And as for mitigating the cheats, the key for me was making sure that I had something on my stomach. So instead of feeling starved and famished and such, I felt full. But not too full. ;)

I need to do this to help prevent me from cheating too.  Maybe eating something before going to a big dinner.  Excellent tip.

In general, things are good and happy. It's always a matter of time before bad comes again... but, by that same logic, it's always a matter of time before good comes again too.

Filled myself up with good food before I went, which made eating like a real dickhead... well, difficult. And even though I ended up feeling really full, I didn't feel bad at all. And instead of thinking about the food, I found I had an easy time just connecting with people and enjoying myself.

A part of me is tempted to try to replace my current routine with it, but honestly, that's just the lure of the new thing. I've already got a minimalist routine in place for general strength and conditioning, and the routine I'm doing now meets my needs for making me really strong.

Kind of struggling with the writing a bit. I'm feeling the urge to try to jam a new bunch of concepts in, and the thing is dragging during an action scene, something that I don't really want to admit is happening. Why can't I be like other writers and just obsess over, like, one thing, instead of this creative ADD. Ugh.

Oh well. Good day was good.

So many good things in this post. You are clearly at a better place in your life. You are planning ahead and doing things the way you want to. Yay Kishi!

Don't worry about writing ADD. Every professional writer I know has a different process. Keep working on your projects and making them better. No one will ever care how you did the writing. They just care about the final product. If it makes you happy to have 10 stories going at once to let you work on different things, do that.

I need to do this to help prevent me from cheating too.  Maybe eating something before going to a big dinner.  Excellent tip.

Hope it helps. :)

So many good things in this post. You are clearly at a better place in your life. You are planning ahead and doing things the way you want to. Yay Kishi!

Don't worry about writing ADD. Every professional writer I know has a different process. Keep working on your projects and making them better. No one will ever care how you did the writing. They just care about the final product. If it makes you happy to have 10 stories going at once to let you work on different things, do that.

Yeah. Yeah, I'm in a better place than I've been in a while. Though, gotta admit, it does feel kind of strange. Hard to believe that the better place has me playing the Weird Old Guy to a bunch of college grads in student housing. Wouldn't have seen it coming.

I don't mind having a bunch of projects to work on, but I'm more concerned that I won't get anything done if I follow after one or the other. Maybe I should tweak the challenge to reflect that a little bit... hm...

Meditation: 1/1

Cleaning: 1/1

Write: 1/1

Read: 1/1

This only looks bad because I haven't done them yet and the night is not yet over. Accomplished.

Today was a long one. We got bombed at work - lots and lots of people, which is unusual for a Monday. Couple that with a bunch of co-workers calling out and it was kind of disastrous. I mean, we made it through, but man. It was not fun today.

Anyway, since I didn't get to train until late, I decided to forego power work for my neighbors downstairs. So we got:

Skaters: 5x5x5s

Banded OAP: 3x5,3,1

Chin Ups: 3x5,3,1

One Leg Handstands: 5 minutes.

Janda Sit Ups: 4x3 (12! 12 POINTS FOR GRYFFINDOR)

Notes:

• So, part of the reason that I was tempted to move toward the circuit work was because the skaters have been putting a lot of pressure on my knees. Playing with a more pistol-ized movement took a lot of that pressure off. But, by adjusting myself a little and turning it into more of a hinge, I was able to make the move easier on my knees. It ended up firing in my hamstrings and such like whoa.
  • The OAP and the Chin Ups. Hm. I don't know what to make of those. I mean, I expected that the difficulty would spike with the chin ups. They would. Pulling movements are considered tough no matter who you ask. But these push ups are moving a lot slower than I thought they would. A lot of effort for a relatively tiny amount of gain. I'm thinking I might decide to put a band on the Chin Ups instead and go back to something more traditional as far as progression with the push ups.
  • Then again, maybe not. By the time you get to OAP, I've heard it's not unusual to fight and scramble for every rep. I guess it comes down to how much I want to be doing that already. Need to think on this.
  • HAHAHA, those Janda Sit Ups left my abs feeling like they'd been chewed up and spit out. Good pain. Goooood pain.

And, yeah, that's kind of where I stand right now. No work for the next couple of days... what ever shall I do...

• Like 3

Yeah. Yeah, I'm in a better place than I've been in a while. Though, gotta admit, it does feel kind of strange. Hard to believe that the better place has me playing the Weird Old Guy to a bunch of college grads in student housing. Wouldn't have seen it coming.

LOVE that you are the Weird Old Guy. is THAT weird? from one weird old person to another, well done, Old Guy, well done.

Heh. My (not-so) secret vice is DotA 2. While playing that, I get to be the Weird Old Guy for a bunch of teenagers from Iowa (and one from Texas) that we acquired into a loose guild. They're good kids, but man it's weird to be the old guy. :D

Swings and get ups and Janda sit ups, that's what.

I have to google so many of your workout components! It's fun.

I loved your writing excerpt and can't wait for more.

I don't mind having a bunch of projects to work on, but I'm more concerned that I won't get anything done if I follow after one or the other.

This is a huge recurring problem for me, at work & home. At any one time, I have about 20 projects going. At work, I refocus my attention and try to work on one until major progress is done. If I didn't, I'd never finish anything, especially since the nature of my work is to be constantly distracted from what I'm working on.

At home, eh. None of them are ever super important to finish. Some things I start because I want to learn a skill. Once I learn how tot do it, I lose the excitement in finishing the project. Example: Twined rag rug that I built a loom for and made it halfway through the rug in 3 days. In November. And haven't touched it since. I should finish that...

Also, how do you do a handstand one legged?

Nm. I'll google that too. :)

Alina flowed among them like fluid steel. The wood was alive in her hand, and it spun so hard that I thought I could see it bending from the force. It was a piece of deadly geometry, drawing lines and circles with the flick of a wrist, and wherever she drew, cracks and snaps echoed. Things recoiled away from her.

And if you're good enough professionally, you can make it look graceful, elegant, lazy. She was that good.

As for me? I saw one of them trying to get back up. So I swung back and kicked it in the face as hard as I could.

Yep. Real professional, me.

Yes.  Thank you for this.   I can't tell you how much it made me smile!   Years ago I was a reader.    Then I started MUSHing (one can argue that you both read /and/ write with that hobby) and haven't picked up a book since.   [Except for that Dragon Age novel I read while impatiently waiting for Inquisition to come out.]    I really really liked that bit there.    There was a series I read back in the day, that this reminds me of.  (In the good, draws you in and gets you thinking and feeling part of it way, not the, like, stole something way.)    But seriously, when I had found this series, I had grabbed the book, read the opening few lines and was sold on it.  It was that strong of an opening.   And this excerpt reminds me of JUST that series.

For the record?  I read all but the last book of that series.   I never finished it because I was so pissed it was ending, I decided to NOT let it end in my world.   (And people wonder why I say "Don't give me sad anime recommendations.")

Love it Kishi!  Love it!

LOVE that you are the Weird Old Guy. is THAT weird? from one weird old person to another, well done, Old Guy, well done.

Hahaha, I had a Weird Old Guy my second year out on my own. It's not so strange. I just never thought it'd be me.

Heh. My (not-so) secret vice is DotA 2. While playing that, I get to be the Weird Old Guy for a bunch of teenagers from Iowa (and one from Texas) that we acquired into a loose guild. They're good kids, but man it's weird to be the old guy. :D

Yeah, it's pretty strange. No fooling, man. You excited about Heroes of the Storm coming out?

I have to google so many of your workout components! It's fun.

I loved your writing excerpt and can't wait for more.

This is a huge recurring problem for me, at work & home. At any one time, I have about 20 projects going. At work, I refocus my attention and try to work on one until major progress is done. If I didn't, I'd never finish anything, especially since the nature of my work is to be constantly distracted from what I'm working on.

At home, eh. None of them are ever super important to finish. Some things I start because I want to learn a skill. Once I learn how tot do it, I lose the excitement in finishing the project. Example: Twined rag rug that I built a loom for and made it halfway through the rug in 3 days. In November. And haven't touched it since. I should finish that...

Also, how do you do a handstand one legged?

Nm. I'll google that too. :)

I'm glad! I hope you have fun. I don't mean to be terribly esoteric or anything like that. ^_^;

Also! Glad to hear that you enjoyed the writing sample. That's what butt-in-chair time is for: get through the bad so you can find something good.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I bet we could work around our stuff, though: maybe if I set a specific guideline for each project, so that I can count a day's progress as progress, you know what I mean?

I'll explain down below.

Yes.  Thank you for this.   I can't tell you how much it made me smile!   Years ago I was a reader.    Then I started MUSHing (one can argue that you both read /and/ write with that hobby) and haven't picked up a book since.   [Except for that Dragon Age novel I read while impatiently waiting for Inquisition to come out.]    I really really liked that bit there.    There was a series I read back in the day, that this reminds me of.  (In the good, draws you in and gets you thinking and feeling part of it way, not the, like, stole something way.)    But seriously, when I had found this series, I had grabbed the book, read the opening few lines and was sold on it.  It was that strong of an opening.   And this excerpt reminds me of JUST that series.

For the record?  I read all but the last book of that series.   I never finished it because I was so pissed it was ending, I decided to NOT let it end in my world.   (And people wonder why I say "Don't give me sad anime recommendations.")

Love it Kishi!  Love it!

Hahaha, I'm glad you liked it! I'm not worried so much anymore about whether or not I've lifted a thing from something else. It just doesn't matter as much to me anymore. Everything is tropes, and everything borrows from everything. The more I understand that, the less worried I am, and the freer I feel to write.

Still, it always makes me happy when someone enjoys a thing I wrote. So, thank you. :)

Which series was it, if you don't mind me asking?

One leg handstand?

Aight, so.

One leg handstand is my way of attempting to describe a handstand where I'm kicked up against the wall and then leaning out from it a bit. So I have one leg pressing into the wall, the other standing as straight as I can manage.

It struck me as being the smallest possible progression, and thus the easiest one for me to make happen. You could probably google someone doing this; I doubt I'm the first to think of this...

Hahaha, I had a Weird Old Guy my second year out on my own. It's not so strange. I just never thought it'd be me.

Yeah, it's pretty strange. No fooling, man. You excited about Heroes of the Storm coming out?

I'm glad! I hope you have fun. I don't mean to be terribly esoteric or anything like that. ^_^;

Also! Glad to hear that you enjoyed the writing sample. That's what butt-in-chair time is for: get through the bad so you can find something good.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. I bet we could work around our stuff, though: maybe if I set a specific guideline for each project, so that I can count a day's progress as progress, you know what I mean?

I'll explain down below.

Hahaha, I'm glad you liked it! I'm not worried so much anymore about whether or not I've lifted a thing from something else. It just doesn't matter as much to me anymore. Everything is tropes, and everything borrows from everything. The more I understand that, the less worried I am, and the freer I feel to write.

Still, it always makes me happy when someone enjoys a thing I wrote. So, thank you. :)

Which series was it, if you don't mind me asking?

Aight, so.

One leg handstand is my way of attempting to describe a handstand where I'm kicked up against the wall and then leaning out from it a bit. So I have one leg pressing into the wall, the other standing as straight as I can manage.

It struck me as being the smallest possible progression, and thus the easiest one for me to make happen. You could probably google someone doing this; I doubt I'm the first to think of this...

Ohhh! I've done that!

Just to warn you, when I was doing it I got really good at ONE leg. Whenever I tried to leave the other leg on, I would loose my balance because I was used to holding my body in a certain way.

So if you want to avoid my mistake, try to alternate which leg you put on the wall. It may save you from weird weight shifty stuff later on..

And, yeah, that's kind of where I stand right now. No work for the next couple of days... what ever shall I do...

Haha!! Every time I read  "what ever shall I do", I imagine someone saying it in a dramatic high pitched tone. So I'm hearing you saying it like that now xD

Also. Wow. PERFECT day.

I'm so used to reading your accounts of daily crazy workouts that I just read through all "meh, easy stuff". AS IF THIS STUFF ISN'T PURE BADASS!!

You're too far ahead, it all seems so abstract from down here!

tumblr_md8a00jqoX1qbh26io4_500.gif

Ohhh! I've done that!

Just to warn you, when I was doing it I got really good at ONE leg. Whenever I tried to leave the other leg on, I would loose my balance because I was used to holding my body in a certain way.

So if you want to avoid my mistake, try to alternate which leg you put on the wall. It may save you from weird weight shifty stuff later on..

Good! Glad you're on the same page.

That's actually how I do it: 15 seconds with one leg out, then switch and hold for another 15 seconds. So far, it seems to be about as difficult either way. :)

Sword Dancer Series by Jennifer Roberson.  (Oooold.  And I was young when I read it.  Well, young(er) so don't base my love for the series on any sort of mature readers palate. LOL.)

I created SOOOO many characters based off of Del when I was first getting into rpgs. :tongue:

OOH! OOH! I've read that author! I read the first book in her Karavans series and was friggin' disappoint to have to return it to the library.

Haha!! Every time I read  "what ever shall I do", I imagine someone saying it in a dramatic high pitched tone. So I'm hearing you saying it like that now xD

Also. Wow. PERFECT day.

I'm so used to reading your accounts of daily crazy workouts that I just read through all "meh, easy stuff". AS IF THIS STUFF ISN'T PURE BADASS!!

You're too far ahead, it all seems so abstract from down here!

tumblr_md8a00jqoX1qbh26io4_500.gif

That is exactly the right tone of voice to read "Whatever shall I do" in.

Thanks! It's no fun being up here alone. Catch up!

Meditation: 2/2

Cleaning: 1/2

Write: 2/2

Read: 2/2

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Remember when we said that things were finally going right?

Yeah. Cue adversity.

I ended up dropping my laptop last night. She didn't like that very much, and now a bunch of really, really essential files are corrupted. System Repair was Not Very Effective, and after attempting to run ChkDsk, it basically took a long look at my files before flipping the table and walking away.

smgdh, monks.

So, got a bit of a bill coming up in my future. Either to repair the old one or, depending on how much that costs, replacing it with a new one. Which isn't exactly something my budget is prepared for, but I've got some savings I could throw at this. Maybe.

So, Nerds, if anyone knows anything about fixing computers, I would really, really appreciate some advice. :)

Luckily, I have a spare laptop lying around, so I can at least continue to be here with you guys. But it's just a backup. It doesn't have access to my old files or nothing. Makes the writing a bit of a chore.

Oh well. We'll carry on. Somehow.

So a dropped laptop problem is probably a damaged hard drive problem.  The good news is that new hard drives are relatively cheap.  The bad news is that using a damaged hard drive sometimes spreads the damage and makes it harder to recover files off it, so recovering files off your old drive might be a real chore.  Keep that laptop shut off till you're ready to deal with it, and your fingers crossed.  (I think that's rare, to spread the damage across the drive, but I have had it happen, and if your ChkDisk failed really badly, it's a risk.  This might be a one-shot kind of thing.)

I'm gonna suggest the cheapest fix I know of - having a spare laptop helps.  It will involve a slight outlay of cash, all on stuff that'll be a good investment for you going forward, and it will also require trusting me a little bit on a step that'll be foreign to a Windows user.  (I assume from your description that you run Windows?)  This will get you as far as getting your files recovered so you can keep working, and see what the problem is and how to fix it from there.  (I suspect fixing it in the long-term will mean replacing the hard drive, which is doable on the cheap, but one thing at a time, right?) :)

You will need:

