Awesome job reining in food choices!  Mixed nuts and fruit >> Fritos :D

It was really remarkable how much better I felt. I tried to do my own thing in Excel for budgeting but I couldn't get it to work for me. I need the hand holding that YNAB gives me. I'm so looking forward to that buffer. 

Wooohoo!  I love YNAB.  If you do decide to go with it, I can potentially send you a referral link to get $6 off if you like.  Not sure it's still valid but I'll check.  They give them to current clients to recruit new people.  Also kicks back $6 to me but I can paypal that to you as well :-) 

Those are better food decisions than McD's and sounds super tasty!

I'm really digging YNAB so far. My first pay period didn't end up so great but now I have a better idea how to budget for the next one. I guess that's how it's supposed to work. No overnight successes for me. I'm just glad my desire to eat better has come back. I really didn't like that place I was mentally. 

Nice. Grocery stores are a fantastic and under-utilized resource in the battle for your body. Don't worry so much about restricting the calories. Better food choices are the name of the game now. Like you said: 700 calories of nuts feel better than 700 calories of Fritos.

I have a filing cabinet drawer in my main office that has supplies for cooking. We've got stoves and ovens in the lab so I just bought a couple of pans. I may not feel like packing lunch but I can run down to the store and buy something to cook for lunch. In the early days of CrossFit, there was an article in their journal where they gave 2 people some money and a 30 minute time limit. One person went fast food, the other to the grocery store.  They spent about the same amount of money and the same amount of time. It's definitely an underused resource for quick meals on the go. 

Glad my curiosity was thought provoking and led to helpfulness.

YNAB sounded interesting. I'm downloading it and going to give the software a try. At least for the trial period. Money is tighter than normal for me right now because of GAS going to the chiropractor 3x a week. I have a flexible healthcare spending account for the actual visits, but I did not think through the actually getting there. It's 43 miles one way. le sigh. BUT I have been looking for a better way to do my budget. I want to get out of debt. Student loans are the devil. Especially when they carry emotional baggage.

I also signed up for their email course.

My boyfriend has a similar problem with spending every last dime. He keeps saying he doesn't make enough to save money. He'll have enough to pay most of his bills one week. But since he only has $42 of one $78 bill, he spends the $42 on something else. But it's his money, not ours, and I certainly have little room to talk with credit card issues. Plus, I know that there are some weeks he struggles to feed himself  & little one, so other than making sure I pay for as much food as possible when I'm there, I just feel guilty for being critical.

Congrats on the food choices. I think paying less attention to the macro restrictions and switching to better food could be a great "ease in" technique.

I hope YNAB turns out to be a good tool for you. I have totally been where your BF is. I can spend every dime I have and still be behind or I can just be way behind but have something I want. Frak it. Yup, I know exactly how that happens. 

• Like 1

Hey lady.  You rock.  Don't forget it.

Also I'm curious about YNAB.  I'm pretty solid with my budgeting (grad student habit forced upon me), but it might be an app the Ladyfriend might be interested in. *jots down notes*

Sometimes I forget it. Thanks for the reminder. I know for YNAB to work, I'm still going to have to exercise some discipline but this is the first time I've felt like I had a framework that fit in with my brain. 

I freaking LOVE YNAB and I recommend it here on NF often! I love it so much that I keep our personal books AND my business books in it. 

Proud of you for thinking about shifting your perspective on "when life settles down."  I just finished reading The Willpower Instinct, and one of the chapters discusses how we always tend to envision our future selves as some different person who will be capable of doing what we're not able to do today... there is a disconnect that causes us to believe that our future selves will magically have more willpower than we have today. Really interesting stuff. 

Yes, future joedog was totally supposed to have this shit figured out by now. I'm not sure when I thought the magic "figure shit out fairy" was going to dispense this knowledge, but clearly it isn't happening. I'll have to check out that book. More self control would be handy. 

Hmmmm...This might be something I have to look into. :/

But I think it's AWESOME that you did some soul searching and found out your eating habits were about control. That's a big realization.

I totally feel the same way. When I don't feel like I have good control of what is going on in my life, I get in a "Fuck It" mood and my eating goes to shit. I don't track or count calories, or even care if it's helathy. Then I feel horrible for getting so out of shape and that's just one more thing I loose control over.

