• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Oramac

Part 1: From Dark Helmet to Darth Oramac

There are definitely nerves that run through the shoulder that can cause pain, numbness, tingling, etc in the arms when depressed by a heavy ass bar.

It's actually fairly common especially with low bar squatters.

I've had it and it comes and goes. Thicker shoulders provide more padding, as do actual pads.

If it becomes a regular thing, or to difficult to bear, try switching the bar position or give squats a break.

• Like 1

There are definitely nerves that run through the shoulder that can cause pain, numbness, tingling, etc in the arms when depressed by a heavy ass bar.

It's actually fairly common especially with low bar squatters.

I've had it and it comes and goes. Thicker shoulders provide more padding, as do actual pads.

If it becomes a regular thing, or to difficult to bear, try switching the bar position or give squats a break.

Such is the way of excuses, is it not?

Thanks guys.  I'm not gonna let it be an excuse.  I changed my arm position during squats slightly yesterday and it seems to have helped.  I'll keep an eye on it. 

====================================================================================================

Week 2 Day 1.  

It was..........a day.  I didn't track food, though I kinda wish I had.  I don't feel like I ate enough, even though I was full.  

Gym time went pretty well, all things considered.  

Squats: 1 set bodyweight; 1 set bar; 1 set of 20 at 90 pounds.

Pullovers: 1 set at 25 pounds.

Straight-Leg Deadlifts: 1 set of 15 at 145 pounds. 

Pullovers: 1 set at 25 pounds

Bench Press: 2 sets of 10 at 135; 1 set of 6; 1 set of 5;  (I owed myself 4 here, so I added a rep for punishment.  I probably could have gotten 7-8 on the 3rd set, but didn't want to push it without a spotter.)

Bent-Row: 3 sets of 15 with 35 pound dumbbells.  (the rack was taken, so I couldn't do them with the barbell like the plan calls for)

Incline Press: 3 sets at 80 pounds.  (I decided to just stick with the Incline Press since I started with it, and it would be kinda tough to try switching exercises mid-program)

Squats went well.  Like I said above, I changed my arm position slightly and didn't have any problem with tingly-ness or whatnot.  Bent-Rows probably should have been done with more weight, but I wasn't sure how to divide a 95 pounds bar into dumbbells.  

Overall, not too bad.  

• Like 2

Glad to hear it didn't take much to shift out of the nerve problem. Those can be scary. It must have been resting just the wrong way that time--sometimes a millimeter is all the difference between regular old pressure and screaming pain.

I didn't track food, though I kinda wish I had.  I don't feel like I ate enough, even though I was full.  

Story of my life lately!  The joys of nutrition. :)

Glad the arm wonkiness has resolved itself!!

• Like 1

Whew. That's a relief. Glad to hear that it didn't turn out to be anything serious.

So... did you see the new Knights of the Fallen Empire trailer?

• Like 1

Whew. That's a relief. Glad to hear that it didn't turn out to be anything serious.

So... did you see the new Knights of the Fallen Empire trailer?

Yes I did!  I just reinstalled SWTOR because of it.  haha.  The characters both look a little too much like Starkiller for my taste, but even so it looks awesome!  And that half-face mask?  HO-LEE CHIT!!  WANT!!! 

=============================================================================================

On the subject of lightsabers, I did my practice session last night, finally!  And for the record, Makashi makes no damn sense.  It just all feels wrong to me.  Like the lightsaber is too big a weapon for the style.  I feel like it's suited more to small weapons like dirks/daggers/open hand/etc.  Hell, even a short-sword (like under 24" total length) would feel better.  Grrr.   I think I'm just more suited to the more power-driven styles (Shii-Cho/Ataru/Djem So).  

• Like 2

On the subject of lightsabers, I did my practice session last night, finally!  And for the record, Makashi makes no damn sense.  It just all feels wrong to me.  Like the lightsaber is too big a weapon for the style.  I feel like it's suited more to small weapons like dirks/daggers/open hand/etc.  Hell, even a short-sword (like under 24" total length) would feel better.  Grrr.   I think I'm just more suited to the more power-driven styles (Shii-Cho/Ataru/Djem So).  

I'm planning on picking up a couple of Initiate-length blades (for our current sabers) from Ultrasabers so that the wife and I can practice our close-quarters and mixed-length combat. Bonus: they will allow me to combine my stunt blade and my Consular into a single lightstaff when they're not being used for short-range practice. :D

Would a 24" blade in your current saber potentially work better for that style? I mean, a standard Ultrasaber is 36" plus ~12" or so for the handle. You could cut that down by a whole foot by changing out for an Initiate-length blade.

