• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

erosan

Gunslinger born: Chapter 3 (erosan's challenge log)

SUMMARY
In order to become who I want to be, I want to setup the foundations.

My third challenge changed so much while it was happening, that even though I considered it a success of sorts and leveled up, it seem apparent I still need to nail down the basics... mostly because my life is a mess, so when life decides to happen, it takes my all to deal with it. But that's OK I still need to achieve the minimum level necessary to start pursuing the rest of my goals (and I'm getting closer to this stepping stone every day) I now know that the path that will lead me there is to organize my life a little better.

Thankfully I've learned a lot so far.

On the previous chapter, our hero is making progress, becoming stronger and more adaptable, but he still struggles with his inexperience, failing where he had previously succeeded, and still trying to make good with the ever changing reality of life. 

(current) MAIN QUEST - almost there edition.
Tame life into order to become leaner, fitter and healthier.

SMART goal breakdown: lose 15kg (goal is being around 70kg before october 30 or so), be fitter, healthier (aiming for stricter paleo this time).

GOALS
1. LEANER - I need to properly fuel my training. PALEO. and this time I mean it. (+3 WIS if success), lose some more weight too! (+2 CHA if at least 2kg lost).

2. FITTER 3 workouts minimum per week (+2 STR, +1 STA if 75%+ success). I wanna continue Starting Strength 5x5, but if not possible, BWW is fine. Pullups and plank training need to happen too. Serendipity! The new Assassin's mini challenges will be AWESOME and crazy too! and they are asking us to pick 4 exercises to focus on: I already decided on Pushups, narrow squats, and waaait for it, pullups and planks. Judging from last challenges minis, I think it's safe to assume this'll be plenty to keep me feeling like my arms are about to fall off and my legs are noodles. This'll be the focus of my challenge. I'll kick ass at these 4 by the end of the challenge.

AMRAPS

Transfiguration: 10 pushups

Flying: 1 pull up

The dark arts: 15 narrow squats (prisoner style)

Charms: 60 sec plank

3. HEALTHIER - Learning must be prized. 5 hours of study per week at least. Strength training is fine, but one does not kill with his gun, but with his mind, do you kennit, Sai? (+4 WIS if 75%+ success). 

LIFE SIDEQUEST - Get life in order. Schedule and to do lists, hipster's PDA, habitRPG (definitely using this one more this challenge), inboxZero, GTD, whatever it takes to regain control on my life. (+1 WIS, +1 CON, +1 STA)

MOTIVATION

LGN

MINIQUESTS
Troll in the dungeon +1 STA

Join the dueling club +1 STR

Prepare for the yule-in-july ball +1 DEX

Practice your occlumency +1 WIS

Hunting the Horcruxes +1 CON

Note: to learn more about how I've used habitrpg to aid me on my quests, read this thread.

• Like 1

Awesome goals :) I love the dark tower series. I might need to reread the whole series again.

There they stood, ranged along the hill-sides, met

To view the last of me, a living frame 200

For one more picture! in a sheet of flame

I saw them and I knew them all. And yet

Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set,

And blew “Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came.â€

• Like 1

Soooo...

The kid's swimming classes are no more and they won't happen this month due to scheduling issues... that means I lost access to weights. Thus no more StrongLifts 5x5 unless I can find a cheap alternative to that. Oh well.

I might do something else in the meantime.

Soooo...

The kid's swimming classes are no more and they won't happen this month due to scheduling issues... that means I lost access to weights. Thus no more StrongLifts 5x5 unless I can find a cheap alternative to that. Oh well.

I might do something else in the meantime.

Look into the harder body weight exercise progressions. That is what I am doing for this challenge :) Going to see if I can't make some awesome growth without relying on the weight room.

I can't think of your name, without thinking of ero-sennin from Naruto.   Was that your goal?  *peeeeer*

Tada I am here!  But slacking at work, so must tag now, read later.

special_a___poke_gif_by_dreameratheart05

it is a sort of related joke… my last name is Erosa… And naruto was ongoing back then (and Jiraiya was had recently been introduced) so it was just a matter of time till my japanese class' uhh classmates (and my otaku friends) started calling me ero san. it stuck… and I like it to be honest :D mr erotism/mr perv is a funny nickname.

it is a sort of related joke… my last name is Erosa… And naruto was ongoing back then (and Jiraiya was had recently been introduced) so it was just a matter of time till my japanese class' uhh classmates (and my otaku friends) started calling me ero san. it stuck… and I like it to be honest :D mr erotism/mr perv is a funny nickname.

That's awesome, because I cannot help but say it with an anime voice every time I come to your thread!! :)

I totally locked in on the "Mr Perv" thing the first time I saw your name and was like "whaaat? 0o"

Great goals! Too bad about the weights thing, but trusty old bodyweight will always be there for you. ^^ Have you seen startbodyweight.com? It's a pretty good (free) resource for progressions.

Good luck! Subbing to cheer you on :) Fully agree about bodyweight workouts - I like them better than weights too, but barbells are really fun (for reasons I still can't explain to people who don't use them...)!

All the best!

Awesome goals :) I love the dark tower series. I might need to reread the whole series again.

There they stood, ranged along the hill-sides, met

To view the last of me, a living frame 200

For one more picture! in a sheet of flame

I saw them and I knew them all. And yet

Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set,

And blew “Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came.â€

I am not a reader (shame) but have a great fondness for words.   (It's a time thing that stops me really.)  Anyway, I read this and I was like ... Oh snap.  What is this about?  I might be pulled out of my unreading ways.

I've always liked bodyweight better, but I was having so much fun with the barbell for the first time ever…

Woo.  If you find a cool bodyweight thingy, lemme know!   I need to change stuff up.  I keep doing the same like 8 things every week haha.

Aaah Sempai!  Let's go rock week one!!   SEMPAI!!

Good_Sempai_by_Watapoku.jpg

• Like 1

I am not a reader (shame) but have a great fondness for words. (It's a time thing that stops me really.) Anyway, I read this and I was like ... Oh snap. What is this about? I might be pulled out of my unreading ways.

Woo. If you find a cool bodyweight thingy, lemme know! I need to change stuff up. I keep doing the same like 8 things every week haha.

Aaah Sempai! Let's go rock week one!! SEMPAI!!

Good_Sempai_by_Watapoku.jpg

that is from an old french poem called childe roland to the dark tower came, which sort of inspired Sai stephen king to write his opus magnus, the dark tower books. And if reading does not suit you, that's cool… marvel started doing some Dark tower related comics… you can hunt them down on one of the 7 pirate seas of the net and read 1 or 2 issues, see if you like the story, tone, etc…

also

huh? sempai? chigaomasu… sempai-janai! nanimo dekimasenga…

issho ni ganbarimasune?

(don't judge me too harshly… I have not practiced in years so my japanese must be awful)

• Like 1

Today's workout:

5x5 Pushups 1 sec stop on the way down, 1 second stop on the way up

5x5 Narrow squats 1 sec stop on the way down, 1 second stop on the way up

5x5 Jumping pullups (focus on the negative)

90 sec plank

huh? sempai? chigaomasu… sempai-janai! nanimo dekimasenga…

issho ni ganbarimasune?

(don't judge me too harshly… I have not practiced in years so my japanese must be awful)

^^  Judging disabled, I don't speak a lick of Japanese, except for what I've learned in anime. :P

I do see some form of 'do your best' in there.

Nice work on the exercises.   Love love love, negatives for pull up work.  I do a 'hold as long as I can, followed by slow as possible negative' EVERY workout! :)

^^  Judging disabled, I don't speak a lick of Japanese, except for what I've learned in anime. :tongue:

I do see some form of 'do your best' in there.

Nice work on the exercises.   Love love love, negatives for pull up work.  I do a 'hold as long as I can, followed by slow as possible negative' EVERY workout! :)

Sorry :P you seem so into anime, I thought maybe you spoke some... most of my sempai and classmates were learning japanese because they liked anime, while I being the oddball, was learning japanese because I loved every single other part of their culture, while blissfully ignoring what anime/manga was... I got into anime after I started studying japanese.

anyways, that would translate to:

"huh? your senior? you must be mistaken... I am not your sempai. I can't really do anything, but...

Let's try our best together, yes?"

I am really not your sempai... you are light years away from me as far a progress goes, so it is me who looks up to you. But yes... let's do our best effort, ok?

