No registered users viewing this page.

Sorry about your laptop D:

Frodo-Hug-Samwise-Elijah-Wood-Sean-Astin

But hellllllloooo Mr productive! :D

You've been KILLING that part! WOOT! :)

Oh yeah, I'm just like

productivity.gif

But yeah, thank you, though.

Uh oh....I worry for how your Saturdays and Sunday look...I hope work is not eating away your life :nightmare:.

Also; echoing sentiments on your laptop :(.  My condolences.  However you have several solutions that all very good and looks like helped lower the stress!  And you're still being super awesome Kishi :D.  Yay!

Oh, it wants to. But in general it's okay. I tend to work about five to six days out of the week, typically with Tuesday being my day off. It really can vary, though, from one week to the next. This is the nature of work in the service sector - work tries to eat your life, and typically you make so little that sometimes you don't have a choice but to let it.

I'm so glad that we have so many tech-savvy nerds in the Monastery! This is very good. I am glad. I was afraid I'd be on my own for this, but I'm really, really glad that I'm not.

This reminds me of when Strongbad needed a new computer!

Strong_Bad___Payback_by_whoismarcus.gif

So I ordered this for you my friend:

tumblr_ni06a8wfME1tvlwxio1_1280.png

42 lbs and 5 minutes battery life!

It's what I always wanted.

200.gif

Meditation: 5/5

Cleaning: 3/5

Write: 5/5

Read: 5/5

Welp. Did the experiment today. After a long day at work, I sucked down some coffee and did the thing.

Squat Jumps: 6x3

Box Pistols: 5x5

Diamond Push Ups: 5x5

Half Pull Ups: 5x5

Handstand Practice: 5 minutes

Hardstyle Sit Ups: 4x3

Notes:

• Wow, this was fast. I ran the strength circuit one move after the other after the other without about 30 seconds to a minute's rest between each circuit. Total time spent? 14:10. Even allowing another fifteen minutes for core work, that still drives the total time down by a factor of holy crap.
  • Definitely isn't as hard as 100 KB swings in five minutes. :P

• Deloaded handstands to 2 sets of 20 seconds. Will bump it up to three sets of 20 seconds next week.

• Can't believe I forgot about halfway pull ups. That move is a sort of partial-rep pull up, from chin over bar to halfway down and back up again. These even have spots built in for isometrics - over the bar, and at the bottom of the rep.

• Oh, and speaking of core work, I've decided to make that my cooldown routine - hardstyle sit ups followed by full back bridge, sit and reach, and deep twisting to hit all the major chains. We'll see how that one plays out.

• So... is this the answer? Well, I dunno yet. It could be, maybe, but one: I still haven't thrown isometrics into the mix yet, and two: I don't know how the GHR's are going to play with this. I strongly suspect that they will slow things down significantly. But you never know, right?

Anyway, that was that. Pretty much the highlight of the day for me. I lead such a boring life. -_-

Waiting on the mileage reimbursements to come in. I don't think they'll be worth much, but I think I can use them to get started on putting things together for the voodoo Force Healing I'mma have to do on my laptop.

Meditation: 6/6

Cleaning: 6/6

Write: 5/6

Read: 5/6

Well, today was certainly a day.

Oh, it wasn't bad! It wasn't bad at all. I actually got to make up for the lost training session with sensei. We trained hard today. But what a day. I still feel kind of fried from it.

We're basically training in Sensei's garage these days. He lined the whole thing with tatami-style mats and then threw down some wrestling mats on top of that as well. It's very good - you can breakfall on them without much trouble. But the fact is, it's a garage, and it's summertime in North Carolina where the temperatures can climb up over 90 degrees. Like they did today. So I spent a couple hours fighting around in heavy judo-gi with no airflow or anything, capping it off with a light sparring session with Sensei. And man. Weather totally kills your conditioning. I think we fought for about twenty minutes straight, and by the end I was just done.

Not gonna lie, y'all, today was a rough one training-wise. I broke some falls badly - during one, I didn't let my body unfurl all the way, so my foot crushed into the ground, and I took a couple throws where I didn't breathe proper, so I got the wind knocked out of me. That sucked.

But man, that sparring session, though! Everything was fast and controlled! I beat on him! He beat on me! We clinched! We scrapped! My blocks actually worked! God, if we'd only had space-helmets and shin guards.

I may have walked out beaten and exhausted and with mat burns and some pulls in places, but I left laughing too. And also with a conviction that I need to take some time to do my Swings outdoors. Somewhere in the sun.

