giphy.gif

As always, I'll be logging all of my parkour classes, rock climbing sessions, hand balancing, yoga, swimming, and all of the stuff I normally do.  But, the main focus of this challenge is actually controlling my headspace, not being too much of a perfectionist, and just taking joy in all of the fun stuff that I'm doing.

1. Be mighty like Thor and the Hulk - 

A-thor.jpg

If I ever want to be able to do large sets of pull ups or even reach a muscle up one day, I need to give my pull ups a little more care and attention.  For the most part, I've been just getting my pull exercise through climbing, parkour class, and messing around at the playground.

Goal: Pull ups after every climbing session using the rock holds.  A total of 3 pull up sessions/week, with a full session filling out any remaining ones after the post-climbing pulls.  

2. Be agile like Black Widow: 

02.gif

To be agile, I need to be more flexible.  Goal is to do splits progression stretches (low lunge, half monkey sequence) + pancake 3x /week.

3. Take aim like Hawkeye

Goal: archer stretches and shoulder dislocates 3x/week to keep my shoulders nice and healthy.

4. Be industrious like Iron Man

I waste too much time on my phone.  This will only get worse when the kids are out of school and underfoot all day.  I don't want myself or the kids to be lazy lumps.  So, the goal is to spend more time reading, drawing, playing the piano, practicing German, cooking, cleaning, or other productive tasks rather than being lazy.  If possible, I need to turn these into family activities.

5. Be virtuous like Captain America.

11235913_1381318965501016_262663068_n.jp

The Cap wants me to watch my language.  Goal is to do 20 burpees as punishment (or if my leg isn't up to it, do V-ups) every time I use a "naughty word" in front of my kids.  Since I hate burpees, this will hopefully encourage me to clean up the language a bit.

6. Defeat Quicksilver

anigif_enhanced-13151-1414038737-5.gif

To defeat Quicksilver, I need to be fast.  To be fast, I need my knee and leg to function properly once again (had ACL reconstruction 16 months ago.  Still dealing with IT Band syndrome by throwing myself into too much parkour too soon).  Goal is to do my leg prehab routine (hip opener stretches, calf stretches, quad stretch, IT band rolling) every day and my PT strengthening stuff  (lateral band walks, one leg squats, clams) 3x/week.

7. Defeat the Scarlet Witch

tumblr_nek98zQdbM1r7gbeko2_r3_500.gif

I've really been struggling with controlling my headspace lately, and at times, my anxiety has been out of control.  To keep myself better balanced emotionally, I'm going to aim for these two rules:

a. No office visits with Dr. Google.  If I'm that concerned about something, I need to see an actual doctor rather than make myself paranoid after symptom searching on the internet.

b. If I'm in a bad place mentally, I need to do one of my headspace balancing activities, like: yoga, walking outdoors, mindless household chores, or comfort reading, rather than sitting around, brooding, and making it all worse.

8. Defeat Ultron - In Ultron's view, if humanity can't be perfect, it should be destroyed.  I often fall into the same trap of expecting too much perfection from myself and becoming too negative as a result.  Rather than being down on myself because I couldn't execute whatever move in parkour class or couldn't send whatever route when climbing, I want to just stop comparing myself to others, stop letting myself get overly frustrated, and instead just take joy in what I'm doing.  It doesn't need to be perfect.  Instead, I just need to be having fun.

Whew.  8 goals sounds like a lot, but basically I just need to do 5 minutes of PT every day, have a session 3x/week where I do splits stretches, shoulder stretches, and PT strength, do more pull ups, stop swearing, and adjust my thought process a bit.  So really it's not so much.

I don't have a set schedule, but generally it'll be:

-parkour class and/or parent& child aerial silks - 2x/week (will probably be 2 hours of parkour one day and silks another day)

-climbing + swimming 2-3x/week.  In the summer, we like climbing for an hour, followed by swimming for an hour.

-home yoga when I feel like it.

I'm also going to be on a 1 week vacation right in the middle of the challenge.  I haven't yet decided how I'm going to handle that with my goals.

• Like 6

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

This is one heckuva challenge, Nymeria! I think you will have to be very mindful of the Ultron goal when you come into this. As long as you are lumping things together into the sessions as you outlined it, I think you're right in that you will be okay. Looking forward to it. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

At first I read this and was like, "uh oh Nym's at it again, doing too much," but the way you broke it down at the end seems much more manageable.  Fun trumps perfect.  Don't be afraid to dump or revise something if it's not being fun for you.

• Like 1

Why not challenge yourself big? Parkour and rock climbing...sounds like a damn near perfect day to me! I like the language goal as well-my oldest is the cursing police, always letting me know when I say bad words.

"Ohhhhhh, Daddy....that was a bad word."

"I know, Race, but sometimes daddy says bad words."

"Well you shouldn't, because they are bad."

*mutters under breath but sounds more like a hiss* THANKSs, SssssON!

