• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Shogun

The Monastery Kitchen

Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. I'm sure if you're on a building phase it's the caloric source of kings. If I didn't have access to a free stream of pastries, this is probably what I would do. :D

shoot, knowing me, I might just do it anyway.

How in the hell do I add photos into a post?? Yes I know I have done it before but that was via tapatalk on my android (I think, or else I have had a major brain lapse in the last couple of weeks) - can I do it from my PC or do I have to upload them to a photo hosting site? (Tried with photobucket but that wasn't allowed)

(I have managed to do it as attachments, but the pictures come up really tiny...)

Sorry for the OT.

The way I've found to do it is to upload photos from my device to the gallery here. After that, I can just add stuff through the My Media button.

It's still kind of tiny, though, so I don't know if that's going to help.

Alrighty, prepare your brains and your face holes.

Sweet Potato Hash:

Baked sweet potato mixed in with sauteed onion, bell pepper, mushroom, green onion, and garlic.

Stuff you'll need

1 - 1.5 medium sized sweet potatoes

2 brown mushrooms (dunno what they're called, but they aren't portobello)

0.5 onion (red, sweet, yellow, whatever tastes best to you)

0.5 red bell pepper

3 - 4 stalks of green onion (I like it, so I put a lot)

1 - 2 cloves of garlic

EVOO

a large cookie sheet or two medium sized cookie sheets

a medium sized pan

a handful of fresh oregano (optional)

Salt & Pepper (optional)

Lemon (optional mandatory)

Cheyenne pepper (optional)

------

You're going to want the sweet potato to be soft and crispy. For me, that means that I preheat the oven to 400 °F.

Get the sweet potato ready by chopping each into bite sized pieces. I cut mine into 1/4 - 1/2 inch cubes. The smaller you go the crispier they'll get.

Oil up a cookie sheet, and toss the sweet potatoes cubes onto it. Use your hands and move them around, and flip them over to get them covered in oil. Next, season them if you'd like. I chose to use a small amount of salt, pepper, and cheyenne pepper. Put them in the oven for 20 - 25 mins, checking on them every 10 mins.

Set a pan on the stove on a medium-high heat. Don't put oil on the pan yet. While that heats, we chop the veggies.

You'll want to chop the bell pepper, onion, mushroom, green onion, and garlic. I like to chop my veggies rather fine, because I like to get them nice and browned. That's up to you. When everything is chopped, drizzle some EVOO into the hot pan and tilt the pan to get a nice coat of oil. Toss your veggies and make sure to stir them occasionally. You don't want them to burn! I like to drizzle lemon juice on my veggies and season them with a dash of salt and pepper. Of course, that's up to you (but really you should, because it tastes fantastic).

You should check your taters if you haven't already. If all is well, and you don't want to use any oregano, you're just waiting till the taters are done. If you'd like to use the oregano, see below. When the taters are done, you should be able to easily poke through one with a fork (if they are still hard, put them back in for 5 - 10 mins). Put a good helping of the chopped taters into a bowl, cover with a layer of your sauteed veggies, and serve.

I suggest putting another splash of lemon juice before eating. A teaspoon sized amount of A1 also goes really well with the hash. Mustard might seem like

If you're a cool kid and have some fresh oregano, you'll want to chop it up as soon as you put your veggies on to the stove. When you hit the 15 or 20 min mark, sprinkle the very finely chopped oregano onto the sweet potatoes and let them continue to bake. This way, you'll get the nice addition of the flavor of the oregano without burning the herbs. If you forgot to put the oregano in, that's fine, put the oregano onto the taters and let them bake 5 minutes more. The potatoes won't change that much in that time, but you'll still get the benefit of the oregano.

That's it, enjoy! Let me know of any cool additions, because i'll definitely be making this again.

If you wanted to add more protein, say some egg, that would probably taste fantastic. I would take the finished sweet potatoes out of the oven and toss them into the pan with the veggies. Mix the veggies and taters around a bit, then put in the egg. The egg will make a really nice binder between the potatoes and veggies. You'll want to turn the heat on the stove down to low-medium, otherwise the egg will cook too quickly.

• Like 1

I like that hash recipe, and thanks for that in depth write up!

I've recently taken to roasting off a bunch of sweet potatoes, and using them across several mornings.  It's so much faster to just pull them from the fridge and toss them in the pan to re-crisp a bit. 

