Enduring the Flame: Rurik's Saga III

I am Rurik, and this is my tale.

As all the last reserves of my strength had left me, I collapsed into a heap on my hands and knees.  My chest heaved for air but the very act of breathing left a raw burning in my lungs.  Only through gargantuan effort could I focus on blinking my eyes to dispel the spots that still marred my vision.  After a moment the fire roaring in my breast began to dissipate and I could feel my body beginning to recover from its exertions.

While I focused on breathing, the slow and arduous task of forcing sweltering air in and out of my battered body, gradually I became aware of a low growl emanating from a space not so far from my position.  As I began to attune my ears to the sound my mind slowly swam back into focus.  My head came up and met the malevolent orange eyes of an Iron Wolf war beast.  Now that I was up close and personal with the monster, I could finally see the terrible works of iron plate callously bolted directly through flesh and onto bone.  Where the plates met flesh I could see the years-old clotted blood.

Though the wolf bared its jaws at me and continued its savage growling, I was overcome with pity for the animal's hardships.  I slowly pushed myself to a crouch and stared at my would-be ravager, opening my hands in a non-threatening pose of surrender but still keeping Korragh's axe close at hand.  For a moment the growling stopped and the wolf canted its large iron-clad head at me.  I tried to reach my mind out toward the wolf, trying to send the message across that I wasn't a threat anymore, and hoping that my vulnerabilities would be noticed enough to overcome years of harsh battle conditioning.

That terrible growling returned again, yet for only another moment.  The wolf sat back on its haunches and lolled its head at me, as if seeing something curious and vexing for the first time.  I reached out with a tenuous hand to touch the wolf's muzzle, ever aware of the sharp teeth only inches away from the tender, juicy flesh of my hand as I did so.  It seemed to tolerate my touch well enough so I stroked the exposed fur where it could be found.  As I felt the coarse pelt I could feel a connection beginning to grow.  I was suddenly more aware of the acrid scent of burning flesh, of the smoke drifting from burning homes, and I could clearly hear the crackle of embers and the wind gusting down the village's pathways.  The very world seemed more alive, and I was suddenly aware of it, like I was opening my eyes for the first time all over again.

Slow, one paw before the other, the wolf crossed the short distance between us.  Now it was my turn to watch as the enemy made the first move.  The large shaggy beast hesitated just inches from my face before lowering its face to butt my head with its own.  While the iron plate attached to the animal carried more impact forward than I suspect it had intended, I began to doubt that any pain had been unintentional.

As I stared into those orange eyes just inches from my own, I couldn't help but feel as if I had found a new companion.  "Well," I grunted.  "Isn't that something?"

uR0xX.jpg

Main Quest is to participate in a Spartan Sprint on July 11 and a Mud Hero on July 25.  That will be the end of Act I and the epic boss battle of 2015.

Starting weight: 189 lbs.

Goal/Quest 1: Foraging to Survive, Part IV: "Forced from what had become my home, I again took to the ancient wilderness... and there was welcomed." (+3 CON)

• Follow the Eat To Perform nutrition model as prescribed, in as Paleo-friendly a manner as possible.
  • Completion by percentage of adherence to macronutrient and calorie requirements.

Goal/Quest 2: "I became a savage wanderer, calling no place home and raising my campfire wherever I would. My rage was a constant reminder of all I had lost, but it lent to me a deadly focus." (+4 STR, +2 DEX)

• Practice one of two Crossfit skills per week (pull-ups or double unders).
  • Attend two Olympic Weightlifting and two Open Gym classes (to reinforce the above) before Challenge end.
  • Complete one Couch To 5K workout per week.  Bonus points awarded if two completed.

Goal/Quest 3: "Though I missed the friends I had made among Korragh's people, and mourned their passing, I would not begrudge myself the primal wonder for all things wild and free." (+3 STA)

• Bicycle rather than drive minimum of two shifts per work set (weather permitting).  Bonus points awarded if whole set biked.
  • Finalize plans for an outdoors microadventure, preferably actually execute the adventure itself.

Life Goal/Quest: "I carried with me only that which I could carry.  The axe in my hand would serve me better than any trinkets or baubles on an expedition into the untamed places of the world." (+1 WIS, +2 CHA)

• Maintain debt repayment schedule.  No frivolous purchases for the duration of this challenge.  Quest reward: new wardrobe.
  • Retain apartment-cleaning habits.  One dedicated cleaning day per 8-day work week.
  • Practice 10 minutes of mindful self-awareness per week.