• an empty USB stick of at least 4GB (this should cost under $5 if you don't have one that you can wipe)
  • an external hard drive of approximately the size of your internal hard drive (seems to be about $60)

The external drive is going to become your permanent backup drive.  We're going to try to recover your stuff onto it, and then you can use it for preventative backups in the future - it will save you huge amounts of time and worry and probably money, to just have a fresh backup of all your files every week or two.  You can 1TB for about $60 on Amazon, which is actually pretty good, and probably all you'll need - most laptop drives aren't bigger than that.  (If you have the cash, I'd spring for the bigger one so you're not crunched for space in the future, but don't sweat it, that's quite a good amount of space.  I wouldn't go smaller, it won't save you much cash at all and will be a headache.)

You're going to use the USB stick to make a tool to help you recover that data - a bootable USB stick that doesn't need your laptop's Windows installation to run your laptop.  And this is the bit you need to trust me on, because we're moving slightly outside the Windows world. :)  This is totally my favorite use of Linux, you can do crazy things like boot from a USB stick, so you can boot up a laptop with a badly corrupted operating system and recover things.  A great tool to have lying around for problems like this.  Here's what you do: 

• On your working laptop, go here and download, well, any of those should work, but let's say the 14.04 32-bit version, so you're not wondering what on earth you need.  (They'll ask for a tip, but just skip it - it's free.)
  • Follow the instructions here to create the bootable USB stick.

I'm gonna suggest, once you've done that, that you try it on your working laptop just so you're not seeing it for the first time when you go to make your data backup.  What you do is shut your laptop off, stick the USB drive in, and... then all computers are annoyingly different.  Usually there's a key you need to press in the boot-up screen like F12 to stop it automatically trying to boot up Windows, and choose USB boot from the menu.  When it boots, it's going to ask you if you want to try or install Linux - always answer "try", we're not using it as an installer.  The two things you'll need to figure out how to do are find the file manager and use the file manager to get to your laptop hard drive (or an external hard drive - it treats them the same).  It'd also be useful to see what your Windows file structure looks like from this sort of a birds' eye view, so you can find your files quickly when we go to make the backup.  I'd just spend a half an hour playing with it, so when we do the real thing it's not all crazy and strange.

The real thing goes like this: plug the external drive and the USB stick into your sick laptop, and boot it up from the USB stick.  Open up your laptop drive in one file manager window, and your external drive in another; press copy on your whole user directory, and paste the whole thing into the external drive.  Then just give it time to copy over.

The only thing that can go wrong here is that the laptop drive is too physically damaged to read.  If that's true, then it's a serious recovery problem.  Otherwise, you'll get your data, with maybe a small bit of corruption.

After that, we're probably just talking replacing the internal hard drive.  That bit is easy - a screwdriver and $45-80 on a new drive.  The hard bit will be getting Windows reinstalled on it, because they don't make that easy.

• Like 4

PHYSICAL ACTIONABLE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM

Thank you. Thank you so much. This makes the problem so much smaller. Instead of having to save and save and save and worry, I can take steps and fix things.

giphy.gif

To add to Sara's advice (which you should follow), if you can't get your computer to work sufficiently, you may still be able to access the data on your hard drive.

To do this, you'll need a SATA to USB adaptor http://www.amazon.com/USB-SATA-5-25-Cable-Adapter/dp/B000YJBL78

And your spare lapti. Physically remove the hard drive from your laptop, then connect it via the cable to your spare. If the gods are smiling on you, it will show up as an external drive and you can just copy the files off it.

Good luck!

• Like 2

To add to Sara's advice (which you should follow), if you can't get your computer to work sufficiently, you may still be able to access the data on your hard drive.

Yes, to all of that - good advice.  If there's something wrong with the laptop in addition to the drive problem, you've still got a shot at that data.  Mostly likely, it's just the drive - they're really vulnerable to dropping, especially if the computer's running when they fall - but this is the next step, if you can't boot from the USB stick.

