Clean and Jerk: 185 lbs

Snatch: 135 lbs

Long Term Goals (Year)

Reduce my BF% to ~15%

Increase all of my 5 and 3 rep maxes 20 – 50 lbs

Reach my goal weight of 194 lbs

Threats

I have a son due in mid June, my attention may wane

I have a poor track record in the past dealing with long term goals (6 weeks is a long time for me)

I love beer and gummy candies

Observation

I have 2.5 months to work on these issues as I am a teacher and have the summer off

I have new motivation to be healthy for my family and my new son.

Diet and mental attitude are the places where I seem to lack the most often.

Plan

The quests may change within the 6 weeks.  I am going to shoot to have two mini three week challenges within the 6 weeks.

Diet, Mental Focus, and Establishing Routines will be the main focus of the 1st 3 weeks

Strength Training and two unknowns will be the focus of the 2nd 3 weeks.

First 3 weeks 

Quest 1: Diet (Constitution) – I shall, for the next 3 weeks stay underneath my net calorie goal as measured by MyFitnessPal

·         A: 6 out of 7 days

·         B: 5 out of 7 days

·         C: 4 out of 7 days

·         F: 3 or fewer days

Quest 2: Mental Focus (Wisdom) – I shall, for the next 3 weeks practice mindfulness and meditation

·         A: 7 out of 7 days

·         B: 6 out of 7 days

·         C: 5 out of 7 days

·         D: 4 out of 7 days

Quest 3: Routines (Charisma) – I shall complete the following routine at the end of the day to signal myself that it is the end of the day. (1) Wash the dishes [this may include emptying the dishwasher], (2) Set coffee to brew for the next day, (3) complete 20 V-Ups

·         A: 7 out of 7 days

·         B: 6 out of 7 days

·         C: 5 out of 7 days

·         D: 4 out of 7 days

• Like 1

Fortunately (for me) my time with new borns is so long ago, and so lost in the haze of my then sleep deprivation, that I don't even remember what it was like.  Though there was that incident where I was doing a lot of electrical labs for school, my wife woke me up to check on the crying baby, and I returned (baby still crying in the background) and mumbled something about not being able to figure out the input and the output....

good luck....

• Like 3

I just went through the whole newborn thing with twins last year.  The sleep deprivation may affect your recovery somewhat, so cut yourself a little slack on frequency during the worst of it, but it will get better.  They are a lot of work, but it's also amazing to watch them grow and learn.  Congratulations!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone!  I can't wait for Logan "Weapon X" to be born.  I'm sure to miss out on sleep and miss out on exercise days.  That's why for at least the 1st 3 weeks I am doing quests focusing on maintaining routines and mental focus.

Hopefully I won't see too much loss in the lifting gains I've already had.

Tomorrow is the day of days...of the challenge. I've already started on the 3rd quest over the past week. Why start tomorrow what can be started today!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Alright!  Challenge 2 Day 1 of 42 6/8/15

Quest 1: 266 Kcal behind my net calorie goal!

Quest 2: Meditation exercises completed

Quest 3: Dishes completed, coffee made and v-ups done.

Day 1 in the bag!

• Like 3

Big updates for this week

Challenge 2 Day 2 of 45

I biked 23 miles today that was awesome.

Q1 800 kcal under

Q2 Meditation completed

Q3 evening plan done

Challenge 2 Day 3 of 45

Wendler 531 ohpress day amrap 10 at 120 lbs

Q1 200 kcal over

Q2 Meditation fail

Q3 wife went into labor...no dnd tonight and no routines

Challenge 2 Day 4 of 45

Fail all quests. Q1 1900kcal over, Q2 sleeping as much as possible Q3 not at home unable to finish

My son was born 6/11/15 at 5 am!!!

• Like 1

Alright! Everything is Awesome!

Challenge 2

Day 5 of 45

Q1 Fail 200 kcal over

Q2 Fail, no meditation performed

Q3 Fail

Day 6 of 45

Q1 Fail 600 kcal over

Q2 Fail, no meditation performed

Q3 Fail

Day 7 of 45

Q1 Fail 421 kcal over

Q2 SUCCESS!!! Meditation complete

Q3 SUCCESS!!! Coffee Made, Dishes done, V-Ups Complete!!!

Week 1 in Summary

Quest 1 - 2 days out of 7 I get an F

Quest 2 - 2 days out of 7...also an F

Quest 3 - 3 days out of 7...also an F

However, I would like this week to go into the record books with an asterix as Wednesday and Thursday my son was born and we were in the hospital.  Also Friday, Saturday, and Sunday it felt like my house was a revolving door of people...most of whom brought food, or wanted to toast with beer and wine.  I did my best and only went over on my calorie goals by a little...on some of the days. I loved having the people over to see my little Wolverine, but it was hard to stay on diet plan. 

It will be interesting to see how we do with this over the next several weeks.

• Like 1

I think you can forgive yourself for some slipping goals. The newborn time is a whirlwind, and you never know for sure how many times you'll get to experience it, so enjoy it ðŸ‘

• Like 2

However, I would like this week to go into the record books with an asterix as Wednesday and Thursday my son was born and we were in the hospital.  Also Friday, Saturday, and Sunday it felt like my house was a revolving door of people...most of whom brought food, or wanted to toast with beer and wine.  I did my best and only went over on my calorie goals by a little...on some of the days. I loved having the people over to see my little Wolverine, but it was hard to stay on diet plan. 

It will be interesting to see how we do with this over the next several weeks.

I'd say with everything going on you did pretty well! 

• Like 1

Hello NF!  I just would like to give an update about how everything is going with my current quests over the past 3 days of week 2

Challenge 2 Day 8 of 45

Quest 1: I did great on this day.  As well as getting a workout in Wendler 531 programming I stayed under my net calorie deficit by ~400 calories

Quest 2: Once the baby was down napping that gave me plenty of time to get to my mental exercises and I did my meditations.

Quest 3: I washed the dishes, did my v-ups, and since I'm a teacher and its summer break I set the tea kettle to heat water for the next day to make some French Press coffee.  It tastes sooooo much better than drip coffee. I wish I had the time for it every day. I know it doesn't take that long, but at 6am during the school year the extra step feels harder than it is.

Challenge 2 Day 9 of 45

Quest 1: I was fairly bad this day, and only got a small walk in as exercise goes.  However, it was great because it has helped my wife start moving around again after giving birth.  I went WAY WAY over my net calorie goal, by ~775 kcal.

Quest 2: It was the same as day 8 I was able to put my son down for a nap and get my meditation done!

Quest 3: Same as day 8.  No issues doing the dishes and getting everything set.  I was even able to sanitize the breast pump and other things for the kid.  V-ups are getting easier.  Maybe I'll start adding pauses at the top and bottom ends to make them harder.

Challenge 2 Day 10 of 45

Quest 1: Back on track today I was right at my calorie goal of 1900 net calories.  So I seem to be doing pretty good there.  Eating vegetables...not tons, but having them twice a day is more than I used to. Feeling pretty good.

Quest 2: Meditation completed.

Quest 3: Same as day 9

Overall I'm feeling well, the baby is doing well, my wife is doing well.  I don't want to jinx anything by being too positive, but everything is looking a-okay :).  The only thing I could use more of is sleep...well unbroken sleep. Thank GOD I am not teaching summer school this year.  

• Like 3

Alrighty, I haven't hit the keyboards for awhile, newborn and all; I do have some updates on how my quests are going.

Challenge 2 Day 11 of 45 6/19/15

Quest 1: Failure ~500 kcal over

Quest 2: Mindfulness completed

Quest 3: success

Challenge 2 Day 12 of 45 6/20/15

Quest 1: Failure ~700 kcal over goal

Quest 2: Success Mindfulness completed

Challenge 2 Day 13 of 45 6/21/15

Quest 1:Success ~300 kcal under

Quest 2: failure no mindfulness completed

Challenge 2 Day 14 of 45 6/22/15

Quest 1: Failure! 300kcal over my goal

Quest 2: Failure mindfulness incomplete

Quest 3: failure

Week 2 in Summary

Quest 1: 3 of 7 Failure

Quest 2: 6 of 7 this is a solid B!!!!

Quest 3: 6 of 7 also a solid B!!!!

Overall I think that everything is going fairly well. I have still been able to get to the gym 3days a week.  I've been running Wendler 531 and have hit some new PRs.  Though this is the 3rd week of my first cycle.  We'll see how things go!

I need to get my summer eating under control, I think that it has mostly been eating to fill up time when the little one has been asleep.  I have some projects around the house that need to be done so I'm going to see if the snacking goes away with a little more activity in my day.

Mindfulness has been helpful especially visualization techniques, when looking at how to stay calm when the baby is not being calm.

Alright, it has been difficult to find the time to log on and write out how I did over the past week.  Although I did keep track so we can do a check in!

Challenge 2 Week 3 June 22 - June 29 (21 days completed!!)

Quest 1: I was under my calorie goal 4 days out of 7 - 1st time I've earned more than an F in this category Grade C

Quest 2: This past week I also had 4 days out of 7 doing meditations - Nearly every time I thought the baby was asleep and tried to do the meditation he woke up.  It was like he could sense it!!! Grade D

Quest 3: This is the goal I did the best with 5 out of 7 days completing all the dishes, making coffee, and doing my V-ups Grade C

To sum up from the past 3 weeks

Quest 1: 9 of 21 days = 42% - this is failure...no constitution points awarded

Quest 2: 12 of 21 days = 57% this is a failure...no wisdom points awarded

Quest 3: 14 of 21 days = 70% this is the only success!! But it also makes me SOOO Happy.  I was tired of having a dismal looking kitchen.  Based on this I award 1 point to Charisma IF I FINISH THE CHALLENGE!!

Now, this was my plan from the start:

Plan

The quests may change within the 6 weeks.  I am going to shoot to have two mini three week challenges within the 6 weeks.