• Like 1

Since you mentioned SWOTOR, I've been trying for AGES to get KOTOR 1+2 to work on my computer. Any good advice?

Can't say I have the KOTOR games myself, but I'd guess the best way is to find a good emulator program that you can run it through.  

I'm planning on picking up a couple of Initiate-length blades (for our current sabers) from Ultrasabers so that the wife and I can practice our close-quarters and mixed-length combat. Bonus: they will allow me to combine my stunt blade and my Consular into a single lightstaff when they're not being used for short-range practice. :D

Would a 24" blade in your current saber potentially work better for that style? I mean, a standard Ultrasaber is 36" plus ~12" or so for the handle. You could cut that down by a whole foot by changing out for an Initiate-length blade.

It probably would, honestly.  Even my Initiate v3 with a 32" blade feels too big at this point.  

• Like 1

Can't say I have the KOTOR games myself, but I'd guess the best way is to find a good emulator program that you can run it through. 

Either that or re-buy them on Steam for like $5. I can vouch for the Steam version of the original. It's kind of ugly on modern monitor resolutions, but playable.

It probably would, honestly.  Even my Initiate v3 with a 32" blade feels too big at this point.  

An Initiate v3 with a 24" blade would probably be about right. That's roughly the total length of a Chinese Butterfly Sword (I've seen them side-by-side) which is definitely more like a big knife.

• Like 1

Yes I did!  I just reinstalled SWTOR because of it.  haha.  The characters both look a little too much like Starkiller for my taste, but even so it looks awesome!  And that half-face mask?  HO-LEE CHIT!!  WANT!!! 

O hai thar.  *pops in at MMO talk* XD

Man I loved SWTOR.... until the end when there was nothing to do.  ;_;  I remember hours of mindless running around that icy outdoor PVP area with my bounty hunter healing everyone and picking up those statues out of treasure boxes....

Such a great storyline, though.  And loads of fun!!

• Like 2

Either that or re-buy them on Steam for like $5. I can vouch for the Steam version of the original. It's kind of ugly on modern monitor resolutions, but playable.

I bought them both on Steam like a year ago and haven't been able to get them running, hence my question. Most solutions I've found out using my google fu skills haven't done the trick

I bought them both on Steam like a year ago and haven't been able to get them running, hence my question. Most solutions I've found out using my google fu skills haven't done the trick

Maybe contact Steam support?  I'm sure you're not the first person ever to have a problem with their games.  

So yesterday sucked.  

Gym:

Squats: 1 set of 5 bodyweight; 1 set of 5 with the bar; 1 set of 20 with 95 pounds.

Pullovers: 1 set of 20 with 25 pounds

Straight-Leg Deadlifts: 1 set of 15 with 150 pounds.

Pullovers: 1 set of 20 with 25 pounds.

Bench: 1 set of 5 with the bar; 1 set of 10 with 135 pounds; 1 set of 5 with 135 pounds.

Nothing else.

So I left early yesterday.  I feel like ass about it, and I felt like ass at the time too.  Squats were awesome, actually, and it was all downhill from there.  About the time I finished my first set of Pullovers, someone runs into the weight room and yells "Kimbo Slice is here!"  (he's fighting Ken Shamrock, who trains with the gym I go to)  So naturally instead of taking a 10 minute break or something, I decide I'm going to do my set of deadlifts Touch 'n' Go style.  That was a fucking horrible idea.  I already wasn't feeling awesome when I went into the gym (slept wrong on my back or something), and the deadlifts just killed me.  The whole right side of my head was pounding by the 15th rep, and I barely struggled through the Bench sets that I had been rocking the last couple days.  So note to self: no Touch n Go deadlifts.  

On the bright side, I saw Kimbo Slice in person.  Which was kinda cool.  

I had to google Kimbo Slice, I would have figured that guy was excited about a pizza delivery or something.  (Mmm, pizza.)

I hate bad gym days.  Nothing leaves you feeling shittier than a day where you just can't produce or hurry into things and slow yourself up.  Ugh.  Next time will be better.

• Like 1

Ugh, the trades we make sometimes, huh? Doesn't sound like you feel like it was worth it.

Bad days happen. They get us all sooner or later. Hope you're feeling better today, though!

• Like 1

I had to google Kimbo Slice, I would have figured that guy was excited about a pizza delivery or something.  (Mmm, pizza.)