It's a horrible downward spiral. :(

But as GI Joe says: Knowing's Half the Battle!

I'm glad you are actively trying to conquor your weekness on this subject. You inspire me :)

<3

Yeah, May was pretty much just a Sneaky Hate Spiral. June seems much better. 

Ok, now I've gotten all caught up    

Way to go on the soul searching / brain-poking.    It's so hard to honestly face hard questions and then peel the layers off when you start finding some potential answers.   Good on you for doing that.

I waffle between being great with money and being shit with money.     I really like 'envelope' style budgeting because it lets me do two things.   Have a visual of what I am allowed per week / month, and allows me to 'roll over' unused to the next schedule in case I want to save up for something.     Goodbudget does that, and it's free, but I totally grok how the FORMAT has to win you over.

I think mint.com also has free budgeting stuff.

Yay for return to boxing.   I really need to get back to my class, but now, at this point, I'm scared to go alone.  >.>

Isn't it funny how important the format is? "I can't use this brilliant software because that button is in the wrong spot." Okay, so yes, I'm the person who stopped shopping at a particular Walmart because they painted it a different color inside. I have issues.  :rolleyes:

I haven't been back since that particular post. Last week was stupid and then I got sick. Maybe today? Just use your 30 seconds of beast mode and go do it! That's so much easier to say than do.  :tongue:

The airport is finally done. Last week consisted of some really long days and then I got the mother of all head colds. I think I was drinking 3 liters of water per day and it was all leaving my body via my nose. I've still got a little congestion but I'm finally feeling like I'm going to live. 

My goals for the challenge are finally up there in post #1. 3 workouts per week, days to be designated on Monday each week. Track all my food and meet my calorie goal as laid out by my trainer. And keep up my work with YNAB. 

I had to cancel my Monday workout because I still felt awful. I'm thinking they will be today, Friday and either Saturday or Sunday. 

I haven't done so great this week with tracking. Time to get back on that horse.

Still up to date with YNAB. 

• Like 1

go get healthy and punch some stuff!

Cheering you on big time.  Plus when you meet the "the magic "figure shit out fairy"" can you let us all know their contact details?  I wanna meet them cause somehow they just keep on not turning up..... damn magic figure shit out fairy.........

Go for it Joedog!

• Like 2

So you're up on money tracking, but down on the others. Eh. That's okay. Given how integral money can be for everything, it's probably the wisest thing you can keep up with.

Now on to the rest. :)

My life continues to be like room temperature mercury. I may get my thumb on a drop of it but the rest goes shooting off. 

Glad your cold is feeling better.  There's still plenty of time this week to kick some butt :)

I was on top of the world until shark week came and knocked me down a peg. Silly sharks. 

go get healthy and punch some stuff!

Cheering you on big time.  Plus when you meet the "the magic "figure shit out fairy"" can you let us all know their contact details?  I wanna meet them cause somehow they just keep on not turning up..... damn magic figure shit out fairy.........

Go for it Joedog!

When I catch the damn FSO Fairy, I will share her gladly. 

• Like 1

How you feeling chica? :)        I'm just popping in because I was thinking about you!

Here is a tiny, ferocious anime cat to help cheer you on.

giphy.gif

Yay tiny ferocious anime cat! I'm feeling better. I went to boxing Wednesday and it was excellent. 

Boo head cold!

Yay recovery!

Don't hit it too hard too fast. You may get knocked on your butt again. I'm glad you were drinking 3L a day though! Vit C, too!

Hope you're back to your normal self soon <3

moon-healing-activation-o.gif

I hit it hard and woke up the next morning with a new wave of sinus drainage. I'm better now. 3L just about keeps me hydrated when I'm in the field. Almost. Many years ago when I first started working in the quarry I had some dehydration adventures. One day I drank at least one gallon of water and 2 32 oz of Gatorade. I didn't pee for 14 hours and had epic leg cramps. I'm so glad I don't have to work like that anymore. 

Week 1 recap:

I did 1 workout. The head cold and shark week kept me down. I know some ladies can work through it but I'm just too drained to work and work out during that time. 

I tracked 100% on 5 days. Four of those days I was within my calorie goal. One of the 2 days I didn't track was close to goal, the other way probably way off from goal. I didn't feel like eating much over the weekend. 