Anyway, I got up late enough that I didn't really get anything to eat, and my folks were in town looking to put an offer on a house. So we went out to eat, and I ate like an asshole - salmon and flash-fried spinach chips and then finishing off what the folks didn't eat along with a beer, a glass of wine, and some cheesecake. And then some ice cream after I got home because I wasn't done being an asshole to myself yet. In my defense, it was all incredibly good, and I like my family, so it really could have been worse.

I managed to get my cleaning caught back up - got the trash out of my bathroom and swept and bagged up some more books, and got another box collapsed. This is good. Every time I do that I feel like I'm at a save point, like I've just taken an irreversible step, and it feels good.

Also, listening to the full shuffle on my Pandora never fails to amaze me with the diversity of my tastes - Armin Van Buuren leads to Frank Sinatra leads to Killswitch Engage leads to MuteMath. Or Nightwish.

And... yeah. That was my day today. Also, the first reimbursement check arrived, so I can begin to move forward on Operation Kishi Fixes Stuff. We'll start those errands and such up on Tuesday.

'night, monks!

• Like 3

Wow, what an eventful week. With the exception of the laptop (sorry about your computer) it looks like you really kicked off this first week with a bang!

It's a heck of a start, that's for sure. Way more eventful than what I would have anticipated.

Meditation: 7/7

Cleaning: 6/7

Write: 5/7

Read: 7/7

Quiet day today. Did swings and get ups. Had to do some macrobatics when I was offered - and summarily ate - a doughnut and a cinnamon roll. Made it work for calories and protein (and even fiber, who'd have thought?), but it's way carb-heavy on a relatively light day.

Oh well. I suppose I'll have to make up for that tomorrow. And at least I managed to eat a pound of turkey and a bag of broccoli between the doughnut and the cinnamon roll. So, a healthy choice to balance the unhealthy.

Oh, and today I tried unflavored whey protein with Greek yogurt and olive oil. The results were surprisingly good - yogurt gets a lot thicker with the whey in it, but that's to be expected.

And... yep. That's that.

Need to see about getting my writing done earlier in the day. This whole doing it at the end of the day when I'm tired thing just isn't cutting it for me.

Also, finished The Diamond Conspiracy. It's probably the best of that particular series thus far, and has a hook that legitimately drew me in and made me want more. Next up is a recommendation from Mistr: Leah Cutter's Business for Breakfast. See how that one goes down.

Oh, and today I tried unflavored whey protein with Greek yogurt and olive oil. The results were surprisingly good - yogurt gets a lot thicker with the whey in it, but that's to be expected.

interesting. i don't know how i feel about this.

Also, listening to the full shuffle on my Pandora never fails to amaze me with the diversity of my tastes - Armin Van Buuren leads to Frank Sinatra leads to Killswitch Engage leads to MuteMath. Or Nightwish.

Hehe.   <3  this.   That's so awesome, and I'd totally dig your full shuffle!  

Your training session in the garage sounds amazing.   When I was doing the womens boxing gym, it was AC-less as well.   And when we all stretch at the end, we make sweat angels!     There's just something about working out without AC that ups your level of badass.    But yes.  Omg, yes.   Things that are normally a certain level of effort are suddenly, OMG I AM DYING level. :D

You had a great week Kishi!  I love seeing all your numbers and how organized you tackle things.

• Like 1

Meditation: 6/6

Cleaning: 6/6

Write: 5/6

Read: 5/6

Well, today was certainly a day.

Oh, it wasn't bad! It wasn't bad at all. I actually got to make up for the lost training session with sensei. We trained hard today. But what a day. I still feel kind of fried from it.

We're basically training in Sensei's garage these days. He lined the whole thing with tatami-style mats and then threw down some wrestling mats on top of that as well. It's very good - you can breakfall on them without much trouble. But the fact is, it's a garage, and it's summertime in North Carolina where the temperatures can climb up over 90 degrees. Like they did today. So I spent a couple hours fighting around in heavy judo-gi with no airflow or anything, capping it off with a light sparring session with Sensei. And man. Weather totally kills your conditioning. I think we fought for about twenty minutes straight, and by the end I was just done.

Not gonna lie, y'all, today was a rough one training-wise. I broke some falls badly - during one, I didn't let my body unfurl all the way, so my foot crushed into the ground, and I took a couple throws where I didn't breathe proper, so I got the wind knocked out of me. That sucked.

But man, that sparring session, though! Everything was fast and controlled! I beat on him! He beat on me! We clinched! We scrapped! My blocks actually worked! God, if we'd only had space-helmets and shin guards.

I may have walked out beaten and exhausted and with mat burns and some pulls in places, but I left laughing too. And also with a conviction that I need to take some time to do my Swings outdoors. Somewhere in the sun.

Anyway, I got up late enough that I didn't really get anything to eat, and my folks were in town looking to put an offer on a house. So we went out to eat, and I ate like an asshole - salmon and flash-fried spinach chips and then finishing off what the folks didn't eat along with a beer, a glass of wine, and some cheesecake. And then some ice cream after I got home because I wasn't done being an asshole to myself yet. In my defense, it was all incredibly good, and I like my family, so it really could have been worse.

I managed to get my cleaning caught back up - got the trash out of my bathroom and swept and bagged up some more books, and got another box collapsed. This is good. Every time I do that I feel like I'm at a save point, like I've just taken an irreversible step, and it feels good.

And... yeah. That was my day today. Also, the first reimbursement check arrived, so I can begin to move forward on Operation Kishi Fixes Stuff. We'll start those errands and such up on Tuesday.

'night, monks!

I somehow feel better knowing I wasn't the only one who ate like an asshole this weekend. :P

Looking good, Kishi, with the exception of the whole laptop debacle.

And yea, humidity and heat and training are freaking HARD.  In Japan all the dojos I trained at were poorly ventilated and the humidity was 1,000,000,000%.  Given I wear a heavy gi as well, those things were nasty by the end of class.  And I could barely breathe afterwards.

My only thought is "This is what happens when you just need calories."

• Like 1

Yay amazing week!

Your sparring session! So great. And the quick workout is awesome.

But hey, I gotta say, your asshole meal? Seems like a real divergence from your regular feeding, so I'd recommend: not sweating it.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

Welp. Did the experiment today. After a long day at work, I sucked down some coffee and did the thing.

Wow, this was fast. I ran the strength circuit one move after the other after the other without about 30 seconds to a minute's rest between each circuit. Total time spent? 14:10. Even allowing another fifteen minutes for core work, that still drives the total time down by a factor of holy crap.

Waiting on the mileage reimbursements to come in. I don't think they'll be worth much, but I think I can use them to get started on putting things together for the voodoo Force Healing I'mma have to do on my laptop.

I am totally sold on circuit training. Not only does rest between sets take too much time, I would get distracted and wander off. As a professional you have some insights on why other styles are better in some situations. It would take a LOT to get me past that time differential.

I'll be sending positive vibes to reinforce your Force Healing spell. I made the switch to Ubuntu on my laptop earlier this year. The learning curve was easy. As Sara said, the only downside of Linux is gaming.

Yay for training wins and getting caught up on cleaning!

I know those bad falls. That might be an area where you want to spend some extra practice time. You need your body to fall correctly when you are exhausted. Bad falls are where injuries happen.

Practicing at 90º is challenging but doable. Just don't try to go straight from no humidity to high humidity. I prefer to train with a heavy gi. No matter what happens I'm going to be sweating like mad. The judo gi soaks up more sweat before it gets nasty.

Great week-end overall, even with the cheat Saturday (you can't eat perfectly healthy ALL the time anyway, it's not psychologically healthy ^_^).

You cleaned, you meditated, and that training session sounds really great!! You kick ass!!!

It's not bad. The protein gives the yogurt that grainy kind of texture, but otherwise, it works just fine.

Hehe.   <3  this.   That's so awesome, and I'd totally dig your full shuffle!  

Your training session in the garage sounds amazing.   When I was doing the womens boxing gym, it was AC-less as well.   And when we all stretch at the end, we make sweat angels!     There's just something about working out without AC that ups your level of badass.    But yes.  Omg, yes.   Things that are normally a certain level of effort are suddenly, OMG I AM DYING level. :D

You had a great week Kishi!  I love seeing all your numbers and how organized you tackle things.

Oh, but there's more than that. :)

Ah, aha. You know the pain. But you're right. Temperature is no joke. Cold makes things easier to a certain extent, but heat just makes it miserable. Then again, there's something romantic about it - not in the sense of it being a place of love, but in the sense that it hearkens back to another, older kind of training, one without the modern frills like A/C.

Thank you! I'm glad you like what you see. :D

I somehow feel better knowing I wasn't the only one who ate like an asshole this weekend. :tongue:

Looking good, Kishi, with the exception of the whole laptop debacle.

And yea, humidity and heat and training are freaking HARD.  In Japan all the dojos I trained at were poorly ventilated and the humidity was 1,000,000,000%.  Given I wear a heavy gi as well, those things were nasty by the end of class.  And I could barely breathe afterwards.

My only thought is "This is what happens when you just need calories."

I DID IT FOR YOU, BRO.

Yeah, I miss the laptop pretty bad. But staying positive. There's a lot of potential for good in the middle of all this. I might even try to see about finding something more powerful for my laptop since the processor and the hard drive tend to be integrated. I dunno how feasible that is, but it could be fun to find out.

Nice! That's three of us now with that experience. We'll be ready when the apocalypse comes in the summer. :P Though, yeah, I stripped off the jacket and my shirt was just wringing wet.

Actually, not quite! I picked up the idea from an article I read. Some dude up in DC decided to sell his Greek yogurt with packaged olive oil, in a way similar to what's apparently available abroad. It was apparently a hit. I decided to give it a try, and it works great so far with full fat yogurt.

Yay amazing week!

Your sparring session! So great. And the quick workout is awesome.

But hey, I gotta say, your asshole meal? Seems like a real divergence from your regular feeding, so I'd recommend: not sweating it.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

Yeah, it was really just great all around from a goals standpoint.

And I figure if I don't wake up the morning after a cheat feeling bad, I probably did okay. I woke up feeling fine. So probably... is okay. :)

I am totally sold on circuit training. Not only does rest between sets take too much time, I would get distracted and wander off. As a professional you have some insights on why other styles are better in some situations. It would take a LOT to get me past that time differential.

I'll be sending positive vibes to reinforce your Force Healing spell. I made the switch to Ubuntu on my laptop earlier this year. The learning curve was easy. As Sara said, the only downside of Linux is gaming.

Yay for training wins and getting caught up on cleaning!

I know those bad falls. That might be an area where you want to spend some extra practice time. You need your body to fall correctly when you are exhausted. Bad falls are where injuries happen.

Practicing at 90º is challenging but doable. Just don't try to go straight from no humidity to high humidity. I prefer to train with a heavy gi. No matter what happens I'm going to be sweating like mad. The judo gi soaks up more sweat before it gets nasty.

Well, in theory, longer rest periods mean more opportunity for your anaerobic energy systems to recharge - the phospho-creatine system and ATP which you burn out in the first three seconds or so of a serious contraction need time to replenish. In theory, the more replenished you are, the more powerfully you can contract when the time is right.

Lots of martial arts strength and conditioning programs that I've seen try to train around this to develop work capacity, but it's like Kamb said in Monday's article - doesn't matter how big the percentage is that the studies claim, the results will always be a slight difference one way or the other.

Linux does look like it's cool once you get the hang of it. It kind of reminds me of watching those coding montages you see in science fiction films. I could be down for learning that sorcery.

Thank you! And you're right, this is something I need to work on some more. I'm not feeling anything negative from my foot today, and it was only a little sore yesterday. I suppose I was rather fortunate in that.

Well, it's a humid state, so for better or for worse, I'm going to be stuck with it. There's only so much I can do to mitigate it before I have to face it again.

Great week-end overall, even with the cheat Saturday (you can't eat perfectly healthy ALL the time anyway, it's not psychologically healthy ^_^).

You cleaned, you meditated, and that training session sounds really great!! You kick ass!!!

Aw, shucks. I try.

• Like 3

Meditation: 1/1

Cleaning: 0/1

Write: 0/1

Read: 1/1

Hm. Could have done better. I'm taking tomorrow to catch up on everything, given that it's a day off. Midday shift just takes too much time.

Got my training done.

Box Pistols: 5x5x1s

Diamond Pike Press: 5x5,4,3,1,1x1s

Banded GHRs: 5x5

One Legged Handstands: 3x20s

Hardstyle Sit Up Variant: 5x3

Notes:

• Wow. This one kicked my ass today. Dunno if it was a mental thing, doing this at the end of the day when I was tired or what, but the challenge of the workout just felt amped up.
  • The diamond pike presses were a bit of a surprise. I thought I had 'em all throughout and then they just up and refused to cooperate. In a fit of amused anger, I put my hands out to the side and completed regular pike presses for reps, making it a drop-set. Amazingly enough, it felt really good to do that. May need to experiment further with that.

• GHRs were solid. Slowed down on the reps and that just fried the hamstrings completely, in a good way.

• Despite the shoulder abuse, handstands went off without a hitch.

And that's that. It's late, and I'm tired.

'Night, monks!

• Like 3

Sorry I'm late!  You had a great week 1 even with the asshole meals (agree with Nol, you can't eat healthy all the time.  A little spoiling is good!).  I can't do handstands; not sure if it's weakness or just fear of only having hands for support, but man that's awesome that even after the killer shoulder work you can do handstands.  Fantastic! 

• Like 1

There's a lot of potential for good in the middle of all this. I might even try to see about finding something more powerful for my laptop since the processor and the hard drive tend to be integrated.

Linux does look like it's cool once you get the hang of it. It kind of reminds me of watching those coding montages you see in science fiction films. I could be down for learning that sorcery.

I've never heard of the processor and hard drive being integrated before, so I'd be really surprised.  But in terms of upgrades you could do here, I see two big ones.  First, replacing your hard drive with a solid state hard drive, while it has a cost-per-size tradeoff, means it's basically invulnerable to dropping, and it has a few minor speed advantages.  I like it for laptops, for the durability reasons, but if you need a lot of storage, you might not find a sweet spot of price versus the amount of space you need.  And, second, if I can talk you into a switch to Linux, it runs like a racehorse on computers that Windows 8 slows to a crawl.  (You might not see that so dramatically on the USB stick, because of how it works, but I have insanely old netbooks running current versions of Linux, and they run like a dream, aside from my memory-hogging Firefox usage with a hundred-plus tabs open overwhelming their paltry 1GB of RAM.  Any reasonably modern computer, it's fantastic.  Your computer is probably better than you think.)

I was secretly hoping you might be down for that kind of sorcery when we got to that point - reinstalling Windows on a fresh drive is like one of Dante's circles of hell.  (The difficulty is the customer service hoops you need to jump through to get the stuff you need to install... they're so aggressive about piracy that it's really hard to fix your legit Windows install.)  And Linux is huge bang for zero bucks - IMO, a worthy investment in keeping ongoing computer costs down and usefulness up, if you're streamlining expenses and don't have specific needs that rule it out.

BTW, I found a Youtube tutorial that'll show you around the desktop and how to find the file manager:

Hey, everyone. I want to get back to you, but I gotta call it early tonight on account of early shift tomorrow.

Meditation: 2/2

Cleaning: 2/2

Write: 2/2

Read: 2/2

Today was productive. Swings and get ups. Also ate a lot of pizza today, like out of nowhere. That wasn't supposed to happen.

Oh well. As long as I leave today behind, it won't be so bad.

Also, picked up tickets to see Lindsey Stirling in concert next week! Pretty excite, although I'm going to have to get Monday off somehow now.

• Like 5

All you can do is keep moving forward!  And overall, sounds like a very productive day!

...And I'm jealous of your Lindsey Stirling tickets...so lucky!  I bet that show is gonna be awesome.

I can second what Sara said. My laptop is vastly faster running Linux than it was running Windows XP. I never tried Windows 8.

Sorry to disappoint you but the standard view looks very much like a Windows desktop. You could run it from the command line if you want to. You could even set it to make your screen black with green characters for that hard core old school look. It is a flexible system. ;)

Sounds like you are keeping busy with work, exercise and doing fun stuff. Have a good week!

• Like 1

Sorry I'm late!  You had a great week 1 even with the asshole meals (agree with Nol, you can't eat healthy all the time.  A little spoiling is good!).  I can't do handstands; not sure if it's weakness or just fear of only having hands for support, but man that's awesome that even after the killer shoulder work you can do handstands.  Fantastic! 

Yeah, I know. I mean, it's not bad to do that. There's actually a lot of science to back it up from a fat-loss/weight-loss perspective. I just like to feel like I earned it, you know? I would have preferred to do an Emergency Workout, follow it up with some Simple and Sinister, and then two hours of Garage!Karate. But sometimes between sleep and schedule and timing it just doesn't work out.

Yeah, handstands. It took a while for me to get comfortable with them. It wasn't an overnight thing by a long shot - I don't exactly remember, but I think it was like a month or two of practice before I got used to the idea of kicking up. For the longest time I was terrified of it, because I hated the idea that I might overshoot and fall over onto my back. One thing that made a huge difference for me mentally was learning how to safely bail out. So, even though I can fail, it doesn't matter so much, because I know that even if my shoulders give out, I'm not just gonna crash down on my head or something.

I've never heard of the processor and hard drive being integrated before, so I'd be really surprised.  But in terms of upgrades you could do here, I see two big ones.  First, replacing your hard drive with a solid state hard drive, while it has a cost-per-size tradeoff, means it's basically invulnerable to dropping, and it has a few minor speed advantages.  I like it for laptops, for the durability reasons, but if you need a lot of storage, you might not find a sweet spot of price versus the amount of space you need.  And, second, if I can talk you into a switch to Linux, it runs like a racehorse on computers that Windows 8 slows to a crawl.  (You might not see that so dramatically on the USB stick, because of how it works, but I have insanely old netbooks running current versions of Linux, and they run like a dream, aside from my memory-hogging Firefox usage with a hundred-plus tabs open overwhelming their paltry 1GB of RAM.  Any reasonably modern computer, it's fantastic.  Your computer is probably better than you think.)

I was secretly hoping you might be down for that kind of sorcery when we got to that point - reinstalling Windows on a fresh drive is like one of Dante's circles of hell.  (The difficulty is the customer service hoops you need to jump through to get the stuff you need to install... they're so aggressive about piracy that it's really hard to fix your legit Windows install.)  And Linux is huge bang for zero bucks - IMO, a worthy investment in keeping ongoing computer costs down and usefulness up, if you're streamlining expenses and don't have specific needs that rule it out.

BTW, I found a Youtube tutorial that'll show you around the desktop and how to find the file manager:

A-haha, and this is where my ignorance starts to show. ^_^;; Once upon a time I looked into upgrading my computer because I wanted a better graphics card to play games with. My research convinced me that a lot of what I wanted to accomplish couldn't be done because the graphics card was integrated with the hard drive in most laptops. I guess I just assumed that the processor would be likewise, but I'll admit that my research didn't go in that direction.

Think it would work on an i3?

Yeah, I think so. This is something I honestly wanted to try with building a computer rather than with a laptop, but it was something I kept putting off and putting off. I guess I don't really have a choice anymore. :) And so be it, then. Lack of choice is a source of great power.

All you can do is keep moving forward!  And overall, sounds like a very productive day!

...And I'm jealous of your Lindsey Stirling tickets...so lucky!  I bet that show is gonna be awesome.

Couldn't go back. Can't run away. Nowhere for me to run to.

Yeah, I think so! I apparently don't even need to get time off from work - it's another early day. :D So now I gotta figure out if I'm going to find friends to go with or if I'm just gonna say screw 'em and go alone.

I can second what Sara said. My laptop is vastly faster running Linux than it was running Windows XP. I never tried Windows 8.

Sorry to disappoint you but the standard view looks very much like a Windows desktop. You could run it from the command line if you want to. You could even set it to make your screen black with green characters for that hard core old school look. It is a flexible system. ;)

Sounds like you are keeping busy with work, exercise and doing fun stuff. Have a good week!

Nice and nice! I suppose I'll keep it as close to what I know as I can, just because I don't trust myself on things like that.

Yup. Busy, busy, everywhere.

Ahh, graphics card tends to be integrated with the motherboard.  That's likely what you were thinking of?  Ooops, am apparently wrong on that as well.   Windows is an incredible resource hog :-/

Yay Lindsay Stirling tickets and lack of work interference!  Hope you can find some friends to go with.  It's always more fun in a group.

Everytime you mention your garage dojo training, it sounds like more fun.  The heat wouldn't be so much, but it's still great training.  Hope you're taking a good water supply. 

Very much in agreement with Mistr.  Practice those breakfalls!  Getting hurt is not something you need to deal with.

A-haha, and this is where my ignorance starts to show. ^_^;; Once upon a time I looked into upgrading my computer because I wanted a better graphics card to play games with. My research convinced me that a lot of what I wanted to accomplish couldn't be done because the graphics card was integrated with the hard drive in most laptops. I guess I just assumed that the processor would be likewise, but I'll admit that my research didn't go in that direction.

Think it would work on an i3?

Yeah, I think so. This is something I honestly wanted to try with building a computer rather than with a laptop, but it was something I kept putting off and putting off. I guess I don't really have a choice anymore. :) And so be it, then. Lack of choice is a source of great power.

The graphics card is usually integrated with the processor - there's a graphics processor near the main processor, rather than a separate graphics card like in traditional desktops.  The hard drive is a standalone, replaceable piece.  Relatively cheap and easy to replace.

In my experience, the issue with Linux on older/lower spec computers isn't the processor, that's almost always good enough for desktop use, unless you're into, say, intensive video rendering.  The issue is pretty much always the RAM.  Usually you can upgrade that a bit in laptops, though some new models, no.  I'd say that right now, for an everyday-use computer, 2GB RAM was the minimum and 4GB would be sort of the optimal midrange.  (1GB is getting too small for daily use, although the only problem I ever had was with my heavy browser use.  Everything else runs pretty light on the system.)

