain strength. I’ll be going by feel every lifting session, doing what I feel my body needs that day. Every session will, however, include some form of deadlifts (conventional, sumo, speed, paused, slow-mo, deficit, racked and so on). Not following a strict program is a challenge in itself for me.

Now: Previous PR back in January 190kg. Haven't lifted above 180kg since..

Goal 2: Front Squats

Every lifting session after deadlifts. Keeping reps low & sets high to focus on proper technique. RPT must be 9 or above before I’m even allowed to increase weight. It’s about posture & technique, not weight. Starting weight is 60kg (135lbs) for sets of 5. 

Now: Video off current form next Wednesday.

Goal 3: Bent Arm Stand
The Alpha Posse challenge includes videos & assistance from educated trainers. The main component to improve the Bent Arm Stand is the Bent Arm Bear! I’ll demonstrate this move in a video later on:) 

Now: Can’t hold a Bent Arm Stand even 0.01s.

Goal 4: (Ring) Muscle-Up -> L-Sit -> Shoulder-stand
Following GMBs Rings 1. Currently working on Baby Muscle-Ups & Tuck to Tuck Shoulder-stands (starting in a Tucked L-Sit, rolling into a tucked shoulder-stand). The shoulder-stands are my weakest link on rings for sure, hence my biggest focus. 

Now: Struggling with tucked shoulder stands & can't do a Muscle-Up comfortably.

Goal 5: Conditioning
Sprint training 2-3x/week. Varying distances, rest times etc.
For aerobic conditioning I will do light jogs 4x/week, starting at 20min.
I’ll also do intense circuits & flows.

Now: 60m time 8.9s. I recorded it and will release the video along with the after video;)

Goal 6: 30s Handstand
This is a pretty huge goal since I can’t hold a freestanding handstand at all right now. Handstands are a big part of Floor 1, but I will also (have to) do handstands in a â€greasing the groove†fashion. That means I’ll do 6-10 sets of 6-10 reps throughout the day, one set every hour or so.

Now: Can comfortably kick up and hold a wall handstand (for 60s+), never (fully) attempted a freestanding.

Goal 7: Pistol Squat
4 dedicated sessions a week. I’ll be using GMBs progressions (http://gmb.io/pistol-squat/) & do it for time, not reps. Maybe 10-20min each session. I’ll add this to my greasing the groove practice (after the handstands) later on if needed.

Now: Can’t lower myself without falling back because of lacking ankle mobility (and balance).

Goal 8: Front Split Progression
Daily sessions including:
  1. Focused Flexibility stretches for the Front Split: 
  • Supine Hip Rotations
  • Hamstring Variations
  • Kneeling Lunge variations
  • Kneeling Quadriceps stretch
  • Camel
  1. Front Split Progression. There are videos directly on progressions towards the splits included in Focused Flexibility, I’ll be follow those progressions after the above stretches.
Now: Will post a before pic on Monday.

Goal 9: Meditation
Getting use to finishing my training sessions with meditation. Building that habit.

Now: Meditating some almost daily, but not regularly and not always focused enough.

Expect videos featuring my progress for all my goals weekly!

Current Challenge

Pleased you got some plans for these goals :) I've made the mistake before of choosing lots of cool goals and then not having a plan and failing most of them. You're not being that naïve.

For the freestanding handstands, I'd recommend learning early on how to do one of the bails out of the handstand (the most useful is the pirouette bail). This means that you won't be at all scared of kicking up too hard and falling over onto your back, and learning to balance is much easier. It took me 5 months to get from being able to kick up but not balance... to holding 10-second handbalances while walking on my hands (I still can't keep still) so getting to 30 seconds in 42 days is a hard goals, like you said, but I hope you make lots of progress. I'll be interested to know what you find helps you learn, in case I'm missing anything in my own training.

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

Failing to plan is planning to fail :playful:

Yeah! Being comfortable bailing is easily my weakest link for the freestanding, it's also the reason why I have not really ever fully committed to even trying one. I actually practiced some bailing yesterday by doing jumps to front rolls etc. I really need to work my cartwheel so I can comfortably pirouette/cartwheel out of it! It's the first step just as you said :peaceful:.

It will be fun to see how I handle this one for sure, haha!  :rolleyes-new:

Current Challenge

I'd suggest not worrying about your cartwheels (mine were crap/non-existent when I learned to pirouette bail) but instead you can practise kicking up into a handstand (but not high enough so you won't be scared or in danger) and then lifting up one hand and landing on the foot of the same side (e.g., I lift my right hand and land on my right leg). Once that feels a natural movement, kick up into a higher handstand and bail out the same way. Then if you kick up too hard then you can still bail safely. Last summer I made a video of my progress (in my signature if you want to see it) where I learned to pirouette bail and then hold a handstand for seveal seconds. I think you'll progress faster than me though, because you train more and already have experience doing handstands against the wall :)

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin