Urgan Joins the Nadesico

Urgan

Ohai, a new challenge forum is up already. Okay then, Challenge Accepted!

tumblr_n65wwwlPRd1s7ppnso1_500.gif

Martian Successor Nadesico is a fine, fine show with a huge cast of characters that made a big impression on me in terms of what a well-balanced anime could be. The first two components of this challenge will be building directly off of the previous one, with the latter half new/improved features. I'm really trying to hone my interests without a lot of distracting extras, as was my wont last challenge. You might have seen all the good that did me. 

tumblr_nl6rjcLwm41rjxyrgo2_400.gif

Aestivalis Strength (STR+2, STA+2)

Akito

Mechs are awesome. Period. Akito...doesn't necessarily agree with all that being a pilot entails, but like it or not he has to fight to protect the people he loves and defend whole planets. The journey for him to realize this shows there's more than physical strength behind piloting an aestivalis. 

Nothing worth having doesn't come without some seriously hard work. There are times when you may not want to, but responsibility doesn't take an off day when Earth and Mars are at stake. For me, the stakes may not be planetary high, but personally they couldn't be higher! I want to get stronger, march farther, and fight on for the gains. The below will be my schedule. I cannot afford to chase all the shinies, because I still need to work on my form and avoid getting hurt again plzkthx. My joints need TLC and consistency, not assistance exercise of the week...other than what comes from the Minis, those are totally allowed...and required, actually. That said, I'm tentatively putting yoga back on the list, but this is optional. I must pick my battles carefully, or else be sidelined once again for my recklessness.

Big 4 Lifts - 3 days/week

Walking    - 5 days/week

Chin-ups  - 1 day/week 

Yoga?      - 1 day/week

I should have this down pat by now, outside of circumstances beyond my control or injury. Grading is Pass/Fail for any missed session.

tumblr_nko3t9NWqK1skdbiao1_400.gif

Eating Like the Crew (CON+2, WIS+1)

Howmei

Life is a battlefield, and you never know what will happen tomorrow. Head cook Howmei takes ferocious pride in the seemingly small by focusing on making meals for the crew be the best that she and her staff can provide. 

Sure, we could all be hit by a bus or not wake up in the morning, but more than likely our circumstances are safe enough for this mortal life. That still doesn't mean we shouldn't take pride in what we eat and treat it with the respect it deserves. Quantity and quality are the name of the game for my diet. I have been getting enough protein and keep my sugar under control via MFP. For this challenge 2500 calories is my target, +- 10%.

Net Calories: 2250 - 2750 per day

7 Days On Target - A

6 Days On Target - B

5 Days On Target - C

<5Days On Target- F

tumblr_n9ra0mtKpG1s9qf9oo1_500.gif

Building Bonds (STR+1,CHA+3)

Yurika

If there's one thing Yurika wants more than to be the captain of the Nadesico, it's for Akito to finally notice her--and not just as a childhood friend. Part of being Captain, however, is dealing with a diverse crew of potentially clashing personalities. 

This guild is a melting pot of people from all over the globe with similar goals and aspirations. Luckily, we don't tend to clash like the ladies on the Nadesico who have their eye on Akito. Love is a battlefield!  This quest is simple--participate in all of the Assassin Minis, and give it a better effort than last time, good grief. Subjective, I know, but it's for my own good--both for the social aspect as well as supplying the variety for the challenge.

Really Earn Those Minis - Improve AMRAP on three of the four Subjects 1/week

My exercises for the mini are:

- Bench Dips

- Standard Chin-ups

- Air Squats

- Sit-ups

18 Improvements - A

14 Improvements - B

10 Improvements - C

<10 Improvement - F

tumblr_n67x4iap0H1s7ppnso1_500.gif

Tapping Into Genius (WIS+2, CHA+2)

Ruri

Ruri may be young, but she is highly competent--arguably moreso than her older crew-mates. She seems to spend most of her time connected to the ship's computer, being as that is part of her role on the Nadesico. 

I need to devote more time to my laptop...wait, it's not what you're thinking. I have two potential novels--both digital, one in outline form and one in full prose form (draft)--and they get spotty attention, at the very best. Writing and editing are going to be criteria for my challenge--no deliverables for this as I am thinking of publishing and the Internet can be a nasty place for intellectual property, but I will report back progress. I just need some accountability here.

