• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Shogun

The Monastery Kitchen

Cabbage recipes?  Who's got 'em?

Recently discovered I rather like cabbage, but so far all I've really done is steam/cook it in my IP with various stock liquids.  Looking to expand out, but want my Monks' favorites.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 7:17 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

Recently discovered I rather like cabbage, but so far all I've really done is steam/cook it in my IP with various stock liquids.  Looking to expand out, but want my Monks' favorites.

I've just been buying cole-slaw mix (minus the sauce) and throwing it in stir fry, like @Teirin, or with bowls of rice and a protein.  Or any time I want a nice, cool crunch to balance whatever I'm cooking. 

For example, if you have an IP, do some Kahlua pork, and build the bowl as rice, shredded cabbage then pork. 

Also, I've not tried it yet, but I did have a friend say she cuts heads into thick rounds, brushes them with olive or other oil, gives a sprinkle of salt, and then broils (I'm assuming until tender or perhaps with a touch of char on the ends). 

• Like 4

On 8.5.2018 at 4:17 PM, RisenPhoenix said:

Okonomiyaki

They are really good and you can make them with cabbage as base. I don't have a recipe, but you can find various online.

• Like 5

Green cabbage varieties (green, French, Napa, etc): Cabbage rolls, filling for dumplings, sliced in stews and soups, stir fry like Teirin suggested, roasted with garlic and olive oil, sauteed, in home made slaws, etc

Red cabbbage: goes well in salad if you slice it fine (like matchstick carrot thickness), roasted, braised with apples and wine vinegar, etc.

• Like 2

Lazy instant pot recipe (cabbage-based): put in a bunch of raw Italian sausage chunks and, like, a quarter to a half a head of cabbage. Dump into pot. Lazily add no water. Set to manual, four minutes. Food happens.

This is the Ankh-Morpork special; pork, cabbage, and laziness.

• Like 4

Reminded of an old fav:  roast up sweet potatoes and a protein (bacon, chicken, tofu, whatever works for you).  To assemble:  sweet potato + protein + shredded zucchini or defrosted broccoli + black beans + salsa + cheese (or vegan cheese).  Microwave 2-3 minutes at work to cook.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 10:17 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

I am a fan of steamed cabbage myself. I like it a lot with some vinegar added and cooked with a flavorful (typically meat based) protein like chunks of smoked turkey sausage. 

Another rando recipe for yall. 

Never fail sweet potato homfries: 

You can serve these beauties with almost anything. 

Ingredients: 

-however many potatoes you plan on making, I usually use 1 large one and put the leftovers in for my work lunch. Cut em pretty small, like 1 in or less 

-1\2 small onion diced 

-1/2 sweet ball pepper, diced 

-cinnamon 

-chilli powder 

-paprika 

-mustard powder 

-garlic powder 

-rosemary 

-salt and pepper 

-cooking fat, I usually mix 1/2-1 tsp of bacon fat with however much coconut oil I need. 

What you gotta do: 

-oven goes on to about 375-400 hot enough to get a decent sear on the potatoes but not really burn the 

-cut up potatoes pretty small as I mentioned. Slap those beauties into chef Mike (the microwave) on high for 3-5 mins depending on amount. 

-mix potatoes, veggies spices and cooking fat on a baking tray and spread out so as few are touching as possible, we want to brown them and a crowded pan makes that hard. 

-cook in oven 5-10 minutes turning once until browned and delicious. 

-serve with whatever, my favorite is with palio meatloaf and a side salad after a hard day of training and work.

• Like 4

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, By365 said:

Another rando recipe for yall. 

Never fail sweet potato homfries: 

You can serve these beauties with almost anything. 

Ingredients: 

-however many potatoes you plan on making, I usually use 1 large one and put the leftovers in for my work lunch. Cut em pretty small, like 1 in or less 

-1\2 small onion diced 

-1/2 sweet ball pepper, diced 

-cinnamon 

-chilli powder 

-paprika 

-mustard powder 

-garlic powder 

-rosemary 

-salt and pepper 

-cooking fat, I usually mix 1/2-1 tsp of bacon fat with however much coconut oil I need. 

What you gotta do: 

-oven goes on to about 375-400 hot enough to get a decent sear on the potatoes but not really burn the 

-cut up potatoes pretty small as I mentioned. Slap those beauties into chef Mike (the microwave) on high for 3-5 mins depending on amount. 