Skill Quest 1: "A Treatise on Primal Alchemy (Alchemy level 1)," exploring the benefits and detriments of sports performance supplements.

• Research and sample an appropriate creatine and/or creatine elixir that suits my lifestyle and meets my standards (fairly natural, affordable, available to sample before committing).
  • By Week 3, I will sample minimum one product.
  • By Challenge End, I will purchase one product.

Skill Quest 2: "Returning to the Wilds (Wilderness Lore level 1)," relearning all that we have unlearned through the embrace of civilization.

Achievement: Armor upgrading time!  In making the weight loss achievements I have seen, I find myself without a single pair of pants that will fit my slimmer waist.  I also find myself with a surplus of statutory holiday pay that I will be allotting for a new capsulized wardrobe to replace that which I have grown out of, but not until I see what I am capable of through this challenge.

Motivation: The Spartan Sprint and Mud Hero approach and I find myself only barely prepared.  This challenge will be about dialing in my nutrition and workouts tightly and again working on my weaknesses.  My legendary will power is shining brightly at the moment and I find myself entirely composed to bite off a huge chunk of new goals, so I have added some new and reintroduced some old.  Today I am reminded of the single-minded fury of the barbarian, and I intend to harness that beast toward accomplishing my plans for the months to come!

• Like 6

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

First!  Dang!  Nice job on the weight loss.  We now weigh the same!  I will be keeping tabs, especially since my own goals right now involve fat loss.

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Signing up for this. On a side note, where do you draw the inspiration for the narrative? Wolves with bolted steel plates are pretty badass :tongue:

I can't explain it.  Sure, some of my inspiration comes from conventional sources (favorite RPGs, fantasy novels, Magic: the Gathering) but most of the story thus far is pure original content.

I have pages of this stuff.  I should either get around to writing a fantasy novel or hire a ghostwriter to do it for me...

Sounds like the quest for a future challenge, perhaps.

• Like 2

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

I can't explain it.  Sure, some of my inspiration comes from conventional sources (favorite RPGs, fantasy novels, Magic: the Gathering) but most of the story thus far is pure original content.

I have pages of this stuff.  I should either get around to writing a fantasy novel or hire a ghostwriter to do it for me...

Sounds like the quest for a future challenge, perhaps.

sooooooooooooo when are we having the Rurik online dnd? cause I am so there

• Like 2

sooooooooooooo when are we having the Rurik online dnd? cause I am so there

Hmmm, I've never thought of that before.  I have always wanted to play through a D&D campaign but it never once occurred to me to study up and try my hand from the DM perspective.  I do love to spin a good yarn and tell a tale, that's true enough.  For the practical aspect I just need to do my D&D homework.  Any suggestions for resources to start with?

You've inspired me, ItsDaniel.  For the second time this week!  You might be on to something there.

• Like 1

Hmmm, I've never thought of that before.  I have always wanted to play through a D&D campaign but it never once occurred to me to study up and try my hand from the DM perspective.  I do love to spin a good yarn and tell a tale, that's true enough.  For the practical aspect I just need to do my D&D homework.  Any suggestions for resources to start with?

You've inspired me, ItsDaniel.  For the second time this week!  You might be on to something there.

You've got creativity in spades, for rules I would take a look at the dungeons and dragons players handbook,neither 5th ee or now that it is out of print you can probably get 3.5 ed as a pdf

• Like 1

Subbing in because Rurik's Tale is too awesome to miss.

Also, there's the whole Spartan thing, and I totally wouldn't miss that either.

Thank you for the praise.  I've been drawing up an outline to organize the chronicles in a somewhat logical order.  It has kind of inspired me to get back to work on the novel I've been working on for about, oh, the better part of ten years.  Now I really have to stick around the Nerd Fitness stomping grounds (not that I had any intention of leaving)... I have challenges and challenges full of material.

You've got creativity in spades, for rules I would take a look at the dungeons and dragons players handbook,neither 5th ee or now that it is out of print you can probably get 3.5 ed as a pdf

I appreciate that too.  I'll have to hunt down the 3.5 handbook and do my homework.  You've really inspired me to try my hand at Dungeon Mastering!