Review/Edit or Write New Material - 5 days/week

5 Days - A

4 Days - B

3 Days - C

<3 Days - F

Measurements:

Weight: 106.0 lbs

Waist: 23.7"

Hips: 32.0"

Biceps(L/R): 10.1"/10.0"

Thighs(L/R): 20.3"/21.0"

Calves(L/R): 12.0"/11.7"

Front - 6/9/15

Side 6/9/15

Front flex 6/9/15

Side flex - 6/9/15

• Like 6

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

WEEK 1 SUMMARY

Aestivalis Strength - A+

Walk - 8/5

Lifts  - 3/3

Chins- 1/1

Eating Like the Crew - 6/7 - B

What can I say? I was on vacation and did great except for Sunday, where appetite just wasn't on my side. Solid B here.

Building Bonds - 4/3 - A+

Bench Dips - 10 > 25

Chin-Ups - 8 > 9

BW Squats - 50 > 60

Sit-ups - 25 > 27

Tapping Into Genius - 6/5 - A+

I did all kinds of writing this week, and have begun to review what has been written. Eyes on the outline all week!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEEK 2 SUMMARY

Aestivalis Strength - A+

Walk - 6/5

Lifts  - 3/3

Chins- 1/1

Weightlifting shoes and foam rolling are now part of the routine.

Eating Like the Crew - 7/7 - A

OM NOM NOM...within bounds all week in spite of the chaos that was Saturday night. Except for 1 year anniversary wedding cake, but you don't count that because Once In A Lifetime and all that. 

Building Bonds - 4/3 - A+

Bench Dips - 25 > 27

Chin-Ups - 9 > 10

BW Squats - 60 > 65

Sit-ups - 27 > 28

Editing mostly this week with a bit of new content added.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEEK 3 SUMMARY

Aestivalis Strength - A+

Walk - 7/5

Lifts  - 3/3

Chins- 1/1

Making some real progress on getting my lifts back to work set level, 110 is really challenging, but not punishing. I'll be interested to see how chins help my presses.

Kept it in bounds all week, in spite of that energy flagged around Thursday. 

Building Bonds - 3/3 - A

Bench Dips - 27 > 30

Chin-Ups - 10 > 11

BW Squats - 65 > 70

Sit-ups - 28 > 28

WEEK 4 SUMMARY

Aestivalis Strength - A

Walk - 5/5

Lifts  - 3/3

Chins- 1/1

I faced a lot of uphill battles this week. Migraines/headaches assaulted me nearly all week, nerfing Monday and Tuesday. I overdid it with the foam rolling and took my right knee and lower back out of the action for AMRAPs and Sunday's make-up lifting session, costing me my Building Bonds this week. The gym was closed for Independence Day on Saturday, and family came over to celebrate. Despite ALL OF THIS, I got in all my walks, lifting sessions (by a whisker), and chins. This is kind of major. Sure, it wasn't an epic week for the ages, but that A was clawed from the jaws of defeat.

Additionally, I have found my 5lb increase limit for squats, not exactly a win where it stopped, but I shall reset and carry on.

This was a tough week, some days I barely got by within bounds, others I had to carefully schedule to avoid going over.  My average this week was 2495. My daily goal is 2500. ...I'd say that's pretty close.

Building Bonds - 2/3 - B

Bench Dips - 30 > 32

Chin-Ups - 11 > 12

BW Squats - 70

Sit-ups - 28

Foam roller ate my gains. Boo.

Tapping Into Genius - 5/5 - A

Passed this goal and passed the latest version of the outline to be edited. Major win for the week AND for letting go, lol. 

WEEK 5 SUMMARY

Aestivalis Strength - C

Walk - 5/5

Lifts  - 2/3

Chins- 1/1

Tuesday ate my grade here, but I'm pretty proud of what I was able to accomplish on the days I went, hence C. I found my 5lb limit on DL and squat, keeping OHP steady, and am now focused on getting BP in line. Walking is tough to deal with on 90+ degree days, and will continue to be a challenge for Week 6. I'm going to start doing sets of chins again, as I think at this point on the cusp of intermediate level lifting it will benefit my BP and OHP enormously without overwhelming me. We shall see what Week 6 brings. 

