• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Shogun

The Monastery Kitchen

Scalable rice bowl formula:

1 serving protein of choice

3 servings mixed veggies

1/2 serving edamame or other cooked bean.

1 serving brown rice (or other whole grain)

Optional: 1 serving avocado or other healthy fat

Top with sauce of choice. 

Today's had green beans, onion, mushrooms, heirloom carrots, broccoli, beets and spinach with brown rice, hardboiled eggs and a home made sesame ginger topping. 

I will eat ALL THE VEGGIES.

• Like 4

Slow cooker curried yellow peas and chicken

2 chicken breasts or 4chicken thighs, chopped

2 cups dried yellow peas

1/2 head chopped cauliflower

2 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped

2 cups fresh or one brick frozen spinach

4 cloves garlic

2 TSP fresh ginger, grated

2 TSP ground turmeric

2 bay leaves

1 tsp ground cumin

2 tbsp lemon juice

4 cups chicken broth

Dump all the above in slow cooker. Cook 8hours. Remove bay leaves. Serve with brown rice or flatbread. Make if food prep for a week or if you need to feed a small army on the cheap.

Substitutions: may substitute any leafy cooking green for spinach, and carrots for sweet potatoes.

• Like 3

Beef sweet potato and asparagus penne

1 onion, diced

250g dried penne

2 sweet potatoes, sliced

2 tbsp olive oil

12 asparagus spears cut in thirds

1 lb lean ground beef

2 cloves garlic

2 cups beef stock

Pepper

2 TSP corn starch

Start a pot of water boiling. In a large frying pan, cook onion in oil. Add beef when onion is translucent. After beef begins to brown, add sweet potato, asparagus, garlic, pepper and need stock. 

By now the water should be boiling. Add pasta to the water. 3 minutes before pasta is done, put starch in a cup and stir it to a paste with cold water, then add it to the beef mix and stir. Drain the pasta and mix everything together.

Makes 4 servings

• Like 2

On 11/11/2018 at 12:01 PM, sarakingdom said:

So you're a witch of the Discworld persuasion. (And/or belong to a CSA, I don't judge.) It is time to eat. This is your recipe:

Turn the oven on to 385 and wash an oven-proof dish.

Decide it's time to think about what to make.

Look at the produce on the counter. Take ten or twelve green cherry tomatoes from the giant bowl of them. Quarter them and put them in the dish. Whatever's there. People give you random stuff. This is the witching economy.

Look in the produce drawer. It's a little bare, save for a few soup essentials. Find carrots. Take one. Chop into thick slices and put them in the dish. Find a head of cabbage. Take a one-tenth wedge and slice it into strips. Add to the dish.

Mix everything in the dish. Go to the pot of green onions on the windowsill. Trim the longest by a few inches; at least two, as many as six. Or eight. Or twelve. I don't tell you what to do. That's between you and your green onions. Maybe grab a bit of garlic greens in there if you've planted some cloves of garlic. Chop roughly over the dish.

Look around to see if there's anything else. Remember the teacup full of rosemary you stripped off a cutting. Grab maybe a tablespoon of that. Chop and sprinkle over the dish.

Cut a ploughman's lunch quantity of cheddar off the clock. This is 3-4 ounces, for those who rarely eat mythical farm laborer food. Chop/side into the biggest pieces you're comfortable using with an instruction along the lines of "Cover with cheese". Cover dish with cheese.

The oven is close enough to temperature by now. Put in the oven for half an hour. Make tea. Drink tea. Go spend your time on something.

The timer goes off. Magically there is food. It is a plate of rich fragrant deliciousness loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein, with, and this is important, golden roasted gooey crunchifying cheese all over.

Congratulations, you have made breakfast out of kitchen scraps and whatever, and somehow it is actual tasty food.

My cat is named Gytha  (she'll be called Nanny when she gets older). Younger cat is named Carrot,but should have been named Nobby. He not so smart.

In the words of Esmerelda "Granny" Weatherwax, "Cheese, is good."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tzippi Longstockings said:

My cat is named Gytha  (she'll be called Nanny when she gets older). Younger cat is named Carrot,but should have been named Nobby. He not so smart.

Oh, Nobby is plenty smart! He's just dodgy as heck. It's an intelligence purely dedicated to petty criminality and smartassery. Fred Colon, on the other hand...

Maybe your younger cat is still a raw recruit, before he figures out he's unofficially king. Carrot was a bit... simple.

(You have found me during a rare non-Discworld challenge.)

• Like 1

Yesterday's culinary adventure was cabbage rolls made from scratch with cauliflower substituted for rice. 

Sauce on it wasn't great. Kinda bland with bitter aftertaste. Anyone have good cabbage rolls sauce recipes?

On 3/19/2019 at 4:01 AM, chemgeek said:

Yesterday's culinary adventure was cabbage rolls made from scratch with cauliflower substituted for rice. 

Sauce on it wasn't great. Kinda bland with bitter aftertaste. Anyone have good cabbage rolls sauce recipes?

I think this is the one I used, but left out the sugar (and didn't miss it) 

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-weeknight-cabbage-rolls-239430

I will check when I get home and see if that is the right one, but even if it's not The Kitchn is a great recourse and I normally like anything I make from them

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Treva said:

Sage level meal prepping. pea pods with parm and pork shoulder sounds delicious.  I'm going to have to try both of those.  Did you season the pork with anything special?

The pea pods are super easy to cook. Heat the oven to 425ºF while you toss the pea pods with a little olive oil. Spread on a baking pan. Bake 10 minutes. Take them out and sprinkle with grated Parmesan (the real kind, not the powder that comes in a green can). Bake three minutes more. Voila!

I used an oven-roasted pork recipe that I found online. I didn't write down the site and now I can't find it to give them credit. My family likes this better than our previous crock-pot method.

Oven-roasted pork shoulder

Preheat oven to 450ºF

Spice rub:

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 Tbsp maple syrup

1 Tbsp Dijon mustard

1 Tbsp minced garlic (more if you like garlic)

1 1/2 tsp thyme

1 tsp salt

1/8 tsp chipotle pepper (optional)

fresh ground black pepper to taste

Rinse the pork shoulder and spread spice rub all over it. Put it in a 9x13" baking pan, fat side up. Bake 20 minutes at 450ºF. Turn the heat down to 300ºF. Cover the roast loosely with foil - not touching the surface of the meat. Bake about 8 hours.

I put this in the oven at 9pm and took it out at 6am and it was perfect. The only problem is that the house smells like food when people are trying to sleep.

• Like 1

2 jalapenos

3 cloves garlic

Some random leftover bits of onion

All the stems and ugly bits of a bunch of cilantro, minced

Some lime juice

Some olive oil

Some salt

Bung it all in a blender until it's a sauce. Eat it on things. It's delicious.

• Like 1

Baked salmon with stir fry veggies

Marinade:

2 tbsp olive oil

2 tbsp maple syrup

2 tbsp soy sauce

2 tbsp lemon juice

1 tbsp miso

1 tsp garlic

1 tsp ginger

4 serving salmon fillet

Mix marinade. Marinate salmon for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350. Bake 25 minutes. Turn oven up to broil. Broil 5 minutes. Serve.

Goes well with stir fry veggies. :)

• Like 1

Instant pot curry

1 chicken breast chopped to bite sized pieces

1 chopped onion

1 can coconut milk

2 cups dry green lentils or split peas

1 800mL can pumpkin

340g spinach

45g curry paste

1 tbsp red pepper flakes

2 cloves diced garlic

4 cups water

Add all to pot, stir, set to low pressure and 15 minute cook time. Cook. Serve with rice

• Like 1