Interesting! Deadlifts without a plan.. we usually say any program is better than no program, but maybe you'll proof that wrong? :) 

With the handstands, make sure you keep an eye on how your wrists are doing, you probably know this, but thought I'd mention it to be sure. And the best thing I ever did for handstands was get someone to help me by being a fake security blanket.

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Yeah, 1 month ago I'd have said a program is a must! I figured I would benefit from exploring and challenging myself to stay focused and disciplined without a set program! I'm confident I'll make it work:)!

Yeah! I had major wrist program in the past, so I'm extremely careful about my wrist now! I warm them up 5-10min every session, even if I'm just training legs:p

First day is done btw! Going to watch Mad Max now! I'll post how my first day went later tonight or tomorrow:)

• Like 1

Level: 3 - Assassin || STR: 4 | DEX: 9 | STA: 0 | CON: 7 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 9

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge - The Verdict

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.†- Friedrich Nietzsche 

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Samuel Johnson

BOOM! So first day is in the books. I'll try to log differently for this challenge, trying to make it more interesting to follow for you guys, not just notes to myself etc.

The first session yesterday (which I call "Yin") I did some balancing exercises like pirouettes, 180° jumps and Front & Back Scales.

I also began my journey towards the Pistol Squat using the first progression, which simply is a Roll Up to Squat. I really suck at this move due to bad ankle flexibility & really long legs. 

I did some animal locatives, the bear, the monkey and the frogger, which are the bases of GMBs "Elements" program which I recently restarted. This was the first day of week two, which consisted of assessing where I'm at with the most basic version of every move. Here's a video so you guys can play around with the moves yourselves! :panda:

I finished session 1 with my Front splits progression. I took a before picture, and it was not pretty to say the least. I'll release this before picture with the after pic in 6 weeks! :playful:

Session 2 (called "Yang") I kicked off with some explosive Push-Ups, which have gotten even better since last challenge! Then it was time for my "Above the Rings" session. The first two exercises are the basis of my ring goal for this challenge (a long way to go for sure!).

I finished this session working on my sprinting technique, leg stride, elbow drive etc. I will focus on getting the proper technique for sprinting before actually starting my sprinting training. 

I did not do enough handstands throughout the day. I did maybe 10 sets in total. I want to do above 30 sets throughout the day, so I'll have to step it up! :onthego:  :onthego:

Current Challenge

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.†- Friedrich Nietzsche 

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" - Samuel Johnson

Those pike pushups and normal pushups on the rings look absolutely brutal! Loved both videos. I think I will include the forward travelling frogger in my frogger practice. I'm only doing the one that progresses into a handstand right now, but that one just seems like fun and not scary because it doesn't hint at being upside down! Do you work on your ankle flexibility with focused flexibility? Or is that not really possible? I do modified downdog, and I know that's more hamstrings but still... Are your hamstrings okay then and is it just the ankle? 

Btw, isn't elements too easy for you? Anyhow, I would love to hear in detail how you do elements, since that together with vitamin and then floor1 (yes in that order) is on my to buy list as workouts to do when in France!

• Like 1

They are brutal haha! Just simply turning the rings out makes everything so darn hard, I love it hehe :peaceful:!

The frogger is awesome, but it's my worst of the three for sure! I need to work on it as-well :rolleyes-new:. I did the Modified Downward Dog A TON but it really didn't help my ankles (much). What helped my ankle flexibility the most this far is actually the bear & frogger! My hamstring were my weakest link when I began but now I don't consider them limiting at all :peaceful:! My weak links flexibility-wise right now are my adductors & ankles.

I think it's bad for your development to consider anything "too easy". The basics are what everything is built upon, even if I don't get physically challenged by the basic bear, monkey & frogger doesn't mean there's great value in doing them :rolleyes-new:! Even Ryan (who demonstrates all the moves for GMB, and is extremely skilled) says he does the basic Bear, Monkey & Frogger every single day!

Next week in Elements it's time for variation of the three moves, so I'll share some more fun moves to try :nevreness:! (And it will also prove that Elements aren't actually too easy :rapture:)

Current Challenge

Haha true, that makes sense. I never thought it would be too easy for me, because those things are all hard for me I think, but you seem advanced in my eyes. :P Although I admit you don't look like the GMB guys when they do the bear and the frogger etc, so there's definitely work for you there ;) 

Yes I once visited a friend and he had rings, it simply amazed me how hard everything with rings is, all the stabilizing muscles you don't really use otherwise come into play and I was humbled immediately. :P

• Like 1

Well done dude !

A problem with FF is that it doesn't have any kind of soleus stretch. In other words the muscle that limit your ROM with a bent leng. If you want to improve your squatting position i believe it's the muscle that you need to stretch.

Source : Master the squat and hip mobility

• Like 1

LVL 2          Vampire       

" It's about the journey."

"When ? Now. Where ? Here. Who ? Us."

Rock Solid Penguin challenge

My last challenge

Well done dude !

A problem with FF is that it doesn't have any kind of soleus stretch. In other words the muscle that limit your ROM with a bent leng. If you want to improve your squatting position i believe it's the muscle that you need to stretch.

Source : Master the squat and hip mobility

Yeah, I thought about that as-well! I did do a lot of the basic soleus stretches for a while without much progress. It seems like my ankle/calf just need to get used to moving and being in a deep squat, no static stretches has really helped with it so far :neglected: . 

That Master the Squat program from Kit seems really awesome though! Might have to buy it :numbness:  :playful:

Current Challenge

Week 1, Day 2

Session 1 consisted off tumbling moves for Floor 1! Cartwheels, Front & back rolls etc! I sucked at this just a couple of weeks ago but I'm quickly learning and improving!
For Elements I focused only on the basic bear for about 5 minutes.

The Front split stretches really test my patience. It's not very fun to do the same stretches every day, and I'm not a fan of the stretches either. It has to be done though, and it will be done (every day). :pride:

Session 2 was my favorite "Below the Rings" session. The moves in Phase 2 of Rings 1 for below the rings are crazy BRUTAL. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the Skin the Cat Rolls to Chin-Up (second move in video) are as brutal as near max-effort deadlifts or squats. I'm really developing a love/hate relationship with them (just as the one I have with heavy squats :playful:). Before the session, and before every set, I fear them big-time, but after every set, and after the session I get the most wonderful feeling one can ever achieve :rolleyes-new::redface-new::peaceful:! I finished this session off with a very fun "Animal Tabata Flow" which I invented :rapture:. I did the monkey, frogger, bear and crab walk as quickly as I could for 16 intervals of 20s high intensity & 10s rest (8min total).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgKReJeYNzM&list=PLPO7L_RG2uadkGMFazsKRpUp3riiHdo3M&index=26&spfreload=10

A great day overall! Tomorrow it's time to hit the gym for Deadlifts & Front Squats! It will be fun because this is the first time EVER that I walk into the gym without a set program. Come back tomorrow to see how it worked for me :rapture::pirate:
  • Like 1

Current Challenge

Week 1, Day 3

Session 1 was my gym session! I began with some Deadlifts. I tried some paused Deadlifts, they are really brutal for sure! Pausing just after lifting off the floor completely throws you off and forces you to stay that much tighter! It's an really awesome way to train the Deadlift! Before you guys start freaking out that my upper back is rounded for the paused deadlifts, I'm aware of this and it's on purpose :pride:!

I followed up with my Front Squat focusing on the form. I need to keep the weight more toward my heels for these, and not let the weight come forward. I also need to push my elbows up at all times! 

Then I did some explosive exercises. Weighted box jumps were really challenging and fun! :peaceful:

I was on fire this session for sure. I did 1 min of speed rope between every single set and finished the session going all out on the heavy bag for tabata intervals (4 rounds aka 16min). It was good too see that my conditioning is top notch still, my anaerobic conditioning, that is :rolleyes-new:

Session 2 it was Floor 1 time, today was hand-balancing day! Crow holds, Double Arm Levers & Handstands :rapture:! I practiced a lot of handstand bailing today. Headstand to forward roll for example. I'm getting more comfortable with it, but I know that what I really need to do is just STFU and try a freestanding handstand. My wall handstands are looking really good btw. I "found" this cue that I should "look through my eyebrows" down towards the floor. This is a great way to transfer some weight and float of the wall! I can float off the wall 5-10s pretty frequently. :redface-new:

I finished the session with some Movement exploration & free flows. I'm really starting to crave movement. I always train barefoot outdoors and I really feel so much better mentally and physically by being in touch with nature. There's no doubt that we (humans) are meant to move in nature daily. :panda:

Now it's time to go eat a shit-load of food (like every evening), foam roll like crazy and get ready for tomorrow! :pride:

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Paused deadlifts? You are crazy haha :P I'm always happy enough to get the weight moving in the first place :P 

So you liked the gym without plan session? It does sound like you got a good workout in! 

• Like 1

Haha! They are a great exercise! Really makes you stay tight and really "dominate" the weight :playful:

Yeah it was ok. It was kinda weird to not look at my phone for notes, but I'm not worried that I won't progress since I love pushing myself as it is anyway :rapture:! I think I'll do good without a plan! Time will tell!  :rolleyes-new:

Current Challenge

Week 1 Summary:

What’s been good:
  • Nice progress on Rings, especially shoulder stands & L-sits.
  • Lost plenty amounts of fat, looking more ripped. I’ll cut for another week then jump back into a small caloric surplus.
What’s been bad:
  • Have not followed my plan for Handstands.
  • Sprints feels crappy. My hip or knee seem to hurt as soon as I go all out for sprints, so I always back down. I feel no pain whatsoever until I begin sprinting. Very annoying.
  • My body is quite worn down. I've crashed and fell asleep in the bathtub a couple of days in a row. I skipped my lifting today and did a whole stretching session following Kit Laughlin's "Master the Squat" program. I'll rest tomorrow as-well and be ready to rock as usual on Monday!
What needs to happen next week:
  • Change my plan for Handstand practice. Instead of trying to do handstands throughout the day I will do 5 sets before every session (as warm-up), and 5 sets after every session (as cool-down) for a total of 20 sets each day.
  • FoamRoll more, aiming for 30min each day. Optimally just after waking up & just before bed. Hopefully this will help me keep up with my sprinting.
  • Simplify my "Yin" sessions. They will be more focused around movement exploration,play and flexibility from here on.

I'm as confident as before the challenge that I'll reach all my goals. I did expect bumps on the road, so I'm not caught of guard.

ba55346e8cd76b09cf29f91c02dcc240.jpgb52e4887acdaf3f5cb1e624c25b58ca7.jpg

Keep going friends! 

Current Challenge

Good work, as ever! A couple of pointers:

• maybe the calorific deficit is making you tired and fall asleep in the bathtun etc.?
  • do you sprint on hard ground? Possibly it's the impact being bad for your knees, and you could safely sprint faster on softer ground
  • personally I'd avoid handstands when the body is weak from training - the general protocol for epic training sessions is (1) warm-up (2) skills (3) compound strength (4) isolation strength - so if you are doing things from more than one of those sections, then you should make sure they come in an appropriate order

Looking forward to next week :)

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Maybe it's the calories yes, as SymphonicDan suggests. Or the rest days. Or both. I know you don't like a full on rest day, but maybe you should have more days that are your active rest days? Or make the active rest days even more gentle on you? I'm sure you will figure out the balance anyway, but just know that I'm rooting for you :) 

Thanks guys.

I'm feeling better already. I'm sure it was a combination of everything. It's nothing major at all, just me not being as tip-top as usual;)!

Current Challenge

Haha, yep of course:p

It looks very exciting but I need to calm myself and not overwhelm myself xD! I will get it in the future for sure though:)!!

