Today was a strong day. Got up, did morning routine, and then busted out 220 skips over five minutes. That was a fun way to start the day. Then off to work for eight hours. Spent it at another Panera, but fortunately I have a lot of friends at this one, so it wasn't so bad. I picked up a writing buddy, and determined that I'm officially done with Panera in my heart. It's a great company, and I love the people I work with, but I have responsibilities that I can't meet as long as I'm still here. Also the fact that the company outsources for managers and that I, someone who's been gunning for such a position, trained the freaking managers.

Makes me salty, as the kids say.

So, it looks like the ins I've got right now are for nursing and for some State work evaluating Medicare claims. Time to start assessing what pursuing those looks like in concrete terms. I already know about the State job, so the real question is about CNA stuff, which more than likely means working days at Panera and doing home-study or night school. Groovy.

Notes:

• HAHAHAHA. YES.
  • Tried something different with the pistols. I didn't like leaning on the counter top, because I found no matter what I did, there was always a little bit of torque. I'd had something niggling at the back of my mind, and I finally gave in - I put up my pull up bar and hung a towel over it. By placing my foot near to the towel and keeping my grip, I found I was able to remove all torque from the movement and keep everything in its groove.
  • Pros of towel-support: no torque. Practice can focus more on the technique. Additional balance challenge in that the towel is not a solid support. :tongue:
  • Con of towel-support: reduction in load due to pulling on the towel. I think, however, as I introduce isometrics to this that it'll mitigate and get harder. :)
  • Been a long time since I had a workout where everything advanced at once. :)

Yay for having a strong day! Strong week so far as well.

I hear your frustration with Panera. You have been doing all the right things to get promoted and it hasn't happened. Have you put in applications for manager positions and been turned down?

I think you are smart to investigate other jobs. You took the position at Panera out of desperation, not because you wanted that kind of work. Now that you have a year of steady work with increasing responsibility, you can apply for mid-level positions at other companies.

What kind of work would you really enjoy doing? Do you want time to do writing on the side, or would you like to do creative writing as part of your job? Do you want to get back into personal training? Maybe be a program manager at the Y? Are there skills you learned in college that you would like to use professionally?

It would be a shame to move from one job you don't care about to another that is only marginally better.

• Like 1

They have you training people for the job you want but they aren't giving you?  Not OK.  Not at all.  Salty would be understating it a tad.  You've been working on other options.  This only adds more reason.

Night school would suck thoroughly but it would only be for a short time, relative to the long term benefits.  You'd be motivated enough for home study.

0.o  towel over bar support for pistol squats???  That's ...  awesome.  You are brilliant.

We totally would be.  Now I feel weird. (Also you'd totally be Moon.  You were here first.)

And eventually.  Shoulders are a bit wonky right now, so pushing exercises kinda suck.  Going to hope they get better soon, but for now kinda taking it easy.

Ahhh, job angst.  We really are the same person sometimes.

Hah, incredible. Lucky us. ^_^;

Yup!  Looks like you caught up magnificently!  Awesome!  Really cool hearing about the advancement on the strength training as well!

Ahhh job and job angst and all of that jazz.  Good luck in the next step on your journey :) (not sure how else to phrase that.  Me bad with word things).

Thanks! Just gotta try to move forward somehow. Fortunately, 'forward' has a lot of different ways to go. :)

Yay for having a strong day! Strong week so far as well.

I hear your frustration with Panera. You have been doing all the right things to get promoted and it hasn't happened. Have you put in applications for manager positions and been turned down?

I think you are smart to investigate other jobs. You took the position at Panera out of desperation, not because you wanted that kind of work. Now that you have a year of steady work with increasing responsibility, you can apply for mid-level positions at other companies.

What kind of work would you really enjoy doing? Do you want time to do writing on the side, or would you like to do creative writing as part of your job? Do you want to get back into personal training? Maybe be a program manager at the Y? Are there skills you learned in college that you would like to use professionally?

It would be a shame to move from one job you don't care about to another that is only marginally better.

Thank you! I love having a strong day. Managed to get everything to fire just right.

Well, it's not quite like that. I've been talking to other managers as we do this new roll-out, and apparently if you come up from the inside it's a matter of being noticed and performing well, which I have and I have. But the thing is, even if they promoted me, it's not a straight shot to manager. They'd have me working as a shift-supervisor, which is an hourly position that caps out at $12/hour. I'd be stuck there for like at least another year or so before the potential for management ever even came up.

You're right. I'm not the same as I was a year ago. I'm not desperate. I have work, and that gives me power in terms of looking for work.

Well, here's the thing. I'm not terribly concerned about what day job I get. In the best of all worlds, I personal train by day and write novels by night. Both of those things are super-excite to me (especially since I rediscovered writing). The thing is, I don't have enough capital to do either of those things. With the personal training, I need the body and the cert; so far as the gyms and the public are concerned, one is fairly useless without the other (and I know what they say - it's not the body that matters. Unfortunately, I don't have a cool excuse like surviving cancer or abusing steroids). As to the writing, I need a draft.

In short, I need a day job that's going to pay me enough money to keep me eating and still give me time to do those things. Both of the jobs I have ins with are in a position to do that better than the one I have now.

They have you training people for the job you want but they aren't giving you?  Not OK.  Not at all.  Salty would be understating it a tad.  You've been working on other options.  This only adds more reason.

Night school would suck thoroughly but it would only be for a short time, relative to the long term benefits.  You'd be motivated enough for home study.

0.o  towel over bar support for pistol squats???  That's ...  awesome.  You are brilliant.

Yup. I'm afraid so. Shame, really. I'm good at the work and I like the people I work with, but I'm too old for this.

Night school would suck... but you're right: relative to the long term, it'd be pretty short.

:D Brilliant or desperate. Not sure which.

• Like 1

Ugh. Morning shift again. So gotta call it early.

S&S, and Karate tonight. Good class again. Highlights include throwing a sweet roundhouse at the wrong time during pad work and managing to pull it perfectly so that it touched Sensei in the face, but didn't have any penetrating force, and also throwing lots and lots of sasae, which he's convinced is my throw. Maybe. Had a lot of fun with it. :)

• Like 3

Looking into and preparing for another job sounds great Kishi! Even though it requires a huge amount of energy and focus, it's also really good to change (us humans need it, even in great jobs).

How does it work to get certified to be a personal trainer? Super excite to discover it's one of your dreams :D

YOU ARE KILLING THIS WEEK 6!!!

Great job on the writing! Get the creative flow going!!

How's your last day so far?

I hope one of those better jobs pans out...you deserve more than that bullshit for sure, and AWESOME job at class last night :)

Me too. It's kind of a waiting game at this point - the nursing in is out of town, and the State job hasn't posted any opportunities yet. So, work and wait.

Meditation: 7/7

Cleaning: 7/7

Write: 6/7

Read: 6/7

Welp, that's that. Challenge is... complete.

Meditation: 41/42

Cleaning: 41/42

Write: 34/42

Read: 41/42

Saturday training was fun. Hit 240 skips in five minutes for morning workout. Went to work. Came back and hit up some strength training.

Supported Pistols: 5x5x1s

Diamond Push Ups: 5x5,5,4,2,2x5s

Half Pull Ups: 5x54,4x3s

Hanging Knee Raises: 3x3

Notes:

• Having an overhead support for the pistol feels weird in a good way. It messes with the balance a fair deal, and I feel myself going backwards more. But that's something I have a feeling I was going to confront sooner rather than later anyway. It's all the same to me.
  • Them Diamond Push Ups. :| I just don't know, man. There are no shortcuts on this path.
  • Half Pull Ups were a very pleasant surprise. I thought I'd have a lot less to work with in the tank, but somehow I found some reps. I fried hard on the push ups, so I dunno where they came from. Arms, what y'all doing?
  • Yeah, hanging knee raises. This deserves a fuller explanation. See below.