• Like 1

If you're still working on that novel come November, you should check out NaNoWriMo - "National Novel Writing Month". Check out their site - it might be just the kick in the pants you need to finish your story. I know it's helped me come a long way (though being in school and whatnot, I still haven't had the time to actually finish anything... *grins sheepishly* November always ends up being Exam And Project Month.).

nanowrimo.org :)

PS: Your challenge looks, once again, totally awesome!

• Like 1

I want to share the link to my latest Battle Log entry because it reflects something that has been on my mind a great deal lately, and it encompasses a topic relevant to my Nerd Fitness challenges.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60290-ruriks-dusty-leather-bound-rangers-journal/?p=1505236

An excerpt from the lengthy discourse contained above:

My present goal of sorts is to nail down some actual concrete examples of how I can live a life more heroically, and add fantasy character elements to my life. 

A brief summary of some of aspects of my Heroic Life goal are as follows:

• Feel at home in the wilderness and embrace the natural elements.
  • Exhibit impressive, almost superhuman strength and endurance.
  • Spend more time exploring and wandering.
  • Travel and experience strange, new cultures and events.
  • Weapons training.

Though far from comprehensive, it's a foundation to build upon. 

Sharing here in the hopes of generating some exposure and sparking up some discussion on how I can embody those ideals and concept I've touched on.

I already have a vague notion of how to enable some of those points into actual action.  The first point is largely a simple matter of getting outdoors more often, developing my bush craft and fire-starting abilities, and taking the occasional swim in the freezing spring run off of a river or lake.  The second I've made steps toward already by embarking on a journey toward health and fitness through my Crossfit gym, and next two points are all of a similar mind toward taking control of the reins of my life and logging some experiences in the great, wide world.  Beginning some kind of weapons training program is one of my more outlandish ideas, but taking my bow along on my more wild excursions should suffice to deepen the immersion factor.

Please feel free to offer any insight toward the topic, or even experiences you fine folks have had along a similar concept.

Getting my fantasy warrior trope on, listening to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lx6DzDckZI

Damn, I love this album.

• Like 1

There is a post from Steve indeed on the subject, I think it was made in the aftermath of last year's Camp NF. In it, he spoke about how nerds are not couch potatoes living an alternative life through videogames, but instead they are inspired by their heroes in order to reach new levels of awesome.

I've foung that camping in the wilds brings me in wonderful tune with nature and it is no accident that I've made it part of my Epic Quest to do so in various locations and for longer periods of time. There's something very raw and survivalist about it. You're thrown out there, stuff is around and you have to make it, how you do so is your own problem, find a solution.

Wish I had the time and focus for a longer post right now. Still, it's an interesting topic to touch upon

There is a post from Steve indeed on the subject, I think it was made in the aftermath of last year's Camp NF. In it, he spoke about how nerds are not couch potatoes living an alternative life through videogames, but instead they are inspired by their heroes in order to reach new levels of awesome.

I've foung that camping in the wilds brings me in wonderful tune with nature and it is no accident that I've made it part of my Epic Quest to do so in various locations and for longer periods of time. There's something very raw and survivalist about it. You're thrown out there, stuff is around and you have to make it, how you do so is your own problem, find a solution.

Wish I had the time and focus for a longer post right now. Still, it's an interesting topic to touch upon

I hunted through all of Steve's blog posts last night, and while I found some new gems and re-read some classics that have inspired me, I couldn't find the post I mentioned above.

Strange.  Still, it's a topic I'm going to keep pondering so feel free to contribute your two pieces of copper whenever you feel like.

The scent of burnt flesh lingered and strangely followed me everywhere I went. My eyes had spent the better part of the afternoon and into the evening watching the pyre I had erected for Korragh, my friend and mentor, whose great axe I now carried as my own. Somehow I knew he wouldn't mind. I tried to recall that wry grin he was famous for, especially when I had asked a particularly daft question or failed to grasp some fundamental idea he was trying to instill in me. I found I couldn't. The grief and the rage still bubbled too close to the surface for such recollections of happier days.