Current Challenge

Hehe yep, thanks for the tip mate!  :peaceful:

Yeah my technique ain't good. That's actually what I've been focusing on recently though, elbow drive, stride lengths etc. I'm not too worried about my knees, it's not a pain at all, and it's rarely even a discomfort, it's more in my hips when I approach top speed. It might be because I sprint after my ring training and maybe I don't warm my legs up enough and they are stiff after 1.5h of upper body work. I'll try to warm-up a lot next time (tomorrow, actually :rapture:)!

I'm so amped up for the next week! I feel fully recovered as predicted! :pride: My mind is on point and I know this week will be my best yet (ever). I'll make insane progress this week, I can feel it! :pride:

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Glad you are back in action and roaring to go. Your handstand plan sounds a bit ambitious and it might be better to stick with the bulk of your practice at the start of a workout like Dan suggested. You can definitely benefit from handstand against the wall post-workout, though. While it isn't as exciting as freestanding practice, you'll get to work the same muscles with the support of the wall in more of a conditioning fashion instead of the more skill-based freestanding practice.

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Yeah I agree it was a bit ambitious. What I've been doing this week so far is doing a couple of sets (5+) after my warm-up just before I jump into my session, then a couple of light sets (on wall) after my session before I cool-down & stretch. It has been working really good, the handstand seems like a really great way to get a feel for where you are that day so you can adjust how hard you can go for that session! :rolleyes-new:

I've also seen huge improvements in my handstands recently! I'm getting the hang of how to adjust my weight to rebalance, it's not rare that I hold a full handstand for 5s+ before I even touch the wall when I kick-up against a wall! So it's looking good for the handstands right now :peaceful:!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Update

Goal 1 (Deadlift):

My Deadlift was extremely weak last week, I struggled to lift 160kg, I redeemed myself today and pulled 170x3 beltless. Felt extremely good, and the 200kg DL seems just a bit closer!

Goal 2 (Front Squat): 

Video above!

Form is improving, depth is great!

Goal 3 (Bent Arm Stand):

Doing the Bent Arm Bear daily (to condition for the Bent Arm Stand), I can almost do the Bent Arm Stand on parallel bars, I have another week to learn to do it on the floor!

Current Challenge

Goal 4 (Ring Flow): 

Muscle-Ups & shoulder-stands are progressing nicely! Still a way to go to full extension on shoulder-stands, but I’ve been improving these A TON recently so I see no reason that will stop.

Goal 5 (Conditioning): 
I’m slacking on sprints (as-usual) but I’ve been incorporating HIIT 4-5 times per week using the heavy bag at the gym or animal movements at a high intensity (which is really damn fun & tough btw).

Goal 6 (Handstand):
Progressing slowly. I’m starting to understand how to rebalance etc, and I’m not as scared of falling. My biggest challenge here sure is mental, I have the prerequisites to get this quickly, I just need to get past the fear and mental barrier. 

Goal 7 (Pistol Squat):
Feeling good. I’m going through the progressions quickly. No doubts I’ll get this one.

Goal 8 (Front Splits):
My overall flexibility is improving greatly, so my front splits should be improving as-well! I’ll keep my focus on mobility up and I’m sure the progress will be great!

Goal 9 (Meditation):
I’m feeling more mindful for sure, more in-tune with my body. I do not meditate strictly 2 times a day tho, I find myself meditating here and there throughout the day. I think that’s a good thing.

Overall I feel great. I'm going strong & improving greatly in every aspect. I don't see a lot of reasons to update here frequently though, I'll just drop in when I feel like it, my goals will be met regardless. 

Current Challenge

Well at least update occasionally so I can see how you are doing! That pistol roll progression looks like great fun, I tried it too but it is very hard to actually roll up to balance on your foot like you are doing. :P I'm not going to try anymore right now it's blisteringly hot in my apartment. Loved the front squats too! :)

• Like 1