I knew sempai meant upper classman.   And like you have Erosan as a play on your name, I similarly have a play on MY name when I go to cons.   Gasp, oh dear, breaking internet rules here... anyway, my RL name is Renee, which shortens to 'Nay' for most people, or sometimes written 'Nee'.     Soooo naturally, I play off of it by putting 'Nay-chan' on my badges for cons lol.

I refer to many of my guy friends as -kun.    Shout Itadakimasu when at a japanese steak house.  (Followed by gochiso sama deshita) lol,  and often throw random "Doshta's" at people.  

Seriously, I do have some interest in learning Japanese, but I fear what they say about learning any language, let alone a challenging one, at my age.   Le siiiigh.

As for progress, pffft!  Not.   And call me daffy, but there's something about your online personality, that makes me equate you and Tobi. :)   Well Tobi who ran around being silly with Deidara anyway!  

hahaha. I like being a bit silly, that's true. I don't like taking my life too seriously... which might surprise people, because I'm very adult like on my looks and my behavior (sort of)... always dressed formal, fedora and all... and acting professional...

But once you get to know me you'll realize I have absolutely no problem dropping to the floor and crawling along my 4 year old to play, even in the middle of the mall... the rest of the people's opinion be damned.

Also I can't help but being distracted by cartoons. ANY cartoon. even one I hate and I've seen 1000 times. Which makes my wife mad when she is trying to talk to me and my kid is watching TV... But how am I supposed to resist? they ARE designed to catch your attention, with the bright colors and catchy songs!

But I digress... I'm gonna start calling you onee-chan... :D

If you want to learn some japanese, I can't recommend enough japanesepod101 (audio is free) and, at least the very first episodes, were funny, quirky and great as education went. Japanese is fun to learn and not that complicated to speak. writing it... that's another story. But it is very newbie friendly, in my experience, so maybe you should give it a try...

I'd love to get back to that, but I'm currently competing against my wife for my duolingo score... (she's doing the english, and I'm alternating between italian and french... although I'm working a little harder on my french for now).

Thanks for the tip Erosan!   I am gonna have to look that up and perhaps dabble with it.   I think it'd be pretty cool to learn, and maybe since I have an active way to at least practice LISTENING to it, it could become fun.  >.>

How goes non silliness related things for ya?

So, I came home from work, feeling tired and all, but decided that I was not going to skip my workout afterall… for Nerdwarts related reasons…

5x5 pushups 2s stop on the way down, 1s stop on the way up

5x5 narrow squats, same stops as above

5x5 jump assisted pullups (focus on the negative), slow descent, 1 sec stop on the way down

2x60sec plank

then a shower and went to bed (from where I'm currently reporting on a blue light filtered phone, so don't fear for my sleep).

the thing is… this routine takes too long… it is mostly resting, yes, but still. I'm thinking of breaking it apart, and doing pushups/pullups one day and plankwork/squats the next… what do you guys think?

OK… story time:

Once upon a Yesterday, I noticed that the last two customers were having issues with their car. Battery died, had to push. Of course I volunteered to help, so this guy and me pushed his car while his girlfriend (who probably didn't even knew how to drive) tried to turn on the car… The guy was getting frustrated trying to yell directions at the girl. I suggested that he took over… I can push the car on my own, right? I'm strong now…

And I did… for a block and a half… cuz the guy was no better at this than his girl… sigh.

Then… because the night was beautiful… and I was feeling like it, decided to save the money I was going to use for the taxi and walk home... an hour and a half journey I did with dress shoes.

Now, do not ask me why, but for some unknown reason, today's workout felt more difficult. Like somehow I had not rested a whole day since the previous session…

A real mistery, I tell you…

5x5 pushups 2s stops both directions

5x5 narrow squats, same amount of stops

5x5 jump assisted pullups (focus on the negative) slow descent 1 sec stop on the way down

As soon as I saw the food pics, I started screaming ITADAKIMASU!   Looks so yum.   We have a Japanese market up by us that has an authentic food court.   But the only time I tried Ramen, it was some beef thing, and the beef they used was like 98% fat.  I gagged my way around it.   I want to love it, but I need to try a kind that is less grizzly.

And walking in dress shoes?   That's crazy talk Erosan!!!  But yeah, that totes explains why next workout was arg-hard.

• Like 1