Diet, Mental Focus, and Establishing Routines will be the main focus of the 1st 3 weeks

Strength Training and two unknowns will be the focus of the 2nd 3 weeks.

Even with having a newborn I have been able to make it to my workouts 3 days a week and have been running the Wendler 531 program.  It has been awesome and I have seen some strength gains.

Start of June 1RM

Back Squat: 321 lbs

Dead Lift: 373 lbs

Overhead Press: 158 lbs

Bench Press: 233 lbs

Power Cleans: 237 lbs

End of June 1RM

Back Squat: 330 lbs +9 lbs

Dead Lift: 390 lbs +17 lbs

Overhead Press: 160 lbs +2 lbs

Bench Press: 253 lbs + 20 lbs

Power Cleans: 238 lbs +1 lb

From 5/30/15 - 22% Body Fat at 211.8 lbs                                  To 6/27/15 - 23% Body Fat at 207.6 lbs

I was really upset about this metric for awhile, but then I remembered the increases that I had in lifting and it doesn't bother me as much (I'm measuring using calipers btw).

So now on to the goals for the next 3 weeks of the challenge I will return to my Long Term Goals!

Long Term Goals (Year)

Reduce my BF% to ~15%

Increase all of my 5 and 3 rep maxes 20 – 50 lbs

Reach my goal weight of 194 lbs\

Quest 1: (Strength) - I shall, for the next 3 weeks continue with my Wendler 531 program and increase all of my lifts 1RM by a MINIMUM of 5 lbs (I'm still in Noob gains mode so I think this is possible)

• A - 5 of 5 lifts
  • B - 4 of 5 lifts
  • C - 3 of 5 lifts
  • D - 2 of 5 lifts
  • F - 1 or fewer lifts

Quest 2: (Stamina) I have been incorporating CF style body weight workouts to the end of my lifting sessions as my Accessory Lifts.  I want to increase my capacity in the following workout: Modified MILA 15/10/5 - Burpees, Pullups, Box Jumps, Dips, Toes to Bar. The first time I did this was last week and I completed all rounds in 18:30min.  The last day of the challenge I will repeat this set of exercises.

• A - All exercises completed in 14:30min
  • B - All exercises completed in 15:30min
  • C - All exercises completed in 16:30min
  • D - All exercises completed in 17:30min
  • F - Anything over 17:30min

Quest 3: Quest 3 is Quest 2...I really want to improve my mindfulness so I will repeat Quest 2 from the first 3 weeks!

Mental Focus (Wisdom) – I shall, for the next 3 weeks practice mindfulness and meditation

• A: 7 out of 7 days
  • B: 6 out of 7 days
  • C: 5 out of 7 days
  • D: 4 out of 7 days
  • F: 3 or fewer days

Overall I feel good about these goals and I think I should be able to complete them with the infant in tow!  

Wish me luck!

• Like 1

Working toward my new goals here was my workout from today!

Rowing 5 min

Stretching 15 min

PowerCleans & Deadlift wendler 531 deload week

"No Excuses"

30 min time cap

2mi 16:45

100 of 100 pushups

114 of 200 situps

30 of 50 burpees

This was a good workout. I just changed gyms and I finally have an Olympic lifting platform and bumper plates!

I don't have time to hit the gym today as I'm helping with my niece's 3rd birthday party. However, I'm taking 20 minutes + a warm up to do this.

AMRAP 20 minutes

25x Squats

20x Push-ups

15x Box jumps (24 inch)

10x Burpees

5x Pull-ups

I finished 4 rounds + 25/20/11/0/0

Hopefully I'll also have time to do my meditation!

Today's workout!

Row 5 min

Stretch 15 min

Bench Press 531 deload

Bear on a Ladder

10 rounds

1-2-3-...-8-9-10x reps of

Squat clean (135#/95#)

Thruster

Back squat

Push press

I completed. ..

6 rounds +7pc and 4 thrusters

Thrusters at 95#

Luckily tomorrow is the last deload day. I can't wait to do some heavier lifts again.

I also was able to do my mediations both yesterday and today!

Alright!  I have time right now to sum up the progress from June 30 - July 6th!

Quest 1: This will be measured at the end of the challenge, but I did complete one full cycle in my Wendler 531 and am starting a new one today!

Quest 2: As I haven't tried this again yet I don't have data, but I have been doing other similar workouts (as you can see on my daily log!).  Note: I plan to do MILA again today, but as I'm not going to be able to do any workout this weekend and I'm going to a wedding I am going to push it really hard.  I'm going to do 21/15/9 instead of 15/10/5.  I'll probably be sore, but I have 2-3 days of rest before I can do another serious workout.

Quest 3: 4 of 7 days completed

Overall I am very pleased with this progress and I should be able to complete my 1st or 2nd week of my 2nd Wendler cycle by the end of the challenge.  I don't know if I'll increase 5lbs for every lift, but I'm going to try as fracking hard as possible!

• Like 1