My girlfriend likes a fried egg with a runny yolk on hers. 

I like that hash recipe, and thanks for that in depth write up!

I've recently taken to roasting off a bunch of sweet potatoes, and using them across several mornings.  It's so much faster to just pull them from the fridge and toss them in the pan to re-crisp a bit. 

My girlfriend likes a fried egg with a runny yolk on hers. 

You're welcome! I'm loving sweet potato more and more. It might be partially because no else wants to eat it, so I can have it all to myself. :P

I like to have my egg nice and soft, but i'm a little afraid of having them runny.

So I didn't get any pictures, but over thanksgiving I did end up making Carnitas. The recipe was super easy and I highly recommend it. The only disappointment was that I didn't make more. 

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/07/no-waste-tacos-de-carnitas-with-salsa-verde-recipe.html

The cinnamon was unexpectedly perfect in it. Added something I never realized was missing. The pork was also extremely juicy, even after crisping it up under the broiler (you can eat it cold and skip the broiling, but the crispyness adds another dimension to it.

We served it with some pinto beans and spanish rice and made tacos out of it that we took on our excursions for the rest of the weekend. Usually when we make a big batch of something, we're tired of it and can't wait for it to be gone after four days of it. not so with this recipe. Highly recommend it.

• Like 1

I got an instant pot for Christmas!

Since I'm a gypsy now, I am loving the multi-functionality of it. I had gotten rid of my slow cooker and rice cooker.

I've only made one recipe in it, my black bean and chicken stew that I rarely make because it takes hours. It took 45 minutes! Wahoo!!

Anyone got a good pressure cooker recipe or resource? I'm ready to eat so much better.

I've even been doing some serious thinking on road food, since that's been my weakness.

Anyone got a good pressure cooker recipe or resource? I'm ready to eat so much better.

I'd say check out Nom Nom Paleo, she seems to have a lot of pressure cooker recipes. I've seen a handful at Serious Eats also. 

The time savings from a pressure cooker are insane.

I'd say check out Nom Nom Paleo, she seems to have a lot of pressure cooker recipes. I've seen a handful at Serious Eats also.

The time savings from a pressure cooker are insane.

Yes! it's NomNom's fault I had to have one. Lol it sounded magic!

I really want one when I gave the kitchen space to put one. (But what do you do if you want more than one dish out of our at once? Noooooo!)

I really want one when I gave the kitchen space to put one. (But what do you do if you want more than one dish out of our at once? Noooooo!)

I got it BECAUSE I have no kitchen space and have to move my kitchen every 10 weeks. It's all the appliances I love rolled into one, except my mini George foreman type grill that's in storage. LOL And I know what you mean. I only have one pot/pan, so I have that issue no matter what I cook with. I just cook in stages. I rarely cook the meal right before I eat, so it'll all get microwaved together on the same plate anyway. Like last night, I cooked roast chicken and potatoes while I was eating chicken& black bean stew. (Chicken quarters were on sale the other day lol)

I got a handheld spiralizer for Christmas.  Nice and compact, and seems to work really well.  Dinner tonight: sweet potato noodles in Thai peanut sauce.  Awww yeah.  All the vegetables can get in my mouth.

• Like 1

I haven't given this thread much love lately.  Mostly because my food has been boring.  Visiting significant others means there was lots of cooking this past week.

image_zpsr0ucsyha.jpg

Ground pork and lentil-stuffed peppers with butternut squash and broccoli pile. (Girlfriend made this.)

image_zpsd7t4vxqj.jpg

Pecan-crusted chicken with squash and asparagus.

image_zpsxagltjjx.jpg

Lamb chop with red onion, more squash and asparagus. (She made this, as well. AMAZINGLY TASTY.)

Not pictured is the steak-and-crab-fest that was the main reason we went down to see my parents.  That was inhaled too quickly for pictures.  Also, we didn't actually cook it.  Or the massive sushi dinner we had on Sunday night.

I've eaten quite well the last week.

• Like 3

My self prepared (improvised) food in week 2

med_gallery_39656_2050_40729.png

Green Beans, a sliced onion, 5 cloves of garlic, a bit of ginger, chicken breast and soy sauce.

med_gallery_39656_2050_168547.png

Another version of my greek yogurt prep. Found a bag of rasberries in the freezer and added them.

(An Apple cut to small pieces, greek yogurt, walnuts and rasberries on top)