The fact that it was running after you dropped it and then BSoD'd later is a good sign about the rest of the computer working, so you'll very likely be able to get this computer back up and running with a new drive, but it's possibly a bad sign about the damage to the hard drive.  Could be totally fine for recovery purposes, just filesystem issues, or it could be a race against the drive physically damaging itself as it runs.  When you copy, you might want to start with your most critical folders, in case you only get a certain amount of time with a working drive.  (Again, it's not common to have that happen, but I did it once, so I'm cautious about that possibility.) :)  I don't think there's much more a professional could do for you than what you can do with this stuff, barring maybe seriously pricey forensic recovery, so there's no reason not to go ahead.  Just don't boot that damaged drive again until you're ready to make your backup - the less it runs, the less risk to what's on it.

If you get an external drive at Amazon and need the USB stick, this is about the cheapest they've got, and it's nice and durable and attachable-to-keychains - it'll last about as long as those can last.  My other suggestion, when you go to make that bootable USB stick, if you're offered a choice on the size of something called a "persistence file", make it as big as you can.  (Never tried the Windows app for that, so I don't know if it does.) 

The reason for that is my second favorite use for those bootable USB sticks, and one that you might want to use to control your expenses more carefully: if you can't replace your old drive right away, you can use that stick to run a basically fully functional computer, despite a dead hard drive.  It's totally voodoo magic.  It'd be a Linux desktop instead of a Windows desktop, but once you make that USB stick and it boots successfully, you will have a fully functional computer with a full office suite and Firefox and media players and whatever else you want, if you need it.  (With a couple of accommodations to the fact that you're using a USB stick in place of a hard drive - voodoo magic, honestly - and bar maybe serious gaming.  Gaming is gray area for Linux, and particularly with those space limitations.)  If you want to make sure the rest of the computer's okay before buying a new hard drive for it, this would be the way I'd do it - run Linux off the USB stick for a week, as if you were using it normally, and see if it seems stable and everything works.  Slight learning curve to get used to how it looks and what all the apps are called, but it could be worth it if you want to make sure the money you spend is fixing the right problem.  Or even if you just want to wait and not dip too hard into savings all at once.  I've run off a USB stick for really long periods of time, once just because I didn't want to replace a dead hard drive right away.

• Like 2

I can't be of any help, but, aaaaw, Kishi! :S

5397e75f1483a.gif

All I need is Hug. :D

Meditation: 3/3

Cleaning: 3/3

Write: 3/3

Read: 3/3

All right, posting update now because I'm going to have to get off to sleep. Will be updating numbers as I complete tasks.

Feeling a lot better after Sara and BFD talked me down. As adversities go, this is actually a relatively small one. It's annoying, and it will take time, but this can be solved.

Decided to train hard today.

Hill Sprints: 5x20 yards

Skaters: 5x5x6s (YUS)

Diamond Pike: 5x5

Banded GHR: 5x5

Handstand Practice: 5 minutes

Hardstyle Sit Up Variant: 4x3

Notes:

• EFF YEAH Skaters. Good. Now I can move on to box pistols. I am stupid-excite about this, and I don't know why.
  • Those Pike Diamonds. :D I did just like I said I would - dropped the isometric and shot for full depth. Nailed it. Felt it in my shoulders as I was supposed to. This was a win.
  • So, those sit ups were a surprise. I've been feeling some bad pressure in my back for a while, and I don't quite know why. I assume there must have been something in my form that messed it up. So instead of doing a Janda, I decided to make the one change that distinguishes a Janda from Hardstyle the most - taking my feet and putting them flat on the ground. This is apparently the way to take the hips out of the movement and make it harder on the core. Not only was I able to find a sweet spot where I could still complete reps, but my back didn't hurt at all.
  • Tried to hit a third handstand. Got to the point that my body wasn't accepting the commands I tried to feed it. Um. Guess it's back to two. Or three shorter stands.
  • I've realized something about this routine. It's predicated on the idea that you're going to make the smallest possible advance every single time. The reason my legs and pikes and GHRs are doing so much better than push up and chin up is because I'm making tiny, tiny, tiny incremental changes. Going straight for the OAP, even if it is logical, was just too big a change when combined with isometrics and chin ups. I'm going to go ahead and go back to diamonds on that one.
  • Will I do bands on chin ups? I don't know. If I assume that my weak point is the top of the rep, the band can't help me except to get me there sooner. I don't know if compromising strength throughout the full ROM is worth it. But that might not matter anyway if I'm going to go back to a 'lighter' push up variant. And that might all be moot anyway because of a third thing that I'm thinking about...

