• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Well, it's hard to want to train when you don't like the guy who does the training. I wouldn't say suck it up and go, either: productive martial arts training requires being in an environment where you get along with your teacher and your partners.

I ate pretty bad this past weekend too. Got a feeling you're in good company as far as food-related shenanigans and American holidays go. Like you said: it's a new week.

I hope you get to engage in the floating of your choice. ^_^;;

My plan backfired on me. He was there last night. I made myself mentally work through why I don't like him. He's not a bad trainer. I just don't have the connection with him that I have with Mike and Raini.

I think the only floating we are doing this weekend is going to be in an ark. I've been promised another float trip later on but I doubt if it happens and I'm bitter. I'm buying my own damn kayak and going whenever I want as soon as I get some money saved up. 

week 4 was my potentially very worst challenge week ever, personally. I think there was maybe something in the water. like you say - week 5 is a new week!

Onward to a new week! 

Cheering you on for week 5!

and 5 K success!  Its a great distance, long enough that you feel like a runner, yet all over in 45 min!

Thanks! My only official 5k time is like 54 minutes but we didn't run any of it. I still weighed about 330 lbs at the time so walking was the only way I was willing to participate. 

I went to boxing last night. I was in a super bad mood but I made myself go and as happens 99% of the time I felt completely better afterwards. For those of you who aren't facebook friends, I had a cluster of people nearby who apparently came to boxing class to chat with each other. Normally I can ignore it or use it to fuel my workout but last night it just annoyed the crap out of me. At the end of class it occurred to me that I could have just moved to a different bag. I'm a genius sometimes.  :tongue:

Supposed to be going on night shift tonight but it's pouring rain. The project isn't starting but we are going to try a couple of things with the plant to make sure we are set up right when it starts. 

Somehow I managed to crank the crap out of my back last night. I think I might have done it trying out the burpee technique from the video over in The Courtyard. Still got some weight to lose before I can be that explosive off the ground. Pretty sure it's just a kinked muscle, not anything serious. But it has taken the wind out of my sails. 

Burpees are tough. Even if you hip-load them to make 'em spring. Maybe even especially then if you're carrying a lot of weight.

That's part of the reason why I followed the video I linked to - the form I posted is terrible for putting up lots of numbers, but from the standpoint of keeping your body safe and all the alignments right, it's probably better. Probably.

Get rested up! You're gonna need it. Ice and ibuprofen.

• Like 1

WAIT there is burpee technique in the courtyard? you monks are INTENSE.

I've been practicing squat thrusts, and I'm sooooo slow but trying to do them correctly. I seriously have to talk my brain into the jumping back part, every single time. for some reason my brain thinks they are super dangerous things to do.

YAY re boxing cheering you up (apart from the gossips - I hate that sooooo much - just sodding well train, don't talk!).

grrrr re twinges in your back - rest and appropriate painkillers.......

I think the only floating we are doing this weekend is going to be in an ark. I've been promised another float trip later on but I doubt if it happens and I'm bitter. I'm buying my own damn kayak and going whenever I want as soon as I get some money saved up. 

It really sucks about floating. Owning my own only helps some. I own 1 but have access to 2 more and would totally let you use them if you wanted to go anywhere we could meet. 

The problem for me is shuttling. I live alone and most of my friends are 1)far away & 2) off on weekends.   The 2 places nearby that do shuttles will often refuse to shuttle me on the account of I'm a girl going alone.(Their exact words) Let me SEE them shuttle a male alone and I will have a fit. There's a place on the Buffalo that I never have a problem with, but that's a longer drive and more costly trip.

Oh, and the wal-mart kayaks are actually pretty good. (That's what 1 of the 2 is) And Academy has some decent low price ones (That's the other one). My kayak was a college graduation gift from most of my family.

Sorry to hear about your back, and the non-connecting trainer. We used to several different people take turns as our TKD instructors. There was 1 I didn't really connect with, and on nights he was there, I started going to down to the beginners. But he didn't last long. Turned out, he didn't really connect with us, so he left.

The only reason I'm not in the "4th ate too much club" is cause I was too busy at work all weekend except for when I was briefly ill. I made up for the entire week before though.

• Like 1

Need to vent and I can't vent on facebook. My boss is such a twatwaffle. I'm at urgent care right now because of my back and he still expects me to be at work tonight.

I wasn't really planning on missing work unless it's something catastrophic but FFS...

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

whaaaaaat that guy. start saying things like "just trying to avoid an osha recordable." what an earhole!

He's a special guy. We are so shorthanded it's ridiculous. Up until like 2009 if we needed man hours that equaled 1.5 people on the job, we rounded up. After the economy tanked we started trimming. No we round down. Plus we've basically lost the guy who has cancer and another of our people contracted Rocky Mounted Spotted Fever. She's going to be okay but she's still really below her former capacity. We're dealing with a personnel nightmare. And we can't even really hire anyone. By the time we got anyone up to speed, it would be time for layoffs. Since the DOT's budget for next year is effectively half of this year, we don't expect to have the work next year. So it's not just me grinding through a lot of crap this year. 

oh and I hope you feel better quickly!