Okay, so. Remember when I said I'd read Pavel's book on ab training? Well, I did. And I didn't go much further than the sit up, because I figured I should take my time and not worry so much about the rest until I had mastered the sit up.

Well, I lost internet one day, and I had nothing else to do, so I decided to go ahead and just read everything. And I didn't have enough books on my Kindle... but I did have the ab book. So I read ahead... and found that at this point it's literally impossible for me to do the progression he has in mind. What Pavel looks for you to do is to hang at arm's length from the bar in a flexed position and execute a hanging leg raise. I don't have the space for my legs to execute the move to his specifications.

So, since I can't execute to his specifications, and I can't follow the progressions to Wade's specifications, I decided to look at Kavadlo's specifications. I can follow those. So you know what we say: Adapt, Improvise, Overcome. I figure I will work these in every other session as a way to keep things fresh and give my spine a bit of a break.

And, that's pretty much it. I took a cheat yesterday, and I'm taking today to just rest. I might just pop a handstand or two later, though. I'll post my post-challenge thoughts later.

• Like 4

Looking into and preparing for another job sounds great Kishi! Even though it requires a huge amount of energy and focus, it's also really good to change (us humans need it, even in great jobs).

How does it work to get certified to be a personal trainer? Super excite to discover it's one of your dreams :D

YOU ARE KILLING THIS WEEK 6!!!

Great job on the writing! Get the creative flow going!!

How's your last day so far?

It's a good change, and either one of those would triple my income. I know that the cut-off point for money contributing to happiness has been traced to the $60K range, but girl, just not having to worry about rent every month would be a huge change.

Personal training certification is generally the same wherever you go: read a book/go to a class, take a test, get some paper. It's a fairly low bar for entry. I dunno what that would look like across the pond, though. :)

Last day is nice and quiet. I'm taking it to write and put together a calendar of writing deadlines.

Gah, finding out that progression isn't feasible must have been so blasted frustrating.  Glad you found Kavadlo's to replace them.  It's odd how you end up reading cool things when the internet is down :-D  Adapt, Improvise, Overcome is a very good life philosophy.

Lack of financial security is a major source of stress.  Anyone who thinks otherwise and that money is unconnected to happiness is completely full of it and never worried where food and shelter were coming from *snarl*.

You've been so busy doing awesome stuff, working, and hanging out with cool people that you haven't had much time to write.  That pesky sleep interfered too.

• Like 1

Gah, finding out that progression isn't feasible must have been so blasted frustrating.  Glad you found Kavadlo's to replace them.  It's odd how you end up reading cool things when the internet is down :-D  Adapt, Improvise, Overcome is a very good life philosophy.

Lack of financial security is a major source of stress.  Anyone who thinks otherwise and that money is unconnected to happiness is completely full of it and never worried where food and shelter were coming from *snarl*.

You've been so busy doing awesome stuff, working, and hanging out with cool people that you haven't had much time to write.  That pesky sleep interfered too.

Yeah, it was pretty frustrating at first. I can do a leg raise assuming that I hold myself up in a neutral grip. But that's not the spec. Fortunately, though, I think I have a good way forward and assuming that I don't lose track of it all in the chaos that I'm inflicting on myself, things should be good.

Yeah, for serious. It's easy to seek happiness when you have the time to be miserable.

Eh. I do what I gotta do, you know?

• Like 1

That is indeed a solid end-of-challenge report.  And what's also good is even though you didn't hit your total writing goal, you definitely reignited your passion for it this time around it seems.  Which will help carry it onwards into the next challenge.  Because we will see writing in the next challenge, riiiiiiiight?

It's a good change, and either one of those would triple my income. I know that the cut-off point for money contributing to happiness has been traced to the $60K range, but girl, just not having to worry about rent every month would be a huge change.