There are a lot of chips in the Intel i3 range, going back about five years - how old is the computer you're asking about?  My rule of thumb is, if the computer is less than three years old, don't even worry about it.  Three to five years, memory's going to become an issue, but you can make it a good daily-use machine out if you can correct that.  (And maybe limit your open tabs.)  Older than that, and, unless it was very high-end, it's going to start showing its age and become a light-use machine, but I've never had a computer that couldn't basically run Linux well, even at the seven-to-nine year mark.  So if it's your backup computer we're talking about now rather than your new one, and it's significantly older than your new one, there are ways to extend the system's life a fair bit.  I've got a 2007 netbook that still runs quite well for light use.  I wouldn't kill it with a hundred Firefox tabs, but it's just fine for opening a dozen to look some things up for a few minutes, or doing light tasks.  And that netbook is from before they came up with the modern netbook processors, so there are probably microwaves with more computing power than that netbook these days. :)

The gaming thing... if that's still a big concern, it might take a little research.  It's getting a lot better, there's a Steam client, a lot of ports, a bunch of games that work well under Windows emulation... but it's still the big gray area for Linux.

• Like 2

So, wrote some more fun stuff. I'll hide it under the spoilers, but I'll point out that the other GLs have been yelling at me ever since I told them I write to be written into something.

Well, okay then.

"You got directions?" Alina asked. She was running beside me and, of course, she wasn't even remotely out of breath.

"You know," I said, huffing as I tried to cross all the ground, "you're really spoiling it."

"What?"

"The story I tell where you die valiantly in my defense."

"What!" she shouted. "That's not very gentlemanly of you!"

"I'm a feminist. I'm totally willing to let you die for me."

"How enlightened of you," she said before she stuck out her tongue and poured on the speed.

I would have laughed if I had the breath for it. What can I say? I've got a lot of practice running away but I don't practice that nearly enough.

We had just made it down to the street level when I heard the sounds of other violence occurring. There were shouts and all kinds of sounds. I saw the psycho pixie woman on the falling portion of some kind of flying kick. She crashed into a building - no, make that, through a building. Meanwhile, the bearded man was giving ground slowly, a deliberate act. He seemed to pull the Things along like a pupeteer.

Suddenly, something crashed into me from the side. It carried me through an empty window. I shouted and tried to get my gun up before I saw it was the quiet one from earlier. His face was shrouded and something about his black garb made me want to ignore that he was there.

I was about to ask him what the hell that was about when there was an explosion. The air grew hot, but the spell I'd laid on myself earlier protected my ears from the impact of the sound.

"Sorry," he said.

"Nah, you know what," I said, "that's fine. Thanks."

Again. Not good. But fun to write.

Anyway:

Ahh, graphics card tends to be integrated with the motherboard.  That's likely what you were thinking of?  Windows is an incredible resource hog :-/

Yay Lindsay Stirling tickets and lack of work interference!  Hope you can find some friends to go with.  It's always more fun in a group.

Everytime you mention your garage dojo training, it sounds like more fun.  The heat wouldn't be so much, but it's still great training.  Hope you're taking a good water supply. 

Very much in agreement with Mistr.  Practice those breakfalls!  Getting hurt is not something you need to deal with.

Might could be. I don't know what I'm thinking of on any given day of the week, so who knows? :P

I've asked one group of friends and they're a no-go. Another group is all the adults who won't be up to go to nothing on a Monday night and the third group is the dramatics - people who will try to make it all about them or else somehow try to construe this into a date-that-isn't.

I drink a lot of water every day so it hasn't really worked out to being a problem. Yet. Nice thing is, though, sink's just through the door, so if it ever gets too bad, I can just pop in and grab a glass.

I agree. I don't really know how to go about doing that, though. The big thing I need to work on is Zenpo Kaiten, and I don't have the space to practice in the apartment or the time to go to the park. It's a tough nut to crack.

The graphics card is usually integrated with the processor - there's a graphics processor near the main processor, rather than a separate graphics card like in traditional desktops.  The hard drive is a standalone, replaceable piece.  Relatively cheap and easy to replace.

In my experience, the issue with Linux on older/lower spec computers isn't the processor, that's almost always good enough for desktop use, unless you're into, say, intensive video rendering.  The issue is pretty much always the RAM.  Usually you can upgrade that a bit in laptops, though some new models, no.  I'd say that right now, for an everyday-use computer, 2GB RAM was the minimum and 4GB would be sort of the optimal midrange.  (1GB is getting too small for daily use, although the only problem I ever had was with my heavy browser use.  Everything else runs pretty light on the system.)