Thanks! Turns out I'm not a superhuman cyborg after all. All I can say is to quote the Rolling Stones. What a drag it is getting old. 

uuuuuuggggggghhhhhh!

you're injured and he expects you to turn up and lift stuff???!?!!!!!  WTF!

Vent away!  Sounds fully justified to me.

Get better fast.

I've got minions here who are doing my lifting for me. It's really not that bad. He just really pissed me off when he didn't even ask if I was going to be okay for work. Thanks to steroids, muscle relaxers and anti inflammatories I will live to fight another day. I haven't been that excited about a bag of pills since 2001.  :devilish:

• Like 1

Burpees are tough. Even if you hip-load them to make 'em spring. Maybe even especially then if you're carrying a lot of weight.

That's part of the reason why I followed the video I linked to - the form I posted is terrible for putting up lots of numbers, but from the standpoint of keeping your body safe and all the alignments right, it's probably better. Probably.

Get rested up! You're gonna need it. Ice and ibuprofen.

Ice and ibuprofen have graduated to prednisone, flexaril and ultram. Fortunately it's just a muscle strain. I don't have any of the markers for a slipped disc which made me VERY happy. 

Awesome job getting in a work out! Taking a break to work out the kinks is a good idea :)

The kinks came and went and then came back with a vengeance. I might have even shed a tear waiting at urgent care today. Hope you are having a good vacay! 

WAIT there is burpee technique in the courtyard? you monks are INTENSE.

I've been practicing squat thrusts, and I'm sooooo slow but trying to do them correctly. I seriously have to talk my brain into the jumping back part, every single time. for some reason my brain thinks they are super dangerous things to do.

Have you met our leadership? We're a serious bunch of folks over here. I want to work on my body weight movements a lot but I really need to commit to changing my body weight to make that a more achievable goal. 

YAY re boxing cheering you up (apart from the gossips - I hate that sooooo much - just sodding well train, don't talk!).

grrrr re twinges in your back - rest and appropriate painkillers.......

Boxing always makes me happier. I have a friend who I think is going to start joining me. She just turned 40 and has a baby on the way. (She's not the birth mother.) She decided she needed to get in better shape to be able to keep up with the kiddo. Having kids has never been something I wanted but I can't imagine having a baby on the way at our age. I have a hard enough time keeping up with the dogs. 

• Like 1

It really sucks about floating. Owning my own only helps some. I own 1 but have access to 2 more and would totally let you use them if you wanted to go anywhere we could meet. 

The problem for me is shuttling. I live alone and most of my friends are 1)far away & 2) off on weekends.   The 2 places nearby that do shuttles will often refuse to shuttle me on the account of I'm a girl going alone.(Their exact words) Let me SEE them shuttle a male alone and I will have a fit. There's a place on the Buffalo that I never have a problem with, but that's a longer drive and more costly trip.

Oh, and the wal-mart kayaks are actually pretty good. (That's what 1 of the 2 is) And Academy has some decent low price ones (That's the other one). My kayak was a college graduation gift from most of my family.

Sorry to hear about your back, and the non-connecting trainer. We used to several different people take turns as our TKD instructors. There was 1 I didn't really connect with, and on nights he was there, I started going to down to the beginners. But he didn't last long. Turned out, he didn't really connect with us, so he left.

The only reason I'm not in the "4th ate too much club" is cause I was too busy at work all weekend except for when I was briefly ill. I made up for the entire week before though.

Shuttling is a big problem even with the 2 of us and 2 vehicles. Most canoe liveries here charge almost as much to shuttle as they do to rent a canoe. It's just one of those things that isn't as a big a priority to my Mrs. She likes to go. I live for a day at the river. I have a place that's pretty close by where you can put in at a lake and paddle upstream in the river then back down to the boathouse. It's called the James River Water Trail. Pretty good fishing and decent scenery for being right on the edge of Springpatch. Everything is so flooded right now though. We should try to get together before your job takes you farther away. Unless you end up even closer which would be cool too!

You know, you run into the same specialness in the food services industry too. Bottom line: unless you're popping out a kid or vomiting uncontrollably, you show up and get to work. Still sucks, girl. :( Glad you got back on track, though.

You know, you run into the same specialness in the food services industry too. Bottom line: unless you're popping out a kid or vomiting uncontrollably, you show up and get to work. Still sucks, girl. :( Glad you got back on track, though.

A few years ago we had a pregnant lady in our department. We told her that when it was time for the baby, she could have the afternoon off but she better be back the next day. Joking, of course. 

