• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Shogun

The Monastery Kitchen

Today's lunch: Swedish pyttipanna

64c40e75a1f5a885cf3454d4febd179c.jpg

Potato, carrot, onion and Swedish sausage mixed in an oven dish with rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and a little oil. Bake in the oven for ~50 mins; served with fried egg.

• Like 2

so I'm trying to figure out how to get 110 grams of protein (click to watch my 6 week mantra) per day ... so far i have:

breakfast:

soy or cow milk 7 g

oatmeal - 5 g (w/tbsp PB = 8 g)

2 eggs and 1 egg white - 21 g

= 31-36 g

snack:

fruit + nut butter or almonds = 6 g

lunch:

ezekiel bread 2 slc - 8 g

1/2 serving salami - 7 g

1 serving ham - 11

1 slice chz - 4 g

= 30 g

snack:

fruit 0 g + veggies/hummus 4 g

dinner:
i suck at dinner bc i dont really liked cooked whole meats like chicken breast/most fish but I love chicken salad on toast or just in a bowl... honestly i dont think i really like eating dinner. Maybe make my second snack time my "dinner portion" and change the dinner to a snack portion.

Spicy Thai Kale Tofu << my homeboy for dinner. Its Spicy, PeanutButtery Tofu with kale and sweet peppers and chili/cumin spice mix. I love it so much its like my ultimate healthy food crack. but I need to switch it up. plus I havent figured out the protein amts in each serving so i might need something to supplement.

= around 16 g per bowl coming from the tofu/kale/pb.

= 92 g total so far so i tried just adding a 20 g/serving powder supplement to hit my 110 quota....

Supplements:

I bought the EAS 100% whey protein supplement and after two smoothies with frozen fruit its made me so sick to my stomach and i burp like crazy and I cannot figure out why. has anyone else experienced this related to whey? I am going to brave it again alone with just water to see if it might be the fruit mix making me sick...

Thoughts? Advice? Do you have a delish protein fix or your personal fav "ultimate healthy food crack" recipe? 

With regard to your whey woes, this is not surprising. Whilst whey is generally a good, solid supplement, it is not all-wheys. :P

Dinner meats would probably be your simplest solution, but if you hate eating those then that's just not gonna work. Not a fan of chicken breast or fish... what about ground meat like turkey or beef? Those things tend to be ridiculously good protein sources, and are pretty flavorful, not dry and chalky like chicken breast.

PB and other nut butters are good. Beans are another good source of protein and fiber, but if your body doesn't like the lecithins and other stuff that come along for the ride, you may want to reconsider. Cheese is a good source of protein. Yogurt can be a good one, and Greek yogurt in particular, but you'll want to make sure that you avoid anything with fruit fillings or added sugar in general. Go full fat to make up for it. :)

As to whey, well. Labdoor is a site that tests supplements to see how they measure up against their claims. EAS is not a terribly strong product. While it's probably better to shoot for a whole foods-based solution, you have to do what fits you and your tastes and what you'll actually follow through on.

• Like 1

@Kishi:

Thanks for the suggestions! I will do a turkey chili this week with edamame... I try to keep the total carb count low since I share the meals I cook with a type I diabetic. I made my Thai kale tofu crack ahead. Gonna bake a chicken today and tear it up for chicken salad where I will sub part or all the mayo for Greek yogurt and add some grapes and chopped nuts. Mmmm maybe I'm just a "one-pot" dinner style girl but I do love other things like a good angus burger or chicken Marsala those are just harder to make than basic baked chicken so I need to be less lazy to enjoy my food more...

• Like 1

I accidentally the best Korean BBQ crock-pot mess ever on the weekend.  Making it again for a fundraiser on Wednesday, I'll post the improved recipe then! Low-fat, high-veggie, high-protein, super-good.

• Like 3

All right. Here's a banana nut bread recipe that generally goes over well for those who like that sort of thing (I am not one of them).

INGREDIENTS

3 ripe bananas

2 large eggs

1/2 cup of sugar

1/2 cup of shortening

2 cups of bread flour

1/2 tsp sugar

1 tsp baking soda

1 cup of walnuts

BAKING INSTRUCTIONS

1. ​Preheat oven to 350*. 
  2. Line pan of choice with parchment paper or use non-stick cooking spray (I recommend parchment paper)
  3. In a large bowl, mix eggs, sugar and shortening together until blended
  4. In a separate bowl, mash bananas
  5. Add mashed bananas to egg/sugar/shortening mix. Stir until blended.
  6. Sift flour, salt and baking soda together.
  7. Slowly add sifted mixture to egg/sugar/shortening/banana mix, stirring to blend.
  8. Add walnuts (if desired)
  9. Pour batter into pan
  10. Bake for 50-60 minutes
  11. Let cool and devour

Today's lunch: Swedish pyttipanna

64c40e75a1f5a885cf3454d4febd179c.jpg

Potato, carrot, onion and Swedish sausage mixed in an oven dish with rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and a little oil. Bake in the oven for ~50 mins; served with fried egg.

So making this.

• Like 3

It would appear that JJ be bringing that kitchen game strong, son.