There are a lot of chips in the Intel i3 range, going back about five years - how old is the computer you're asking about?  My rule of thumb is, if the computer is less than three years old, don't even worry about it.  Three to five years, memory's going to become an issue, but you can make it a good daily-use machine out if you can correct that.  (And maybe limit your open tabs.)  Older than that, and, unless it was very high-end, it's going to start showing its age and become a light-use machine, but I've never had a computer that couldn't basically run Linux well, even at the seven-to-nine year mark.  So if it's your backup computer we're talking about now rather than your new one, and it's significantly older than your new one, there are ways to extend the system's life a fair bit.  I've got a 2007 netbook that still runs quite well for light use.  I wouldn't kill it with a hundred Firefox tabs, but it's just fine for opening a dozen to look some things up for a few minutes, or doing light tasks.  And that netbook is from before they came up with the modern netbook processors, so there are probably microwaves with more computing power than that netbook these days. :)

The gaming thing... if that's still a big concern, it might take a little research.  It's getting a lot better, there's a Steam client, a lot of ports, a bunch of games that work well under Windows emulation... but it's still the big gray area for Linux.

I'd say she's in that three to five year range. As to the one I'm using for back-up... I have no idea. I picked it up in a work misadventure, and it runs well... but it is old. Maybe in the seven to nine range, although I don't know for sure.

Meditation: 3/3

Cleaning: 3/3

Write: 3/3

Read: 3/3

Ugh. Early shift today. Coffee was good and plentiful, but man, I hate it when I lean on that stuff.

Still, there's always one good thing about morning shift, and that's breakfast. Panera does a great job with breakfast. It's the one chance I have to do steak and eggs. Do that up with some white cheddar, some avocado, and some peppadew peppers, with a cup of coffee, and you got yourself a fine breakfast. Nevermind, of course, that it's normally a sandwich and that I delight in grinding the gears of the line when I tell them I want a hot breakfast sandwich without the bread.

They are going to try to kill me some day, I think. Oh well. Least I'll be able to say I saw it coming. :D

Had to go on a minor adventure to get paperwork started for income-based repayment on my student loans. I don't know why they bother ever letting that thing go - I haven't had anything like the money to pay my loans for eight freaking years, and I have no idea when that's going to change. But got that started and should have it faxed out either tomorrow or Friday, depending on how my sleep works out with the job.

Trained again using the new circuit work. Got some interesting data that I think is going to inform things going forward.

Squat Jumps: 6x3

Box Pistols: 5x5x2s

Diamond Push Ups: 5x5x1s

Half Pull Ups: 5x5x1s

One Leg Handstands: 3x20s

Hardstyle Sit Ups: 5x3

Notes:

• So, I compared my times between today's circuit and last time's, when I had the GHR's as a part of it. It was about 25 minutes to complete last time. Compared to today, when I was done in about 16 minutes. This seems to confirm my suspicion that GHRs require too much time to be part of a true circuit. Also, they require a truly ridiculous degree of concentration and technique, something that circuit-style work doesn't necessarily emphasize.
  • I thought that the isometrics might be the reason that things were slower last time, but that was not the case. Oh, it was hard. I caught myself in the mirror and I was covered in a sheen of sweat. I thought for sure I'd break on some of these, but I always found myself on that happy border where you're this close to failing but not quite.
  • It seems like it's probably back to the bridge work for me. There's no reason for me to not make dynamic bridging work in this program, and it's closer to the original set up anyway.
  • As for the GHRs... well, suppose I did them as the assistance move for that day? So it would replace the handstands every other day.
  • This idea introduces a fascinating dynamic into the training - basically, an upper-focused day and a lower-focused day. Very like Stronglifts, actually, as I remember it.

The cleanup continues. At this point, it's about getting as many books bagged up as I can manage. I basically pick one up, scan it against Amazon, and if it's there, I put it in a bag to take and sell.

I keep being amazed at all the crap I keep finding that doesn't fit in as being a book. I have no idea what to do with that stuff yet. Oh well. Downsize what I know I can and figure out the next step when it's time.

And... that's that.

• Like 3

Me, when I get to read Kishi snippets:

intrigued+sloth.gif

(A second gif in case the first one doesn't come across as a happily content sloth in a blanket!)

giphy.gif

• Like 2