I really hope you get the newer/more stable jobs.  My neighbor recently took that plunge from "Very unstable adjunct professor" gig to something a lot more regular, and he's been amazingly happy since then (and he was much in the same boat as you, scraping by on rent and car and food and all that).  You deserve some stability, brothah.

Also, did not know they actually plotted out the cut off point for happiness to salary range.  Part of me wants to argue it, but then I realized I spend so much on my student loans that it might actually be true once I stop throwing gobs of money at them and have disposable income. (Thoughts on what to do - visit and help Nerds.  Duh.)

• Like 1

Also, did not know they actually plotted out the cut off point for happiness to salary range.  Part of me wants to argue it, but then I realized I spend so much on my student loans that it might actually be true once I stop throwing gobs of money at them and have disposable income. (Thoughts on what to do - visit and help Nerds.  Duh.)

100% on that student loans nonsense. if it weren't for them, i'd be

DuckTales-gif-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-37819

• Like 1

Great job on your challenge!

You did an amazing job of keeping up with your training considering how much you had to travel and work odd shifts. You also kept up with everyone's threads here, on top of your reading and writing goals. You stuck with a program for the whole challenge in the face of shiny alternatives. Plus starting training again after a long hiatus. Solid progress all around.  :triumphant:

• Like 1

You do indeed.  Though your less successful writing goal is still at 80%.  Wow. 

Clickety-clack go the keys...

That is indeed a solid end-of-challenge report.  And what's also good is even though you didn't hit your total writing goal, you definitely reignited your passion for it this time around it seems.  Which will help carry it onwards into the next challenge.  Because we will see writing in the next challenge, riiiiiiiight?

I really hope you get the newer/more stable jobs.  My neighbor recently took that plunge from "Very unstable adjunct professor" gig to something a lot more regular, and he's been amazingly happy since then (and he was much in the same boat as you, scraping by on rent and car and food and all that).  You deserve some stability, brothah.

Write-ly so, you will see some writing next challenge. :D I'm about at the point I've been before where I stall out and crash and burn, but I may have something for that this time...

It would be nice to have something mid-level for once. Something stable and regular that I could build a routine around rather than having to slapdash it all together at the last second.

I would argue that actually being able to pay your student loans is a source of happiness, but that's just me. :)

Training people to do the job you want is suck. :( I'm sorry.

I hope you find a good opportunity for you.

I have enjoyed your writing this challenge. :)

All those 41/42.. that's cool. I'll have a challenge like that some day! Lol

Well, like I said, those opportunities that are in front of me seem like they're good. I hate admitting that I'm money-motivated, especially because that makes me a ringer for a sales job, but that's just the way it is.

Thanks! I enjoyed writing it. But I'm always glad to hear people enjoy reading it. :)

You'll get there. You totally will. It's coming.

100% on that student loans nonsense. if it weren't for them, i'd be

I would not be

but only because I don't know how to swim.

Great job on your challenge!

You did an amazing job of keeping up with your training considering how much you had to travel and work odd shifts. You also kept up with everyone's threads here, on top of your reading and writing goals. You stuck with a program for the whole challenge in the face of shiny alternatives. Plus starting training again after a long hiatus. Solid progress all around.  :triumphant:

Thank you! It's a lot. But it's fun. I enjoy it. :)

• Like 1

Yes! Very much that! I really appreciated your comments & input on my thread. You, Teirin, JD, and Lou really helped me stay motivated.

That's what we're here for. :)

That and also apparently gifs.

• Like 2

I wish I could just 'pop a hand stand' or two on a rest day.  Thankfully I have a goal for that but still....

God you're a fantastic writer, really enjoy hearing your thoughts on your challenge, which you did FANTASTIC on btw :D.  Also...

anigif_crazy-critter-stare-down-19624-13

Did someone say gifs?

f62b3f36db2813c909310fa020c44d6c.jpg

• Like 1

I wish I could just 'pop a hand stand' or two on a rest day.  Thankfully I have a goal for that but still....

