NAXIUS ASCENDING (part 1.5)

Could also be titled: "Naxius gets more INT...again."

This is not my official challenge thread, just something for the time in between. I figure that it's best to stay on top of things (at least a little) to avoid slacking on the habits I've acquired last challenge, and to get some more things out of the way so that they won't be stress-bombs and brain clutter during the next challenge.

Continue doing:

- 1 coffee per day, max

- Hydrate a lot

- Have salads/vegetables a lot

Make the following habits, too:

- Do Lumosity Raindrops (3 or more games per day)

- 5 mins of mindfulness

For Lumosity and mindfulness, the main enemy seems to be procrastination. I'll be all like "oh, it's quick to do this, so I'll just do it later" and then later comes and I'm too tired to do anything. If I can do these two earlier in the day, it would probably be better.

TO DO ABSOLUTELY:

- DEFEND THESIS

- There was something else that I was supposed to do that was very important. I was thinking about it all morning but as soon as I went to write it down I forgot what it was. I'll remember it later. I think it had something to do with that Coursera finance class I signed up for.

Thesis defense plan:

1. Finish PowerPoint slides and the "KNOW ALL THESE THINGS" list

2. Actually study/know all the things and reaction mechanisms from the list in #1

3. Cram material from previous classes as much as possible

• Like 2

If I could learn time management, I'd be successful. Fuck.

Nothing terrible happened, but I wanted to work on the PowerPoints for the last 3 nights now, and I ended up doing something else every time.

My day:

- Wake up

- Go to gym (if Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday)

- Whirlwind of breakfast making, tumblr surfing, coffee drinking, lunch preparing

- Work

- Gym (if Tuesday or Thursday)

- Supper and more tumblr surfing

- Shower

- Tiredness monster shows its ugly face, usually around 7:30

- Procrastination until slightly past 11:00

It's during the time between 7:00 and 11:00 that everything just goes to shit because I no longer have the brainpower/energy to do mental tasks. Ideally, the 7:00 to 11:00 time is when shit should be getting done. Or at LEAST from 7 'till 9 :\

But now for some better news: I got a notice that I was going to have to pay tuition for the summer term, and I was like OH HELL NO! because fuck paying 1200$ just for staying past the May 30th deadline for just a few weeks. I'd understand if this were my fault, but as it is now I submitted my thesis to the examining committee in early May, and due to a convention happening in the chemistry department (where all the examining committee members work) right plus the external examiner's advising duties, things are taking longer than expected and...yeah. I don't have a date yet for my thesis defense and it's not my fault. It's not exactly the examining committee's fault either. Still, it's bullshit that I should have to pay 1200$ for something entirely out of my control.

Sooooo I called financial services, explained what the situation was, and then embarked on a telephone adventure on the administration trail. Long story short, the fees got waived. Victory!

This seems trivial, but around the same time last year a similar thing happened and my reaction was more along the lines of FREAK OUT, CRY, YELL, GET YELLED AT BY FAMILY, CRY MORE, DESPAIR, EXTRA DEPRESSION (as opposed to regular depression), WISH TO JUST DISAPPEAR, DROWN FEELINGS IN ALCOHOL, etc. Sure, I still procrastinate way the hell too much, but now I'm almost starting to feel like I'm a functional adult. I'm ready to make money--or at least get out of debt--and do adult things...like making more money.

Money to buy all the action figures I want. And to make costumes, so I can pretend to be fictional characters. This is what adulthood is supposed to be, right?

• Like 3

Hang in there, collage is shit, it gets better afterwards when the real world gets a hold of you.

Glad to hear about your victory there with your fees. That's a load off your mind!

As for the procrastination thing, can you shift your schedule around a little? If you are routinely slacking off in the evenings, maybe shift things into that time slot that are not as sensitive and save you more energy hungry activities for earlier in the day when you have the mental clarity to do them? Alternatively, have you evaluated what you are eating at night? Maybe your meals are too far apart or not giving you the energy you need to power through the evening? It may not be laziness and just plain ol exhaustion? 