I had great success with avoiding unnecessary snacks last night. I had this thought like I'll get my test done then run to the store for foodz. I made myself stop and explore whether I was actually hungry or just feeling a need to snack while watching Vikings. Tonight I brought carrots, tomatoes and some home popped popcorn for snacks. (I'm a popcorn snob. It must be freshly popped and NOT from the microwave.) 

My back felt 110% better when I got up today. Since I've been at work it has tightened up again but nothing like yesterday. Not really sure when I'll be able to go back to boxing.  :angry: Probably about the time my back is ok, it will be time to start the next ridiculous work adventure, 12 hour shifts at a plant 2 hours from  home. 

Only got about 5 hours of sleep yesterday. Pretty sure I'm going to be in bed by 5 am this time which will help a bunch. I want to tackle a major eating overhaul during the next challenge but that may not be realistic with the 24-7 job starting up. Right now I'm so tired of restaurant or otherwise over processed crap that I would rather go hungry than eat it. 

• Like 2

YAY for your back not being a slipped disk, and already improving (hopefully improving properly and not just the drugs making the world a brighter place).

Huge yay for being over eating processed crap - hang on to that thought.  I loved the sound of your snacks - they sound delicious.  I rediscovered grated carrot in salad yesterday (plus a bit of lemon juice) - somehow I always forget how good it tastes....

Also loved the thought of your special spot on the river - hope you get back there soon.

• Like 1

Hi gang! I am still alive. I did 9 days in a row at work. We are off tonight because of an equipment breakdown. Life has been really crazy doing the night shift thing with no time off, my back still giving me a lot of trouble and some other issues weighing in.

This past challenge started out pretty good then ground to a halt but I feel like I laid some ground work. My back is feeling a lot better. I'm going to finish the prednisone but I haven't taken any of the PRN pain meds for a couple of days.  My major accomplishments over the last couple of weeks have been consuming massive amounts of books and tv. 

I haven't got my next challenge planned out yet. I know it's going to be very basic. Like "See Spot Run" basic, only with less running. Hope to get that up in the next few days. 

• Like 4

I'm glad you're alive! I'm not so glad about the 9 days, especially with the nutty heat and weather. hope you're doing ok, but it sounds like treating overwork with books and tv is a great way to go.

Was glad to see that you finally have a day off.  Take care of that back!  basic is good.  Nothing wrong with basic.

So, any of those books and TV shows recommendation worthy?

I'm glad you're alive! I'm not so glad about the 9 days, especially with the nutty heat and weather. hope you're doing ok, but it sounds like treating overwork with books and tv is a great way to go.

I'm glad to be alive too. Although anxiety, PMS and prednisone made for an interesting combination of moods last week. I got to spend a lot of time practicing self awareness. There was a lot of "joedog, you are not having a normal response to this stimulus." Heh. I gave in and signed up for kindle unlimited. I should probably just paste a picture of my mug on the back of my Kindle. 

Was glad to see that you finally have a day off.  Take care of that back!  basic is good.  Nothing wrong with basic.

So, any of those books and TV shows recommendation worthy?

Got back to work tonight and found out that due to some equipment scheduling issues we aren't on a 21 day work week after all. That is very happy news.

I greatly enjoyed Sense8 but reviews seem to be split on it. Either you'll love it or hate it. It starts really slow so give it at least 4 eps before giving up. I watched the first 2 seasons of Vikings. Then I moved on to Defiance and then Sleepy Hollow. We're also watching Wentworth, women's prison without the rom-com-ness of OITNB. I'm so far behind on Supernatural that I'll probably never catch up until they stop making it. I should probably get back to it once I get Defiance wrapped up. 

For books...I finally got around to The Martian. It might be the best book I've read this year. Then I moved on to The Old Man's War series by John Scalzi. I'm really liking it so far. I tried some William Gibson but couldn't get into it so I re-read Ready Player One. I've got Armada going on Audible right now. It is pretty much the bastard love child of RPO and Ender's Game. I can't say its a great book but something about Cline's humor always manages to rope me back in just when I'm about to declare it too stupid to continue. It might also be that I'm listening to it and Wil Wheaton is just a little too good at whiny teenage boy angst voice. I'm working on Sand and The Shell Collector by Hugh Howey. I really love Howey. Wool was fantastic and Shift was just gut wrenching for me, in a good way. I'm not a fan of the Audible narration of Wool. It might get better but the narrator's attempts at different voices sounds silly to me. James Marsters may have ruined me for mediocre narration of audiobooks. 

Sigh. Clearly someone here gets way too emotionally involved with fictional characters and perhaps should interact with actual people some day.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Ooh, ooh! I survived Sense8! I thought it was great, although I think I pretty much know who wrote what - if it involved nudity/sex and rave music, it was the Wachowskis. J. Mike pretty much did the rest.

You are right, it does take a while to rev up. But once it got started, I couldn't stop.

Also, don't knock See Spot Run. You seen Spot? Dude is ripped. He knows a thing or two.

Way to survive another one. Good job.

• Like 1