Avg calories for the week is 2465, a little bit low but fairly close. I feel like I've been far more steady generally on this calorie range, less needing to lie down on the couch. 

Building Bonds - 3/3 - A

Bench Dips - 32 > 35

Chin-Ups - 12 > 13

BW Squats - 70 > 71

Sit-ups - 28

Tapping Into Genius - 5/5 - A

Still waiting on feedback, as expected, but I have pressed on and am generating new content anyway. So yay for that.

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

YOU GET TO BURNING~ *sings*  :love_heart:  :love_heart:

Man, your oldschool anime challenges make me happy!!  RURI IS AWESOME.

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

YOU GET TO BURNING~ *sings*  :love_heart:  :love_heart:

Man, your oldschool anime challenges make me happy!!  RURI IS AWESOME.

tumblr_n67x6vMCJE1s7ppnso1_500.gif

Old school is where it's at. 

• Like 1

THIS SHOW. MY HEART.

LET'S GO GEKIGANGAR!!

Z6CdQq8.jpg

Following for awesome~

Retro mechs win.

Also, edited OP to add grading...yay actual metrics for determining success...

Life  LOVE is a battlefield

tumblr_lqideaGVIb1qlrinq.gif

Sorry, I just had to Pat Benatar you.

Careful battles ftw.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

tumblr_lqideaGVIb1qlrinq.gif

Sorry, I just had to Pat Benatar you.

Careful battles ftw.

Lol, actually I was thinking much the same thing. While I was writing the challenge, this was in my head:

• Like 1

You have made a Nadesico-themed challenge.

I have no choice but to follow you.

Sub.

tumblr_m1mzctsEPc1qzqnxxo1_r1_500.gif

This tiny adorable Gekiganger compels you.

• Like 2

No real clue about Nadesico but I'm in! Let's do this!!

Sci-fi/space opera with mechs, nods to other anime like Evangelion and Space Battleship Yamato, references to otaku-dom, a huge cast of crazy yet adorably relatable characters, tons of action, and even some good music! What I'm saying is you need to give it a watch, lol. 

Subbed to return the support...and for the gainz!

Alllllll of the gainz. And milk. All of that, too.

• Like 4

Edited in stat points to be awarded at the end of the challenge.

For the minis, I chose standard dips, chin-ups, wall-sits, sit-ups

Week 0 Day 4!

Aestivalis Strength

Walk:      1.15 mi @ 20:21

OHP:       1x5 @ 45

1x2 @ 53

3x3 @ 53

1x2 @ 53

BP:          NA

Squat:     1x5 @ 45

1x5 @ 65

1x3 @ 100

3x3 @ 129--PR+2!!

Deadlift:  1x5 @ 100

1x3 @ 160

Chins:     NA

The hit parade: left knee wtf

My knee and I aren't on speaking terms again, but we haven't separated yet, lol. With a sleeve it's not sore, but it doesn't like extension too much. It's come at as good a time as any, because I feel this is the last hoorah on this run of linear progression. I've done some more thinking, and decided I was premature to say I'd hit intermediate. I've gotten stuck such that my squat form is beginning to become questionable and my deadlifts aren't progressing, so I'll deload to 60 on the squat, to 90 on deadlift. My presses are fine where they are, I have plenty of work to do there. When squat returns to 100, I will implement the light squat days. Once I'm back up to challenge 130 and 165lbs, respectively, I will attempt to make gains by any set x rep configuration necessary along with light squats to crack the plateau. We'll go from there. I've got one more deload in me and I should stay in novice until I've wrung it dry. Forgive my over-exuberance.

I'm going to follow the novice progression as if I've never done barbell training before for as long as I can before making modifications to sets or reps, this way I'll be able to gauge if the deload is improving my strength. 

Eating Like the Crew

MFP

Net Calories(2250-2750): 2459

Today was about as on target as a person can get, I think, unless I'd had more of an appetite and ate another chicken breast. But I didn't, so I didn't. I'm not grading my protein this time, as I've structured my meals around getting as much protein as I can and I generally get more grams of protein than lbs of bodyweight, so the rest is gravy. 

Building Bonds

Really Earn Those Minis

The minis haven't started yet, but we had sign-up and I completed mine quickly. 