Aranel Eraisuithiel

Class/Profession: Half-elf  Druid/Scout – Level 1/1

Current Attributes: STR: 1, DEX: 1, STA: 4, CON: 3, WIS: 4, CHA: 2

Current Challenge:  Aranel Tries This Whole Thing Again

Previous Challenges: Aranel Ventures Forth

Aranel's Rather Sketchy and not Wholly Complete Travel Logs.

The schedule is pretty rigid, unfortunately. Sometimes I can switch gym from the evening to morning, but I'm trying to get back into the schedule I had last year where I go work out in the early morning in order to free up the afternoon (5 to 7 PM, approximately). I've tried the thing where I attempt to do work in the early morning and it just doesn't work between all the breakfast and lunch prep, etc. Then there's also the overwhelming urge to slam the snooze button lol.

I think I just need to ban tumblr for 2 hours in the evening ;\ Or try to do the thing where you do 20 mins of work and then 10 mins of slacking.

I had a 1h nap after work today and it seems to have done some good: it's 9:30 and I'm not on the verge of passing out. Maybe nap + intermittent work periods are the answer? I, ehh...have yet to do work tonight, but ya know ;P

Oh, I know that this problem is due to exhaustion haha! I was so chronically sleep deprived, dehydrated, and depressed last year (and for a part of this year) that I might still be feeling some of the after effects from all that bullshit. I used to just have coffee and try to power through, but this no longer works and just leaves me in more of a mind fog AND unable to sleep. So now when I start to get tired I just go to bed lol. It's good for my health, but...the PowerPoints need to get done :tongue:

I might be able to cheat if I still have the slides from my Departmental Seminar, actually. They would be very similar and would only require me to make the second half. The first half I could just edit. Funny how the fact that I might be able to get away with doing less effort motivates me.

EDIT: forgot to mention. My diet upon returning home usually consists of yesterday's leftovers. It's never junk, but yeah, I do tend to want to nap just after I'm done eating after getting home from work. At work I've been sticking to fruits and gargantuan salads for the last 6+ weeks.

• Like 1

When I work during the days I try and eat my "main meal" at lunch time and only have a light meal at supper. Doing this doesn't make me as tired in the evenings and I feel more productive.

Perhaps you could also pick one night a week (say Wednesday) and go to bed really early to "catch up"?

Wish I could do more than just offer words of support, but I KNOW you're strong enough to take care of the important things!

Keep at it kiddo!

Race: Halfling     Class: Rebel

Recruit 1st 2nd 3rd 4th  5th 6th  7th  8th 9th 10th  11th 12th 13th  14th  15th

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

Fictionfirst Used Books (Feel free to like my page!)

Fuck fuck fucking FUCK!

I hate it when I declutter and go "oh, I never read these anymore, I'll give it away to someone on a facebook group I'm in and clear some space and they can use the items for a giveaway or something, and it'll make someone happy".

Then I commit to giving the book to the group owner so she can have the giveaway, and then someone else posts on the same group "OMG awesome, the one book in that series is rare and can fetch from like 80$ to 300$! TY so much :D"

I didn't need to make student loan payments. Not at all.

Aaaand I'm going to be late for work.

Fuck fuck fucking FUCK!

I hate it when I declutter and go "oh, I never read these anymore, I'll give it away to someone on a facebook group I'm in and clear some space and they can use the items for a giveaway or something, and it'll make someone happy".

Then I commit to giving the book to the group owner so she can have the giveaway, and then someone else posts on the same group "OMG awesome, the one book in that series is rare and can fetch from like 80$ to 300$! TY so much :D"

I didn't need to make student loan payments. Not at all.

Aaaand I'm going to be late for work.

We're not talking about me are we? If so I can ship back said book. No worries.

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

Nonono, it wasn't any of the ones I gave you.

I'm talking about a pack of 3 Young Hercules books that I kept (turns out that there are 4 in the series, but whatever). I was a big fan of the Young Hercules series when it aired in the late 90's and early 2000's, and there was an online community for it. Anyway, I picked up some of the books way back in the day but they've just been sitting on my shelf for the last 10 years or so. I'm still a part of the FaceBook group that this fan community has and figured I'd give the books away to them as some kind of giveaway or something.

I'll check the price of that one book later when I get home. Maybe the one who said something about it being worth up to 300$ was exaggerating.

• Like 1

Almost. Lost 8 pounds overnight on Friday, then had a headache and was awake probably for all of 3 hours Saturday, and now the fever/headache's gone but the nausea is back.

We're short-staffed at work tomorrow, so I need to go in no matter what. I sure as hell hope I'm feeling better by then.

Powerpoints were not even looked at during the entire weekend. This was supposed to be a productivity weekend, damn it.

• Like 1

Almost. Lost 8 pounds overnight on Friday, then had a headache and was awake probably for all of 3 hours Saturday, and now the fever/headache's gone but the nausea is back.

We're short-staffed at work tomorrow, so I need to go in no matter what. I sure as hell hope I'm feeling better by then.

Powerpoints were not even looked at during the entire weekend. This was supposed to be a productivity weekend, damn it.

Pound the Pepto into you kiddo and keep your fluids up.

You do it let? No? Then get your ass in gear, do it and then get to bed! Don't make me drive up there! <g>

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

tumblr_m7accqKYrR1r1rbwco1_500.gif

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

No, it isn't!

Get better soon!

Pound the Pepto into you kiddo and keep your fluids up.

You do it let? No? Then get your ass in gear, do it and then get to bed! Don't make me drive up there! <g>

I'm feeling better again. I also felt better Sunday morning, Monday morning, and this morning, only to have it go straight to hell after I ate anything. I'm not quite sure what to do. I need to eat and hydrate in order to heal faster, but eating or drinking water makes me want to hurl.

I just had a doctor appointment, which was for something else (surgical checkup, yay!) but mentioned this recent norovirus shit-show when he asked how things were going.

Me: "My immune system is usually rockin'. I don't understand why it's taking so long for this to go away X("

Doctor: "Well you did just have a major surgery."

Me: "...Orite."

I apparently have to stay hydrated way more than I thought, so this will remain a challenge item for the next round. Water intake will get bumped from 3L to 5L. I AM GOING TO BE PEEING ALL THE TIME OMG. I'm not sure if I should have a coffee reduction goal again this round. I rocked it last round, so it's no longer necessary--I don't want coffee anymore, nor do I feel like I need it. I'm just scared that the thesis defense will end up undoing this. We'll see.

I also got a prescription for a thing, which I will talk more about later B)

Major stomach upset does indeed interfere with productivity. 

Definitely check on that book.  If you can get that much money out of it, go for it.

Congrats on the tuition waive!  $1200 for the defense after scheduling problems is not really fair.

Yeah really. And for some reason, the upset stomachs typically happen when there's an epic need to do work X(

I still haven't checked the price for the book. A part of me almost doesn't want to haha! Will do it after supper.

And yay for not having to fork over 1200 indeed! Now I just need to stay on top of the loan interest lol

tumblr_m7accqKYrR1r1rbwco1_500.gif

THE LOKI GIFS! How I have missed those!

EDIT: yep, the book is like 90$ minimum on amazon. Not sure if I should donate it or do a 180. I mean, I did enjoy that community for several years and I keep in touch with them, but on the other hand I don't want the winner of the giveaway to just sell it? lol. On the other hand, I don't have the time to do eBay shit right now...Gah.

• Like 1

tumblr_m7zs9sAQSC1rsy50k.gif

I'm here for you.  

Hope things go well.  I think a coffee reduction as part of your challenge would be good to keep in there.  Having slipped off the Red Bull free road, I know how easy it is to think its been beaten and to slip again.  You go coffee free and I'll do the same on Red Bull; deal?  

