Perhaps the most entertaining MMA class in a while.  Nate, the assistant teacher (who is now basically the teacher, since he's training to become a full-on coach and whatnot), shows up right before class starts... with four very attractive girls in tow, who he somehow convinced through his day job to try out MMA. Apparently all on the same night.  They themselves were not the entertaining part...

... no, the entertaining part was watching 20 guys try to show off and suck in their guts without LOOKING like they were showing off or sucking in their guts.  Good times. 

• Like 6

…

... no, the entertaining part was watching 20 guys try to show off and suck in their guts without LOOKING like they were showing off or sucking in their guts.  Good times. 

Hah! There's this concept that was brought up in my art called sprezzatura (which I am familiar with through another if unrelated nerddom of mine) which can be defined as a "nonchalant competence." I think this is a useful skill to have, and now I'm wondering if anyone has tried to make it one of their challenge goals.

Ooh, I've heard of that. These days it's called "F*ck you" strength, the idea that a given task can be made so easy on account of having so much strength that if someone challenged you with it, you could complete it effortlessly. I find this concept fascinating, especially as it relates to being anti-fragile.

Hello all!  First round of recruits.  SevenFootGeek, Stillskies and Black Tezca have been by for greetings and invitations.  Thank you!

Alathel is into half of  everything Monkish and is currently focused on archery.

EdF is into Boxing and has a very full schedule planned.

Chen has already been by :-)

Peachy has a bear-themed challenge involving trying out martial arts schools (modeled after Black Tezca's last challenge!)

• Like 1

Hi everyone, :nevreness:

after skulking around for years i got myself to participate. I chose a Warrior/Monk hybrid in my case called Paladin because i am not just working on becoming better martial artist, but also strive to be a better man. I have 15 years of martial arts experience, but now I train mostly alone.

For me martial arts are more about the physical attributes of the fighter and the whole martial part of mindset. Perfect technique is epic, but speed, strength, timing, reflexes, endurance and distance judgement are somewhat more important for me. Never got into the meditation and an artsy part. Maybe when I when i grow older.... :tongue:  

Starting my first challenge battling cold (from over training and bad sleeping mostly) so the most fitness thing i will do this week is watching american ninja warrior and some mobility work :D .

Eating raw garlic, onions and drinking lemon juice hoping to be battle-ready at the end of the week.

I will post some progress reports when i get healthy again.

Great to be finally here. Good luck and have FUN on your challenges. 

podpis%20nf.png

• Like 5

Welcome Alathel!

Eating raw garlic and onions?!!?

YOU BEAST!!

Don't give Kishi ideas!

He gave us a mini-cahllege of taking cold showers once! If he starts making us eat raw and unforgiveably potent veggies to maintain our health then I might have to sneak over to the warriors.....

Shhhh.....

• Like 1

Coach: *gives big speech about how sparring is never about hurting your opponent, how it's about developing style and technique and comfort and ability. Have fun, take it easy, don't knock the other guy out*

Cue 16 guys then immediately trying to KO eachother.

• Like 5

Hi everyone,

I'm starting my first challenge here at Nerd Fitness. It's been years since I've practiced martial arts with any regularity, and a big part of my challenge is getting back my kicks. I'll be stealing a good chunk of my workout from Cheechoe's hip routine; thanks in advance!

If anyone has a suggestion for a school in the Portland area I should visit, or wants to suggest an art for me to investigate, please feel free.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Coach: *gives big speech about how sparring is never about hurting your opponent, how it's about developing style and technique and comfort and ability. Have fun, take it easy, don't knock the other guy out*

It's nice to see that 'going light' is a falsehood in other places too. :)

Saw this at the Kung Fu tournament last month. The sparring matches are supposed to be "light-contact" -- yeah, tell that to the guy in the intermediate division who could barely stand up after taking a hit to the side of the head :/

Two people there are the "light and fun" type... me, and a guest we currently have from Quesnel (former partner of champ-to-be Rory MacDonald) who bounces around and makes his own whoosh-boof! sound effects. I pull all my punches and kicks, and end up eating power rights to the face because of it.  Which is why I quit last year.  Aaaargh.

• Like 1

we do light contact in class for sparring practice, but if we hit too hard (judged by your partner, so don't piss them off lol) we get the push up penalty, also if we don't get close enough we get a fun lecture about how we need to practice for contact without hurting each other

My father uses raw onions to for curing colds. He puts them in a mixer with warm water, lemon juice and honey. Nasty stuff... I made fun of his face once, while he drank it. He than challenged me to drink on to. After that I keep my mouth shut.

ewwwww. Wow.

Now I'm just curious.

It sounds like the "Fear Factor" games I used to play in our TKD kids summer camp. Ugghhhh. we made ALL the nasties in my blender. I even made a girl barf >.<

She laughed though. hehehe. I'm a horrible adult.

Sounds like woman's bracket before tournament sparring:

"Ehh...I've been kind of injured lately...so I'm just not going to go too hard."

"I'm just getting over a cold"

"Ughh...I just don't have energy because Shark Week"

"Yeah, I just want t get experience and have a good time"

Called into the ring: TRIES TO TAKE YOUR HEAD OFF

-____-

I live in Mean Girls.

Hi everyone,

I'm starting my first challenge here at Nerd Fitness. It's been years since I've practiced martial arts with any regularity, and a big part of my challenge is getting back my kicks. I'll be stealing a good chunk of my workout from Cheechoe's hip routine; thanks in advance!

If anyone has a suggestion for a school in the Portland area I should visit, or wants to suggest an art for me to investigate, please feel free.

Cheers!

Welcome peachy! :D

What art do you do?