YNAB is still going well for me although I may have to extend my long term goal for being a paycheck ahead. I tried to spend away some anxiety this weekend. It didn't help my anxiety or my bank account but at least I have new socks.  ;) The up side is that thanks to YNAB, I know exactly where I am. Normally I just have a sense of dread that I'm over extended but I really don't know where or how much, so, progress. 

I'm meeting Tanner tonight. Planning on boxing Wednesday and maybe Thursday night depending on work. I really want to check out a yoga class soon, too. I was talking about it with someone Saturday night and realized how much I'm missing that for my brain and my back. 

• Like 4

That's excellent you still got a work out in despite some roadblocks.  Awesome job with YNAB!  That's great that you don't have the dread-y feeling, and know where you stand.  Knowing where you stand is the first step in taking control of your finances :D

Have an awesome week 2!

well done for not being derailed by last week!

Brilliant that you still managed a workout, tracked calories and did just fine.  Despite all the temptations to not.

Cheering you on.  Have a great week 2.

and yep, I love your mercury analogy!  FSO Fairy and RT mercury - sheer brilliance.

That's excellent you still got a work out in despite some roadblocks.  Awesome job with YNAB!  That's great that you don't have the dread-y feeling, and know where you stand.  Knowing where you stand is the first step in taking control of your finances :D

Have an awesome week 2!

I think seeing how much we spend on eating out is going to help too. I know that's where I have a lot of spending but to actually see the number is kind of...whoa. It was nice to see my Mom so happy for me when I was telling her about it too. She's tried so hard to help me with this problem through the years. (And many others, my Mom is a saint.) 

well done for not being derailed by last week!

Brilliant that you still managed a workout, tracked calories and did just fine.  Despite all the temptations to not.

Cheering you on.  Have a great week 2.

and yep, I love your mercury analogy!  FSO Fairy and RT mercury - sheer brilliance.

:redface-new: I don't know about brilliance but thanks. 

Happy Monday! Here's to a really super week with retreating sharks and no colds.

Your mercury analogy is pure brilliance.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

Sharks and head colds are gone. Despite yesterday I think it's going to be a good week! 

Oh dearest. I'm so sorry. ï¸

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

Thanks. Yesterday sucked. 

Sorry for your loss.

Yoga's definitely a wise move now, if you can.

Thanks. I need to go look at the schedule and see when I can fit it in. Maybe Friday if TS Bill dumps the rain here like they are saying. It sounds like a Roger Miller lyric but you can't pave in a tropical storm. 

Yesterday ended up not going according to plan. I knew Sunny was pretty sick but I was holding out that the vet would have some hope for us. They took her temp and it was only 92F. Cats are normally around 101F. I knew she was already going. So we let her go. It was a month to the day of losing our dog. Both of them were Amy's pets before we even got together so keep her in your thoughts and prayers too.

I ended up canceling on my trainer. It was just too much for one day. We met with the realtor. The sign will go up at Mom's house on Friday. It should sell pretty quickly. Mom is very happy because she had a number in her head for list price and it was exactly what the realtor suggested. Should be able to get her in a new house, completely paid off and have some excess for the bank. 

I gave myself one day to eat my feelings and my feelings were carbs. LOL. Back on track today. 

YNAB is daily proving its worth to me. I was able to walk in to that unexpected expense and know where I was. Knowledge is power. 

:(

*hugs*

Thanks

eish!! you're having a rough start to this challenge.  Pls send Amy my love - losing loved ones (even the furry kind) is not easy.  Hope things start looking up soon. 

Hugs xxxx

Yeah, stuff just happens that way sometimes. Thanks for thinking of us. Amy is having a hard time. 

All my tracking is still up to date. I was going to make up a gym day yesterday but then I realized I needed to mow. The little dogs were getting lost in the back yard. LOL. So I mowed and worked on my truck. 

Planning on boxing tonight and tomorrow evening. I may have to settle for a walk over the weekend for workout number 3. It would be so great to get 3 boxing visits in this week. 

Are any of you all watching Sense8? It's a slow starter trying to get the backstory developed on 8 main characters but I like it. I'm the person that plot can be thin if I'm invested in the characters and I love the characters. 

Time to go put some meat in my face-hole and then get back to work!  :tongue: