• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Shogun

The Monastery Kitchen

Hmm, I've never had bulletproof coffee... Somehow I manage to get more than enough fat from regular foods. I'm just about always over my macro target for fat.

That Kerrygold butter in your photo, though... Isn't it the best butter on the planet? Yum!

The recipe called for unsalted grass fed butter, but it emphasized the grass fed more than the unsalted. I couldn't find one that was both at my supermarket, hence the Kerrygold butter. No complaints though from my end. That stuff IS delicious.

• Like 1

Huh! Interesting! You use salted butter in your recipe? I thought the standard was to go unsalted...

Se, Kishi went "Salted Butter?" and my first reaction was "Wait, cappuccino!?"

Sounds tasty.  For a while when I was trying to up calories I was adding half a tablespoon of coconut oil into my black coffee.  I liked the taste.  In general it's a tasty mix.  Haven't done it in a long while.  Then again, my work outs aren't are crazy as warlock's and don't need that fuel.

• Like 1

Hahaha thanks dude I appreciate you saying my workouts go hard, The main reason I've been loving it is because it's a ton of caffeine in that espresso, but because it's all fat and no sugar is in there, the caffeine goes on a slow burn rather than hitting me in a quick spike with a sudden crash. Plus it's a good breakfast substitute.

Hahaha thanks dude I appreciate you saying my workouts go hard, The main reason I've been loving it is because it's a ton of caffeine in that espresso, but because it's all fat and no sugar is in there, the caffeine goes on a slow burn rather than hitting me in a quick spike with a sudden crash. Plus it's a good breakfast substitute.

That..... is absolutely brilliant.  I wouldn't have really thought of that.  Awesome.  Now I just need to make espresso in the morning instead of a quick French press.

• Like 1

That bullet coffee wasn't half bad. Two tbsp. of coconut oil and one tbsp. of butter does it for me. I haven't a clue what salted butter would taste like with it though. Might be worth trying again.

The effects of the coffee definitely lasted longer than normal though!

image_zpsmr0ja8va.jpg

Just dropping this here.  Shrimp cacciatore, thrown on top of a heaping helping of spaghetti squash.  It was fantastic.  Also I need to remember to stock frozen shrimp more when they are on sale - low calorie, high protein, quick thawing....  Really there is nothing not to love.  Especially when slathered in butter, garlic, and a bit of tomato.

• Like 2

Gonna share a dessert recipe because it was amazing and idc that it's not the healthiest thing because sometimes we all need brownies, right? Right? 

Yes. Good.

BROWNIES THAT TASTE LIKE THEY'RE OUT OF A BOX BUT AREN'T AND STAY MOIST AND CHEWY THE NEXT DAY (I just call them 'Brownies')

1 3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa power (I used the Trader Joe's brand)

1/2 tsp baking soda

12 tbsp unsalted butter

2 large eggs

2 cups sugar

1 cup boiling water

Vanilla extract to taste (pretty sure I used, like, 1/4 of a bottle. >.>)

1/2 tsp of salt

1 1/3 cups of flour (I used unbleached whole wheat flour)

Putting it together is pretty easy:

1. Preheat oven to 350*
  2. Line a baking pan with parchment paper OR coat with butter/non-stick spray (whichever you prefer - I adore parchment paper)
  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cocoa powder and the baking soda until mixed
  4. Add half of the butter. Mix until smooth.
  5. Add sugar, eggs and rest of butter to mixture. Combine until smooth.
  6. Stir in boiling water until your batter is essentially brownie-colored water
  7. Add in vanilla and salt. Do a taste test to see if your batter is sweet enough for you. If it is, continue on. If not, add more vanilla.
  8. Slowly stir in flour. Mix until traditional brownie mixture texture.
  9. Pour into waiting pan.
  10. Bake for 30-40 minutes.

Voila! Tasty brownies! I baked mine for 30 minutes and they were the perfect texture. I also like mine a little sweeter, so I added more vanilla because heck yeah vanilla. I also totally didn't add the water until after I had already started baking it (I spaced it, but tossed the batter back in the bowl, added the water, and mixed until perfect, then put back in and baked for 30 minutes, whoops). 

To make it even better, feel free to add nuts (I'm allergic, so #nope for me), caramel sauce/pieces (sea salt caramel brownies, nom), or chocolate chips/fudge sauce (for more chocolately goodness).

Picture of finished product:

11846764_1004665256252696_38742906654178

• Like 3

Why?  Almonds are freaking delicious.

I agree. I'm eating a 100 calorie pack of walnuts and almonds right now.

But I do like the walnuts better. I pick out & eat all the almonds first.

Why?  Almonds are freaking delicious.

I agree. I'm eating a 100 calorie pack of walnuts and almonds right now.

But I do like the walnuts better. I pick out & eat all the almonds first.

Yeah, but brownies, y'all.

Not much of a recipe but easy and quick. 

• Bake some frozen salmon chunks
  • Simmer a combination of water, vegetable bouillon, frozen broccoli, frozen greens mix (spinach, rappini, onions, red peppers), pepper, salt, and summer savory until the salmon is finished. 
  • Then throw some rice vermicelli into the soup for the last few min
  • Serve with a chunk of salmon on top.

Chili power and a bit of soya sauce may have been better than summer savory and salt.

• Like 1

Moved to the new forum to continue the recipe fun.

Fun fact.  Found out I actually like salmon this weekend.  Apparently I just need to remove the fatty skin areas that create the fish oils that I really hate.

Also I learned I still do not like salad.  Just give me the toppings in a bowl, please.

• Like 2

Moved to the new forum to continue the recipe fun.

Fun fact.  Found out I actually like salmon this weekend.  Apparently I just need to remove the fatty skin areas that create the fish oils that I really hate.

Also I learned I still do not like salad.  Just give me the toppings in a bowl, please.

I never used to like the skin either, but then i found crispy salmon skin... doesnt have a lot of fishy flavor (to me) especially with some garlic salt on it... We've even used crispy salmon skin like taco shells... 

Also wahoo is a really mild and firm fish if you can find it.