Tapping Into Genius

No writing or editing last night per say, but did a bit of brainstorming. 

• Like 1

Well, you can storm your brain all you like, but in the end, you need that butt-in-chair time.

Spoken as someone who could use more himself. ^_^;;

Is there anything you'd like me to do to hold you accountable?

If I bomb the Tapping Into Genius (or any other) quest on Week 1, feel free to haunt me. I got some catching up to do!

Week 0 Day 5!

Aestivalis Strength

Walk:      1.11 mi @ 23:36

OHP:       NA

Squat:     NA

Deadlift:  NA

The hit parade: left knee

My knee was still bothering me, so back to the sleeve I went to get by. Normal Friday stuff wore me out, so I came home, showered and faceplanted on the couch. Not sure exactly how long I slept. Ate dinner at 10...meh.

Eating Like the Crew

MFP

Net Calories(2250-2750): 2,693

No cooking today, I barely felt like shuffling around until late. Mike brought home a baked potato, which was awesome.

Building Bonds

Really Earn Those Minis - 0/6

Done for this week!

Tapping Into Genius

Nothing today. 

Week 0 Day 6!

Aestivalis Strength

Walk:      1.06 mi @ 19:04

OHP:       NA

Squat:     NA

Deadlift:  NA

The hit parade: left knee

My knee didn't bother me much, really, which was good since we were folded up in a car for five hours while going to get a maine coon kitten! He is eight weeks old and so adorable, currently dwelling in his own private space in our guest bathroom. He's eating, drinking, pooping, and sleeping just fine, he's just a bit afraid of all the hundreds of new things going on around here. He'll come around. No name for the little gremlin yet, but we'll find one. The other cats aren't too upset at the moment, which is a win-win. I'll post pics eventually, sorry about the slow posts lately. This weekend has been crazy. More to come.

As a result of the long trip and in an abundance of caution, I gave my knee a rest today (I'm lifting on Sunday instead). Felt like all my gains are slipping away!

Eating Like the Crew

MFP

Net Calories(2250-2750): 2,450

Today was a game of "it's for your own good, eat dinner." I just about would have rather gone to bed and skipped it, but I would have missed my macros for the day. Blagh, it was a testimony to my commitment to lifting that I had anything at all. You're welcome, body. When I wanted to eat, it wasn't all that good, but excitement and road travel lead to days like this. 

Building Bonds

Really Earn Those Minis - 0/6

Done for this week!

Tapping Into Genius

A little work done adding to the outline--after battling the forces of darkness, a dramatic reunion! This is kind of a big deal, as I've been at a loss as to how to connect the dots of major plot points here. The plot itself is already a known quantity in my head. 

• Like 2

EEEEEEEE! KITTEN! :D :D :D 

Grats on the new addition to your fam. 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Oh gosh Maine Coons are just precious.  I bet his feet and ears are SO GIGANTIC RIGHT MEOW (see what I did there?)

Haha I hate when I get off my lifting schedule due to life/injury/etc and I get a forlorn moment like "my gains... they are going away... I'm not even going to be able to lift the bar anymore...."  Silly brains.

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

EEEEEEEE! KITTEN! :D :D :D

Grats on the new addition to your fam. 

Thanks! He's settling in slowly but progress is being made!

WHERE ARE MY KITTEN PICS.

RIGHT HERE. I GOT YOUR KITTEN PICS RIGHT HERE. 

Maine Coon Kitten

He's starting to explore a teeeeeeny bit, but he is very much afraid of the slightest sound.

Unhappy Maggy Observes Kitten

Maggy is Unhappy with this development, but she's behaving herself as best as she can.

Oh gosh Maine Coons are just precious.  I bet his feet and ears are SO GIGANTIC RIGHT MEOW (see what I did there?)

Haha I hate when I get off my lifting schedule due to life/injury/etc and I get a forlorn moment like "my gains... they are going away... I'm not even going to be able to lift the bar anymore...."  Silly brains.

They are just the best ever. His parents are SO BIG. All is right with the world re: lifting, I shall get on track and report my Sunday and get up on the minis (I am off until at least Wednesday to help the kitten adjust...plenty of time to get some reps in for the mini.

• Like 2