Wolf

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Big challenge, but I have no doubt you'll kick ass. Let's take down Ultron. :)

Parent/kid aerial sounds awesome, looking forward to hear more about it!

The parent/kid aerial will be a bit watered down compared to regular adult aerial, but it's a neat chance to do something fun with my daughter over the summer.  Both of us can see whether we want to continue doing any aerial, or whether we'd prefer just sticking with parkour.

Why not challenge yourself big? Parkour and rock climbing...sounds like a damn near perfect day to me! I like the language goal as well-my oldest is the cursing police, always letting me know when I say bad words.

"Ohhhhhh, Daddy....that was a bad word."

"I know, Race, but sometimes daddy says bad words."

"Well you shouldn't, because they are bad."

*mutters under breath but sounds more like a hiss* THANKSs, SssssON!

Wolf

Parkour and rock climbing is a totally perfect day!  I agree about going big, but people are getting on my case about being too ambitious since I'm still recovering from an overuse injury.  I'm jealous that your kid is still the swearing police.  Mine are slightly older, and they're much more likely to take my naughty words as a license for them to use them too.   :nightmare:

I've felt really lazy the last two days, which I know is silly.  On Tuesday, I did formal PT (so lots of leg strength work) in the morning and 1.5 hours of swimming in the evening.  Wednesday, I did one of my crazy balancing yoga programs (and I was rocking the hell out of the peacock pose/elbow levers) + misc playing around as well as my home PT stuff.  Today, I'll be doing more PT stretches, pull ups, toes to bar, ring top supports, and maybe some animal flow stuff. I also have a lot of heavy duty yard work and cleaning to squeeze in.  Friday is a climbing night.  Saturday will be the aerial silks intro class.  Sunday will be more climbing.  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

It's pull-up poll time:  I can do 2.5 pull ups/set if I do 100% full, strict deadweight pull ups, with a complete release of tension at the shoulders and everything between sets.  I can do 6 per set if I do a full deadweight pull up on the first pull, but then stop on the descent just before the point where I lose tension in the shoulders (so I'm still at a microbend at the elbows and shoulders are still engaged).  So, which should I train?

a. Full, 100% deadhang pull-ups because everything else is cheating

b. pull ups where first is a deadhang, but with no full deadhang between reps.

My tutorials:

Hmm. I'd say that I wouldn't worry about going to full extension/complete deadhang after every rep. The middle/top of the movement puts more work into the muscles that likely matter for things like climbing and parkour (especially those things where you catch a lip of a wall and climb up) so getting as much volume as you can on those muscles seems more important than getting the initial pull/scap retraction from a deadhang.

If it turns out that there are a lot of situations in your workouts where you DO need to pull from deadhang, then sure, switch to a full range of motion reset after each pull-up.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

The parent/kid aerial will be a bit watered down compared to regular adult aerial, but it's a neat chance to do something fun with my daughter over the summer. Both of us can see whether we want to continue doing any aerial, or whether we'd prefer just sticking with parkour.

Parkour and rock climbing is a totally perfect day! I agree about going big, but people are getting on my case about being too ambitious since I'm still recovering from an overuse injury. I'm jealous that your kid is still the swearing police. Mine are slightly older, and they're much more likely to take my naughty words as a license for them to use them too. :nightmare:

Lol, yea Race is always policing me. And then when I tell him he can't watch me play The Witcher because they say bad words he gets a little upset, ha!

"But I just won't say those bad words daddy."

"Yea but you get onto ME for saying bad words so I can't let you watch something with bad words."

"Well I just won't say them, I promise..."

And then he looks at me with those doe eyes.. DAMN YOUZ!! I'm not looking forward to the day where the boys think it's ok to use those words lol- I love their childhood innocence :)

Wolf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

I vote B.

Awesome challenge. Defeat Ultron! 

Do you watch American Ninja Warrior? Steffi Graff was in the first rounds. She is a stuntwoman who competed in 2013. Then she injured her knee working and had ACL surgery and couldn't compete. This year she is back competing. She says she spent the time while she was injured working on her upper body. Pretty inspiring.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Hmm. I'd say that I wouldn't worry about going to full extension/complete deadhang after every rep. The middle/top of the movement puts more work into the muscles that likely matter for things like climbing and parkour (especially those things where you catch a lip of a wall and climb up) so getting as much volume as you can on those muscles seems more important than getting the initial pull/scap retraction from a deadhang.

If it turns out that there are a lot of situations in your workouts where you DO need to pull from deadhang, then sure, switch to a full range of motion reset after each pull-up.

For climbing, the holds are pretty much never even (so one arm is at full extension while the other is slightly bent), and my best bet would be doing pull ups on climbing holds for the extra grip work.  For parkour, it certainly is useful to do deadhang pull ups, but it's not like you'd generally chain one after the other.  It would be more useful to get a muscle up or become better at 90 degree arm bend hanging traverses.  Now that I think about it, choice B would probably help me work on the upper part of the ROM, which in turn would help with a muscle up.

