Thrillho - Thunderfist And Slowfoot

Over the last couple years my goals and challenges and whatnot have bounced around like crazy, focusing on speed and strength and flexibility and weight and diet and balance and all sorts of things (generally whatever’s pissing me off that week). I set lofty goals that I stick with for, like... a week? Sometimes two or three weeks.  Four, tops.  I might stick with one or two of the easier challenges for the entire six weeks, but I somehow declare that a victory while leaving the other ones behind.

I think that, at the moment, a lot of those issues are now considered ‘good enough’.  I hit fast.  I hit hard.  I’m pretty flexible.  I like where my weight is going.  I am mostly happy with my food intake.  My balance isn’t perfect (it only really falls apart with the huge lunging straight rights and the switch-foot head kicks), but for the moment it’s good enough.

In fact, all of that is ‘good enough’ right now. This isn’t a concession to failure... this is me acknowledging that, for the first time in at least a decade I’m not actively hating how I look, how I feel or how I move.  I am reinforcing all of the successes that have gotten me here.  I am taking a quick moment to pat myself on the back and tell myself that I did good.  Not great... but good enough.

D.jpg

There are a couple things that ARE NOT good enough, however, and that’s going to be the focus right now:  core power, upper body strength, and endurance.

Whenever anything happens at MMA involving pure core power (situps, full-guard stands, thai knee drills), I gas out before almost everyone. A great example: I pretty much quit jiu-jitsu entirely because I lacked enough core muscle to actually do ANYTHING.

Whenever anything happens at MMA involving pure upper body strength (resistance calisthenics, clinch drills, cage flips), I not only gas out first, I’m sometimes not even capable of performing the activities. A great example: I can’t to a pull-up. No, not one.

And not just MMA but many things in general that involve endurance (jogging anywhere faster than a brisk shuffle, bagwork elimination drills, 17 flights of steel stairs to the top of the Canfor digester building), I feel like I’m dying by the end of it, if I even make it to the end. A great example:  Doing laps at the gym, I can do 1min 30sec laps easily, but 1min 20sec laps nearly make me barf. Just that slight increase in speed causes me to gas out after three laps, top (I can do between twelve and twenty of the slower ones).

So rather than challenges that focus on specific ACTIVITIES, these challenges will focus on specific PROBLEMS... those parts of me that aren’t good enough. Yet.

Challenge #1 - Rotten To The Core

Abs and obliques. I need to do some abdominal exercises every single day. Situps, jackknives, crunches... and not just 'banging out ten' when I remember.  I need escalating resistance, 'train to fail' style.  For whatever reason, I show the best gains and improvements when I do that. Planks are also a good one... and I hate planks, so that's probably what I should use the most.  

Challenge #2 - Push, Pull, Drag

Upper body time. For the Mudd Sweat and Tears I've changed up my whole workout regimen to upper body stuff, specifically escalating pull-downs. This works biceps, triceps, shoulders and back (and boy howdy hell, am I feeling it). Throwing into this mix will be wall stands, which was the FOCUS of my last challenge and I only did it two or three times. Now that it's warm we (me and the family) go to the park a lot more, and I want to be able to do a pullup on those various structures by the end of the summer. Once I can do one, just ONE real one, I know I'm going to want to do them as often as possible. And get up to two. And three. And four...

Challenge #3 - You Can’t, You Won’t, and You Don’t Stop

Endurance. Let's face it... I'm a big guy.  6'4", big shoulders, big hips, 250 pounds ± 10 at any given time. Tons of research into this, and discussions with many professionals I know (boxers, MMA fighters and coached) all tell me the same thing, which is the thing I really, really don't want to hear: the best way to build endurance is intermittent exertion.  HIIT.  Tabata. Tempo runs. Sprint chains. Power bursts, short rests.  I hate that stuff... but there's not really any way around it.  I'm doing sprint chains at the gym (well, slightly faster jogging chains right now... I still can't sprint a WHOLE lap), but I need to do more of that outside of the gym now that it's hot outside, so there will be some running in the evenings (non-MMA nights). Also, I can combine this with my other two challenges with tabata, and combining bear crawls, plank-to-push-up and broncos. I will start doing these in the mornings on NON-workout days, 15 to 20 minutes. 

Important Timing Reminder:

Mudd, Sweat and Tears is Saturday, June 13th.  For the first week of this challenge, I will actually be somewhat taking it EASY on these challenges, so I don't blow myself out before, well, I completely blow myself out. AFTER June 13th, I really want to go hard on these, and would really appreciate some help sticking to things.

This is a no-frills challenge.  I didn't go overboard on animated gifs, because I can't think of any way they'd really help this one out.  Rather than get all excited with a carefully-crafted, entertaining and hilarious original post, I'm just putting up a bunch of words and some straightforward language. 
  • Like 5

It's hard, using fight methods to get in fighter shape. But the deeper reason is that it seeps into your mind, this training, and molds you from the inside out.

This is all very good. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Fun discovery: A very easy to navigate 5k jogging route, with uphills and downhills.  Also, I can (just barely) grind out the whole thing without stopping.  This will also be a good training tool for me.

