Official shorts: £24.99

Kick-boxing trousers: £29.99

Chest guard: £34.99

Shin guards - £20.00

Head-guard - £29.99

Gloves: £25.00

Groin-guard: £9.99

Gum shield £2.00

That's a little off £190. I don't know, I just don't fancy walking around in a bloody suit of armor! On the plus side; black, white, pink, blue and red are available and I'm assuming you get to choose which color you want. ^^

Also, £30.00 monthly subscription fee and grading starts from £17.00 and until black belt, at which you have to pay £100.00 for the exam. I'm not even a martial artist yet and I know that's utterly ridiculous. =_=

That's a lot of money all at once!

I get the need for protective gear but when I started karate I was told to buy my gear from anywhere. They have their own shop, but it can be a bit pricy initially so it was recommended that I bought the expensive (and probably better quality) stuff later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow it's weird to not have posted this thread.

Also posting from the future. Really weird.

Guess I can think up a challenge on my flight back. Challenge goal one: Sleep for days to make up for Jet lag.

SHUT UP

We hate you.

Can we ban this guy!?!? If only I were a moderator...

Sent disgracefully from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's going to depend on how many nerdy shenanigans he got into. Each shenanigan is worth a certain amount of points. He has to beat a certain amount of points, or he can't stay here.

• Like 1

I think it's going to depend on how many nerdy shenanigans he got into. Each shenanigan is worth a certain amount of points. He has to beat a certain amount of points, or he can't stay here.

I've been getting running commentary.  I'd judge he's at a significant deficit.  

• Like 1

Does training at Iwama count? Cuz I'm on the train heading that way now.

Also eating all the mochi is nerdy, right?

But how do we know this is true?! If only we had any photographic evidence or else this event did not happened.

Sent disgracefully from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys.

THAT WAS FUCKING AWESOME.

And, uh, yea, I have a lot of food pictures. Mostly of breakfasts and dinners. Japanese breakfasts are amazing and I want them forever and ever now. And they have to be prepared for me, because i could never figure out how to work with the ingredients.

• Like 3

Evening folks! 

Mandrill here from the Assassin's guild. Now, part of my current challenge is to start training in a martial art. However, I'm completely clueless on pretty much everything within this field! I stand before you hoping that you'll lend some of your knowledge to the newest of newbies. ^^

I've looked around my town and the styles that are taught are the following:

1. Boxing

2. Choi Li Fut

3. Hapkido

4. Taekwondo 

5. Shotokan Karate

6. Brazilian Jiu-jitsu

7. Jikishin Jujutsu

8. Kickboxing (probably not going to try this, to be honest. They require that students buy almost £200 worth of equipment and only from the school itself).

My end goal here is not so much practical self defense, but more so I want something that'll push me to my very limits. The martial artists I've encountered so far have usually been among the toughest people I've ever met and it's that toughness I'm really looking to develop. It wouldn't hurt to do something that's physically taxing, too. ^^

What do you guys think? How did you all choose your styles and what do you think I should keep in mind? Thanks for reading. :D

I'm a little late to this party, and there has been a lot of good advice sent your way already. I just wanted to chime in and say that I've seen some good Choy Li Fut practiced, and I was very impressed with them. I've found as a Kung Fu novice that Chinese martial arts can be both very demanding and very rewarding, but so much depends on the school and teacher.

More than anything, martial arts under a good teacher will give you back everything you're willing to give, and more. Lineage, even the art itself, and all that other stuff isn't nearly as important, in my opinion, as whether the school's master and elder students are strong, fast and effective. If they're people you feel you can look up to and that you can learn from, then you're in the right place.

I'm babbling now.... ^.^ but just one more thing. I've only been at it six months, and I already wish I had started training Kung Fu years ago. I hope you find exactly the right school for you! :D

• Like 2