I hate bad gym days.  Nothing leaves you feeling shittier than a day where you just can't produce or hurry into things and slow yourself up.  Ugh.  Next time will be better.

Haha.  What is the deal with pizza lately!?  But yea his name does kinda sound like a pizza place.  

I sure hope next time is better.  I'm sure it will be.  I won't be stupid enough to try something new and dumb.  

Ugh, the trades we make sometimes, huh? Doesn't sound like you feel like it was worth it.

Bad days happen. They get us all sooner or later. Hope you're feeling better today, though!

Definitely better today!  Thanks.  Kinda woke up feeling like crap, but it went away pretty quick.  Might have something to do with the 6 cups of water I drank in under 2 hours.  Haha. 

--------------------------------------

Also, on an unrelated note, I spent a good 45 minutes yesterday talking to a girl over the phone.  Haven't actually met her yet (online dating wonkiness), but I feel like it's going fairly well.  I think.  Maybe.  I can never tell.  If I could, I wouldn't be single!  

• Like 4

Good luck with that. Women are complicated.

QFT. I can't offer all that much advice because I cheated the system, but just try to be authentic (warning, this is not code for 'be an asshole', LOL).

There's no point in misdirection on who you are--they'll find out eventually, one way or the other. Better to find the dealbreaker early, if there is one.

Also, on an unrelated note, I spent a good 45 minutes yesterday talking to a girl over the phone.  Haven't actually met her yet (online dating wonkiness), but I feel like it's going fairly well.  I think.  Maybe.  I can never tell.  If I could, I wouldn't be single!  

I'm pretty sure that a phone call is good progress. For what it's worth, she's probably in the same boat. Just be yourself. 

Also, women are crazy - make sure she's the kind of crazy you can deal with.

Good luck with that. Women are complicated.

Ain't that the truth!

QFT. I can't offer all that much advice because I cheated the system, but just try to be authentic (warning, this is not code for 'be an asshole', LOL).

There's no point in misdirection on who you are--they'll find out eventually, one way or the other. Better to find the dealbreaker early, if there is one.

Thanks.  At this point in my life, there's very few deal-breakers.  Wearing my heart on my sleeve a bit, I'm 31 years old and haven't had a serious girlfriend in almost 10 years.  I've seen 2 very good friends get divorced in that time.  So really as long as she's ok with me carrying and playing video games, I'm good.  

I'm pretty sure that a phone call is good progress. For what it's worth, she's probably in the same boat. Just be yourself. 

Also, women are crazy - make sure she's the kind of crazy you can deal with.

Crazy is good.  I like crazy.  In fact, I actually want crazy.  I'm a little crazy myself.  

• Like 2

I'll need to check out Kumbo Slice too I have not heard of it.  Sorry that Wednesday didn't go well...My Thursday sucked also so we can be 'Man that SUCKED' buddies!!!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-5012-1374019036-3.g

Awesome that you had a good long chat with a lady!  I think that human beings are complicated cause individuals can be hard to read sometimes.  I tend to take things at face value so if it feels like things are going well, then I think they are :D.  I hope it continues to go well and you and the lady can be crazy together.  :) 

• Like 3

I just realized that I never posted Friday's workout, or a end of week round up!!  Damn I'm slacking.  haha.  So Friday, to the best of my remember-y.

Gym:

Squats: 1 set bodyweight; 1 set at bar; 1 set of 20 at 100 pounds.

Pullovers: 1 set of 20 at 25 pounds

Straight-Leg Deads: 1 set of 9 at 150; 1 set of 6 at 150.

Pullovers: 1 set of 20 at 25 pounds

Bench Press (dumbbells): 3 sets of 10 with 45 pound dumbbells.

Bent Row: 3 sets of 10 at 95 pounds.

Incline Press: 3 sets of 12 at 85 pounds. 

With the suck I had on Wednesday, I took it easy on the deads.  I'm sure I could have done the whole set of 15, but decided to break it up.  Also, both benches were taken, so I had to improvise a little on that.  I think I probably should have done more weight with the dumbbells, but I wasn't sure where to start there.  

====================================================================

Week 2 grading:

Workouts: 3/3

Tracking: 0/2

Lightsaber: 1/1

Well, I traded one fail for another this time.  I did my saber training on Tuesday, indoors.  Hopefully it stops effing raining so I can do that outside.  And I totally bombed the tracking.  Nothing more to say about that.