Hah, imma gonna keep throwing pics of my dinners at you until I get barred from the monastery kitchen...

Today I wanted comfort food, so cooked isterband (another type of Swedish sausage) with mashed potatoes and rainbow chard:

7e1ac8c628bee7f62082021ab17dadd5.jpg

The sausages are baked in the oven with gherkins (pickles) and red onion. The chard I just sauteed in a bit of olive oil. It was goood...

• Like 3

Dang, even your comfort food is good. When I want comfort, I have fast food nearby and a freezer full of pastries.

Total envy.

Dat food prep.  Nice, Machete.  I need to get better at doing that.  Though the roommate may kill me for taking up all the fridge space.

My food from the last few days.  Meals made with the girlfriend.

image_zpsaumbcteb.jpg

Goat cheese-stuffed lamb meatloaf (no bread, mushrooms used for liquid absorption), sprouts, and mashed butternut squash.

image_zpsaumbcteb.jpg

Grilled sausage with roasted sugar pumpkin and some grilled/steamed veggies.

image_zpsb2zfug2t.jpg

Salmon with dill and lemon and cream of tartar, steamed veggies, and roasted butternut squash.

(I am now only realizing how much gourd I've eaten in the last few days.)

• Like 1

Part of my scheduling scheme.

12047196_1701323793433850_70819820842084

I've been doing a lot of this lately, too.  It saves so much damn time to make seven lunches instead of one.  Mostly salads in the summer, but it's getting to be hot food weather.  Good reminder, I should make a lunch this week, cooking's taken too much time the past few days.

Dat food prep.  Nice, Machete.  I need to get better at doing that.  Though the roommate may kill me for taking up all the fridge space.

My food from the last few days.  Meals made with the girlfriend.

image_zpsaumbcteb.jpg

Goat cheese-stuffed lamb meatloaf (no bread, mushrooms used for liquid absorption), sprouts, and mashed butternut squash.

image_zpsaumbcteb.jpg

Grilled sausage with roasted sugar pumpkin and some grilled/steamed veggies.

image_zpsb2zfug2t.jpg

Salmon with dill and lemon and cream of tartar, steamed veggies, and roasted butternut squash.

(I am now only realizing how much gourd I've eaten in the last few days.)

Damn. You guys do eat healthy when you're together. Very good!

*cough*

*puts the chocolate, Gummies, and fried food behind his back*

*cough*

Yea. Totally healthy.

>.>

<.<

Hey, it's your weight, man. When your current mass gets painful enough, you will work to burn it off and dial the diet in. Until then, it's yours to carry.

Is it not tiresome for you?

Hey, it's your weight, man. When your current mass gets painful enough, you will work to burn it off and dial the diet in. Until then, it's yours to carry.

Is it not tiresome for you?

Heh.

Anything I say to this will sound like an excuse.  And they all are, to an extent.  Part of the eating is BECAUSE it is tiresome.  Use up the reserve willpower and you run on fumes until things just... peter out.  It's hard to functionally have been on a cut for 3 years and still not reach goals that should have been met a long time ago. (Okay, technically I had a whole 3 days of being under 200# and then was laid off, starting this long circuit of shite.)

Anyway, I could rant.  My brain and heart just aren't into it now.

Heh.

Anything I say to this will sound like an excuse.  And they all are, to an extent.  Part of the eating is BECAUSE it is tiresome.  Use up the reserve willpower and you run on fumes until things just... peter out.  It's hard to functionally have been on a cut for 3 years and still not reach goals that should have been met a long time ago. (Okay, technically I had a whole 3 days of being under 200# and then was laid off, starting this long circuit of shite.)

Anyway, I could rant.  My brain and heart just aren't into it now.

I get it, man, I do. And I hope you don't take it as me being cruel in phrasing things that way. I dunno, I guess. Like. I just feel like we never hear about you doing well when it comes to that. You seem to highlight your failure to adhere way more than you do your successes. So they stand out more to me. And I'm your friend and I wanna see you prosper and kick ass and get the reward that you've worked so hard for. It drives me nuts, seeing you work so hard and be so disciplined only to have stretches of no-discipline that feel like they set you all the way back to where you were before.

I am pissed off for your greatness, man, and I want you to get it.

And it looks like you're changing the game up some so that you can do the thing. I hope it takes, man, I really do.

I got you. We all got you. Let's get it done.

• Like 2

Oh, I definitely focus more on the failures.  Anything that's a success I deem more as a "How it was supposed to happen" rather than a success.  It's why I'm solid troubleshooter.  I expect failure and try to go from there.  And I'm not an optimistic person.  Soooo.... that's why you guys tend to get my rants.

But yea.  Few new things down the pipeline.  Terrible time to try and do cuts this time of year.  But I'll survive.

• Like 2

How in the hell do I add photos into a post?? Yes I know I have done it before but that was via tapatalk on my android (I think, or else I have had a major brain lapse in the last couple of weeks) - can I do it from my PC or do I have to upload them to a photo hosting site? (Tried with photobucket but that wasn't allowed)

(I have managed to do it as attachments, but the pictures come up really tiny...)

Sorry for the OT.