Ate good food. Then swings and get ups. Back's been complaining a bit here too, but again, it's not so bad without the pain from sit ups. Good. Very good.

Aaaand... yeah.

So, I have to admit, that idea of going all circuit-style on this is still nagging at me. It took me an hour and a half to get through this, and it's those rest periods that are doing it. I know it is. And I know, given my professional obligations, that throwing an hour and a half at this just isn't going to be sustainable. My thoughts:

• Pro: saves time.
  • Pro: conditioning challenge.
  • Pro: active rest component - going from one move to the other permits rest for one set of parts while the other is working.
  • Pro: fun.
  • Con: extra conditioning may be counter-productive to fat loss goals. Fix: reduced time will help to control for the release of cortisol in the body, which supposedly begins about 45 minutes into a strength session. Less cortisol means less fat storage. Also, saved time means a bigger window for proper supplementation/post-training nutrition to counter the release of cortisol.
  • Con: may compromise strength gains. Fix: maintain deload/testing periods every 4-6 weeks. (this honestly is me recalling and dealing with the systems I've done where it's nothing but calisthenic chaos with no methods to assess strength gains).
  • Con: may not work with present diet. No way to fix that but to assess and adjust as necessary.

Writing it out like that, it just kind of makes sense, don't you think? But then, writing it out is my way of staying accountable so I don't do something silly. I'll leave it to y'all to check me on this and make sure I'm not being foolish.

Anyway, it's been a long day and I've got stuff to do. Night, nerds!

• Like 3

I can't really add anything to Sara and BFD's advice--it's exactly what I would have given you had I gotten here first.

The only additional advice I will give is to sign up for a cloud storage account for your most critical files, and set it to auto-sync those folders once per day. Dropbox, Mozy, JustCloud--something. I know there are privacy/security/whatever issues surrounding cloud storage, but the fact is these companies pride themselves on their security and reliability. As long as you're not storing any financial or PII (like SSN or something) data in them, trust me when I say that neither the cloud storage admins nor any hacker (who might get access to your account in the case of a large security breach) cares about your writing. ^.^

This has taken so much of my stress away from losing years and years' worth of writing and artwork, because I know it's recoverable from my cloud drive even if my computer bursts into flames and burns my house down, taking my external backup drive with it.

If you want to PM me your e-mail address, I can send you an invite for JustCloud, because I use them and they have equipped me with many invites to send to people for basic free storage (I think it's 1GB, which is more than plenty for irreplaceable writing files).

The Ubuntu running trial thing should be pretty simple, but having spent some time immersed in Linux, I'm happy to offer any help there if you need it as well.

Good luck and godspeed.

• Like 3

Well, honestly, Kyellan, if they don't care about my writing, that's their loss. :P

Meditation: 4/4

Cleaning: 3/4

Write: 4/4

Read: 4/4

Well, this is gonna be a quick one. Swings and get ups and core work. Need to get those points updated.

Got home too late to clean and prioritized training. Maybe didn't need to do that. Wanted to, though.

Have a feeling I'm going to be making up on the cleaning goal for this challenge, since half my week is taken up with long shifts that eat up the afternoon and evening. I'll show you what I mean come Saturday or Sunday...

• Like 2

Uh oh....I worry for how your Saturdays and Sunday look...I hope work is not eating away your life :nightmare:.

Also; echoing sentiments on your laptop :(.  My condolences.  However you have several solutions that all very good and looks like helped lower the stress!  And you're still being super awesome Kishi :D.  Yay!