I shrugged into the bearskin cloak that had accompanied me through miles beyond counting, and took a step back to regard my efforts. My old sword, the blade that been a graduation gift from a Ranger Corps officer once, was now nicked and charred, covered in dust, was plunged into the ground at the head of a burial barrow. I had found it broken, laying beneath a body so badly burned I could not identify who it had once been. A new chapter in my life was beginning, heralded by yet the destruction of yet another peaceful village I had called home, so I was leaving the blade behind. Now I planted it along with several other fine weapons, above the others I had buried with their owners, at the top of a great funeral mound.

The road and the great wilderness would become my home again. I glanced down at the wretched wolf who had become as if my shadow. Garm, I had called him, after the hound of the Gods. He seemed to approve of the lofty title. Now that I was leaving the village behind, my burdens felt heavier and my duty less certain. My hands burned with a feverish ache. Glancing down they were blackened and cracked, fresh blood visible between the fissures in my flesh, but there was no sign of infection. It was if they had been scoured clean by the healing power of fire...

Evening came and darkness fell, so I set about building the second fire in what had already been an enormously long day. I gathered wood while Garm watched, unable or unwilling to assist with my firewood gathering quest, chewing on a bone he had brought along. I uttered an oath to the Gods in hope that it didn't belong to one of the bodies I had buried earlier that day. My task complete and the fire started, I took a long drag on the flask I had found in the ruins and licked my lips as the smoky flavor and crisp, refreshing burning sensation trailed down my throat. That mead was the first sensation that could set me at ease all day. With a heavy sigh I sat and stared into the fire, as if it could cough up the answers and direction I needed. Accepting that it likely wouldn't, I rested my sore back against the rocky outcrop that hid my campsite from the distant road.

Unbidden and completely unannounced, a small girl entered the area lit by the fire. It was especially alarming that my keen senses had heard no sign of her coming or arrival until she suddenly appeared before me. My hand was near that axe now, feeling the knurls on the haft and again I was reminded how natural the weapon's haft felt in my rough hands. Eventually I began to relax after she seated herself on a log at the far side of the fire. Her face was barely illuminated through the flames. I hesitantly offered her a choice ration of the scarce meat I had brought along.

"Who are you?" she asked suddenly, staring up from her meager dinner.

"I am Rurik," was my simple reply.

She paused to chew the scrap of meat between her jaws. "Where do you come from?"

A grunt. "Somewhere. Maybe nowhere. I don't remember."

Perhaps that was enough to satisfy her adolescent curiosity, I hoped. It wasn't. "If you don't know where you are from, do you know where you are going?"

Another grunt. "The highlands, maybe."

She continued chewing the stringy meat. The wild abandon with which she devoured the offered meal was remarkable. I couldn't help but admire the casual, almost beast-like lack of attention or restraint as she went about her supper. "What will you do there?"

Resolving to answer no more of her questions after that, my eyes ignored her and glanced across the clearing to scan the edges of the rocky barriers and stones that covered much of the land here. First I would have to climb the red ridges before I could descend the foothills to the highland forests. There, maybe, I could find new providence and maybe... peace. I knew there were people dwelling among the deep forested hills and mountains of the frontier. They had made their peace with nature and the elements, honing their untamed wills to the finest of arts. I could only hope they might know more about the dragontooth charm I carried, and maybe offer some insight toward what I should do next.

"You didn't answer my question."

I started. That little girl was still there, absently gnawing at the bare bone of her meal, her wild and tangled hair plastered to her face with a paste of sweat and grime. "There are people on the frontier, in the highlands."

"The druids, you mean. Of the Burning-Tree."

"Aye."

"They might kill you for trespassing." I was silent. I knew that, but it was a risk you took every time you crossed into lands unknown to you and to which you were unknown. “Still,” she continued. “You remind me of them.”

I had been glancing down at my blackened hands, and now blinked. “In what way, girl?”

But as I raised my head to stare across the fire, she was gone.

Unofficial "Week 1" Summary

Goal/Quest 1: Foraging to Survive, Part IV: "Forced from what had become my home, I again took to the ancient wilderness... and there was welcomed." (+3 CON)

• I had a beer date with my mother, but otherwise kept to the established status quo of my diet.  Despite being between official challenges I have no intention of spoiling my progress, and I have some fairly aggressive goals for this challenge, so I have to keep to task here.  Score:  A+.