God you're a fantastic writer, really enjoy hearing your thoughts on your challenge, which you did FANTASTIC on btw :D.  Also...

anigif_crazy-critter-stare-down-19624-13

Did someone say gifs?

f62b3f36db2813c909310fa020c44d6c.jpg

Eh, it takes time. Months and months of time, but it's worthwhile in the end.

:) I'll try to put up some more samples if I stumble on any that I like a lot (which I'm finding more).

She just walked in!!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-16228-1371082175-4.

Kishi, I really love reading your challenges. :) thanks for posting so much, and you're rocking like crazy on your goals.

:) You're welcome. I'm glad I get to have such a crazy awesome adventure and that I have a bunch of people following along. :)

So, I guess I need to post my thoughts before I allow myself to build the next topic.

Basically? I feel really good. The idea was to cement a bunch of changes that I started with at the beginning of the year and see if I could level them up and evolve them into something else. And I did, although I can't say I did perfectly on any one of them.

1. Meditation: The goal was go from my 2-3 minutes to ten minutes on the regular. I can do ten minutes now, but it's not always ten minutes when I do. Since I sit down to meditate at the end of the day, there have definitely been times when I go to take a breath and I yawn instead, at which point I figure I'm being told to go to sleep. So I do.
  2. Clean: This one started out strong and led to a bunch of stuff like getting rid of books and old clothes and cleaning up some space, which I have now and it's very good. I undertook it, however, out of a desperate need to lighten my load before moving... which ended up not being necessary. I've definitely kept up with it since then, but it's gotten a lot slower, and I have stuff in bags to take out now that I haven't taken out yet.
  3. Write: This is the big one that's changed the most for me. I'm back in my writing groove again. I keep showing up and doing the work, and as a result, I've found and had a lot of fun. I even got to share with you guys, which was even better. I've learned a bit about how to listen to the Muse, and not to freak out when She's telling me about the world I'm building rather than the story I'm writing, though I still got a long ways to go on that. But learning that I don't have to be the Most Specialest Snowflake with the Prettiest Uniquest Idea has been a huge load off my back.
  4. Reading: I said it before and I'll say it again - this has reminded me how boring it is to be bored. I loved reading. I love it still. I'm glad I have it back in my life again. :)

So, what's next on the horizon?

In some ways I know, and in some ways I don't.

I'm going to have another writing goal going forward, because I've made it to this point before where I re-establish myself as a writing person, but then I always peter out again. I've got a couple of big changes in mind that I think might make a difference (and hey: at least if I fail, I'll fail in a different direction. I can be down with that. :D).

I'm also feeling drawn to some training/diet goals again. Not necessarily to build a habit but just to track things. For one thing, I think I stumbled onto something when I told BT that a more flexible strategy for me would be to pick a day to cheat and wait and see how I felt on that day. Something about that just feels right to me. And for another, I'm throwing a lot of chaos at myself these days for my training. That's not a bad thing, but there's a potential problem in the dosage, so I want to make a point of posting concrete numbers to make sure that I'm actually getting better and developing myself rather than just screwing around.

I also want to do something more with the meditation goal. I picked up a program some months ago by Mike Gillette. Mr. Gillette is kind of an archetype for whom I could aspire to be - a strongman/soldier/spec-ops trainer/martial artist/Christian. And he's legit, too: he's the Guinness World Record holder for breaking arrows against his throat. He put out a program that was about building and developing the mind, and it's what initially pushed me to get my meditation time up to ten minutes. Now that this is done, it's time to take the next step.

Come to think of it, though, i could probably stand to make computer repair a goal too. I've gotten used to the new set up for writing/multimedia, but I can't stay on this.

Okay, then. New topic coming...

• Like 3