5kmroute_zpssvkzk1mb.jpg

And if/when I ever feel like a COMPLETE masochist, I can throw in The Hill... at the bottom left where 15th curves, that is a 3km hill with something like 200m vertical rise. At any given time on any given day, in winter, there's people running up and down it for just that reason. I've seen entire hockey teams, in their jerseys, running up and down it.  Good times.

• Like 1

Argh.  Feeling better on the pull-downs, form-wise, but MAN that's rough on the triceps and parts of my back.  Unexpected bonus / side effect: I think the soreness is autocorrecting my posture at work.  Every time I slouch I get a twinge, and I straighten up.  Yay? 

Also a great night at MMA.  It was less calisthenics and drills, and more partner work and form work and sparring, so much more sparring.  All of the high-endurance stuff just makes me look terrible, because I can't keep up, but when it's actual technique I'm apparently quite good, to the point where the coach was saying me and the other big guy might want to consider entering some tournaments with the dojo, because "those heavy weight classes are pretty empty, and I think both of you can do pretty good".  The 155-185lb weight classes are FULL, and full of extremely skilled people.  240lb+ is apparently pretty sparse.

I have a long way to go before my BODY is capable of that, but he's confident next year I can come back from some of the Western Provincials with SOME kind of medal.  Earlier this year 7 people went to the Tiger Balms and everyone came home with medals, and last week three people went to some jiu-jitsu thing in Alberta and came home with two bronzes and two silvers between them. Our class is somewhat famous for having a very (possibly suspiciously) high number of medal-winning students, and I want to be a part of that.

(Also, in chat just now, he called me a 'die-hard lifetime martial artist'.  Clearly he's suffering from some sort of delusional dementia.)

Well, that's the purpose behind your training, then, isn't it? It's not just about what you can get from your body. It's about pursuing the athletic endeavor of your choice. That's what'll push you through the MMA-specific training.

I sincerely hope you will not settle for being the kind of guy who earns his medals for being the only one to show up in his weight-class. :D

Looks like three weight classes for my event, actually... the Heavyweight+ has been streamlined.

N-114 (m) 18 + SuperHeavyweight (200.2 + lbs)
AS-3  (m) 18 + White/Yellow Belt (173.8 + lb.)
WKC-10(m) 18 + White – Green Belt (200.2 + lb.)

I will DEFINITELY be at the upper end of the sizes for ALL of these categories, but that means I'll be fighting people who are a lot lighter and faster than me, but still hit with the power of a solid 200 pounder.  Argh.

Three days in a row, three (very small) improvements in my reps for pulldowns. The last three sets (increasing by 7.5 lbs every time) have gone from 10-7-5 to 10-10-7 to 10-10-8.  May shuffle up my 'starting' weight so I have enough time to do a final set that's another 7.5 lbs heavier, probably only get 3 or 4 of them. 

The biggest problem to all of this has been my workout days coincide with MMA days, so my arms are thoroughly well-worked.  If we're doing punching drills at MMA, I can't even get through the first round without needing to pause and rub some feeling back into my arms and shoulders. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to actually recover some energy to over-trained muscles, or am I just boned and resigned to looking like I'm slacking?

Maybe something to do with peri- and post-workout nutrition. Dunno what your schedule looks like, but I've found for myself that eating most of my carbs post workout has been beneficial in terms of helping me move from one thing to the next.

Wow.

That is awesome that you are able to say you are happy with yourself. :)

Congrats, man. That is waaaaaay more awesome than you make it sound. You have come so far in the past several years and now you have other things to focus on. WOOT!

:D

This is amazing.

Also subbed.

Duh.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Have discussed recovery and nutrition with a friend of mine (who does this sort of thing perfessionally) and, yeah, I am apparently very  much under-carbing... my attempts at losing some weight are fighting my attempts to build muscle.  And here I thought I was being all smart. Looks like lots more oatmeal in my future!

• Like 2

Good luck on all of this! I know you'll make it.

The great thing about your first and second goals is that they will contribute to each other. I've found that my pull up has improved drastically now that my core is stronger; I don't know if it's because with an engaged core, the back muscles have something to pull against or it helps better control my center of gravity or what. Also, you can help train your core when you do your upper body work: if it's possible, like with shoulder presses or rows, do them standing instead of seated and you'll have to push against your core to do the movements. 

Also, I managed 10-10-9-5 on the pulldown machine this morning, so I managed to add an extra rep at 167.5lbs, and an entire extra set at 175 (which nearly killed me... there's a lot of weak muscles in my back that I ONLY discover above 160). 

Fresh blueberries around here would cost more than the vanilla, yogurt, oatmeal and stove.  Sadly :( Today I just went for a small scoop of Nutella (before the kids eat it all).

This is a huge sad

:____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________(

You can do the same with figs though. Banana also though I love blueberries or figs with the almond butter better. But banana is always a good fall back.

I love the no frills challenge :) Also I second Cheechoe...that everything is good wnough and I dont hate how I look or perform right now...is nothing short of absolutely fucking amazing progress and gives me the happy.

• Like 1

Ahhh, fudge.  On Sunday night, my wife will be heading out of town for about two weeks... which may seriously hamper my ability to go to the gym in the mornings. 

On the plus side, managed 95% and 94% on my first two assignments for Production and Operations Management.  Woo!

• Like 1