-mix potatoes, veggies spices and cooking fat on a baking tray and spread out so as few are touching as possible, we want to brown them and a crowded pan makes that hard. 

-cook in oven 5-10 minutes turning once until browned and delicious. 

-serve with whatever, my favorite is with palio meatloaf and a side salad after a hard day of training and work.

AAAAH where was this when I needed it! I always used to do these up as a hash rather than homefries, but man, that would have been awesome.

I feel like I'm falling into a bit of a veggie rut and would like to change things up a bit. I'm having too much squash, tomato, onion, broccoli and spinach and not enough variety. 

So open request: Challenge me with random veggie recipes that contain none of squash, onion, tomato, broccoli, or spinach! 

Not that those are bad but I should be eating more veggies than just those 5 is more the point... 

3 hours ago, chemgeek said:

Challenge me with random veggie recipes that contain none of squash, onion, tomato, broccoli, or spinach! 

Not that those are bad but I should be eating more veggies than just those 5 is more the point... 

Try mushrooms sauted with bacon, garlic and lemon juice. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, chemgeek said:

So open request: Challenge me with random veggie recipes that contain none of squash, onion, tomato, broccoli, or spinach! 

Apologies in advance for not having real recipes with good directions.  I first learned to cook from friends who learned to cook from their mothers or grand mothers, and basically it was all 'just do this'.  Now I just try things and learn by figuring out how not to screw it up.  :p 

The cabbage recipes further up are good.  Depending on what's in season where you're at, check out local farmer markets?  You can find fresh things to try, or new varieties of current.  For example - tomatoes.  There's a huge difference in flavor between types, and especially between store bought and market bought heirloom varietals - some of the local grocery stores are starting to carry a wider variety as well, which is nice.  Make a nice salad with some different types of tomato, balsamic, drizzle of oil, and cheese of your choice, or make a ratatouille.  I find that sometimes building on what I know how to cook makes adding new things easier, and finding new types of veggies you like can break a rut.

Anywho - here's a small number of things I've done that could work:

If in season - grill or roast asparagus.  Toss spears with a little olive oil and sea salt, put in a cast iron pan and throw on a hot grill.  Turn occasionally until done to your liking (I tend to like crisp tender but a little char on the thin ends... this is also an excellent preparation for broccoli, and the oven works fine if it's not good grilling weather). 

Get the grill hot, quarter a head of some kind of lettuce (or cut a romaine in half).  Brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, put on the hot grill long enough to get just a touch of char on the oiled side, it will wilt a little, but that's ok.  Eat at is, or cut up and dress it however you like.  Grilled corn would be a nice add.  Could also throw in some bacon crumbles or grilled chicken.  Thinking about it, grilling a wedge of cabbage could lead to some interesting slaw.

Stir fry a protein with some cabbage, red/yellow/orange bell peppers (I can't stand green), thin sliced carrots, and snap or snow peas.  If you miss the onion, use leeks, or finish with diced green onion.  Garlic is also a nice add. 

1 hour ago, By365 said:

Try mushrooms sauted with bacon, garlic and lemon juice. 

This is a good prep for most types of kale, as well as Brussels sprouts.  Olive oil and finished with balsamic is a nice alternative. 

• Like 4

Oh man I can already tell this thread is going to be dangerous for me ... You folks make awesome food!

For the random veggie recipe challenge:

Honeyed Carrots
Take about a kilo of carrots, and a spice mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, I like to add some cardamom or whatever you like.
Carrots go in chunks, and saute in butter and spices until they're just starting to go soft, and they're all coated in the spices
Then about a half-tablespoon of honey, toss it through, serve before it burns. Really good side dish.

Zucchini or eggplant is also a really good one -- I make a simple bake with zucchini and eggplant slices.
Chop mushrooms and toss them through some salt and paprika. I often add onion, too, but you said you didn't want any onion so I was going to leave that out. Sometimes I mix some cashews in with the mushrooms, too, and you can get creative with sweet potato, chopped cauliflower stems, pretty much whatever you like. Fennel tastes amazing, if you like fennel!
Layer zucchini and/or eggplant with the mushrooms and other veggies between them. Drizzle of olive oil, and bake in the oven.
Cheese goes on top if you're a cheese sort of person.

That's all that's coming to mind right now -- I'll have a dig and let you know if I come up with any more!

• Like 3

Today: beef stir fry with serrano and red bell peppers, sweet potato, bean sprouts,  snap peas, and garlic. 

Nom nom nom.

Tomorrow: orange braised red cabbage and chicken probably

• Like 2

I can confirm that a savoy cabbage, sliced in 1" rounds, brushed with oil and grilled until there are char marks and it's overall tender... is damn good.  Good enough to eat out of hand while you're waiting on the protein to cook, actually. 

• Like 2

Lunch: 

2 hardboiled eggs

Separately:

1 1/4 cup frozen kale

1 cup frozen carrots

1/2 cup corn

2 jalapeno peppers, chopped

1 tsp minced garlic 

1 tbsp lemon juice

Salt to taste

Heat 2nd in microwave till hot, eat.

• Like 2

So for folks who like fast breakfast but not the empty calories of most breakfast cereals, I have a few no added sugar, no refined grains recipes if folks are interested. All can either be preprepped or take <5min to whip up.

Beet, broccoli & Chicken roast. 

250g sliced beets
250g broccoli florets

1 sliced onion

2 sliced chicken breast

3 tbsp olive oil

100g goat cheese (sliced)

Preheat oven to 425 F. 

Mix all except for goat cheese in a large bowl, then place in a nonstick cake pan covered with foil. Bake 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked. 

Place in a clean bowl, add cheese, serve. Makes 2 servings.

• Like 2

So let's say I have tons of green Cayenne peppers and need recipes of a Paleo variety. Hit me, monks.

There will be at least one batch of sun-dried tomato salsa; I have zested limes and green onions to use up.

So you're a witch of the Discworld persuasion. (And/or belong to a CSA, I don't judge.) It is time to eat. This is your recipe:

Turn the oven on to 385 and wash an oven-proof dish.

Decide it's time to think about what to make.

Look at the produce on the counter. Take ten or twelve green cherry tomatoes from the giant bowl of them. Quarter them and put them in the dish. Whatever's there. People give you random stuff. This is the witching economy.

Look in the produce drawer. It's a little bare, save for a few soup essentials. Find carrots. Take one. Chop into thick slices and put them in the dish. Find a head of cabbage. Take a one-tenth wedge and slice it into strips. Add to the dish.

Mix everything in the dish. Go to the pot of green onions on the windowsill. Trim the longest by a few inches; at least two, as many as six. Or eight. Or twelve. I don't tell you what to do. That's between you and your green onions. Maybe grab a bit of garlic greens in there if you've planted some cloves of garlic. Chop roughly over the dish.

Look around to see if there's anything else. Remember the teacup full of rosemary you stripped off a cutting. Grab maybe a tablespoon of that. Chop and sprinkle over the dish.

Cut a ploughman's lunch quantity of cheddar off the clock. This is 3-4 ounces, for those who rarely eat mythical farm laborer food. Chop/side into the biggest pieces you're comfortable using with an instruction along the lines of "Cover with cheese". Cover dish with cheese.

The oven is close enough to temperature by now. Put in the oven for half an hour. Make tea. Drink tea. Go spend your time on something.

The timer goes off. Magically there is food. It is a plate of rich fragrant deliciousness loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein, with, and this is important, golden roasted gooey crunchifying cheese all over.

Congratulations, you have made breakfast out of kitchen scraps and whatever, and somehow it is actual tasty food.

• Like 4

Slow cooker curry:

2 chicken breasts, cut bite sized

2 cups dried yellow split peas

2 sliced onions

1 can pumpkin puree

3 cloves garlic

1 tbsp red pepper flakes

4 tbsp curry paste

4 cups water or chicken broth

3 servings leafy green of choice

Stick all of the above minus the leafy greens in a slow cooker. Cook on low setting of slow cooker 8ish hours while you are at work. Add leafy greens, taste, adjust spices to taste, simmer until greens are just wilted. 

• Like 1

Coconut red lentil curry

300g dry red lentils

196g purple potatoes, diced

4 carrots, sliced

1 onion, sliced

1 can coconut milk

4 cups water

2 tsp ginger

1tsp each cumin, coriander and tumeric

1 tbsp dried cilantro

2 tbsp dried red pepper flakes

Slow cooker 4 hours, cook.

Here's one for those days that you have very little time. It's not even a recipe just an idea for a near instant healthy meal. 

-precooked rice (either instant rice or leftovers) 

-nori 

-one of those packs of precooked salmon (I used lemon pepper) 

-salad 

Arrange on a plate and then eat. 

I put this together in about 90 seconds last night after karate and it fit my 4 boxes: healthy, easy, cheap, tasty. 

• Like 1