Goal/Quest 2: "I became a savage wanderer, calling no place home and raising my campfire wherever I would. My rage was a constant reminder of all I had lost, but it lent to me a deadly focus." (+4 STR, +2 DEX)

• I devoted an entire skill session at class to super-setting kipping pull-ups and practicing double unders this week.
  • No opportunity to attend Open Gym or Oly class yet.
  • Completed three Couch To 5K workouts this week.  Two along the river and one out in the Hills with my sister.  Definitely getting my woodsman on this week!  Bonus points fully awarded and deserved.  Score: A++.

Goal/Quest 3: "Though I missed the friends I had made among Korragh's people, and mourned their passing, I would not begrudge myself the primal wonder for all things wild and free." (+3 STA)

• Haven't worked all week due to my mini stay-cation, but I'm back to work tonight and I'll be on my bike.
  • My buddy got back to me and picked June 20th as our camping date.  Scores: A+ all around.

Life Goal/Quest: "I carried with me only that which I could carry.  The axe in my hand would serve me better than any trinkets or baubles on an expedition into the untamed places of the world." (+1 WIS, +2 CHA)

• Bills up to date.  Debt payment made.
  • House is getting messy again, but nothing major.  I'll get through my nights and get back on top of things.
  • No 10 minutes of mindful self-awareness yet.  Pending.  Score: A.

It has been an good in between week.  I'm thankful that the powers that be got our new challenge forums up quick, and the Ranger leadership were on top of assigning us some in-between mini challenges to keep ourselves occupied.  Those small goals are extremely motivating, and I find coming back here to comment on my successes and failures is a great method for accountability to keep me to my goals.

This was just a fast and furious update because I have to head off to work tonight, but since it has been a week I thought I ought to get an update of sorts up!

• Like 2

Spartans and iron clad wolves? No way in hell am I missing this!

sent from the phantom zone via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

• No 10 minutes of mindful self-awareness yet.  Pending.  Score: A.

Scratch that.  Took some time to myself at work and enjoyed a few songs' worth of what I call "Heavy Metal Meditation."

It heals the soul.

• Like 2

I hunted through all of Steve's blog posts last night, and while I found some new gems and re-read some classics that have inspired me, I couldn't find the post I mentioned above.

Strange.  Still, it's a topic I'm going to keep pondering so feel free to contribute your two pieces of copper whenever you feel like.

Found it

It has been an good in between week.  I'm thankful that the powers that be got our new challenge forums up quick, and the Ranger leadership were on top of assigning us some in-between mini challenges to keep ourselves occupied.  Those small goals are extremely motivating, and I find coming back here to comment on my successes and failures is a great method for accountability to keep me to my goals.

It was actually just during the previous break that the upcoming challenge forums were immediately up for the first time. Also the first time ItsDaniel introduced the Bye Weeks Challenge concept. Everybody noticed a need to keep things going even during the break, it all worked out so it's becoming a standard I guess. It's the Ranger way, adapt and prevail!

Found it

It was actually just during the previous break that the upcoming challenge forums were immediately up for the first time. Also the first time ItsDaniel introduced the Bye Weeks Challenge concept. Everybody noticed a need to keep things going even during the break, it all worked out so it's becoming a standard I guess. It's the Ranger way, adapt and prevail!

Thank you for succeeding where otherwise I failed!  Much appreciated for the groundwork.  Time to analyze with Ranger thoroughness!

Either way, the effort put in by our Chain of Command is massively appreciated on my part.  Every day I'm blown away by the support found around these forums.

• Like 1

Hi, Rurik!  You mentioned an upcoming 7-minute Burpee PvP, Rangers versus the World?  This is something I should be playing, so I will trust you to let me know it is up!  I will try to recruit a few Warriors to join this Challenge!

All I have to do is post a video showing the object six inches (15 cm) beyond my standing reach and then the 7 minute run, correct?

• Like 1

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Want to play?  MFPvP

Well met, Sam!

Here's the link: July 13th Rangers versus the World 7-minute Burpee AMRAP

It looks like we've finally set a day so we can begin our respective preparations!

• Like 1

Well met, Sam!

Here's the link: July 13th Rangers versus the World 7-minute Burpee AMRAP

It looks like we've finally set a day so we can begin our respective preparations!

Thanks!  It looks like something I should definitely be playing!  I will try to rally some Warriors to come play!  I am out of town from July 2 to July 11 and travelling several places, but I might have tons of time to practice.  I have not checked out too well what I am up against.  :)

Spoiler

Want to play?  MFPvP