Level 2 Warforged Druid

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

I'm here for you.  

Hope things go well.  I think a coffee reduction as part of your challenge would be good to keep in there.  Having slipped off the Red Bull free road, I know how easy it is to think its been beaten and to slip again.  You go coffee free and I'll do the same on Red Bull; deal?  

Just got an e-mail back from the boss. My thesis defense will be in the end of June. The Animaritime convention is at the end of June. Oh and wait, that intro to finance class on coursera that I decided to take because I figured I'd be done grad school by now started on June 1st.

I think I'm going to need a time management goal :\ Or a "stay the fuck off tumblr" goal, to a certain extent, since that web site is like time-eating cocaine.

This leaves my relationship with coffee, which I've been thinking about a lot since you made that reply. Maybe if I time-manage well enough, I won't even need coffee?

I used to be able to use coffee in an epic manner for my first several years of Undergrad: I'd drink some in the evening, and then turned into a furious cramming machine until the wee hours of the morning. Then I'd sleep 2 or 3 hours, wake up earlier than I had to, down some RedBull and more coffee, crammed more, and went to write the exam like a boss.

Now if I attempt the same thing it goes more like 1) drink coffee in the evening expecting the scenario described above, 2) realize that I still can't focus and that still nothing is getting done, and start to panic, 3) say "fuck it" and go to bed...only to realize that all the coffee did was to make me unable to sleep, 4) toss and turn in frustration, where frustration is directly proportional to time, 5) finally manage to fall asleep one hour before the alarm goes off, 6) snooze until the last possible minute, 7) grab two more coffees, drag my ass to campus in defeat, and plead for an extension.

I wish I could still make use of coffee the way I used to. I don't know what happened. Maybe I'll be able to do it again some day after I recover from the chronic sleep deprivation that lasted for several years. I may as well not do the coffee dance to get shit done anymore since it no longer works.

I may as well not do the coffee dance to get shit done anymore since it no longer works.

I may as well not do the coffee dance to get shit done anymore since it no longer works.

I don't know yet if I'll go 100% coffee-free, but I'll definitely keep the one cup per day maximum (and ONLY in the morning) that I had last challenge. Is this still acceptable? XD

• Like 3

I accept.  I'm going to update my challenge to reflect this as well.  You got this, Nax.  

• Like 1

Level 2 Warforged Druid

Just got an e-mail back from the boss. My thesis defense will be in the end of June. The Animaritime convention is at the end of June. Oh and wait, that intro to finance class on coursera that I decided to take because I figured I'd be done grad school by now started on June 1st.

You're braver than I am, I hate finance related courses.

I think I'm going to need a time management goal :\ Or a "stay the fuck off tumblr" goal, to a certain extent, since that web site is like time-eating cocaine.

Instead of a time management goal, what about looking at it from a different view point, say allow 20 minutes of tumblr only AFTER "X" get s done?

Now if I attempt the same thing it goes more like 1) drink coffee in the evening expecting the scenario described above, 2) realize that I still can't focus and that still nothing is getting done, and start to panic, 3) say "fuck it" and go to bed...only to realize that all the coffee did was to make me unable to sleep, 4) toss and turn in frustration, where frustration is directly proportional to time, 5) finally manage to fall asleep one hour before the alarm goes off, 6) snooze until the last possible minute, 7) grab two more coffees, drag my ass to campus in defeat, and plead for an extension.

It's called "getting older" and it only gets worse kiddo!

I wish I could still make use of coffee the way I used to. I don't know what happened. Maybe I'll be able to do it again some day after I recover from the chronic sleep deprivation that lasted for several years.

I don't know yet if I'll go 100% coffee-free, but I'll definitely keep the one cup per day maximum (and ONLY in the morning) that I had last challenge. Is this still acceptable? XD

perfectly acceptable! <g>

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

It's time, Nax

AreYouReady.gif

• Like 1

Level 2 Warforged Druid