Lol, yea Race is always policing me. And then when I tell him he can't watch me play The Witcher because they say bad words he gets a little upset, ha!

Just wait until he starts kindergarden.  Unfortunately, my daughter has learned way too much from her classmates.  My son is still all sweet and innocent, and I really hope that doesn't disappear in another few months when he starts K.

Parent/child silks sounds pretty awesome. :) What's their lower age limit for the kiddos?

6 years old.  I hope a lot of the parent/child pairs have kids on the younger side of the age range.  My biggest worry is that if it's too confusing with too much talking, my daughter will tune out of the class.  

I vote B.

Awesome challenge. Defeat Ultron! 

Do you watch American Ninja Warrior? Steffi Graff was in the first rounds. She is a stuntwoman who competed in 2013. Then she injured her knee working and had ACL surgery and couldn't compete. This year she is back competing. She says she spent the time while she was injured working on her upper body. Pretty inspiring.

I think it's pretty common for active/athletic types to focus a lot on the upper body when they're rehabbing an ACL.  At least for my part, I felt like that was the one thing I could do that was purely for myself and not just even more physical therapy.  

My tutorials:

This is amazing!  I love everything about it.  The theme, how the individuals break down to be perfect goals, the goals themselves.  Gah.  Yes.  Yes to all of it.

tumblr_mz551nIJL51sjomhpo1_500_zps65b46e

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Perfect antidote to last challenge, I guess :)

For pull-ups, if you can only do 2-3 full-RoM pull-ups but 6 standard-RoM ones then it shows that there's a deficiency in the strength of some of your muscles, and you're going to get a lot of benefit by working on the weakest points. On the other hand as Raptron said, most of your applications of pull-up strength are not from the deadhang. Even when the holds are at ifferent heights, I very much doubt you start from full extension! So if you care more about that specific carryover than the general carryover to gymnastics then maybe do only the standard-RoM ones.

For muscle-ups, Mad Hatter is correct about the explosive pull-ups, although you'll definitely have to work on false grip, especially if you're doing them on rings. Weighted pull-ups are another option to accellerate your progress - have you tried those ever?

Good luck with everything, and I'll be lurking and supporting!

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

so not only is your challenge just my style (as in, all the things, but carefully structured so it seems TOTALLY REASONABLE) but the pull-up discussion is really exciting.

with our boys we made it super clear that if they felt they were adult enough to use bad words, then they needed to be responsible enough to understand who it was ok to swear in front of. which is basically only, like, their friends. if I catch them swearing in front of me I unpack the words and ask them why that's such a bad thing. ...... oh the conversation about Mother F was REALLY amazing (considering I'm their step-mom, so could ask them all kinds of awkward questions about their actual mom.... they were MORTIFIED. never used it again where we could hear them.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

with our boys we made it super clear that if they felt they were adult enough to use bad words, then they needed to be responsible enough to understand who it was ok to swear in front of. which is basically only, like, their friends. if I catch them swearing in front of me I unpack the words and ask them why that's such a bad thing. ...... oh the conversation about Mother F was REALLY amazing (considering I'm their step-mom, so could ask them all kinds of awkward questions about their actual mom.... they were MORTIFIED. never used it again where we could hear them.

Haha love this strategy. Awkward and embarrassing. :P 

A few little updates:

Friday, we were supposed to go climbing, but my daughter's new bed arrived.  So, instead the evening involved moving furniture, breaking down old furniture, and then assembling a 2 dresser and half lofted bed combo unit.  The whole thing took about 4 hours. I didn't quite get the workout I wanted, but it was definitely a workout.  

Saturday was the aerial silks intro class.  It was a little awkward for me, since my daughter was the only kid and I ended up helping her quite a bit rather than just doing my own thing.  I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, in part because the upper body and grip strength I've developed through all of the climbing really paid off in silks. For those aerial people who are curious, we learned knee locks, wrist locks (with tuck, inverted tuck, pike, arrow), slip knots (with an armpit hang, straddle back, gazelle, standing balance, air splits, standing hammock balance, seated hammock balance), figure 8 foot locks,  hummingbird, standard climbs, russian climbs, and probably some other stuff that I'm forgetting.  I felt pretty cool in that I could nail pretty much everything we tried with no difficulty, except that I found the foot locks very uncomfortable.  

I'll have some interesting decisions to make with Tuesday class, since the parkour school offers regular parkour class, obstacle course training, and the level 1 silks all at the same time.  At this point, though, I'm more inclined to just stick with the parent + child aerials as kind of a summer amusement.  

• Like 1

My tutorials:

Ooh, the silks class sounds fun :) Mainly I'm impressed that you could remember the names of so many of the moves! The circus group here has finally got an aerial rig assembled in a local church, so I'd like to go check that out at some point. I think there's a good amount of crossover from rings and climbing.

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity